Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

Reaction Score
To clarify, Jackson had a 39.5" max vert and a 30.5" standing vert.

Can see both on boards here:
FwM1as-aAAIM6KP

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I think teams are probably more focused on his form and whether they think it’s workable. If there’s a positive here for me, he looked best from the corner. He’s never going to be a guy who gets up quick threes from the outside over close outs, so he really needs to be able to drill the corner shot consistently

Reaction Score
Not to be a wet blanket but 16/25 in an empty gym isn't gonna change any minds. Dillon Mitchell shot 16/25 too and he didn't attempt a single 3 all season
The consensus is/was he can't shoot 3's leave him open. So 16/25 does change minds, I mean are you saying 64% isn't enough, you need 70 or 80?!
Generally speaking I've always heard players can be expected to shoot 25% worse in games vs practice, shots in games are a mix of sometimes open, varying degrees of contested etc

P.S. - Why don't they do the All Star game 3pt shooting contest this way?! I suspect guys would be making a higher % off the catch and it'd be more fun.

Reaction Score
The consensus is/was he can't shoot 3's leave him open. So 16/25 does change minds, I mean are you saying 64% isn't enough, you need 70 or 80?!
Generally speaking I've always heard players can be expected to shoot 25% worse in games vs practice, shots in games are a mix of sometimes open, varying degrees of contested etc

P.S. - Why don't they do the All Star game 3pt shooting contest this way?! I suspect guys would be making a higher % off the catch and it'd be more fun.
I mean, short answer is yes. I think he needed to shoot better than 64% on open 3's to change minds. It's a small sample so I don't think anything he (or anyone else for that matter) did would significantly change minds. Teams aren't going to suddenly guard him closely as a result of this.

Which isn't a knock on Andre. I still think he's worthy of an early 2nd round pick, and I still think he should stay in the draft. I'm just not sure the combine is a big factor for a guy like him. We know he can shoot in an empty gym, we know he's gonna test off the charts athletically, the question teams have can only be answered in games

Reaction Score
Kills me to say this but him shooting like that, even in an empty gym, means there's little chance he's coming back.

Agreed and he shouldn’t come back. He’s ready

Reaction Score
Kills me to say this but him shooting like that, even in an empty gym, means there's little chance he's coming back.

16/25 is not good in an empty gym by D1 standards, let alone NBA standards. It's actually pretty bad. I could shoot 60% from deep from 3 alone in the gym in college, and I was a horrible D2 player who never played more than 5 minutes a game.

Reaction Score

The 25% rule is not for repetitive shooting drills standing in place like this. That's a weird rule of thumb for drills where you're running around cones and stuff. And it's kind of a bad rule to begin with.

Reaction Score
16/25 is not good in an empty gym by D1 standards, let alone NBA standards. It's actually pretty bad. I could shoot 60% from deep from 3 alone in the gym in college, and I was a horrible D2 player who never played more than 5 minutes a game.
Right but we’re not comparing him to your normal NBA prospect. Shooting expectations for a non-center can’t get much lower than they are with Andre and with those numbers and a slightly more repeatable looking jumper that may be all it takes for one front office to take a chance

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Right but we’re not comparing him to your normal NBA prospect. Shooting expectations for a non-center can’t get much lower than they are with Andre and with those numbers and a slightly more repeatable looking jumper that may be all it takes for one front office to take a chance
You’re an nba gm and you’re trying to decide who to use your draft pick on (something that plays a big role in your job security). You have all the previous data on Jackson’s offense, and now you’ve seen him take 25 unguarded shots and shoot ok. Is that giving you what you need to project him as a respectable shooter?

Like I said before I watched a few minutes of a shooting drill they were doing with groups of 4 players and he was very cold. Noticeably struggling the most of the group.

I think there’s only so much you can glean from limited sample size drills.

Reaction Score

25 shots in an empty gym doesn't replace 3 years of data on the court. The combine is more for fans than teams, honestly.

His shot doesn't look any more repeatable than it did a year ago. It's completely broken. He might've tightened up his footwork a bit, but that's probably just because he's in an empty gym. He shoots like a t-rex. It would be one thing if that god-awful form went in, but it hasn't consistently. Still a non-shooter and a total form rebuild right now.

Reaction Score
25 shots in an empty gym doesn't replace 3 years of data on the court. The combine is more for fans than teams, honestly.

His shot doesn't look any more repeatable than it did a year ago. It's completely broken. He might've tightened up his footwork a bit, but that's probably just because he's in an empty gym. He shoots like a t-rex. It would be one thing if that god-awful form went in, but it hasn't consistently. Still a non-shooter and a total form rebuild right now.
But if he came back & got in a gym with Ray or Rip, he could go back next year and shoot 23/25….

Reaction Score
I mean, short answer is yes. I think he needed to shoot better than 64% on open 3's to change minds. It's a small sample so I don't think anything he (or anyone else for that matter) did would significantly change minds. Teams aren't going to suddenly guard him closely as a result of this.

Which isn't a knock on Andre. I still think he's worthy of an early 2nd round pick, and I still think he should stay in the draft. I'm just not sure the combine is a big factor for a guy like him. We know he can shoot in an empty gym, we know he's gonna test off the charts athletically, the question teams have can only be answered in games
Are those shots harder or easier than free throws? More difficult, right? 64% from the line would not be something to brag about but let’s say he could shoot 72-75% from the line. Would that be good enough? I think so.

Reaction Score
Are those shots harder or easier than free throws? More difficult, right? 64% from the line would not be something to brag about but let’s say he could shoot 72-75% from the line. Would that be good enough? I think so.

I read this 4x and still have no idea what you're trying to say.

72% from FT in an empty practice gym is not good either. Pretty terrible actually.

Reaction Score
To clarify, Jackson had a 39.5" max vert and a 30.5" standing vert.

Can see both on boards here:
FwM1as-aAAIM6KP
I know nothing about this stuff but these don’t strike me as elite NBA numbers. Top 4 in one one not top 10 in another. If u mulitply that by 10 years of draftees in the nba there are 39/99 more athletic guys

Reaction Score

All a GM needs to see is some slight improvement or willingness to work and a shot that isn’t totally defunct. Shooting 60% on open looks in an empty gym is not impressive at all, as you’ve covered, but it may be enough to make a GM take a chance on someone if they’re on the fence. That’s all

Reaction Score
Agree 100.
I thought I was losing my grip on reality.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom