Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

Reaction Score
To me Dre is a player that will surprise on Draft night being picked higher than expected. Great teammate, high motor, unreal athleticism. He has a significant lid on his ceiling because of that shot but his floor is also very high. Once the prospects that have the ability to grow into MVP's if the cards fell right came off the board I think he's in play. He's a plug and play starter and a glue guy in a league that lacks his skill set. This will come as a surprise but I think he goes top 20. I'd be surprised if it's much higher than that but if he's sitting there in the mid 20's I'd be mildly surprised.

Reaction Score
I love Andre but the fact that a scout loves his winning plays speaks more to a belief in his ability to ultimately carve out a role in the NBA. I don't think that implies, at all, that he's going to go in the first round. But I do believe he's gone, and I wish him nothing but the best.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
To me Dre is a player that will surprise on Draft night being picked higher than expected. Great teammate, high motor, unreal athleticism. He has a significant lid on his ceiling because of that shot but his floor is also very high. Once the prospects that have the ability to grow into MVP's if the cards fell right came off the board I think he's in play. He's a plug and play starter and a glue guy in a league that lacks his skill set. This will come as a surprise but I think he goes top 20. I'd be surprised if it's much higher than that but if he's sitting there in the mid 20's I'd be mildly surprised.
I tend to agree with you. If I’m the Brooklyn Nets for example who have picks #21 and #22- they just hit the reset button and are beginning a new rebuild - I think a guy like Andre Jackson who is a A+ culture presence, winner, and potential high-level connective piece - is well worth one of those picks for my franchise.

I do think he could be plug and play off the bench because of how well he processes the game… not day 1 starter unless the team is deliberately tanking

Reaction Score
anyone else watching the combine? andre, great defense & passing but you need to hit that floater if that’s your go to shot.

Reaction Score
Andre's gone. He'll be a late 1st or early 2nd pick. Still don't think it's the right move as I think his stock value and development will be higher playing next year at UConn than ending up in the development league. Money will be better in the short-term though.

Reaction Score
Andre's gone. He'll be a late 1st or early 2nd pick. Still don't think it's the right move as I think his stock value and development will be higher playing next year at UConn than ending up in the development league. Money will be better in the short-term though.

His stock is what it is. The development thing is just not correct.

Reaction Score
Reading tea leaves here.. If AJ is talking about leaving.. He's been getting enough positive vibes from NBA to suggest they'll roll with his athleticism/BBIQ/upside/defense/creativity/winning attitude/work ethic and overlook --in the short term--his offensive shot making deficiencies..

On the right team and with the right skill development staff.. He'll carve out a nice NBA career.. Go get it Andre..

BTW..Any Yarder who has been in a professional/managerial position to hire someone.. Andre has strong interviewing skills.. Promoting his brand.. A winner's attitude.

Edit: Part of the Combine experience when meeting with teams..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was at 48/40/81 this year. To get to 14ppg he would need 2 more buckets per game. It really isn't that out of line. If you want me to be a little more realistic, I'll say 45/38/85... but that's silly to say instead of just using round numbers.

90% from the line is a tough ask. Hawkins was a freak shooter and hit 88%. I doubt Alex goes below 80%. He's a really, really good FT shooter.

I expect his FG% will drop because we should see him drive the ball more aggressively vs. tough defense.
There's been a total of 11 players in college to hit 50/40/90 in college since '93. I won't say its impossible...but it's certainly improbable. Would be a heck of an accomplishment

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
His stock is what it is. The development thing is just not correct.
I get the gist of NBA development > college development, but there’s a lot more shots to be had to actually work on his scoring here than at the NBA level where he won’t have the amount of control and green light as a young guy.

It’d pretty much be like when he played with Martin and RJ Cole for him. That’s my fear and don’t think his offense can get better that way. If he comes back, he’ll have full control of the team to work on whatever he needs and guys who will trust him.

Reaction Score
I get the gist of NBA development > college development, but there’s a lot more shots to be had to actually work on his scoring here than at the NBA level where he won’t have the amount of control and green light as a young guy.

It’d pretty much be like when he played with Martin and RJ Cole for him. That’s my fear and don’t think his offense can get better that way. If he comes back, he’ll have full control of the team to work on whatever he needs and guys who will trust him.

I wasn't referring to games. I meant working with a professional coaching staff on a daily basis for an organization at least nominally invested in getting a return on their investment.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming that's CV's senior season at the bottom. Man such a shame that he came in during our worst years. Kid was AJ before AJ, just a hungry husky.
Junior season, he shot 90% on FTs his senior year but was under 40% on FGs and 34.4% from 3

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to games. I meant working with a professional coaching staff on a daily basis for an organization at least nominally invested in getting a return on their investment.
That work isn’t going to mean much if he doesn’t get many game reps to work on it.

Even with Lonzo Ball, who’s kind of an okay comp for Andre, it took a lot of work and game reps to get the confidence to make his shot consistent. And a lot of patience because he’s the #2 pick and a PG who had the ball a lot. I’m not sure if Andre will have that kind of patience and investment to get the game reps he needs to be confident in his scoring.

We didn’t even see it here until the last stretch of the year. I would personally like to see him build on that for a year rather than going to the NBA without that confidence and foundation. But that doesn’t matter because he’s probably gone at this point.

FWIW Matisse Thybull played all 4 years and got drafted 1st round pick 20 and he doesn’t have the playmaking Andre has.

Reaction Score
That work isn’t going to mean much if he doesn’t get many game reps to work on it.

Even with Lonzo Ball, who’s kind of an okay comp for Andre, it took a lot of work and game reps to get the confidence to make his shot consistent. And a lot of patience because he’s the #2 pick and a PG who had the ball a lot. I’m not sure if Andre will have that kind of patience and investment to get the game reps he needs to be confident in his scoring.

We didn’t even see it here until the last stretch of the year. I would personally like to see him build on that for a year rather than going to the NBA without that confidence and foundation. But that doesn’t matter because he’s probably gone at this point.

FWIW Matisse Thybull played all 4 years and got drafted 1st round pick 20 and he doesn’t have the playmaking Andre has.
It's time to let it go, Andre is gone. And he'll get significantly more game reps when he goes too, the G League season is 50 games. He'll have plenty of opportunities to get his shots up, and the development he needs is going to come from practice anyway

Reaction Score

Lonzo Ball shot 41% on 5.5 three point attempts in his one season at UCLA. He made threes all the time off the bounce. Andre has a ton of trouble even creating a three and the midrange jumper isn't even a part of his offensive game. His scoring package is basically one hand floaters from outside the ft line and in.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's time to let it go, Andre is gone. And he'll get significantly more game reps when he goes too, the G League season is 50 games. He'll have plenty of opportunities to get his shots up, and the development he needs is going to come from practice anyway
Yeah he’s gone. But the G League is filled with guys who are fighting to make the NBA and guys aren’t going to look to get him the ball. If he’s not aggressive, it’ll look like his sophomore season again. Getting better in practice is not a thing in basketball if it doesn’t come with game reps.

Andre is probably one of my favorite UConn players in awhile, just really worried about how ready he is currently.

Reaction Score

I disagree with the notion that “game reps” are the key for Andre. He has a completely broken jump shot that needs to be rebuilt by professionals, not “game reps.”

And again, Lonzo is a bad comparison, because there is no good comparison. Lonzo has a funky looking jump shot but he shoots it a lot and always has. In his last year at Chino Hills he shot something like 36% from three on more than 200 attempts. (On an absolutely crazy high school team that murdered everyone - those kids would pull up from 30 feet.). That’s not comparable to what Andre’s up against.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I disagree with the notion that “game reps” are the key for Andre. He has a completely broken jump shot that needs to be rebuilt by professionals, not “game reps.”

And again, Lonzo is a bad comparison, because there is no good comparison. Lonzo has a funky looking jump shot but he shoots it a lot and always has. In his last year at Chino Hills he shot something like 36% from three on more than 200 attempts. (On an absolutely crazy high school team that murdered everyone - those kids would pull up from 30 feet.). That’s not comparable to what Andre’s up against.
We’re on the same page there with Lonzo. Think they’re feel for the game is similar though as far as being able to impact it without scoring. But scoring wise yeah, Andre is different than Lonzo because he actually has to develop an ability to score, not just become a more efficient one.

Even after being rebuilt he’s still going to need to work on it in game to become confident in it. Just wondering how that works out but maybe it does. And we’ll all be hoping it does.

Reaction Score

He's had game reps for 3 years now with no discernable improvement in his scoring ability.

Rule #1 of learning to score is higher volume is only a good thing if you have a repeatable form with enough arc (Andre does not). Otherwise you're just reinforcing bad habits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom