Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lots of GLeague guys who got bumped up talk about this. (May be mistaken, but Toscanini -Anderson is one of them I think) NBA is filled with dudes who can score. If you want to get bumped up & stick you’re not goin to be a primary option on the team. Theres lots of lifelong G league guys that score tons of points (Antonio Blakeny a few years ago comes to mind, Jimmer too)

Dudes that make the NBA and stick in that 7/8th and lower role are guys who have a specific skill set they’ve mastered and can bring to a team. (Exceptional rebounder, defensive stopper, etc) Teams prob are worried a little about his scoring, but likely are more scouting him as to what his skill set could bring to their team in a bench capacity.
All of those role player guys can still put the ball in the hole some.

We’re seriously underrating just how much of a non-scorer Andre is to the point a contested layup, especially at the NBA level, can be difficult. He JUST started to get that down during the NCAA tournament.

I’m curious if there’s any of the big time role players today in the NBA who weren’t good scorers in college. Even Grant Williams averaged 19(!!!) a game at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
All of those role player guys can still put the ball in the hole some.

We’re seriously underrating just how much of a non-scorer Andre is to the point a contested layup, especially at the NBA level, can be difficult. He JUST started to get that down during the NCAA tournament.

I’m curious if there’s any of the big time role players today in the NBA who weren’t good scorers in college. Even Grant Williams averaged 19(!!!) a game at Tennessee.

matisse thybulle eventually fell out of the rotation in philly, but i think he might be the best current example of a bad offensive player who went first round and got a lot of NBA PT.

he averaged 9/3/2 on 41% shooting (30% from three) his senior season and went, like, 20th overall on the strength of his defense. andre is a similar-level defender, but brings way more passing and rebounding ability.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
matisse thybulle eventually fell out of the rotation in philly, but i think he might be the best current example of a bad offensive player who went first round and got a lot of NBA PT.

he averaged 9/3/2 on 41% shooting (30% from three) his senior season and went, like, 20th overall on the strength of his defense. andre is a similar-level defender, but brings way more passing and rebounding ability.
Matisse is close, but prior to his senior year he was a double digits scorer and shot about 36-40% from 3 on 4 attempts a game. I’m not sure what happened his senior year for his numbers to drop like they did. He also averaged an insane 3.5 steals and 2.5 blocks per game too. That’s unheard of.

He’s kind of a good example that you can still get drafted somewhat high as a senior.

Reaction Score
Matisse is close, but prior to his senior year he was a double digits scorer and shot about 36-40% from 3 on 4 attempts a game. I’m not sure what happened his senior year for his numbers to drop like they did. He also averaged an insane 3.5 steals and 2.5 blocks per game too. That’s unheard of.

He’s kind of a good example that you can still get drafted somewhat high as a senior.
fair enough!

the other guy that comes to mind is herb jones, who average 7/5/2 on 43% shooting for his career, but had a much more solid senior season. obviously not a perfect comp either, but i think those two are the closest active players.

i think it all speaks to how unique of a player jackson is. don't forget -- his game is beloved by the computer models despite his lack of efficiency on offense. very few people in college put up the type of numbers he does.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
fair enough!

the other guy that comes to mind is herb jones, who average 7/5/2 on 43% shooting for his career, but had a much more solid senior season. obviously not a perfect comp either, but i think those two are the closest active players.

i think it all speaks to how unique of a player jackson is. don't forget -- his game is beloved by the computer models despite his lack of efficiency on offense. very few people in college put up the type of numbers he does.
I like the Herb Jones scoring comp. Another guy who came back his senior year too! ;)

Andre Jackson is almost elite at nearly everything else on the court for the numbers to like him, that’s not a discussion. It’s part of the frustration that he isn’t a better scorer just yet because it would take his game to a whole other level.

Reaction Score
Another guy who came back his senior year too! ;)
let it go GIF

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jackson may never be a three point threat or even get a pull-up jump-shot, but he’ll be successful in the league if he can just get to the rim and finish. As others have pointed out, he’s great at everything else.

Reaction Score
Andre is a prototypical connector. I doubt he ever has that ball-dominant role as a starter, but he could be a strong bench leader.
Definitely agree. Leadership is a skill and most guys don’t have it. I think it’s clear Andre possesses that skill set and has a true desire to do whatever it takes to win. I’ve said it a bunch, but I’d bet on a guy like him to just figure out his niche and carve out that role. Guys who desperately want to win and are good leaders tend to find a way, even if it’s a bit unconventional.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’ll make it as the player he is now. But I don’t blame him for taking the guaranteed millions while continuing his development in the G league.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson Jr.
entered Wednesday's scrimmage midway through the first quarter, immediately broke up a lob, turned it into a fastbreak bucket and drilled a catch-and-shoot jumper on the next possession. He filled the rest of the game with more defensive playmaking, savvy passes and a soft floater in the lane.
He was quieter on Thursday, and Jackson struggled to make jumpers during his pro day. Scouts even laughed at how bad it went while appreciating the fact his camp didn't try to hide his shot. After Connecticut's national title run, it's still become easier to buy him as an outlier, capable of influencing NBA games as a transition weapon, ball-mover and defender—without needing to create or shoot—playing the same role he elevated the Huskies in.

Reaction Score
Andre is not starting in the NBA next year man, be realistic.

Even if he goes 20-30 like you think, those guys rarely are starters year 1.
Agreed, teams picking that late already know who they starters are

caw

Reaction Score
Agreed, teams picking that late already know who they starters are

Usually I would agree (and I do agree it's not likely 20-30 would start) and even this year that may be true to an extent but the best teams aren't drafting late in the first this year.

The final five picks are slated as:

Indiana
Charlotte
Utah
Indiana
Clippers

Only the Clippers were a playoff team. All these teams should be pretty flexible with their rotations and even the Clippers sit their wing starters a lot for rest.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I mentioned this when discussing Bouk. One of the reasons why he's floundering in the league is the only way he knows how to play is as a primary-scoring top-dog. And there are only a handful of those guys on the planet.

A team can't have 13 Jayson Tatum's. They need a Grant Williams too, or the team just doesn't work. The barrier to entry in that role is much higher compared to a glue guy, 3&D, or connector. That's why I think Andre could make a splash in the league.
Wish the Cs had a Tatum or Williams!!

Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I hope that AJAX can quickly & completely overhall his shooting with the right help. Note: I also thought that last year at this time. Ha! He actually got worse last summer.

The kid is such a winner on so many levels. But he cannot shoot a lick & must change his mental approach to scoring to play at the next level.

Although the NBA is based on exceptional athleticism trumping all else (AJAX is a great fit for that), we must remember that they also play combo zones in the League. And... they ALL can shoot, even the marginal players.

It wasn't that long ago that guys from Villanova, Xavier & Marquette were packing the paint in 2-3 zones against UConn & the guys guarding AJAX were smirking & disrespectfully waving him off when he'd get the ball at the three point line. And then things would get ugly. We lost & lost during that stretch,

Hurley then moved AJAX along the baseline which worked much better for AJAX & the team the rest of the season. But the NBA bigs are not going to allow 'hiding' AJAX's non-shooting along the baseline routes. They will BTS out of him.

So it gets down to the basic tenant of the game: Put the ball in the hoop, AJAX! That's the skill every player needs & most develop. AJAX apparently missed that one.

AJAX has got to show that he can shoot or he won't get any minutes in any pro league for very long. G League role player at best. (hope I'm wrong about that.)

I wish AJAX All the best! Outstanding young former Huskie. Great Team Player!

Father Demo

Reaction Score
Jackson may never be a three point threat or even get a pull-up jump-shot, but he’ll be successful in the league if he can just get to the rim and finish. As others have pointed out, he’s great at everything else.

For sure... But he hasn't shown any ability to do that thing you listed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For sure... But he hasn't shown any ability to do that thing you listed.
Agreed. A lot of players go into the league limited but with having nothing else to do other than play ball, they improve. Hoping he can

Reaction Score
Agreed. A lot of players go into the league limited but with having nothing else to do other than play ball, they improve. Hoping he can
It's easier to develop a shot than to develop athleticism. IF, he can get even remotely competent at scoring he should have a long productive NBA career

Reaction Score

Absolutely... A great deal of it is mental. There is zero reason that he should not have been dunking on people fairly regularly when he was here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom