ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I love when @Fishy gets this way. Stanford successfully fields a lot of non-revenue sports. This is part of the great college experience which is Stanford. If you check a map, the ACC schools are a bit distant from Palo Alto. These student-athletes will need to travel far distances to engage in their athletic endeavors. This is probably not favorable for their academic profile. Understood?
I assumed the thru-line here is time away from classes, study hall, etc. From what I recall, long road trips focused on game prep and didn't leave much time for studying.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I don't think so. Maybe WVU since the B12 left them on an island. I suspect the B12's next move would eventually fill in the east coast area. This is when I think Uconn gets their invite.
I had someone tell me recently that UConn will be invited to join the BIG 12 next year. This person talks to people within UConn. I won’t say exactly who but it sounded legit.

Reaction Score
Things can change quickly my friend. The AD is very fortunate to be basking in a national title in basketball right now. But, if/when Geno retires or has sudden, unexpected health issues and DH decides to leave for greener pastures or if his recruits don't pan out, UConn sports can be in a very different situation.

Most will agree that being in the Big East and having football as an Independent is not a sustainable strategy in this new "money era". So, what's the AD's strategy to get UConn in a top conference? Why wont he communicate his strategy? Thats his job. Students, alumni, and future recruits would like to know.
Maybe we have reverted back to monitoring

Reaction Score
I had someone tell me recently that UConn will be invited to join the BIG 12 next year. This person talks to people within UConn. I won’t say exactly who but it sounded legit.
Don't believe it. Can't trust Yormark or anyone for that matter.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Don't believe it. Can't trust Yormark or anyone for that matter.
Was a lawyer for UConn who made this claim. So it seems like it should be somewhat legit.

Reaction Score
The bar has now been set exceedingly low.
Whatever realignment is left ....the leagues and media will offer little or no money. That is unless your initials are ND

This ACC deal has devalued future movement which puts Uconn in a tough spot.

Reaction Score
Reading this article makes me just shake my head. The ACC sounds like a hot mess. Just feels like all this conference realignment stuff is going to implode at some point. I can't tell you when, but maybe I'll be alive to see it.

Btw, Norlander thinks the Big East will be fine. We'll see if he's right.

Arguably the proudest basketball league of them all is losing its footing, while the Big 12, Big East and SEC are positioned to thrive.

Reaction Score
The bar has now been set exceedingly low.
Whatever realignment is left ....the leagues and media will offer little or no money. That is unless your initials are ND

This ACC deal has devalued future movement which puts Uconn in a tough spot.
Exactly. Don't know why the AD is not pushing the issue. The longer UConn is left out of a Power 5 conference, the less leverage they'll have. Poor strategy and communications.

Reaction Score
I don't consider Miami, BC, UNC and Wake Forest as elite academic institutions.

SMU is the strangest inclusion into the ACC or any Big Boy conference.

AD David Benedict let this whole issue slip between the cracks - while basking in the NBE transition he let the biggest picture become hazy at best and completely dark at worst. No wonder no SEC teams are knocking at his door as he has long hoped. HCJM must be wondering what he got himself into and if there is really a place for UConn football.

If the ACC dissolves, the top athletic members such as Duke, UVA, UNC, FSU, Miami and Lville will be heading B12/B1G or SEC and UConn will be considered for a new conference with the rest? That's reassuring.

What a complete cluster F to be in.
You are showing yourself to be clueless as usual. BC, Wake and UNC are all well above average institutions. Your point would have been better served focusing on Louisville, FSU and Pitt.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In The Nuts Pain GIF

UConn is the blue and white guy...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The ACC will have to change their name.

Reaction Score
The ACC will have to change their name.
Agreed. the Big 10 and Big 12 have proven that factually incorrect conference names never work.

Reaction Score
You can ignore reality if you’d like.

Talk to someone in the AD and see what they think. Or just read our annual report, any reporting on our athletic budget, anything our AD says on the topic of revenue, the senate budget report that basically declared the deficit unsustainable….

Or, don’t do any of that and just pretend things are cool.
Agree. The revenue deficit is not sustainable for long. It’s just not. These last few months of CR are another devastating blow to UConn FB. For the short term we are going to be okay, HCJM will continue to upgrade the talent and coach them up as best as he can but you have to believe that he will either retire or move to a Pwhatever team. The admin has to be evaluating an option of cutting FB to save everything else. Not saying it’s the primary option by any stretch but it has to be on the table especially if we are outside of a power conference in 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Wow. All I can think is the Yormarking college participants can Yormark my nut sack.

Not even sure that is possible, but UNC men’s soccer playing in California is CRAZY.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are getting ZERO cash for 7 years. Desperation :)
Between college football money and NCAA tournament credits they will be making more in the ACC then they were in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What paid for Dan Hurley and Geno? Magic?
You realize that Dan Hurley alone makes more than our entire Big East media rights distribution, right?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom