ACC football. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I grant you that they played a tougher schedule in those day than they do today, but it wasn't in the ACC. In their first 10 years in the league Florida State lost 4 conference games. they didn't lose 2 ACC games in a single season until their 10th season in the conference. They went unbeaten 7 of their first 10 ACC seasons. They were so far and away above everyone else in that league at the time it was crazy. Seems to be heading back that way again.

Sooo? FSU was just better...They also beat any comers and didn't lose a bowl game for 14 years...bring Ohio State, Nebraska..down they went. Are you also saying that because FSU didn't lose a bowl game in 14 seasons, that the other conferences best were just weak?

You are ignoring that the ACC had as many ranked teams in many years of the 90's as did the Big ten...go back and look at my chart....Plenty of ranked teams from the ACC...certainly more then Ohio stae has played this year...

Reaction Score
Damn,you make Duke FB sound like Oregon-Baylor's high flying offense's but if their that good why were'nt the pollsters/writers/coaches voting them appropriately? I was starting to think BC had something going after the FSU game but recent performances tempered that thought!

No I don't imply Duke's offense is like Baylor or Oregon. UVA played Oregon this season. I acknowledge the difference. What I said is that Duke is good enough to beat Ohio State not Oregon or Baylor. And the pollsters/writers didn't praise Duke because they thought Duke was a fluke. But after Duke's 10th win in the conference that the pollsters/writers do recognize as third strongest this season behind the SEC and PAC 12, the pollsters/writers are noticing now. Unfortunately for Duke they have to play Florida State, who will burst their bubble. But Duke has had a great season.

Reaction Score
I think he mean's the last 12 or so yrs after starting his comment about early/mid 90s ACC. Seem's that might have been what triggered the 1st BE raid was lack of "quality" product and possibly subsequent raiding?We all know what the early and BE version of the "U" was. I really don't know what happened at FSU after BB was let go?

The ACC expansion in 2002 had nothing to do with quality of the football product. The ACC wanted a Football Championship Game and needed 3 more schools to have one. by NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
No I don't imply Duke's offense is like Baylor or Oregon. UVA played Oregon this season. I acknowledge the difference. What I said is that Duke is good enough to beat Ohio State not Oregon or Baylor. And the pollsters/writers didn't praise Duke because they thought Duke was a fluke. But after Duke's 10th win in the conference that the pollsters/writers do recognize as third strongest this season behind the SEC and PAC 12, the pollsters/writers are noticing now. Unfortunately for Duke they have to play Florida State, who will burst their bubble. But Duke has had a great season.

Wow, good enough to beat OSU but not Baylor or Oregon?

Look, they actually play a little defense in the B1G. It's not like the B12.

Reaction Score
The ACC expansion in 2002 had nothing to do with quality of the football product. The ACC wanted a Football Championship Game and needed 3 more schools to have one. by NCAA rules.

And the ACC wanted to expand before the Big E leadership in Providence got its head out its arse and woke-up to the realization how important football was. Mission accomplished on that one :mad:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're a pleasant fellow, but you're a moonbat.

The first raid was all about bolstering the football product - it wasn't good.

By the numbers, the ACC's BCS bid would have been in trouble.

Reaction Score
Wow, good enough to beat OSU but not Baylor or Oregon?

Look, they actually play a little defense in the B1G. It's not like the B12.

I know what they play in the Big Ten. Michigan State has the best defensive stats. Notre Dame beat the Michigan State defense, and then they lost to Pittsburgh. Duke lost to Pittsburgh too 58-55 in early September. But Duke's defense has improved greatly since that game. Duke wouldn't lose to Pittsburgh now IMO. Michigan State would still lose to Notre Dame.

Ohio State will either beat Michigan State and get killed by Florida State, or they will lose to Michigan State and get killed in another BCS Bowl or the Capital One Bowl unless they draw Northern Illinois, who looks to sneak in there again. If they lose to Michigan State, Michigan State would go to the Rose Bowl and get killed. Wisconsin's been killed in it for about 3 years now. One game may have been close. The Big Ten is 1-9 in that game since 2000. Nebraska lost to Miami in it too before they joined the Big Ten. Throw them in, and it's 1-10. Ohio State wouldn't drop that far with a loss, and another BCS Bowl would probably pick them up because they bring a lot of people.

I know that all the FSU fans want the first scenario and a game with Ohio State.

Reaction Score
You're a pleasant fellow, but you're a moonbat.

The first raid was all about bolstering the football product - it wasn't good.

By the numbers, the ACC's BCS bid would have been in trouble.

No it wasn't. I lived it and followed it extremely closely. It was about getting to 12 to have a championship game. If it was about the football product, Miami would have been the only invite. Virginia Tech was not on the original list of desired invites, and Virginia Tech had just played for the football national championship in 1999. The expansion in 2002 was about the championship game, and when the effort derailed and only 2 were invited instead of 3, the league petitioned the NCAA to have a championship game with 11 schools. The NCAA said no, and then that's when BC was invited. The entire goal was the Championship Game and nothing else. The ACC's BCS bid was probably the most secure of any conference at the time in 2002. FSU had just been to the BCS national championship game in 1998, 1999, and 2000.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think you follow anything too closely if you actually think that. Go look at the year-end rankings for the ACC back then and tell me things were hunky dory. The Big East was outrunning the ACC and something had to be done. BC was consistently in the top 25, Syracuse was top 15 in '01, etc. (Shades of 2011 when the ACC dealt with Big East hoops putting them in the shade.)

And not for nothing, but 48-38?

Reaction Score
I don't think you follow anything too closely if you actually think that. Go look at the year-end rankings for the ACC back then and tell me things were hunky dory. The Big East was outrunning the ACC and something had to be done. BC was consistently in the top 25, Syracuse was top 15 in '01, etc. (Shades of 2011 when the ACC dealt with Big East hoops putting them in the shade.)

And not for nothing, but 48-38?
It's not a matter of what I think. It's what happened. I don't know about hunky dory. Maryland won the ACC in 2001. They played Florida in the Orange Bowl. Florida won. Maryland finished the final Poll at 10. FSU finished at 15. Yes those Big East schools you mentioned were in the top 25. What does that matter? Miami was the highest winning the National Championship. At the time Miami was in the Big East.

The ACC was concerned about itself, not the Big East. It wanted a Championship Football Game because it saw the SEC and the Big XII do well with Championship Football Games. The Big East was a Basketball Conference that did football on the side. I actually think that the schools in the AAC are better off than in the Big East because everyone is on the same page. All of the schools sponsor football and basketball I think UConn deserves an invite in a P5 league like the ACC or Big Ten. But I think the AAC is better without the Catholic 7. Some on here think Notre Dame will be a cancer on the ACC. I'm hopefull that in the end the Notre Dame -ACC marriage will be beneficial for both parties.

And 48-38? Horrible Game. Poor shooting. Wisconsin plays good defense. Better than UVA, who plays good defense.

Reaction Score
LOL...10 loss Virginia did have one BCS win......over BYU. I would very quietly mention BYU as a "worthy opponent".

Yeah they did. I don't get how UVa won that game considering BYU had some decent wins this year & they certainly took care of business against GT, who in turn beat UVa. God, BYU whooped Tx and Tx destroyed OU, but then Tx had some inexplicable losses of their own, while OU went into South Bend and took care of business. I think I already made an extended point on the transitive issues related to common opponents in CF. So many factors make it all unpredictable.

Reaction Score
The bigger question is why anyone here cares to see a debate about Wisconsin's schedule? Who cares about Wisconsin? How did they even come up in a thread about ACC Football? Wisconsin will go a middling bowl game and doesn't derseve anything better.

Lord, follow the thread and you'll know why and not even make such a future post. Upstater and I got into a harmless smack session. Anyways.

Reaction Score
The ACC’s original 3 targets back in 2002 were BC, Syracuse and Miami. They wanted 12 to have a title game and they wanted the programs with the most ‘history.’ VT was still a ‘new’ football power then; but, Richmond politicians forced UVA who in turn forced the ACC to take VT instead of Syracuse. Beyond the lawsuits, there were rumors, as expressed by BC’s AD, in Chestnut Hill that BC was petrified that in 10 years, UConn would be the more attractive target and thus took the risk of being a distant outlier in the ACC. Even back then, there was talk of a ‘super’ ACC emerging with 16 teams with UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, and WV going to the ACC in the next round. Of course, even as evidence mounted that football was going to be king, the Big E leadership team sat back in Providence telling each other that everything was going to be OK.

Reaction Score
I know what they play in the Big Ten. Michigan State has the best defensive stats. Notre Dame beat the Michigan State defense, and then they lost to Pittsburgh. Duke lost to Pittsburgh too 58-55 in early September. But Duke's defense has improved greatly since that game. Duke wouldn't lose to Pittsburgh now IMO. Michigan State would still lose to Notre Dame.

Ohio State will either beat Michigan State and get killed by Florida State, or they will lose to Michigan State and get killed in another BCS Bowl or the Capital One Bowl unless they draw Northern Illinois, who looks to sneak in there again. If they lose to Michigan State, Michigan State would go to the Rose Bowl and get killed. Wisconsin's been killed in it for about 3 years now. One game may have been close. The Big Ten is 1-9 in that game since 2000. Nebraska lost to Miami in it too before they joined the Big Ten. Throw them in, and it's 1-10. Ohio State wouldn't drop that far with a loss, and another BCS Bowl would probably pick them up because they bring a lot of people.

I know that all the FSU fans want the first scenario and a game with Ohio State.

Ah the transitive property of wins. You don't really want to play this game, do you? I guarantee it ends badly.

Reaction Score
So they(ACC)travel deep into Yankee territory(yes,miami)to find BC,Miami and VT schools not considered hoop powers but FB names just to hold 1 game? Why not elevate a school in the south to accomplish two things(helping a brotha)? I mean BC? What?800 miles away deep in New England and stamp them ACC? No wonder after their roster full of BE players graduated we seen they're decline...at least until now? I give props to Va's Gov for pushing a brotha(VT) in though over carpetbagger Cuse !! Funny,VT did the most for the ACC's image of the "invaders", but appear to now be in a decline(which may help UVa) though it has'nt showed dramatically in there record yet?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lord, follow the thread and you'll know why and not even make such a future post. Upstater and I got into a harmless smack session. Anyways.

I followed the thread...and the why in my post relates to "why do we have to suffer these two idiots having their pointless, off topic and fully irrelevant tantrum in this forum where we are all subject to it".

Reaction Score

If Ohio State is as bad as you claim, then FSU fans should not want to face Ohio State in the national championship game. An FSU win over Ohio State will not be seen, by SEC fans and pundits, as a legitimate win to be crowned a national champion. As an Ohio State guy and college football fan, I would love to see Ohio State play both FSU and the SEC champion. Regrettably that is not the system in place. Given the SEC dominance in the national championship game and the clamor already underway to get a one loss SEC champion in the national championship game, the argument can be made that FSU is better off facing the SEC champion or Ohio State is better off facing the SEC champion rather than FSU and Ohio State facing each other to decide who is the national champion.

Reaction Score
Speaking of ACC football, one Syracuse fan is not happy with Notre Dame right now ...
"Notre Dame Begins Trying to Weasel It's Way out of ACC Schedule" ... http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/1...-trying-to-weasel-its-way-out-of-acc-schedule
The post and comments are interesting reading.
Ha Ha...too bad I couldnt read the comments for some reason with your link ? everytime I clicked onto the comments I came up with a blank page? But thanks for sharing. I've never seen a more delusional fanbase than Cuse's !! Almost never happy with anything FB related. I got banned from their fan site for being honestly right about a recruit they swore was gonna go there against all indications! No real truthful interaction there.

Reaction Score
Speaking of ACC football, one Syracuse fan is not happy with Notre Dame right now ...
"Notre Dame Begins Trying to Weasel It's Way out of ACC Schedule" ... http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/1...-trying-to-weasel-its-way-out-of-acc-schedule

The Big E’s second biggest mistake was accepting ND as a ‘partial’ member (not accepting Penn St. at all was the biggest). While the ACC may have beaten the Big E into dust, they did not learn from the Big E’s mistake. Should have made ND join as a full member or nothing.

Reaction Score

What's happening is that Arizona State is threatening to sue Notre Dame to keep the scheduled Notre Dame game in 2014 in Tempe, AZ. Notre Dame wanted to get out of that game completely. Notre Dame is looking for options to move games from 2014 to 2015 in order to fulfill that contract with Arizona State. One option they are looking at is playing 4 ACC games in 2014 and 6 ACC games in 2015, then after that go back to the 5 that they have contracted with the ACC. Personally, I think it's fine if they just stay at 6 games from 2015 and beyond.

Reaction Score
If Ohio State is as bad as you claim, then FSU fans should not want to face Ohio State in the national championship game. An FSU win over Ohio State will not be seen, by SEC fans and pundits, as a legitimate win to be crowned a national champion. As an Ohio State guy and college football fan, I would love to see Ohio State play both FSU and the SEC champion. Regrettably that is not the system in place. Given the SEC dominance in the national championship game and the clamor already underway to get a one loss SEC champion in the national championship game, the argument can be made that FSU is better off facing the SEC champion or Ohio State is better off facing the SEC champion rather than FSU and Ohio State facing each other to decide who is the national champion.

If FSU faces Ohio State in the Championship Game and beats them to win the Championship, that is precisely what SEC fans and pundits will say. I agree that the playoff system will eliminate a lot of this, especially if it ever got to 8 participants.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is ND as conference partner in a nutshell-
Brian Kelly: "The ACC schedule bites a lot of that up, and then there's still some long-term commitments going back to Knute Rockne that tie our hands." Translation: we're Notre Dame. You're not. Screw you.

Reaction Score
Ha Ha...too bad I couldnt read the comments for some reason with your link ? everytime I clicked onto the comments I came up with a blank page? But thanks for sharing. I've never seen a more delusional fanbase than Cuse's !! Almost never happy with anything FB related. I got banned from their fan site for being honestly right about a recruit they swore was gonna go there against all indications! No real truthful interaction there.

They are a funny group. The football fans think it is still the 1960's and their bball fans have convinced themselves that their single national championship is better than our 3 national championships

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What's happening is that Arizona State is threatening to sue Notre Dame to keep the scheduled Notre Dame game in 2014 in Tempe, AZ. Notre Dame wanted to get out of that game completely. Notre Dame is looking for options to move games from 2014 to 2015 in order to fulfill that contract with Arizona State. One option they are looking at is playing 4 ACC games in 2014 and 6 ACC games in 2015, then after that go back to the 5 that they have contracted with the ACC. Personally, I think it's fine if they just stay at 6 games from 2015 and beyond.

That's fine, until in 2014 ND realizes how many rivals they will have to upset in 2015 and ask for a few games to get pushed back to 2016. Then 2015 roles around, and lo-and-behold, more upset rivals. Then the phone call: "hey ACC, this ain't working for us, we'll just play 3 games a year, against BC, Pitt and Cuse in NYC. You understand right? Cool. See ya...oh wait, can you advance me our next TV contract distribution? Thanks guys, you're the best." Maybe they'll let UVA have a home game, at FedEx field, with a split gate, if you play your cards right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom