A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 9 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
bandwagon or no bandwagon, this school is on the Highway to Hell with this conference.

So then just shut down the athletic department?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Now if just everyone would have your attitude we can just completely give up!

It's only worth supporting teams when they are good!

Most people don't brag about being front running bandwagoners - at least you embrace it.

Those people that go to games... what a bunch of morans!
My level of engagement as a fan is nobody's business but my own. Mau's is Mau's business, etc.

Your insecurities about this are nobody's fault but your own.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's your opinion of yourself. You flat out said you only want to support the team when they are good.

It's good to see someone here own that. Hopefully in spite of everyone who shares your opinion there will be a bandwagon to join again someday.
I said if we're 27-6 we would have drawn more attendance. I said the team would draw more attendance if the product wasn't poor quality basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My level of engagement as a fan is nobody's business but my own. Mau's is Mau's business, etc.

Your insecurities about this are nobody's fault but your own.

Nobody said it isn't.

We have a garbage fanbase.

That some people take personal offense to that seems to be about their insecurities - so I think you've got that backwards.

Reaction Score
The cheapest I saw on those sites yesterday morning was about 50 bucks.

Yes, if you woke up Saturday and decided to go. Which many (including myself) did - can't expect a last minute bargain when demand increases.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Nobody said it isn't.

We have a garbage fanbase.

That some people take personal offense to that seems to be about their insecurities - so I think you've got that backwards.
I'm a fan. You just called me garbage by association. Are you really surprised I might take offense?

You seem insecure that, in your perception, most fans don't prioritize their level of fanship as high as you do.

Everyone is free to put whatever level of importance they want on their fanship, and you judging them for it is arrogant and presumptious. Mind your own damn business.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a fan. You just called me garbage by association. Are you really surprised I might take offense?

You seem insecure that, in your perception, most fans don't prioritize their level of fanship as high as you do.

Everyone is free to put whatever level of importance they want on their fanship, and you judging them for it is arrogant and presumptious. Mind your own damn business.

Take offense if you feel the need to - it doesn't change the fact we have a garbage fanbase.

A spoiled, front-running bandwagon garbage fanbase.

Everyone is free to put whatever level of importance on their fanship - and guess what everyone is entitled to have whatever opinions they choose.

My opinion is that we have a garbage fanbase and all the evidence agrees with me.

Maybe leave the psychology to Flip - he does it a lot better than you.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Take offense if you feel the need to - it doesn't change the fact we have a garbage fanbase.

A spoiled, front-running bandwagon garbage fanbase.

Everyone is free to put whatever level of importance on their fanship - and guess what everyone is entitled to have whatever opinions they choose.

My opinion is that we have a garbage fanbase and all the evidence agrees with me.

Maybe leave the psychology to Flip - he does it a lot better than you.
You're a sad, sorry excuse for a human being.

There, we're even.

Oh wait... we're not even. I'm correct about my assessment.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thread of the week.

@whaler11 you should lead a witch hunt to prove who was really at all the football games and basketball games. Post up your ticket stubs and receipts. Who really donates, who doesn't. If they don't make the cut let's banish them from the BY. They're bandwagon fans. We have a half-hearted garbage fan base.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're a sad, sorry excuse for a human being.

There, we're even.

Oh wait... we're not even. I'm correct about my assessment.

Yes, when you don't like the opinion just attack the person who holds it. That's the sign of a quality person!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Yes, when you don't like the opinion just attack the person who holds it. That's the sign of a quality person!
Hey, I can defend myself. You attacked first. Just look at the sequence of posts in this thread. What were you saying about hypocrisy again?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this is so hard. Our fanbase isn't great. But on top of that, it is far worse than it pretends to be.

I'll own my part of that. For the first time in years - I didn't buy XL tickets - only Gampel. I looked at the schedule and decided it wasn't worth the money to buy season tickets when I can't go most of the time and they are nearly impossible to give away. I bought Gampel tickets (4) because my buddy can usually use them when I can't use my 2.

Other than Saturday - the only game I went to was Cuse at MSG (I work in the city). Most of my Gampel tickets were used, but not by me.

People have de-prioritized UCONN Basketball. Myself included. We are not a good fanbase. That's just a fact. I don't care what any person does individually, but I 100% agree with Whaler that you can't say you are good fan and then choose not to spend money and go to games. You aren't a good fan because you went to games 20 years ago. You aren't a good fan because you watch games on TV.

That's like saying a team is good but loses all of the time. That's why they keep score.

For a fanbase, attendance is the scoreboard. And we are losing.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this is so hard. Our fanbase isn't great. But on top of that, it is far worse than it pretends to be.

I'll own my part of that. For the first time in years - I didn't buy XL tickets - only Gampel. I looked at the schedule and decided it wasn't worth the money to buy season tickets when I can't go most of the time and they are nearly impossible to give away. I bought Gampel tickets (4) because my buddy can usually use them when I can't use my 2.

Other than Saturday - the only game I went to was Cuse at MSG (I work in the city). Most of my Gampel tickets were used, but not by me.

People have de-prioritized UCONN Basketball. Myself included. We are not a good fanbase. That's just a fact. I don't care what any person does individually, but I 100% agree with Whaler that you can't say you are good fan and then choose not to spend money and go to games. You aren't a good fan because you went to games 20 years ago. You aren't a good fan because you watch games on TV.

That's like saying a team is good but loses all of the time. That's why they keep score.

have bought season tickets for years and will continue to buy them, but that being said, the schedule had almost zero juice. The conference games are with absolutely snoozer programs. The OOC programs were lackluster.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hey, I can defend myself. You attacked first. Just look at the sequence of posts in this thread. What were you saying about hypocrisy again?

Heres the thing. Maybe I will have to read the thread closer, but other than mau and whaler getting after it a little with each other, I didnt see any personal attacks in the overall premise.

The premise is "the fan base sucks" that is not a specific individual call out. Some people are taking a broad statement of the fanbase as a whole personally. Why? Guilty conscience?

The personal fall outs come AFTER that.

It is a personal decision.

There are things we as fans can do that can help our school succeed in the areas we want them to succeed in. (recruiting, CR, and general support which KO and JC have stated many times has helped us win games).

Not everyone wants to be a fan like that. I get it.

Some (it seems many) prefer the Patriots fan mentality. "Hey we are on top, this is MY TEAM!"

Thats OK. Its their choice.

Its a legitimate discussion at its core, because it DOES affect the program and our future, whether someone wants to believe it or not.

Reaction Score
have bought season tickets for years and will continue to buy them, but that being said, the schedule had almost zero juice. The conference games are with absolutely snoozer programs. The OOC programs were lackluster.

Agreed. The odd thing is - that even with ticket transfer - I couldn't dump most of my XL tickets for free last year - even though they were center court in 204 maybe 10 rows up. People don't want to go to the games for free.

At least if my son decides to end up at UCONN I will be able to have my tickets used for the next 4 years and beyond!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I've attacked no one personally. I called the fanbase as a whole garbage.

It's telling that no one actually tries to refute that fact.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The odd thing is - that even with ticket transfer - I couldn't dump most of my XL tickets for free last year - even though they were center court in 204 maybe 10 rows up. People don't want to go to the games for free.

At least if my son decides to end up at UCONN I will be able to have my tickets used for the next 4 years and beyond!

In trying to get rid of random football and bb tickets when I can't make it, it's become very clear that the casual fan is not interested even at give-away or free price points.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Somewhat agree, but if that's your measure, every fanbase but Kentucky, Cuse (and this year's MSG attendance makes me wonder about theirs, too), LCC, and UNC is "garbage"

No other fanbase has experienced the dramatic drop in product that we have. A combination of undue NCAA punishment, losing a HOF coach, conference affiliation, etc. Under the circumstances, we're not that bad.

Reaction Score
In trying to get rid of random football and bb tickets when I can't make it, it's become very clear that the casual fan is not interested even at give-away or free price points.

But so many of the casual fans would say they are diehards. And I think that is what Whaler is really getting at.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, if you woke up Saturday and decided to go. Which many (including myself) did - can't expect a last minute bargain when demand increases.
I watched the game against Houston Saturday Morning. Me and a buddy decided that if we couldn't get a reasonable spot in an area not behind a basket for a reasonable price, we were going to a bar. At 12:00, the plan looked like it was firmly in "bar" end of the spectrum. Prices started to come down around 1:30 and we pulled the trigger around 2:30. Bought 2 tickets in the corner for $38+12 surcharges. EasySeat unexpectedly upgraded us to Section 202 row b. It wasn't $10 for the Tournament strip, but it was better than we expected...And the atmosphere was rockin'. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Somewhat agree, but if that's your measure, every fanbase but Kentucky, Cuse (and this year's MSG attendance makes me wonder about theirs, too), LCC, and UNC is "garbage"

No other fanbase has experienced the dramatic drop in product that we have. A combination of undue NCAA punishment, losing a HOF coach, conference affiliation, etc. Under the circumstances, we're not that bad.

But so many of our basketball fans want us to drop football or go Big East / Indy for football because "we are a basketball school"...and yet, nobody can be bothered. When things were great, and season tickets were basically impossible to come by, I didn't have them, because I hadn't yet donated enough money. So where are all of those people now? Surely, they all didn't just die.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
let me put in perspective for the crybabies here.

Lets take Syracuse, we like to make fun of Syracuse. We talk about how we are better and 4>1 and how their fans suck and all that.
Syracuse, and I will use a number taken from BEFORE ACC season started so nobody can use conference as an excuse.

through beginning of season to second week in January Syracuse AVERAGED 21,000 in attendance. Remember through January Syracuse has as bad a start to the season as us. Maybe WORSE.

Let that sink in while we are putting 7000 in XL. Less in Gampel.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
let me put in perspective for the crybabies here.

Lets take Syracuse, we like to make fun of Syracuse. We talk about how we are better and 4>1 and how their fans suck and all that.
Syracuse, and I will use a number taken from BEFORE ACC season started so nobody can use conference as an excuse.

through beginning of season to second week in January Syracuse AVERAGED 21,000 in attendance. Remember through January Syracuse has as bad a start to the season as us. Maybe WORSE.

Let that sink in while we are putting 7000 in XL. Less in Gampel.
It's easier to draw vs. Duke, UNC, and Notre Dame than ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But so many of the casual fans would say they are diehards. And I think that is what Whaler is really getting at.

Bingo. Good at showing up at parades and cloaking themselves in glory when it's available.

Otherwise - ghosts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom