ACC football. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bortles is excellent. But tell me how the teams ranked in front of UCF end up in dogfights with Temple and USF. They dispose of garbage teams like that.

Oregon was just in a close one with OSU, a team that lost to Washington 69-27 the previous week. Wisky has beaten the bad teams they played, and lost to the good, and was dominated by a mediocre at best PSU team. I haven't really checked the others, but I bet they played some close ones against bad comp too. Temple is bad no doubt, but at least USF has beaten Cincy. Michigan State, in fact, was up by only 1 score over USF until late in their game.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That is why being strong on all sides of the ball...defense, offense and ST can help prevent a loss...
Special teams isn't a side of the ball. Its a "phase" of the game. Just a technical point since ive had a couple of drinks and it annoyed me.

Reaction Score
Just a magical, magical conference.

Duke is +28 in the championship game.
Same as it always was when FSU won like 9 years in a row. Always a one horse race. What's new?

Reaction Score
FSU will be BCS #1 today.

Oh...FSU would roll a few...

Certainly Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Michigan State (who was beaten by Notre dame who Pitt beat..and who only put up 14 points on Purdue and Minnesota). Heck, if Michigan State loses to Ohio State, we willsee FSU roll the Buckeyes.

Florida wasn't a great team and had a very bad offense...but they were Top Ten in Total Defense...and FSU, far and away, scored more points on them then did an SEC team.

But..if you don't have much to cheer for, it is always good to have something to cheer against.

I take it you will not be cheering for FSU?

It's a huge mistake, esp in CF, to play the who beat who game, eventually such irrational thinking doesn't make sense and the circularity and senselessness gets you dizzy. But hey now, let's play the game you started:

• Everybody and their mother thinks the Pac12 is the second best conference, yet ND, who lost to Pitt, beat USC and ASU & certainly played Stanford close. Btw, Stanford lost to Utah, yes Utah, the same team who lost to Washington State & Stanford destroyed Washington State. Want some more examples? Too bad, I have some more.

• I mean Oregon beat Va pretty badly, as bad as Clemson, yet Oregon got punished by unranked AZ, who was in turn punished by ASU. So does ND (remember they beat ASU) equal Clemson and Oregon because they beat ASU? They lost to Pitt right? The polls don't think so as well, since ND is now unranked. Didn't Miami just beat Pitt at their place by 10? Pitt beat Duke, but Duke clobbered Miami. SCar lost to Tenn, a team who got smoked by Oregon & won a grand total of 2 SEC games. And what about FSU only beating BC by 14? BC lost to USC by 4 TDs, and Kiffin was still the coach ;). Remember, ND beat USC, yet lost to Pitt. BC also got smoked by UNC, a team who lost by 24 to ECU. Btw, what conference does ECU play in ? I haven't a clue.

Other notes:

MSU, btw, was amid a huge public QB crisis when they played ND. Things have settled since. Which leads to my next batch of points, that may help explain the madness above.

CF is all about match ups, venues, rivalries, injuries, momentum, motivation - many of the players are just teenagers & these are not professionally paid athletes yet. Thus distractions can kill a team's focus. For example, injury point, people forget Braxton Miller was injured much of the early season. He has only really played out of his injury the past few games, today's Braxton Miller leads OSU in much bigger wins against NW, Iowa and Wisconsin, early season games. Georgia has been pulverized by injuries, which started in their loss to Clemson & didn't end for much of the season. I don't think Tenn beats a healthy SCar team, who at the time of that game, was wiped out

The reason FSU does not go through a BIG schedule like the ACC, weather and the consistency of run oriented teams. FSU would also have a helluva travel schedule in the BIG. There may be some cold weather venues in the ACC, but not like the BIG, and the venues of the BIG are much bigger as well. You can't air it out every game & the speed game dramatically diminishes at sub 50 degrees and gets exponentially effected as the temperature drops.

But yeah, FSU would roll a lot of BIG teams, just not as many as in the ACC. On the other hand, FSU rolling OSU, you may win, but you're not playing a Tressel coached Buckeyes, and you're not an SEC team, a sort of hex OSU can't seem to shake. A handful of teams can play with FSU, just not in the ACC, this year. I would love to see FSU play any of the following: Bama, Auburn, Mizzou, OkSt, Stanford & OSU - all would give better games than the ACC's best. OSU's secondary is what loses the game against FSU & their secondary is barely good at times. But they will hang with you for a good part of the game & they have a pain in the ass run game, something quite similar to BC, perhaps better. Remember, Hyde didn't play the first few games.

I like this FSU team, it's about time you all got back to the big stage again. But you were never really far, talent has been there, it's just really hard to replace a legend. I think you win it all. At the end of the day, the Florida schools have ruled CF for much of the past 25 years - a phenomenon that goes under the radar lately. But these schools should dominate. Fla, at end of the day, has the best overall hs talent. You have per capita talent that typically equals a smaller state like La, yet produce quantity on par with Tx and Ca, both being more populated states, and by decent margins.

Reaction Score
I am not A Big Ten guy....But FSU has historically matched up well against Big Ten teams...

Beat 11 win Michigan, the Big Ten Champ in their Big House, by scoring 51 points to set a scoring record (split 1-1 record with Michigan)...beat Michigan State both times that they have played (in Lansing by a combined score of 62-10), beat Ohio State by at least two scores every time that they have played (twice in Columbus and once in the Sugar), beat Wisconsin in Champs Bowl by 29 points...and my favorite..

FSU lost to Penn State in the Orange Bowl in FSU's down years (2005)...Penn State was 11-1 (lost on the last play of game to Michigan to keep them from being undefeated). There was much whining and carping about being disrespected and having to play 8-4 FSU in the Orange Bowl. David Robinson spent his evening being chased and tackled by the Nole front line as the game went to triple overtime. A great defensive battle.

The Myth of FSU's Dynasty Run Being with a Weak Schedule:

During the Dynasty run...FSU played a tough Schedule (teams play schedules not conferences).

Both Miami and Florida were in the Top Five Winningest Teams of the 90's...and they blew the schedule up playing both every year.

This run started in 1987 and ending in the year 2000. Let's compare schedule of the I-A teams over that period.

Florida State played 172 games from 1987 to 2000. Their .887 winning percentage is about 3 percentage points better than the second place team.

Florida State played 35 teams that finished in the top 10. That's 20.3% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 2 teams.

Florida State played 67 teams that finished ranked. That's 39.0% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 3 teams.

Florida State played 104 teams that finished with a winning record. That's 60.5% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 1 team.

Florida State played 90 teams that went to bowls. That's 52.3% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 3 teams.

Florida State's opponents combined for a winning percentage of .595, which is a higher percentage than any other team.

Reaction Score
The thread is titled ACC Football...was that a typo and should have been AAC?

Scuse me if so...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What happened to this thread?

Who knows. I know this, if Michigan State can knock off Ohio State, that will send Auburn or Missouri to the NC game against FSU and we can find out whether FSU is for real or not (I'm assuming that Bama wouldn't be ahead of Mizzou on points, but they could be). For the record, I think FSU probably beats whoever they play.

Reaction Score
FSU is overrated. They beat NO ONE. The ACCis incredibly weak and they and OSU benefitted from down years in thier respective conferences.

Miami and Duke would not make it out of the SEC with winning records. Heck, Duke would not finish in the top 2 in the AAC.

Having a NC game w/FSU and OSU sparring is a perfect way for the BCS to end -- let the better teams watch the games from their couches. Then again, I think OSU gets knocked off this weekend.

Reaction Score
Oregon was just in a close one with OSU, a team that lost to Washington 69-27 the previous week. Wisky has beaten the bad teams they played, and lost to the good, and was dominated by a mediocre at best PSU team. I haven't really checked the others, but I bet they played some close ones against bad comp too. Temple is bad no doubt, but at least USF has beaten Cincy. Michigan State, in fact, was up by only 1 score over USF until late in their game.

CF is filled with the inexplicable, well not really, see my post response to one of Billy Bud's posts. Motivation, travel, match ups, venues, rivalries, youth, focus and execution are heavy factors at this level. PSU clearly won the "motivation, focus & execution" battles with Wisky. I mean Wisky did beat IU 51-7, and the Hoosiers spanked PSU. I wouldn't say PSU dominated Wisky as much as the Badgers beat themselves. They played awful and O'Brien is to good of a coach not to exploit such mistakes. I was at the PSU-Minny game, btw Minny lost to Wisconsin, and the Gophers were in control for much of their matchup with PSU and won. The score may suggest differently, but Minnesota controlled the lines and just knew they would win, no one at TCF seemed worried after seeing a few quarters. Minny has had a lot of success against PSU over the years, esp during the Mason era - thus a rivalry for them, not so much PSU & it shows for them in the loss column.

Reaction Score
FSU is overrated. They beat NO ONE. The ACCis incredibly weak and they and OSU benefitted from down years in thier respective conferences.

Miami and Duke would not make it out of the SEC with winning records. Heck, Duke would not finish in the top 2 in the AAC.

Having a NC game w/FSU and OSU sparring is a perfect way for the BCS to end -- let the better teams watch the games from their couches. Then again, I think OSU gets knocked off this weekend.

I disagree, both the ACC and BIG have crowded mid-level teams with a lot of bowl eligibility, both lack more than 2 or 3 "really strong" teams. The ACC had a lot of change this year due to expansion, these young men need a couple of years to adapt to the schedule - such is a tricky proposition. Last year, I suspected Mizzou would struggle more with an SEC schedule due to recruiting styles and greater travel than aTm, but look at this year.

Reaction Score
CF is filled with the inexplicable, well not really, see my post response to one of Billy Bud's posts. Motivation, travel, match ups, venues, rivalries, youth, focus and execution are heavy factors at this level. PSU clearly won the "motivation, focus & execution" battles with Wisky. I mean Wisky did beat IU 51-7, and the Hoosiers spanked PSU. I wouldn't say PSU dominated Wisky as much as the Badgers beat themselves. They played awful and O'Brien is to good of a coach not to exploit such mistakes. I was at the PSU-Minny game, btw Minny lost to Wisconsin, and the Gophers were in control for much of their matchup with PSU and won. The score may suggest differently, but Minnesota controlled the lines and just knew they would win, no one at TCF seemed worried after seeing a few quarters. Minny has had a lot of success against PSU over the years, esp during the Mason era - thus a rivalry for them, not so much PSU & it shows for them in the loss column.

No offense, but I'm convinced you didn't watch the game. It was domination.

Reaction Score
I agree, you do matchup historically well, but that doesn't translate into playing a regular season against a BIG schedule.

I remember that FSU-PSU game, it had a lot at stake due to Bowden vs Paterno, all-time wins & it wasn't really a pretty game. As I clearly said in my response to you, things such as "motivation, match ups, injuries, momentum" etc., matter greatly. Similar to Oregon's sudden slide this season (loss to Stanford de-rerailed them, therefore an AZ loss) PSU missing out on a NCG with their loss to Michigan (2005), they lost plenty of motivation after realizing they would not play for it all. The pressure was on PSU, not so much FSU. Lower ranked teams, esp in a bowl game, generally have the motivation edge (upset alert) to pull it off. Give Bowden a month to prepare for any team, game on, but the same goes for Paterno. If I'm not mistaken, PSU had some key injuries in that game as well. That Polouszny guy was playing with a broken something.

That PSU team had QB controversy all year, it eventually got exposed against Michigan, you guys as well.

I am not A Big Ten guy....But FSU has historically matched up well against Big Ten teams...

Beat 11 win Michigan, the Big Ten Champ in their Big House, by scoring 51 points to set a scoring record (split 1-1 record with Michigan)...beat Michigan State both times that they have played (in Lansing by a combined score of 62-10), beat Ohio State by at least two scores every time that they have played (twice in Columbus and once in the Sugar), beat Wisconsin in Champs Bowl by 29 points...and my favorite..

FSU lost to Penn State in the Orange Bowl in FSU's down years (2005)...Penn State was 11-1 (lost on the last play of game to Michigan to keep them from being undefeated). There was much whining and carping about being disrespected and having to play 8-4 FSU in the Orange Bowl. David Robinson spent his evening being chased and tackled by the Nole front line as the game went to triple overtime. A great defensive battle.

The Myth of FSU's Dynasty Run Being with a Weak Schedule:

During the Dynasty run...FSU played a tough Schedule (teams play schedules not conferences).

Both Miami and Florida were in the Top Five Winningest Teams of the 90's...and they blew the schedule up playing both every year.

This run started in 1987 and ending in the year 2000. Let's compare schedule of the I-A teams over that period.

Florida State played 172 games from 1987 to 2000. Their .887 winning percentage is about 3 percentage points better than the second place team.

Florida State played 35 teams that finished in the top 10. That's 20.3% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 2 teams.

Florida State played 67 teams that finished ranked. That's 39.0% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 3 teams.

Florida State played 104 teams that finished with a winning record. That's 60.5% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 1 team.

Florida State played 90 teams that went to bowls. That's 52.3% of their games and a higher percentage than all but 3 teams.

Florida State's opponents combined for a winning percentage of .595, which is a higher percentage than any other team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No offense, but I'm convinced you didn't watch the game. It was domination.

Disagree. It looked more like Wisky was flat, dumb (TOs and that blown coverage on one of PSU's TDs), out coached and overconfident. Wisky outscored PSU in 2 quarters of the game. Wisky abandoned their run game, big time, partly because one of the RBs was injured. The Wisky HC is not Bill O'Brien, he's made some seriously bad mistakes this year - he lacks in game adjustment skills. Btw, I rooted for PSU, almost always root against Wisky.

The stat lines were nearly equivalent, except the often overlooked yet supremely important TO column, which was the difference in the end - coaching as well. It was pretty clear Wisky switched gears, albeit too late, in the 4th qtr and a comeback seemed possible for much this quarter. PSU won the TO and coaching battles - hardly dominance. NO OFFENSE, but Stay away from unfiltered water. A better example of dominance is say PSU beating OSU in 1994.

Reaction Score
Disagree. It looked more like Wisky was flat, dumb (TOs and that blown coverage on one of PSU's TDs), out coached and overconfident. Wisky outscored PSU in 2 quarters of the game. Wisky abandoned their run game, big time, partly because one of the RBs was injured. The Wisky HC is not Bill O'Brien, he's made some seriously bad mistakes this year - he lacks in game adjustment skills. Btw, I rooted for PSU, almost always root against Wisky.

The stat lines were nearly equivalent, except the often overlooked yet supremely important TO column, which was the difference in the end - coaching as well. In other words, PSU won the TO and coaching battles - hardly dominance. Stay away from unfiltered water.

Man, you're making classic excuses here. Stat line when the team out in front builds a three score lead? Really?

PSU got way out in front, played prevent and ran out the clock. It was classic fourth quarter football.

And turnovers are part of the game. So are blown coverage. UConn is a bowl team if not for turnovers and blown coverages.

Reaction Score
Man, you're making classic excuses here. Stat line when the team out in front builds a three score lead? Really?

PSU got way out in front, played prevent and ran out the clock. It was classic fourth quarter football.

And turnovers are part of the game. So are blown coverage. UConn is a bowl team if not for turnovers and blown coverages.

What excuses am I making? My posts clearly say coaching and TOs are part of the game & I was rooting for PSU. You don't seem to understand the word "dominance". I gave you an example, how about a few more: USC vs OU, Florida vs OSU, Neb vs Fl - all easy to remember NCG - the games were out of reach by halftime. Please don't redefine "dominance". I was worried as hell that Wisky would come back on PSU and kill the upset bid. I don't feel that way if I know the team I want to win is "dominating". Case closed!

Reaction Score
What excuses am I making? My posts clearly say coaching and TOs are part of the game & I was rooting for PSU. You don't seem to understand the word "dominance". I gave you an example, how about a few more: USC vs OU, Florida vs OSU, Neb vs Fl - all easy to remember NCG - the games were out of reach by halftime. Please don't redefine "dominance". I was worried as hell that Wisky would come back on PSU and kill the upset bid. I don't feel that way if I know the team I want to win is "dominating". Case closed!

Dominance is when you control both sides of the line of scrimmage and go up by 3 scores to a team who is favored by 24 points AT their home.

I was never ever worried about Wisconsin that whole game.

What excuses? How about when you said PSU didn't dominate so much as Wisconsin blew coverages and turnovers? Those are excuses. That's just part of football.

Reaction Score
Dominance is when you control both sides of the line of scrimmage and go up by 3 scores to a team who is favored by 24 points AT their home.

I was never ever worried about Wisconsin that whole game.

What excuses? How about when you said PSU didn't dominate so much as Wisconsin blew coverages and turnovers? Those are excuses. That's just part of football.

You know, I really don't care at this point. You seem hellbent on your glory. We both can take refuge in the fact that Wisky lost. I can take refuge in the fact that Minny beat PSU : ). You need to read more carefully. I do not make excuses for TOs, they are clearly part of the game. I can honestly say that Wisky is a better team than PSU, most days, just as PSU is a better team than IU, most days. And it pains me to say Wisky is a better team than Minnesota.

Reaction Score
You know, I really don't care at this point. You seem hellbent on your glory. We both can take refuge in the fact that Wisky lost. I can take refuge in the fact that Minny beat PSU : ). You need to read more carefully. I do not make excuses for TOs, they are clearly part of the game. I can honestly say that Wisky is a better team than PSU, most days, just as PSU is a better team than IU, most days. And it pains me to say Wisky is a better team than Minnesota.

Holy cow. You have some of the thinnest skin repeatedly on these boards. Why on earth are you going after my point about Wisconsin's weak schedule. It's the whole context behind what I wrote. Lordy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Personally, I think FSU is worthy of being in the Championship Game. It's the other undefeated team that I'm not sold on. I'm not so convinced that they will get past Sparty so we will likely see FSU vs. 1-loss SEC team in the Championship Game anyway.

Reaction Score
Michigan State has a lousy offense....OSU should beat them...I don't hink you beat OSU with defense only.

Sparty has four games of scoring 21 points or less..three of 17 points or less. Lowly Purdue held them to 14 and USF to 21.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
OSU's D is not good either…

Cal - 34 pts
Northwestern - 30 pts
Iowa - 24 pts
Illinois - 35 pts
Michigan - 41 pts

I see the matchup as each team's strengths and each team's weaknesses going up against each other. It can go either way but MSU has a good shot of winning. FSU will blow out Duke. Honestly, part of me is hoping for OSU to blow out MSU so that we can land Narduzzi.

Reaction Score
Michigan State has a lousy offense....OSU should beat them...I don't hink you beat OSU with defense only.

Sparty has four games of scoring 21 points or less..three of 17 points or less. Lowly Purdue held them to 14 and USF to 21.
Look at it the other way: MSU has not given up a touchdown in 5 of their last 6 games and OSU isn't stopping anyone lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom