ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
Out of this group I'd go UConn/USF/OSU/WSU. All have been power conference schools and had success in them.
USF on campus stadium will be nice. Of course, USF don't have NIMBYs near where they are building it. USF is in an area known as suitcase city, yet the area is gentrifying. New student apartments, a new Spouts Markets.

Reaction Score
Based on the 19 team Jim Williams ACC...I guess the two divisions would be...memphis could go in either...

a lot to like about our division for MBB purposes...plus the occasional road trip to New Orleans...

the obvious perpetual disclaimer...that is of course until the 'best' football programs get poached

Boston College
Duke
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
UConn
UVA
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Cal
Georgia Tech
Miami
OSU
SMU
Stanford
Tulane
USF
WSU

What I like is seeing Wake Forest, VA Tech, UVa, and the other in our conference every other year and see some of the other conference (Washington State, OSU, Stanford, Cal) at the Rent at times... Expansion?

Reaction Score
Out of this group I'd go UConn/USF/OSU/WSU. All have been power conference schools and had success in them.
It is a nice grouping. Don't sell Tulane short though. It was in the SEC for a long time.
The BIG EAST will never join a football conference again. You think Georgetown want to be associated with NC State, Duke or UNC?
I know it's not likely but there will be ACC carnage so who knows what will happen. As for Georgetown, I think it would be fine associating with Duke, UNC, Wake, etc.

Reaction Score
The BIG EAST will never join a football conference again. You think Georgetown want to be associated with NC State, Duke or UNC?
Academically they are all well-renowned peers (Except State) so yes Georgetown would fit in with the stereotypical ACC school (If they were FBS)

Reaction Score
Travel has not been a reason for ANY conference realignment movements. It's all about the top line/revenue, stability/football conference profile, and access to CFP dollars.

If the best ACC brands leave for the B1G and or SEC, you'll be left with a third tier ACC in terms of the conference pecking order (it'll be SEC/B1G in tier 1, a gap down to the Big12, the ACC leftovers, another gap down to the G5)... No media outlet is going to throw big dollars at a Big12/remnant ACC because there's not enough linear TV slots for that big of a Frankenstein conference/2-conference affiliation with second/third rate viewership history.
The ACC will still have the ACCN and ESPN always needs programming. The B1G would have to take 2 ACC teams and the SEC 4 teams leaving the ACC with 13 teams plus ND. There are no major brands in the Big 12, but they could lose teams to the SEC and the B1G. Regardless of which conference loses which teams, the remaining teams are all on the same level. ESPN has contracts with both conferences already so there is definitely enough tv slots. It would still be two conferences, but one TV contract. Otherwise the ACC with the superior markets and having its own network would add 3-7 Big 12 teams. UCF, WVU & Cincinnati would easily join the ACC. TCU, KU, Arizona & ASU could be the other 4 teams to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
The ACC will still have the ACCN and ESPN always needs programming. The B1G would have to take 2 ACC teams and the SEC 4 teams leaving the ACC with 13 teams plus ND. There are no major brands in the Big 12, but they could lose teams to the SEC and the B1G. Regardless of which conference loses which teams, the remaining teams are all on the same level. ESPN has contracts with both conferences already so there is definitely enough tv slots. It would still be two conferences, but one TV contract. Otherwise the ACC with the superior markets and having its own network would add 3-7 Big 12 teams. UCF, WVU & Cincinnati would easily join the ACC. TCU, KU, Arizona & ASU could be the other 4 teams to join the ACC.
If the 4 top ACC brands leave, then the remnant ACC has no superiority to the Big12 as ESPN will rewrite the ACC media contract. The top 4 ACC brands bring about one-third of the ACC's tv value and without them with a rewritten ESPN contract, they'd fall below the Big12. In that scenario, second tier ACC teams such as Louisville, Pitt, VA Tech would want to move to the Big12.

Reaction Score
If the 4 top ACC brands leave, then the remnant ACC has no superiority to the Big12 as ESPN will rewrite the ACC media contract. The top 4 ACC brands bring about one-third of the ACC's tv value and without them with a rewritten ESPN contract, they'd fall below the Big12. In that scenario, second tier ACC teams such as Louisville, Pitt, VA Tech would want to move to the Big12.
The remaining ACC teams have bigger markets than the Big 12 teams and they will still have the ACCN. WVU, Cincinnati, UCF will all save on travel expenses big time. TCU, TT will want to be with Stanford & Cal. The infrastructure is just better in the ACC than the Big 12 as is the location of the ACC markets. ESPN would rebuild the ACC with the markets that they want. Notre Dame does not want the ACC to fail either and they’re not giving up their independence unless it’s for a conference that they can control.

Assuming:
Miami & FSU join the B1G
UNC, UVA, Clemson & NC St join the SEC

ACC - East
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Duke
Wake
GT
UCF
Notre Dame or Cincinnati

ACC - West
Cal
Stanford
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas St
Arizona
ASU
Louisville

Big 12 remaining teams: 7 maybe 8 depending on Notre Dame

Baylor
Houston
Iowa St
Colorado
BYU
Utah
OK St.

Houston has a big market and Colorado has the Denver market, but the rest are in sparsely populated areas. They will add WSU & OSU and the best of MWC and maybe a couple of AAC teams to form the 4th - 20 team conference.

Reaction Score
The remaining ACC teams have bigger markets than the Big 12 teams and they will still have the ACCN. WVU, Cincinnati, UCF will all save on travel expenses big time. TCU, TT will want to be with Stanford & Cal. The infrastructure is just better in the ACC than the Big 12 as is the location of the ACC markets. ESPN would rebuild the ACC with the markets that they want. Notre Dame does not want the ACC to fail either and they’re not giving up their independence unless it’s for a conference that they can control.

Assuming:
Miami & FSU join the B1G
UNC, UVA, Clemson & NC St join the SEC

ACC - East
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Duke
Wake
GT
UCF
Notre Dame or Cincinnati

ACC - West
Cal
Stanford
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas St
Arizona
ASU
Louisville

Big 12 remaining teams: 7 maybe 8 depending on Notre Dame

Baylor
Houston
Iowa St
Colorado
BYU
Utah
OK St.

Houston has a big market and Colorado has the Denver market, but the rest are in sparsely populated areas. They will add WSU & OSU and the best of MWC and maybe a couple of AAC teams to form the 4th - 20 team conference.
Markets don't matter; ratings do.
Travel doesn't matter; at all.
You've got yourself convinced that the ACC will take teams from the Big12; very few other media people and fans agree with you.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Just a couple of quick questions, who in the Big East is important to UConn? What teams are most important for you to keep playing? Also, what non Big10/SEC BCS football schools would you want to be in a conference with?

Reaction Score
Just a couple of quick questions, who in the Big East is important to UConn? What teams are most important for you to keep playing? Also, what non Big10/SEC BCS football schools would you want to be in a conference with?
I would only miss Nova, St. John's, and Georgetown; however, I would give them up for larger schools with fan bases our size. We need to play with big state and private schools that get significant attention, not the sunday school league

Reaction Score

I think we love playing a tournament in New York City/MSG.

When I watched the ACC tournament this year I really didn’t think that they have anything more special.

The same with the B1G.

Reaction Score

When I watched the ACC tournament this year I really didn’t think that they have anything more special.

The same with the B1G.
the BET/MSG is a great great thing, but I'd give it up before dinnertime to get out of the Big East and into a decent all-sports conference that's a good home for basketball AND football.

Reaction Score
the BET/MSG is a great great thing, but I'd give it up before dinnertime to get out of the Big East and into a decent all-sports conference that's a good home for basketball AND football.
Same feeling here

Reaction Score
I would only miss Nova, St. John's, and Georgetown; however, I would give them up for larger schools with fan bases our size. We need to play with big state and private schools that get significant attention, not the sunday school league
Agreed - just add in Providence to your list. We could play the handful of these rivals in home and home series and or in-season tournaments to satiate the desire to play regional/historic rivals. To stay relevant in the long term we'll need to be with schools that are in our peer group (i.e. not small private schools). We need to be with national and or at least multi-regional schools/brands.

Reaction Score

The same with the B1G.
The other conference tournaments blow, Big East tournament is incredible. As a basketball fan nothing beats that Friday night and Saturday night at The Garden. Sunday in Greensboro, Minnesota, and Kansas City is pretty damn boring.

I just realized ACC wasn't in Greensboro this year, they don't even have a home.

Reaction Score
The other conference tournaments blow, Big East tournament is incredible. As a basketball fan nothing beats that Friday night and Saturday night at The Garden. Sunday in Greensboro, Minnesota, and Kansas City is pretty damn boring.

I just realized ACC wasn't in Greensboro this year, they don't even have a home.
the other tournaments pale in comparison.

Reaction Score
The ACC decided to play its tournament in the Atlantic 10 region this year. Maybe next year they'll go to the MAC region and host it in Toledo.

Outside of geography, the MWC would actually be a nice fit. All 6 of its tournament teams were either ranked or others receiving votes. On the football side, only Air Force and Wyoming were in Others Receiving Votes. No, I don't recommend joining, but a mix of some of those teams, big east, acc.

The acc needs to do something already.

Reaction Score
The ACC decided to play its tournament in the Atlantic 10 region this year.
Have you ever been to Washington DC?

The Big 10 could have the championship here and it'll be highly attended. Every major school, especially on the east coast, has an alumni chapter.

Reaction Score
I just love everyone talking about their love for the BE hoping UConn can go someplace and take the BE with them. Ain't happening. No one is taking schools that don't play FBS FB. This FB centric influence has already been felt in the BB tournament. If Purdue had not lost in their tournament they would have jumped UConn for the number one overall seed.

Reaction Score
For me, no one in the big east is important. UConn should be playing like minded public universities, and perhaps a few brand name private large universities. People fear that UConn will go back to AAC days if they leave the Big East, but circumstances were very different back then, UConn athletics will now get the support it needs if it can get to a power conference with like minded schools.

Reaction Score
I think the most important to UConn would be closer to the original Big East.
I’d like to keep playing Marquette and Xavier in hoops.
Regarding football schools: I’d love to see a league combining football and basketball.
Football:
UConn, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Va Tech, Wake Forest, Tulane, NC State, and Temple.
Basketball:
Villanova, Providence, Seton Hall, St John’s, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, (one of Creighton, Gonzaga, or Depaul).
That gives 16 football teams plus 8 basketball teams for a total of 24. A ton of existing and potential rivalries there.
I do think, if done right, that line up has the potential to put 2-3 teams in the football top 10 (6 in the top 25) and 8 in basketball top 25.
This assumes UNC and Florida St are B1G or SEC. The schools above need to drop egos and realize that if they don’t do something like this they will slowly but surely wither on the vine of collegiate athletics.
Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
None

Reaction Score

I don't think that's ever going to happen. And when the ACC implodes it won't be anything more than what the AAC was, except with Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
The ACC decided to play its tournament in the Atlantic 10 region this year. Maybe next year they'll go to the MAC region and host it in Toledo.

Outside of geography, the MWC would actually be a nice fit. All 6 of its tournament teams were either ranked or others receiving votes. On the football side, only Air Force and Wyoming were in Others Receiving Votes. No, I don't recommend joining, but a mix of some of those teams, big east, acc.

The acc needs to do something already.

The MWC is a bunch of pretenders. I'd take a football only invite though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom