Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

Reaction Score
Correct me if im wrong, but I think all the top players go now.. Saw an article somewhere. I think Wemby only one not in attendance due to his team being in the playoffs?
This is perfect illustration of the crazy disparate takes in this thread.
Those that are proved wrong are more sure of themselves than folks just trying to have a discussion.
The problem is the combine is so crowded that no one goes anymore.

Reaction Score
This will have much more impact on draft position than performance in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
This is perfect illustration of the crazy disparate takes in this thread.
Those that are proved wrong are more sure of themselves than folks just trying to have a discussion.
The problem is the combine is so crowded that no one goes anymore.
Im so confused. Are you coming at me? I genuinely thought they were like requiring top prospects to attend the combine in the future..

Reaction Score
Im so confused. Are you coming at me? I genuinely thought they were like requiring top prospects to attend the combine in the future..

No sorry, the opposite. I think husky429 had a passioned take that no one goes. You dispelled diplomatically.

Reaction Score
There is no number, because it's a 25 shot sample on broken form. Show me the number on 1000 shots and we can talk. Better yet, show me live drills at max speed after a workout.

The reality is that in the eyes of the league, he's a 0 3PA per game guy without a total rebuild. This drill is part of the combine, but ultimately meaningless for his draft position.

I don't think anyone is hoping Andre can't compete in the league. I see people setting realistic expectations for his draftability and role. I think he can make millions as a bench leader, defender, rebounder, passer and energy guy and take a few years to develop a passable shot in the meantime.
People here are getting way too obsessed with looking at him shooting a very small sample size and making some of them. These workouts really aren’t going to show that much we didn’t already know about him & what we can see on film/his whole body of work. There are things he does well and there will be an NBA team who will draft him based on those skills you outlined. From there, they will try to rebuild his shot and attempt to turn him into some type of scoring threat. These workouts really don’t tell us much, we already know where he is at. He didn’t just learn how to shoot all the sudden. It will take him years of development to become respectable in that category, if it happens at all. People need to just sit back and enjoy the process for him. He will get drafted and he will get a shot. Easy to bet and root for a kid like that.

Reaction Score
Andre might get drafted in the first round it just won’t have anything to do with making 16-25 in the combine.

Guys at this level can do crazy things in an empty gym that just don’t translate to real games. A couple years ago there was all this talk that Mitchell Robinson was working on shooting 3s, there was footage of him hitting 3 after 3 in a row. 2 years later he has no in game jumper from any range and he’s a 45% free throw shooter

Reaction Score
I would have bet my life on Andre jumping over 40" max vert. That is absolutely astonishing. I would have thought he'd hit 44". Still, looks like he's off to a good start.

Reaction Score
People here are getting way too obsessed with looking at him shooting a very small sample size and making some of them. These workouts really aren’t going to show that much we didn’t already know about him & what we can see on film/his whole body of work. There are things he does well and there will be an NBA team who will draft him based on those skills you outlined. From there, they will try to rebuild his shot and attempt to turn him into some type of scoring threat. These workouts really don’t tell us much, we already know where he is at. He didn’t just learn how to shoot all the sudden. It will take him years of development to become respectable in that category, if it happens at all. People need to just sit back and enjoy the process for him. He will get drafted and he will get a shot. Easy to bet and root for a kid like that.

He's also probably taking 500+ shots in a team workout in more game-like situations.

Reaction Score
He's also probably taking 500+ shots in a team workout in more game-like situations.
Yep exactly. And recency bias of course, but I can’t help but watch PJ Tucker this postseason and think to myself: Andre ***could get to that level/role. PJ had a pretty astonishing career, leaving the NBA for years, only to come back and find himself a role. He’s stuck around a long long time in the NBA for a guy who barely scores the ball.

Reaction Score
Andre might get drafted in the first round it just won’t have anything to do with making 16-25 in the combine.

Guys at this level can do crazy things in an empty gym that just don’t translate to real games. A couple years ago there was all this talk that Mitchell Robinson was working on shooting 3s, there was footage of him hitting 3 after 3 in a row. 2 years later he has no in game jumper from any range and he’s a 45% free throw shooter
While I agree with all that, then what's the point of doing that drill at the combine?

Reaction Score
Yep exactly. And recency bias of course, but I can’t help but watch PJ Tucker this postseason and think to myself: Andre ***could get to that level/role. PJ had a pretty astonishing career, leaving the NBA for years, only to come back and find himself a role. He’s stuck around a long long time in the NBA for a guy who barely scores the ball.
This is one of the things that makes evaluating Andre Jackson so hard. I don't think it's a crazy statement to think he could carve out a PJ Tucker role, or someone threw out Andre Roberson as a comp too. But then you look at the stats and Andre Jackson has scored 506 points in 3 years at UConn, PJ Tucker scored 594 his junior year alone when he averaged 16 a game. Roberson wasn't quite as drastic but even he had 2 seasons averaging 11 a game.

Andre is just SO far behind these non-scoring NBA guys in his ability to score at the college level that it makes finding a comp hard for him

Reaction Score
I want this man to be a lottery pick. I want him to make 200+ million. It’s an uphill battle when his shot starts at the waist and all the defender needs to do is stick out his arm to poke at the ball. Please Andre, learn how to shoot from Ray or Hawk.

His shot, or lack of, is holding him back.

Reaction Score
I don’t think NBADraft.net is very good. I also haven’t seen Taylor Hendricks anywhere near as high as 4, so take that fwiw.
I just looked at Bleacher Report and ESPN, both post-lottery mock drafts, so they are clearly updated. BR has Andre at #30 and ESPN has him at #29. I have more faith in those writers to actually pay attention to combines than NBADraft.net. I think he's as good as gone, as he should be, if either of those writers have any decent sources to what scouts are actually saying.

Reaction Score
This is one of the things that makes evaluating Andre Jackson so hard. I don't think it's a crazy statement to think he could carve out a PJ Tucker role, or someone threw out Andre Roberson as a comp too. But then you look at the stats and Andre Jackson has scored 506 points in 3 years at UConn, PJ Tucker scored 594 his junior year alone when he averaged 16 a game. Roberson wasn't quite as drastic but even he had 2 seasons averaging 11 a game.

Andre is just SO far behind these non-scoring NBA guys in his ability to score at the college level that it makes finding a comp hard for him

This... PJ Tucker was a double digit scorer for three straight years at Texas. He then hit as many as 146 3's in a season and is a career 37% shooter from 3 in the NBA.

Reaction Score
of note, these are heights without shoes. listed program heights are typically with shoes (usually 1-1.5 inches taller)
true, but the nba's listed heights are without shoes as of a couple years ago. they still tend to round up, but everyone dropped an inch or two a few years back.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Whitmore was listed as 6'7" on Nova's site. Sort of small for a guy with his skill set IMO

Reaction Score
I just looked at Bleacher Report and ESPN, both post-lottery mock drafts, so they are clearly updated. BR has Andre at #30 and ESPN has him at #29. I have more faith in those writers to actually pay attention to combines than NBADraft.net. I think he's as good as gone, as he should be, if either of those writers have any decent sources to what scouts are actually saying.
What is tough is whether he gets a guarantee that a team will take him at those slots. A team really can’t say to AJ that we are definitely taking you for example at 29 or 30 because they don’t know who else may be available at that slot, which means he could slip to the second round, and I think Hurley said it is basically first round or he comes back at some point. It really puts him in a tough spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom