ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
Even if those brands left (and Louisville & Pitt are less desirable brands to a Big XII already bloated to 16) you'd still have a rump ACC that is better for the athletic department and would feature several long-term rivals. If you had a scenario where the Big XII decided to be the Big XX you're more likely looking at them seeking NC State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and one out of the Georgia Tech, Louisville, Duke (if he Yormark really thinks hoops has value). That leaves the rump ACC with BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Pitt, two of Louisville, Georgia Tech, Duke (as well as Stanford, SMU & Cal). From a nostalgia perspective you still get a taste of the Big East that UConn grew up in, albeit under a different name (and nowhere near as sweet), from a football perspective you get a schedule with schools that while currently P4 (at least in name) are programs UConn can compete with.

It won't happen, but really the best thing "sanity-wise" in a scenario where the ACC loses its top brands would be for the ACC and Big XII to partner to swap out brands into a bit more of a geographic alignment. Rump-ACC would swap out Stanford, Cal & SMU for WVU, UCF & Cincy.
I agree. The SEC and Big are P2. Battle is for P3 slot. Neither Big 12 or ACC is in a position today to poach the other. You make interesting point about those two working together to create value. Louisville, Cincy, WVU and Memphis in same conference makes a nice regional fit.
So does UConn, BC and Syracuse.

Everything really hinges on who stays in ACC and whether ND continues its partnership with ACC for FB. If ND football joined ACC what does that do to equation?

Reaction Score
Everything really hinges on who stays in ACC and whether ND continues its partnership with ACC for FB. If ND football joined ACC what does that do to equation?
In that extraordinarily unlikely scenario (joining in full), it'd be a game-changer for their rights. It's not going to happen.

Notre Dame will go to whomever offers them the best deal for their non-football rights, for the leftover-ACC to keep them, they'd probably have to back off of the game commitment to whatever level of help Notre Dame wants in filling its schedule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree. The SEC and Big are P2. Battle is for P3 slot. Neither Big 12 or ACC is in a position today to poach the other. You make interesting point about those two working together to create value. Louisville, Cincy, WVU and Memphis in same conference makes a nice regional fit.
So does UConn, BC and Syracuse.

The race for spot P3 is interesting because all the top tier programs have been poached from the Big12 whereas the ACC still has poachable schools.

Big12 is more solid vis a vis the ACC because ACC hasn't been raided yet and once the flood gates open the middle of the ACC which remains after poaching might like the Big12 more than it would like floating to the top of the ACC and backfilling the ACC with more non-P4 schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems to me the horse trading of the remaining schools/conf will be decided by the funders- ahem; tv money, which is pretty much the same as all the prior cycles. So will Fox arm the B1G for one more expansion? Will ESPN support the SEC for one more expansion at the cost of its ACC product? Will Fox support the B12 for one more expansion? IDK- but that seems to be a very important part of the calculus.

I think the wildcard for us is whether or not Fox wants to fund the B12’s desires for ACC remnants. If they stand down, then maybe the ACC remnants survive and we fill the vacuum to form a power lite conf backed by ESPN.

So Fox are supporting the FSU exit?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As we say iit n these mountains of Appalachia...the would be a fox paw for ESPN.

Reaction Score
I don't find this rumor nor its original source (Jim Williams) to be credible. But, like most of you, I do believe more realignment is inevitable.

I'm not a UConn alum nor a longtime fan. I do have an interest. I have lived in the state since 2017. My daughter is UConn student. And my son is graduating high school in June and will matriculate next fall. As an interested and sympathetic observer, the the topic of this thread and the variety of comments within it made me curious what UConn alums and fans would prefer if given a choice.

1) Stay in the Big East.

2) Join an ACC that included something like: South Florida, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, SMU, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.

Reaction Score
So Fox are supporting the FSU exit?

According to Greg Flugaur, this is the order FOX prefers expansion candidates:

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Miami

If Florida State became available, they would be #19. That means #20 goes to Notre Dame if ND wanted it. If not, UNC would have next selection, and if UNC didn't want it, it would go to Miami.

I don't think there is any scenario where the B1G would have to go any further down the list than that.

Notre Dame could insist on independence
UNC could go with the SEC (and Flugaur insists that the current UNC administration prefers the SEC)
But I don't see Miami in any way, shape or form turning down a B1G invite.

His sources also say that FSU wants in the B1G.

So the likely outcome here is FSU #19 and then either Notre Dame joins at #20 or Miami does, as UNC appears set on the SEC.

Reaction Score
I don't find this rumor nor its original source (Jim Williams) to be credible. But, like most of you, I do believe more realignment is inevitable.

I'm not a UConn alum nor a longtime fan. I do have an interest. I have lived in the state since 2017. My daughter is UConn student. And my son is graduating high school in June and will matriculate next fall. As an interested and sympathetic observer, the the topic of this thread and the variety of comments within it made me curious what UConn alums and fans would prefer if given a choice.

1) Stay in the Big East.

2) Join an ACC that included something like: South Florida, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, SMU, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.

2 is still the correct answer: Syracuse, Boston College & Pitt gives you the historical tie for Big East nostalgists. Louisville & South Florida were even in the conference as long as Marquette & DePaul; Virginia Tech was even a Big East hoops member a few years. You then add Duke to give you another marquee program. You solve the football problem. The money would be larger... it's a no brain decision that if your option was to be part of that 16 team league or remaining in the Big East, you join the ACC leftovers.

Reaction Score

1) Stay in the Big East.

Without hesitation, the answer would clearly be to matriculate from the Big East to the New ACC which would be a mix of the Old Big East Football programs, the PAC 12, and the ACC detritus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Florida State became available, they would be #19. That means #20 goes to Notre Dame if ND wanted it. If not, UNC would have next selection, and if UNC didn't want it, it would go to Miam UConn
Sounds good to me

Reaction Score
Cal-Berkeley to the ACC makes so much sense because:
They took a discounted payout (although not the SMU freebie) and agreed to play home games half way across the country. Reportedly the ACC then took the money from their pro-rata and is using that to fund the performance based payouts that were the initial attempt to appease Florida State

Reaction Score
They took a discounted payout (although not the SMU freebie) and agreed to play home games half way across the country. Reportedly the ACC then took the money from their pro-rata and is using that to fund the performance based payouts that were the initial attempt to appease Florida State
But why Cal? Could they have gotten the pro-rata increase from any other program? They got San Fran with Stanford. Cal stinks in football. B1G and SEC went after top football brands and the ACC picked up Cal.

Reaction Score
But why Cal? Could they have gotten the pro-rata increase from any other program? They got San Fran with Stanford. Cal stinks in football. B1G and SEC went after top football brands and the ACC picked up Cal.
The ACC didn't get a sniff from the other brands, Texas/OU wasn't going there, especially when they knew they could land in the SEC or Big Ten and make more. The ACC didn't want to go to the Pacific (the Big Ten was first to have that vision). They got Cal & Stanford on the cheap when the Bears/Cardinal and the ACC were both desperate... the ACC needed revenue to placate Florida State; and Cal/Stanford needed a home any home in anything that resembled a Power conference. Otherwise they'd be in the same spot as Wash. State and Oregon State.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I see Cal/Stanford returning to a conference on the West coast and joining back up with OSU and WSU. When some of these ACC schools start packing their bags, are they really going to stay? I just don't see it. I don't see it being a thing now but it is. In the next round of realignment, I think we won't see either school in the ACC, or the other P3

Reaction Score
If 4 top ACC brands leave, there is basically no chance any Big12 teams would move to the ACC.
I think UCF, WVU & Cincinnati would all join the ACC for travel reasons. It would make sense for the B12 and the ACC to stay as separate conferences based on geography, but share a TV contract.

Reaction Score
All future expansion is subject to the networks contributing hundreds of millions to make expansion possible. Barring that increased revenue, every B1G and SEC team will have to take a reduction in revenue for the sake of expansion. With the players looking to get paid, I don’t see the B1G or the SEC expanding given those unknown costs.

Reaction Score
I think UCF, WVU & Cincinnati would all join the ACC for travel reasons. It would make sense for the B12 and the ACC to stay as separate conferences based on geography, but share a TV contract.
Travel has not been a reason for ANY conference realignment movements. It's all about the top line/revenue, stability/football conference profile, and access to CFP dollars.

If the best ACC brands leave for the B1G and or SEC, you'll be left with a third tier ACC in terms of the conference pecking order (it'll be SEC/B1G in tier 1, a gap down to the Big12, the ACC leftovers, another gap down to the G5)... No media outlet is going to throw big dollars at a Big12/remnant ACC because there's not enough linear TV slots for that big of a Frankenstein conference/2-conference affiliation with second/third rate viewership history.

Reaction Score
Based on the 19 team Jim Williams ACC...I guess the two divisions would be...memphis could go in either...

a lot to like about our division for MBB purposes...plus the occasional road trip to New Orleans...

the obvious perpetual disclaimer...that is of course until the 'best' football programs get poached

Boston College
Duke
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
UConn
UVA
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Cal
Georgia Tech
Miami
OSU
SMU
Stanford
Tulane
USF
WSU

Reaction Score
According to Greg Flugaur, this is the order FOX prefers expansion candidates:

1. Notre Dame
2. North Carolina
3. Florida State
4. Miami

If Florida State became available, they would be #19. That means #20 goes to Notre Dame if ND wanted it. If not, UNC would have next selection, and if UNC didn't want it, it would go to Miami.

I don't think there is any scenario where the B1G would have to go any further down the list than that.

Notre Dame could insist on independence
UNC could go with the SEC (and Flugaur insists that the current UNC administration prefers the SEC)
But I don't see Miami in any way, shape or form turning down a B1G invite.

His sources also say that FSU wants in the B1G.

So the likely outcome here is FSU #19 and then either Notre Dame joins at #20 or Miami does, as UNC appears set on the SEC.

Fluguar is not Key Tweets worthy.

Reaction Score
Based on the 19 team Jim Williams ACC...I guess the two divisions would be...memphis could go in either...

a lot to like about our division for MBB purposes...plus the occasional road trip to New Orleans...

the obvious perpetual disclaimer...that is of course until the 'best' football programs get poached

Boston College
Duke
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
UConn
UVA
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Cal
Georgia Tech
Miami
OSU
SMU
Stanford
Tulane
USF
WSU

I don't think Miami will be around. After that, I think this is realistic ---- unless the Big 12 can poach.

Reaction Score
If Cuse and BC know what’s good for them, they will push for us. The region needs the rivalries.

I’d like to merge the Big East with the ACC. I love Big East basketball. I just watched Xavier and Georgetown and enjoyed it. I don’t really enjoy watching any other conference and never have. A lifetime of following the Big East is hard to let go.
The BIG EAST will never join a football conference again. You think Georgetown want to be associated with NC State, Duke or UNC?

Reactions: Orc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom