AD Dave on Kevin Ollie | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AD Dave on Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
Bingo... the guy took 1 sentence out of my post in another thread and then filled in the blanks to create his narrative which completely contradicted what I said. Even putting quotes around something that I never even said. All I see is a hamster wheel turning over and over in this guy's head.

Here's a heads-up. Most of us have managed to go years without petty back-and-forth hissy fits. When you are embroiled in several over the course of a week, maybe its a good time to look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
Here's a heads-up. Most of us have managed to go years without petty back-and-forth hissy fits. When you are embroiled in several over the course of a week, maybe its a good time to look in the mirror.

I'm not going to sit idle when people come at me. Sorry. Maybe that's how you were brought up. Not me bro.

Reaction Score
While many people defend KO (myself included), the honest truth is that one of the highest paid coaches in the country needs to deliver 9 out of 10 seasons. He hasn't been able to produce league dominating teams like Cincinnati and SMU have with what is better talent---at least on paper. Given his good recruiting, you have to question his coaching. He was absolutely masterful in his first couple of seasons, but right now he either doesn't have the players he needs to run his system or in those first two seasons he had players to mask the deficiencies of his system. I'm really not sure what the problem is. It just feels like he's completely lost what seemed like magic in years 1&2.

Doesn't have the talent 100%..mostly 3rd n 4th year..Facey stepped it up a year too late..

Reaction Score
I'm not going to sit idle when people come at me. Sorry. Maybe that's how you were brought up. Not me bro.

At least be funny with it. The "you're a jerk, no, you're a jerk, no you're a jerk" routine seems like a fast track to ending up on every ignore list, at best. And admit to us - you haven't had season tickets for 25 years you're not close to that old.

Reaction Score
At least be funny with it. The "you're a jerk, no, you're a jerk, no you're a jerk" routine seems like a fast track to ending up on every ignore list, at best. And admit to us - you haven't had season tickets for 25 years you're not close to that old.

Would you like to see pictures of my past season tickets / final 4 tickets. Not sure why you would think I would need to lie about that on a message board? As stated, my sister uses my tickets. I live in New York and can't get to many home games. I go to maybe 5 a year and all the tournament games.

Reaction Score
Would you like to see pictures of my past season tickets / final 4 tickets. Not sure why you would think I would need to lie about that on a message board? As stated, my sister uses my tickets. I live in New York and can't get to many home games. I go to maybe 5 a year and all the tournament games.
how about you and Athlete go make your own message board? I think it'd be best for all parties.

Reaction Score
I agree. It seems like our teams try to play the same way regardless of the result. We saw a short change up in the middle of this season when we started going inside to Facey and Brimah way more almost out of spite to those harping on it and we saw some interesting results but we completely went away from it and back to a green light for all our guards system after a few games.

No penetration, no shooters, Facey is the only one who can score on the block..your stuck, no way to adapt..

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I would lean more towards Borges' original statement that "injuries are usually a rather lame excuse for a team's struggles".

Yes, this team would be better with Gilbert and Larrier. But our problems go much deeper than lack of depth and talent. I know it was early, but we did lose to Northeastern AND Wagner at virtually full strength.
We know Jalen Adams has the ability to take over a game, we've seen Purvis do the same. Facey has turned into a REALLY nice low post player and rebounder. Jackson and Vital can hit jumpshots.
The problem with this team is mentality. Missing countless wide open shots, turning the ball over, lack of movement on offense and several defensive lapses. It's the same thing. Every. Damn. Game. And it's against pretty mediocre competition, outside of the top 3 teams in the conference. These problems fall directly on the players as much as the coaches.

All I guess I'm saying is, this team was unfortunate with the early injuries, but the squad they have right now is more than capable of finishing 4th in the conference, and even that's not really shooting for the stars. We've had several losses this year that are absolute embarrassments for the program. Fine, lose to Cincinnati and Houston. But get blown off our own floor by 15, 20 points? Losing to Northeastern, Wagner and Eastern Carolina? Unacceptable.

I'm not calling for Ollie's head, because really his ability to recruit and relate to players will likely be unmatched by any coach we can get, but AD Dave absolutely should be critical of this team and look at his options more closely.

Here's to hoping everyone that can come back, does come back next year, both staff and players (healthy, players). But if we aren't in competition for the AAC regular season title and lock up an NCAA tournament bid, serious changes might HAVE to be made.

pj

Reaction Score
Ollie's assets - character, NBA career, liked and admired by everyone -- are irreplaceable. If there are defects to his coaching, they can be addressed by upgrading the assistants. Even JC was helped by Blaney. Maybe KO can find another quality head coach looknig for an easier gig to help him.

However, I'm inclined to the view that the problems are the result of sanctions leading to two successive weak / low-IQ recruiting classes, a partially filled roster also due to recruiting sanctions, plus the spate of injuries. I think KO and the program rebound in a big way the next two years.

In high-level competitive athletics, the line between wins and losses can be quite small. You don't need that many things to go wrong to turn a top team into a loser. We've had plenty of things go wrong. Let's give KO a chance to have things go right again.

Reaction Score
Also, injuries happen. It's funny in 09 our top scorer and best perimeter defender went down mid season and we still made the final 4. That's what good teams do. They don't make excuses, they trudge on with what they have and overcome adversity. I would say that Dyson was as big a piece to that team than either Gilbert or Larrier would have been to this one.

Reaction Score
Also, injuries happen. It's funny in 09 our top scorer and best perimeter defender went down mid season and we still made the final 4. That's what good teams do. They don't make excuses, they trudge on with what they have and overcome adversity. I would say that Dyson was as big a piece to that team than either Gilbert or Larrier would have been to this one.
Are you really comparing the two situations?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Are you really comparing the two situations?

Incredibly, it seems so. Not only was Dyson not the top scorer on that team (he was 4th) - they also had a senior PG named AJ Price, a senior Jeff Adrien (good lord would I love another Jeff Adrien) and a junior center in Hasheem Thabeet - inarguably the best shot blocker we've ever had.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Actually at the time of injury he was the top scorer. Maybe you need to check the stats again genius. The others picked up his scoring after he went down

Phew thanks, just went back to my genius lab and checked the stats.

"It will do a lot of wear and tear on my body, if they do clean it out because I'll have no meniscus there," said Dyson, who was averaging more than 13 points, second on the team.

Not that it matters - losing Dyson was huge - you're right about that. But it was a team far better equipped to handle an injury.

Reaction Score
And yet another in the endless stream of keyboard warriors.

It doesn't seem like you know what that phrase means. There is literally nothing more "keyboard warrior" than challenging someone to a fight on the internet. It's about the saddest thing someone can do.

What, you think that because you said "anytime, anyplace" that makes you an actual tough guy? That's funny. I agree with the rest of the board that you seem like a massive loser but this stuff is entertaining. I'm torn as to whether I want you to keep posting or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom