AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lol

Talking here and now pal.....who is the brick? We ended up in a sh!tty conference, yet we haven't dominated it. That is factual. Why you're unable or unwilling to acknowledge that, I have no idea. Our record is what it is, 25 years does nothing to change that. In fact, it's my argument!

God, I am a sucker. We are a bad team this year. No sh__. It is a down year, and it would be no matter the conference. Do you know that in the past 25 years, where we have had 4 Championships and 11 top-2 seeds, we have one stint where we went to the tournament more than 3x in a row. We have bad seasons, and this is one of them, and you are trying to argue that we belong in a conference with ECU, Tulane, etc. because of it.

Reaction Score
God, I am a sucker. We are a bad team this year. No sh__. It is a down year, and it would be no matter the conference. Do you know that in the past 25 years, where we have had 4 Championships and 11 top-2 seeds, we have one stint where we went to the tournament more than 3x in a row. We have bad seasons, and this is one of them, and you are trying to argue that we belong in a conference with ECU, Tulane, etc. because of it.
Wait, time out. How would we be a bad team if we were in a P5 conference? I mean, everyone knows it's the lousy conference that is the reason we haven't been able to recruit. Or have I misread the 1,000 posts on that topic?

Dude, I'm seriously F'ng with everyone....only saying that it's not like this conf is so bad and we are so great that we have mowed down all the competition. That is seriously factual. Of curse we don't belong in this conference, I just wish our record proved it out so someone would come save us!!

Reaction Score
Wait, time out. How would we be a bad team if we were in a P5 conference? I mean, everyone knows it's the lousy conference that is the reason we haven't been able to recruit. Or have I misread the 1,000 posts on that topic?

Dude, I'm seriously F'ng with everyone....only saying that it's not like this conf is so bad and we are so great that we have mowed down all the competition. That is seriously factual. Of curse we don't belong in this conference, I just wish our record proved it out so someone would come save us!!
Talk about Freudian slip....I said of "curse" instead of of "course". I nominate myself to be hanged

Reaction Score
let me start by saying I HATE the AAC....despise it. Frankly, would rather be in the A-10.

That said, does everyone realize we are 20-12 in this god-forsaken conference so far? That's a 62.5% winning percentage. Hardly dominating, certainly nothing close to what Gonzaga repeatedly does in its conference. We've yet to beat SMU.....SMU!! And that's with only one year of recruiting saddled with this conference. So as much as it pains me to say it, exactly how are we so head and shoulders above this conference? History only takes you so far. Until we're consistently beating everyone in the conference like red-headed step-children, I think it's hard to argue we don't belong here.

I certainly hope we find a way out soon, but let's keep this in perspective. Yes, we won it all last year....but this year we are looking NIT square in the face and are barely above .500 in an awful conference. Like it or not, sometimes you are the company you keep.
So....you just basically yada, yada, yadaed a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Congrats on one of your stupidest posts in a rich history of stupid posts.

Reaction Score
So....you just basically yada, yada, yadaed a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Congrats on one of your stupidest posts in a rich history of stupid posts.
Ooooh, thank you for setting me straight, oh master of the boneyard post. What should my penance be, all knowing one??

Reaction Score
B
By the way, in 20+ years, seriously don't think I've ever noticed one of your posts....so you've left quite an impression

Reaction Score
Wow. I love this thread!
For a minute I felt like I was back in the BE and we actually gave a S---- about the other teams in our conference.

Annnd it's gone.

Reaction Score

This is very fair, but not what you were arguing before. We are all on edge because our relegation to AAA has coincided with our depleted roster due to the ban. We could be entering a new golden age for the program if we were in a good conference but instead could realistically become irrelevant in the next ten years, due to our screwing over in realignment. Thankfully we got lucky with Brimah's 3 point play because I wouldn't want to imagine the present if we flamed out vs. SJU.

Reaction Score
This is very fair, but not what you were arguing before. We are all on edge because our relegation to AAA has coincided with our depleted roster due to the ban. We could be entering a new golden age for the program if we were in a good conference but instead could realistically become irrelevant in the next ten years, due to our screwing over in realignment. Thankfully we got lucky with Brimah's 3 point play because I wouldn't want to imagine the present if we flamed out vs. SJU.
was not trying to say we are the same as Houston. Just that we should be killing this conf, frustrated as hell that we're not, and worried that we might be stuck here. Fishy right, longer it goes on, more likely we drift down then they drift up. We need a savior.

Reaction Score

The problem when referring to those 11 top-2 seeds is this: in the 20 years from 1990-2009, we earned a top-2 seed 11 times (and 9 times in 13 years from 1994-2006). In the 6 years since, we have been a top-2 seed 0 times.

Now, in those 6 years, we also have 2 championships, but winning championships from low seeds is not a sustainable mode of success going forward.

Referring to the OP's rant, I understand the embarrassment of having been a middle-of-the-road team for 2 years running in a conference we should dominate. We're not exactly trumpeting to the college basketball landscape that we're comically out of place among these other schools. That said, any college basketball fan who has followed the sport for 10+ years understands the history and knows we don't belong. Unfortunately, there are also more than enough people (opposing fans, media) who relish the idea of us fading into oblivion.

Reaction Score
Kentucky lost a combined 12 conference games over the last two seasons (not including this year, obviously). Would anybody argue that they have not dominated (along with Florida, to a lesser degree) the SEC historically?

It should also be worth noting that SMU, Louisville, and Cincinnati have combined to hand us seven of our twelve conference losses. The latter two are storied programs, and the former is coached by a Hall of Famer and slowly gaining traction as a nationally relevant program. It isn't as if we're routinely losing to schools like Tulane and Central Florida, the ones that have beaten us tend to have been among the holdovers from the Big East or coached by a Hall of Famer. Houston, I cannot explain, but at least we beat them by like 50 in their return game last year in case anybody thought they belonged.

Reaction Score
Funny thread - 2 wars going on. One which was won as soon as Fishy threw UofM to the ground with a punch in the throat and one amongst 2 upon fans willing to duke it out until opening practice in October. :eek:

Reaction Score
The nationwide consensus on CR was that we were screwed worse than anyone in CBB. That said we have to recognize as painful as it is that Giffey, Bazz, Daniels, and Boat are former Big East recruits. No them, no title last year. Now we have to recruit and play our way to the top of this forsaken conference and stick it in everyone else's eye because that's the way our teams have always responded to adversity. KO gets the proper ammunition and he can coach it up. The original premise of this is that we belong here until we prove ourselves which is false because we never belonged here, but we can't be a middle of the pack team in this league even in a down year. KO and staff have to recruit, plain and simple. We don't need 5 more players, two more of the right ones on top of already committed can do it. I like Memphis because I used to live there, but they need to shut up and win something, in other words do something more than get blown out by UCLA in a national championship game 40 years ago.

Reaction Score
I think its 2 folds. 1 we obviously lost some really good talent from our championship run. Giffey and Daniels did a lot more to help with our chip run then a lot realize (Kromah too). We lack those players right now and role players that are left this year aren't as affective without those guys and obviously without Napier. Its just what happens to most teams not named Kentucky after winning or competing for a chip.
Secondly I truly believe the conference brings us down. In the old big east we were competing against high caliber teams, ranked teams all the time. So a quality win against a ranked team really gives your team a huge boost and more respect. However in the AAC we are constantly playing tough games against non ranked teams. Most teams just don't run the table, regardless of what conference you are in, so a few losses in the AAC hurts a lot more then they would in other conferences with more highly ranked teams. Obviously this team just isn't the best we've had. But I do think if you take this same exact team and put them in a better conference,they would be competing at a higher level more consistently and would be ncaa tournament bound.

If Duke were in the AAC and lost to temple and SMU (which I don't think is impossible), and lost some nail biters to other ranked team OOC you think they'd be ranked so high? Having the opportunity to redeem yourself against other good teams on the reg helps a lot. UConn doesn't have this opportunity in the AAC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Then why aren't we blowing all those directional teams away? Including last year, when we had a team capable of winning it all.
F--- you.

Your scandal-ridden, won-nothing, community college shouldn't even be allowed inside the border of our state.

Do you know why the Big East never answered the phone when Memphis came begging year after year after year?

Because you're everything that's ever been wrong with college athletics.

Go away.
I bet that felt great!

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Funny thread - 2 wars going on. One which was won as soon as Fishy threw UofM to the ground with a punch in the throat and one amongst 2 upon fans willing to duke it out until opening practice in October. :eek:

77c.jpg

I need more coffee to deal with these idiots...

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Congrats uconngb. You now agree with this fella.

Because 30 mediocre regular season games mean as much as the past 20 years...

Especially when in the middle
of those games... they you know... won a national championship.

Memphis did remove the ashtrays from some classrooms this year, so they are on the upswing. #americanrising

I wish they would put the ashtrays backs...smoking made class bearable.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Then why aren't we blowing all those directional teams away? Including last year, when we had a team capable of winning it all.
Part of the master plan! We lull the favorites into believing we are patsies and then steam roll them in the tournament.

Gives a few of the believers in this forum the opportunity to make decent change when Vegas says 100:1!

And it gives us historical creed to have a low seed win it all. Now we can say we won it in many ways in different conferences!

That's not arrogance that's history! Cuse and their fans would easily trade places with this history including last season's outcome with their printed t shirt and the ACC landing. Don't kid yourself. Our sour grapes are superior to theirs!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Talk about Freudian slip....I said of "curse" instead of of "course". I nominate myself to be hanged
That's my realm. You can't have it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't b#%@$ about sharing a conference with them.

I'm happy to be in a football conference that features UCF, Cincy, ECU, Houston, Navy, Memphis, etc.

I'm happy to be in a hoops conference that features UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

You've never even smelled anything as sweet as the BE
Any school that hires the Squid isnt worth their weight in cow crap - Kensucky has taken a HUGE step backwards within the integrity of their program the minute the Squid signed that dotted line.
Memphis has such a checkered history - way before the Squid.
Coming from where Memphis has been, I can fully understand why it's fans would really enjoy the AAC.
However, at UConn, where it sits easily as a top 10 program of all time, being in this conference is not where it's fan base deserves or where it wants to be.
I don't give a rats what the teams record is overall in the AAC. EVERY team guns for UConn and UConn sees every teams A game. I hardly think the fans of other teams salivate at the thought of playing Temple or Memphis vs playing UConn or Cinci.
Recruiting has been compromised for UConn and Cinci being in this conference - without a doubt. The other teams can brag to the recuits they get to play vs the 4 time NCAA champ or a storied Cinci - what does UConn have to sell with the conference? SMU and their flash in the pan success? Tulsa who may be seeing their best days in the rearview mirror? Memphis who hires a coach in order to entice his kids?
If you're happy to be in the AAC - more power to you. That doesn't mean those of us who have played in the big house and were extremely successful while doing so can be satisfied with the status quo.
So as the adage goes - until you have walked in our shoes...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom