AD Dave on Kevin Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD Dave on Kevin Ollie

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
HUH KF improved this year. Wish we had him another year. Don't let the last two games haze that KF has been a rock this year. AB not so much.
fixed it

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
god you're vile... these attempts to ignore the fact we had three players not play this year at all two of then being two of the best players on the team add that on to the fact that we've only had a handful of games when we've had a healthy 8 players... for crying out loud we've had games when we've had 6 players. and yes the players have improved minus brimah and purvis. I know you troll and I keep taking the bait... I'll wait for your buddy yukon to come over and defend you then give your post a like
Wah wah wah.. who cares what you think.. we suck with 10 players.. ask Wagner, Northeastern...

Reaction Score
it says we've had on average 5.5 to 6 healthy players all season.
Ok so it is fine for the other years not to be in the top 3? I mean this is the AAC and not the ACC we should be able to compete here no matter what. NO JC anymore and KO(not proven) here is killing us more than the conference we are in. Who cares if he won it once. Mike Davis at Indiana got them to the finals and where is he now?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ok so it is fine for the other years not to be in the top 3? I mean this is the AAC and not the ACC we should be able to compete here no matter what. NO JC anymore and KO(not proven) here is killing us more than the conference we are in. Who cares if he won it once. Mike Davis at Indiana got them to the finals and where is he now?
peoples are wanting to push him out and you're not going to find another coach that can come in and live up the ridiculous standards people have. I'm not saying we should be content with this, but that people need to look at the big picture and everything that has happened since ollie took over the team... get rid of glenn then and add a more offensive minded assistant and move glenn to overseeing operations

Reaction Score
peoples are wanting to push him out and you're not going to find another coach that can come in and live up the ridiculous standards people have. I'm not saying we should be content with this, but that people need to look at the big picture and everything that has happened since ollie took over the team... get rid of glenn then and add a more offensive minded assistant and move glenn to overseeing operations
Like I said I love KO as person and player but just not sold on him as a coach long term. He sure isn't good at x's and o's and doesn't have someone on the staff that is either.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
people forget calhouns final years, he had one dominant season from '07 until he retired... that season being in '09 and we're lucky he got kemba to come here otherwise we wouldn't be discussed by anyone... he also didn't kill it on the recruiting trail towards the end

Reaction Score
people forget calhouns final years, he had one dominant season from '07 until he retired... that season being in '09 and we're lucky he got kemba to come here otherwise we wouldn't be discussed by anyone... he also didn't kill it on the recruiting trail towards the end
Yes but we were more or just as competitive in a better conference. We are in free fall right now as far as a program in my eyes. I think we all knew this could happen when JC left. We just didn't think it would be this fast. I will give KO next year but if we struggle and don't make the tourney I just can't see how he wouldn't at least be on the hot hot seat.

Reaction Score
That was the best conference in the country, this is the AAC.

Reaction Score
Denial is the first stage of grief followed by anger.. this is intolerable and disgraceful. A 30 year low point and arguably lower. This garbage remains acceptable until enough say it isn't.
Let's pray it's turned around before it's too late. People wanting to get out of this conference have to acknowledge the only thing we had to offer P5 conferences before was A nationally relevant brand basketball. Now, the narrative in the national media for good or for bad, is what happened to Connecticut? How did that the program fall from it former glory. That narrative is not being written by so-called pessimistic fans, it's being written by our own court performance. Eventually, that will have a bigger impact on recruiting much more than what conference is Uconn in. 5 star and high 4 star kids want to play with winners. Finishing 6/7, three years in a row, in this conference does not generate that winning feeling. Losing to Wagner, Northeastern, ECU also does not attract the people we need to turn the program around. Good news is we still remain a brand, and we have a relatable/likeable coach that will continue to get some quality guys, but unless we start winning in a nationally relevant way soon (rather than look to celebrate that we made the tournament every 3 years), that well of goodwill from that brand will wane fast making it harder to bring the program back. We all want the same thing here, to live up to our reputation as a nationally dominant powerhouse program. Obviously, that reputation is starting to slip away. But one thing we can't do is question each other's loyalty or love for the program just because some of us think everything is going fine and can justify the lack of performance year after year ( for a range of reasons), or some of us question whether Ollie is the right guy to coach the team. Regardless of your perspective, neither are any less of a fan because some of us see things differently. That said, we can't continue to have another year like the last three if we want to have a reasonable chance of returning to being a nationally relevant program, let alone getting an invite to a P5 conference ... unless football returns back to its brief/former glory which I am not holding my breath for.

Reaction Score
Let's pray it's turned around before it's too late. People wanting to get out of this conference have to acknowledge the only thing we had to offer P5 conferences before was A nationally relevant brand basketball. Now, the narrative in the national media for good or for bad, is what happened to Connecticut? How did that the program fall from it former glory. That narrative is not being written by so-called pessimistic fans, it's being written by our own court performance. Eventually, that will have a bigger impact on recruiting much more than what conference is Uconn in. 5 star and high 4 star kids want to play with winners. Finishing 6/7, three years in a row, in this conference does not generate that winning feeling. Losing to Wagner, Northeastern, ECU also does not attract the people we need to turn the program around. Good news is we still remain a brand, and we have a relatable/likeable coach that will continue to get some quality guys, but unless we start winning in a nationally relevant way soon (rather than look to celebrate that we made the tournament every 3 years), that well of goodwill from that brand will wane fast making it harder to bring the program back. We all want the same thing here, to live up to our reputation as a nationally dominant powerhouse program. Obviously, that reputation is starting to slip away. But one thing we can't do is question each other's loyalty or love for the program just because some of us think everything is going fine and can justify the lack of performance year after year ( for a range of reasons), or some of us question whether Ollie is the right guy to coach the team. Regardless of your perspective, neither are any less of a fan because some of us see things differently. That said, we can't continue to have another year like the last three if we want to have a reasonable chance of returning to being a nationally relevant program, let alone getting an invite to a P5 conference ... unless football returns back to its brief/former glory which I am not holding my breath for.
bingo.

Reaction Score
Exactly, it 4 years we have only finished in the top 3 of this awful conference once. Just once. What does that say about UCONN basketball right now?

Need better talent incase of injuries..not like the injured players were proven..

Reaction Score
While many people defend KO (myself included), the honest truth is that one of the highest paid coaches in the country needs to deliver 9 out of 10 seasons. He hasn't been able to produce league dominating teams like Cincinnati and SMU have with what is better talent---at least on paper. Given his good recruiting, you have to question his coaching. He was absolutely masterful in his first couple of seasons, but right now he either doesn't have the players he needs to run his system or in those first two seasons he had players to mask the deficiencies of his system. I'm really not sure what the problem is. It just feels like he's completely lost what seemed like magic in years 1&2.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
While many people defend KO (myself included), the honest truth is that one of the highest paid coaches in the country needs to deliver 9 out of 10 seasons. He hasn't been able to produce league dominating teams like Cincinnati and SMU have with what is better talent---at least on paper. Given his good recruiting, you have to question his coaching. He was absolutely masterful in his first couple of seasons, but right now he either doesn't have the players he needs to run his system or in those first two seasons he had players to mask the deficiencies of his system. I'm really not sure what the problem is. It just feels like he's completely lost what seemed like magic in years 1&2.
Honestly, the first two years he got there, he looked to be still running the same type of sets Calhoun did.. at some point even during that time, he stared implementing his style of play..

Reaction Score
It will be extremely hard to fire KO, even if he has another bad year. KO has a very good reputation and the media and especially our NBA alums will create an enormous amount of bad press if he gets canned. Trust in Dave.

Reaction Score
Honestly, the first two years he got there, he looked to be still running the same type of sets Calhoun did.. at some point even during that time, he stared implementing his style of play..

Nope. Try again.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I expect to compete

Reaction Score
Yeah, kind of think so.. go watch both seasons in their entirety.. you'll see the sets..

What kind of offense do you think they were running the first 2 years?

You are actually 100% wrong IMO, even though we both agree the offense is a huge issue. KO's problem with offense isn't that he changed it to a lesser system, its that he tries to run the same types of offense regardless of personnel.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
What kind of offense do you think they were running the first 2 years? The difference is the personnel.

You are actually 100% wrong IMO, even though we both agree the offense is a huge issue. KO's problem with offense isn't that he changed it to a lesser system, its that he tries to run the same types of offense regardless of personnel.
Agree with that 100%

Reaction Score

To me, KO seemed like a far better coach in his first two years. He did a great job getting 20 wins out of the 2012-13 team.

The last 3 seasons taken as a whole have been dreadful. I dont place too much importance on this year, EXCEPT UConn lost to Wagner and Northeastern with a full roster, and also lost to ECU despite having better players, even after all the injuries.

It seems like KO got the wind knocked out of him and never recovered. Add a group of questionable assistant coaches to the mix and you get what we are seeing: a team that ends up in the middle of the AAC and has no relevance on the national landscape.
Can you imagine how bad things would be if the recent recruiting classes weren't strong?

Getting beat in Gampel by 20 points is utterly embarrassing. This truly is the lowest point for the program in the last 30 seasons.

Reaction Score
There needs to be a massive shake up on the staff with regards to assistants, etc. Team just needs a new look.

On recruiting I see tools on these kids but not much in the way of being able to bring it all together. It's the same story every year and until that changes I'm really kind of past looking at recruiting rankings. It's just dudes on a list.

I was at the game today and just the total lack of basic basketball IQ and execution is just so far past anything I've seen on a UConn team it's hard to know where to begin. Basic boxing out, awful rebounding, incredibly bad shot selection... I'm not even sure what kind of offense they're running. It's a high screen to get the guard in a more favorable match up and just ends up as a bad or a kick out that results with another shot with a hand in the face. They ran that same set almost 15 times.

There are streaks where this team almost says screw it and you can see their natural ability take over but that's few and far between. I still get this feeling watching that when they actually ditch the offense they look good. It's almost like an ankle weight.

I mean X's and O's is one thing - but to me there's just a major disconnect between this that'd, the players and what's happening in the court. Kids all seem to be great kids and they seemingly have a lot of emotional connection to KO, but that connection just sorta ends there.

I don't know what the problem is - but they've gotta fire a shot over the bow or something to get some New perspective on this staff because what's happening now isn't working. That's just the reality of it all.

Reaction Score
To me, KO seemed like a far better coach in his first two years. He did a great job getting 20 wins out of the 2012-13 team.

The last 3 seasons taken as a whole have been dreadful. I dont place too much importance on this year, EXCEPT UConn lost to Wagner and Northeastern with a full roster, and also lost to ECU despite having better players, even after all the injuries.

It seems like KO got the wind knocked out of him and never recovered. Add a group of questionable assistant coaches to the mix and you get what we are seeing: a team that ends up in the middle of the AAC and has no relevance on the national landscape.
Can you imagine how bad things would be if the recent recruiting classes weren't strong?

Getting beat in Gampel by 20 points is utterly embarrassing. This truly is the lowest point for the program in the last 30 seasons.

He had smarter players when he looked like a better coach, this is really simple. Easier to teach IQ than dumb basketball players, that's fairly obvious. This is on KO and his staff, the recruiting needs to be step up and they need to find kids who understand the game. Watching your senior bigs boxing out late and boxing out with their backs to the ball tells you what you've been counting on for a while, not good.

Time to gain IQ on the court, some who remain have that but need to get some control. Some who will return still aren't oozing with basketball brains, hope the kids coming in begin a new regime of of playing smarter basketball because this is downright ugly.

C

Chief00

Pretty high standards for Jim - no mention of winning the Big East Championship and NCAA Title in 2011.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom