AD Dave on Kevin Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD Dave on Kevin Ollie

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Pretty high standards for Jim - no mention of winning the Big East Championship and NCAA Title in 2011.

It wasn't "dominant" until the postseason, but yeah, tough to exclude that.

Reaction Score
people forget calhouns final years, he had one dominant season from '07 until he retired... that season being in '09 and we're lucky he got kemba to come here otherwise we wouldn't be discussed by anyone... he also didn't kill it on the recruiting trail towards the end

You're really trying to compare Calhouns last few years to this mess? You must be smoking some of that good ish.

Reaction Score
We have no consistent offense. We can get hot for a time but we don't have a star we can rely on to make that must have shot. Adams may be that guy but he is going to have to play off the ball to have legs left at the end of the game. Kemba and Bazz could do it from the PG position but I'm not sure Adams can. When Rodney is on he can make huge shots but more often than not he is off. We miss an awful lot of good shots and I don't think that there is anything KO can do about that.

C

Chief00

We have no consistent offense. We can get hot for a time but we don't have a star we can rely on to make that must have shot. Adams may be that guy but he is going to have to play off the ball to have legs left at the end of the game. Kemba and Bazz could do it from the PG position but I'm not sure Adams can. When Rodney is on he can make huge shots but more often than not he is off. We miss an awful lot of good shots and I don't think that there is anything KO can do about that.
Yeah there is; recruit some good shooters.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
What kind of offense do you think they were running the first 2 years?

You are actually 100% wrong IMO, even though we both agree the offense is a huge issue. KO's problem with offense isn't that he changed it to a lesser system, its that he tries to run the same types of offense regardless of personnel.
Yup. KO's system needs two reliable ball handlers and plenty of reliable 3pt shooters. We had Boat and Bazz with Daniels and giffey years 1 and 2 and we had lots of success, regularly beating ranked teams and as underdogs.

Since then we have always had 1 main ball handler but the second one was always kind of tbd. I believe we had that this year to an extent but the Gilbert injury blew it up. For a while we experimented with TSam and then Gibbs/freshman Jalen but that aspect of the team never really reached the level we need for consistent winning. I also think a lack of reliable 3pt shooting has been a problem as well. I think Gibbs may have been the best pure shooter KO has recruited and we only had him for a year, luckily I think Vital and Vance will fill that need adequately for us next year.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is I would hate to be in AD Dave's position if it ever comes down to where he has to make a decision. It would be a very difficult situation. Firing Ollie probably wouldn't go down well with Jim Calhoun and all of the UConn Basketball Alumni.

I think stepping down on his own terms would be the best situation for the program, if it ever came down to it.

C

Chief00

All I have to say is I would hate to be in AD Dave's position if it ever comes down to where he has to make a decision. It would be a very difficult situation. Firing Ollie probably wouldn't go down well with Jim Calhoun and all of the UConn Basketball Alumni.

I think stepping down on his own terms would be the best situation for the program, if it ever came down to it.

I don't think Jim is happy with all these gimmick zones.

Reaction Score

Calhoun put him there and Calhoun is a winner. He's not going to allow friendly feelings get in the way of ensuriing his legacy isn't destroyed. The Alumni are not going to shed a tear if there is another poor season. They love a winning UConn basketball program more than a favorite son that has screwed a program beyond all recognition.

Reaction Score
Yup. KO's system needs two reliable ball handlers and plenty of reliable 3pt shooters. We had Boat and Bazz with Daniels and giffey years 1 and 2 and we had lots of success, regularly beating ranked teams and as underdogs.

Since then we have always had 1 main ball handler but the second one was always kind of tbd. I believe we had that this year to an extent but the Gilbert injury blew it up. For a while we experimented with TSam and then Gibbs/freshman Jalen but that aspect of the team never really reached the level we need for consistent winning. I also think a lack of reliable 3pt shooting has been a problem as well. I think Gibbs may have been the best pure shooter KO has recruited and we only had him for a year, luckily I think Vital and Vance will fill that need adequately for us next year.
I agree on the need for two elite ballhandlers who can penetrate and shooters but where the hell is the adaptability? One of the things that concerns me is you have to find ways to adapt to what you have, design an offense and defense to your personnel. He has done a really poor job of this.

Reaction Score
Not sure who thought Jalen Rodney and Kevin were going to carry the walking (and not walking) wounded and a bunch of kids to a Conference Championship. Next year should be a better barometer of whether KO's coaching and the kid's getting thrown to the wolves will pay dividends. I would expect we should be setting the same or higher goals next year as this but right now just hoping no one else gets seriously hurt. It's been a disappointing and horrific season from an injury standpoint but the kids have shown some raw talent and some fight. Some were clearly not prepared to step in and a couple will need to develop more physically if they want to be in the mix next year and beyond. Without more consistency from Purvis and a big year from Brimah we were doomed early on. The future looks bright but next season is a big one for KO. He'll have some tools if he knows how to use them.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I agree on the need for two elite ballhandlers who can penetrate and shooters but where the hell is the adaptability? One of the things that concerns me is you have to find ways to adapt to what you have, design an offense and defense to your personnel. He has done a really poor job of this.
I agree. It seems like our teams try to play the same way regardless of the result. We saw a short change up in the middle of this season when we started going inside to Facey and Brimah way more almost out of spite to those harping on it and we saw some interesting results but we completely went away from it and back to a green light for all our guards system after a few games.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This year's senior class was the what we could get with the NCAA APR crap hanging over the program. Brimah and Facey and Terrence Samuel. G-d bless all of them, but they weren't typical UCONN recruits. This year, we lost Daniel Hamilton- our point forward and brought in a really good freshman class and a a highly decorated transfer. After 4 games, we had lost our point guard and best scorer. Then the injuries really kicked in on a team that had no depth and put kids in positions they weren't ready for. Losing to Northeastern and BU was unacceptable- but had this team stayed together - we would have had a much better year and be trending up for next week.

There are bad cycles- Dyson, Robinson et al was not a productive class by the time they were upper classmen. This class were great kids but not at the level of player we are used to. KO knows the limitations and Vital, Gilbert,Jackson, Diarra and Durham, Jalen before them and Danny Ham before them shows us KO can recruit. Danny Ham improved but left too early, Jalen really improved over the last 2 years(and has played with no legs for the last few games), and the freshman all improved this year. Guys are getting better. As we get players that are less limited into the system- we will be back as soon as next year.

Reaction Score
This year's senior class was the what we could get with the NCAA APR crap hanging over the program. Brimah and Facey and Terrence Samuel. G-d bless all of them, but they weren't typical UCONN recruits. This year, we lost Daniel Hamilton- our point forward and brought in a really good freshman class and a a highly decorated transfer. After 4 games, we had lost our point guard and best scorer. Then the injuries really kicked in on a team that had no depth and put kids in positions they weren't ready for. Losing to Northeastern and BU was unacceptable- but had this team stayed together - we would have had a much better year and be trending up for next week.

There are bad cycles- Dyson, Robinson et al was not a productive class by the time they were upper classmen. This class were great kids but not at the level of player we are used to. KO knows the limitations and Vital, Gilbert,Jackson, Diarra and Durham, Jalen before them and Danny Ham before them shows us KO can recruit. Danny Ham improved but left too early, Jalen really improved over the last 2 years(and has played with no legs for the last few games), and the freshman all improved this year. Guys are getting better. As we get players that are less limited into the system- we will be back as soon as next year.

Really tough time to try to make sense to those who decide to show up to berate the program, they know who they are. They never wanted to find the BY until they had reason to pile on KO and the players. I appreciate you tryingmaking sense of the obvious, but the real obvious situation is we have a ton of bandwagon fans who know little about UConn history. They are 1990 and on crew, mostly spoiled and rotten. It's not a fun place to be for now, 22-25 wins will make them go away again because they'll have nothing to b**ch at, which is all they crave to do. Hear's hoping KO has healthy team next year and coaches as many of us know he can.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure 99% of us do not like to b**ch? WHO REALLY DOES? It is not fun.

Also, one can not help when they are born (me = 1984 and probably many others here are around the same time) so if we (me or anyone else) is a 1990 crew, well, that is what it is....just a product of birth....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really tough time to try to make sense to those who decide to show up to berate the program, they know who they are. They never wanted to find the BY until they had reason to pile on KO and the players. I appreciate you tryingmaking sense of the obvious, but the real obvious situation is we have a ton of bandwagon fans who know little about UConn history. They are 1990 and on crew, mostly spoiled and rotten. It's not a fun place to be for now, 22-25 wins will make them go away again because they'll have nothing to b**ch at, which is all they crave to do. Hear's hoping KO has healthy team next year and coaches as many of us know he can.
They've hit you one too many times. I'll play the role of sniper. Head shots are my choice.

Reaction Score
They've hit you one too many times. I'll play the role of sniper. Head shots are my choice.

Cover me fleudy, cover me. I've also been reprimanded by the authorities of the BY so I will remain calm under the circumstances and you know how tough that is with the waste being tossed around right? Means they not only come to berate but they complain like little girls too when someone calls them to the table.

Cover me please LOL

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I've already been taking some shots in the coaching change thread. Silly stupid stuff, but why not. BTW the poll in that thread has been changed. New choice listed.;)

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure 99% of us do not like to b**ch? WHO REALLY DOES? It is not fun.

Also, one can not help when they are born (me = 1984 and probably many others here are around the same time) so if we (me or anyone else) is a 1990 crew, well, that is what it is....just a product of birth....

Not a good reply, I have nothing for you LOL except how dare you to be born so recently. Ok to's next he makes too much sense here?

Reaction Score
Is there a buyout clause in Ollie's contract? If not the AD is not going to eat 3 mil and be able to hire a dynamic replacement.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No, I guess I did not get it.
The mantra people are making against mau and posters who support mau's statements is that he is making excuses for KO and the team.

I turned that mantra on its head. Just having fun with you. BTW are you a native Columbian?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom