A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 8 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

Reaction Score
Yes it's a lot to ask to notice any one of a half dozen threads that highlighted the prices.

Or you know look at any point yourself over the two weeks prior to the tournament.

I just checked my e-mail and had one thing sent by the XL Center only for single game tickets. Nothing else. I also never saw anything on social media. Is it really the fanbases responsibility to check 'the boneyard' to be filled in on important things like this? I don't normally browse the basketball board so I guess I'll take the blame but c'mon.

Reaction Score
Well one would wonder why you are putting effort into replying.

Typing while watching the afternoon games doesn't really constitute 'effort'.

Well seeing how created this thread for the sole purpose of getting into a weird baseless argument with everyone I'm surprised you're not thanking me for the effort....... that you're clearly not putting in?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just checked my e-mail and had one thing sent by the XL Center only for single game tickets. Nothing else. I also never saw anything on social media. Is it really the fanbases responsibility to check 'the boneyard' to be filled in on important things like this? I don't normally browse the basketball board so I guess I'll take the blame but c'mon.

I didn't ask for anyone's excuses so I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to provide them.

UConn hosted this tournament two years ago and the exact same dynamics existed where the league was underselling themselves on secondary sites.

It took the monumental effort of googling AAC tournament tickets to find the deals.

If that still makes their lack of publicity a legit excuse that's fine by me - I wasn't interested in hearing them anyway - I already know what they are because they are the same tired excuses we always hear.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
People aren't going to turn up for a 16-16 team playing against teams from states in the south. It's the insanity of this situation. We should have been playing Villanova at MSG.

Reaction Score
I'll put words in Whaler's mouth since it seems like there is a lot being lost in translation. He doesn't care if you attend games or not. But if you aren't going to any games, don't complain about missing out on recruits or about our situation in realignment.
Basketball means less than nothing for CR.

Reaction Score
I agree that it doesn't mean much. But we can't have it both ways. When we packed out MSG in '14, countless folks used this as demonstration of our P5 worthiness.

exactly - there are signals both ways, but the bottom line is if basketball mattered on any level, we wouldn't be in this messy diaper of a conference. Actions speak louder than words in this case.

Reaction Score
Yup, Finebaum did a show in Fall from A&M and interviewed AD and he said 85-90% of total revenues are from football.

It's all about that, unfortunately given UConn is bad at it.

Basketball means less than nothing for CR.

Reaction Score
I'll try to explain it to you @CTBasketball

Being a fan means enjoying something. When you don't enjoy that thing, you aren't a fan. That's not my definition.

I'm not talking about you, since you clearly care. But if you think it's a "garbage product" then that says something about your fanhood, it just does. It shows that you only derive enjoyment from that thing under particular conditions. The more liberal the terms of conditions, the bigger the fan. That's what separates being a player from being a fan, in a lot of ways - one has to go to practice, has to study film, has to go to all of the games. The other can pick and choose.

I can understand how this thread would be misconstrued as pontification, because I guess it is in a way. UConn basketball lives inside some people and for those people going to games isn't a desire so much as it is a need. It's not a d ick swinging contest to prove who's a better fan and it's not shaming. It's actually the opposite of shaming. It's an acknowledgement that we need you, that you matter, because this is something that matters to all of us. If you only wanna show when it's a "good product" then that's cool but it also means it matters less to you, which means, you know.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'll try to explain it to you @CTBasketball

Being a fan means enjoying something. When you don't enjoy that thing, you aren't a fan. That's not my definition.

I'm not talking about you, since you clearly care. But if you think it's a "garbage product" then that says something about your fanhood, it just does. It shows that you only derive enjoyment from that thing under particular conditions. The more liberal the terms of conditions, the bigger the fan. That's what separates being a player from being a fan, in a lot of ways - one has to go to practice, has to study film, has to go to all of the games. The other can pick and choose.

I can understand how this thread would be misconstrued as pontification, because I guess it is in a way. UConn basketball lives inside some people and for those people going to games isn't a desire so much as it is a need. It's not a d ick swinging contest to prove who's a better fan and it's not shaming. It's actually the opposite of shaming. It's an acknowledgement that we need you, that you matter, because this is something that matters to all of us. If you only wanna show when it's a "good product" then that's cool but it also means it matters less to you, which means, you know.
I love the highs being a UConn fan brings, but the lows lately have been so gut wrenching. I can take losses better than most - I'm actually grateful in games we've lost but played hard. Sometimes the better team does win in this game. But I get agitated when we keep making the same mistakes over and over - that's when the product is garbage. Lately we've been making the same mistakes. We're not learning, we're going thru the motions. I can't see how anyone can derive enjoyment watching Brimah flail his arms at a missed rebound. Things like that drive me nuts. Against good teams like Cincinnati we get exposed.

Reaction Score
It's a miracle we were in the game yesterday at all, and let me tell you, we took a bit of starch out of Cincy making SMU's job easier today. I believe that. Proud of the team and the fans in the building.

Reaction Score
I love the highs being a UConn fan brings, but the lows lately have been so gut wrenching. I can take losses better than most - I'm actually grateful in games we've lost but played hard. Sometimes the better team does win in this game. But I get agitated when we keep making the same mistakes over and over - that's when the product is garbage. Lately we've been making the same mistakes. We're not learning, we're going thru the motions. I can't see how anyone can derive enjoyment watching Brimah flail his arms at a missed rebound. Things like that drive me nuts. Against good teams like Cincinnati we get exposed.

I feel you. There's a breaking point for all of us, so I won't be a hypocrite about it. If we're 3-29 next year, I might not watch. I don't know, I can't know. There was a point during the USF game where I was half-hoping for them to lose because it was so bad. By the same rate, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking pride in continuing to watch and if you need to resort to guilt to get other fans to continue watching, that's fine too. I think it would be weird if Whaler was going up to people in the streets and lecturing them but on this board this doesn't feel misplaced to me.

Reaction Score
If UConn had 30 wins and was angling for a one seed than the XL center would having been a scalpers paradise to play ECU.
Basketball may mean squat to CR but winning basketball means everything to the state .
Its expected.
At 16-16 and in a play down game , I would suspect few would go to NY if we were in the current BE
Let's be honest the expectations are high here and anything less than success is viewed as disaster.
Last year's AAC tourney Champs and second round losers to possibly the second best team in the country was viewed by many on this board as a complete failure .
There are many programs that would be celebrating that year as legendary .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a miracle we were in the game yesterday at all, and let me tell you, we took a bit of starch out of Cincy making SMU's job easier today. I believe that. Proud of the team and the fans in the building.

SMU -1 today was the easiest money that could be made. Cinci went to war, lost an hour overnight after a 2:45 game. Tip today was 15 hours or so after they got to their hotel last night.

SMU had a relative cakewalk where UCF was content to toss up threes all game.

Reaction Score
No guilt needed Mau.
Anyone questioning your loyalty to the Huskies can come talk to me.
You were a staple at the Field House and HCC ,as I was, during some very lean years (1978-1979 was the exception).
Meriden was very well represented.

With me timing was everything too. Our crew of people had the top back corners (Meriden heaven - Mielcarz's, Kazcor's and their buddies etc etc ) section 328 if memory serves me correctly. Majority of these people were not UConn grads but huge UConn fans, many of whom were with us at the ECAC events prior, Field House, road trips to McDonough, PCC, Carrier Dome, UMass, Brendan Byrne (a lot) etc etc.. Anyway we bought our packages every year, requested to stay in the same exact seats and they boiled - until they started becoming the program it eventually it was. As soon as the bandwagoners came, mostly after 89-90 and mid 90's we were asked for more and more to continue sitting there until we didn't give, then were thrown to UU and ZZ in the middle. By the end of the 90's and early 2000's I was coaching my son and he was growing up so everything changed and I just stopped as I was missing too many games as it was. My brother would have kept them I am sure but he was in a car crash in Charlotte the day UConn beat Cal and Campinelli and had trouble with that walk up to ZZ. Many things happen with people, I am sure there are more stories than mine. I still try to get to games as much as I can but I am not the kind of guy who goes alone and sits there, not a dig on people that do, just not me. Hard to get the WesMass friends to go and I try to meet others when time allows everyone.

Miss those days when you would have 30-40 Meriden guys who couldn't wait to get together and watch these Huskies no matter the situation. Saw you and Pete all the time, Mr Hazard, Eddie Zajac, Mr Siebert and Hamrah, Kevin Curry (the other one lol) and so many more. Still love to go, wanted to go couldn't get anyone.

But I laugh at whaler calling me out, talking about golfing 12 hours (never golfed while they were on TV) without knowing me! LOL...again thanks T for the reply!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
With me timing was everything too. Our crew of people had the top back corners (Meriden heaven - Mielcarz's, Kazcor's and their buddies etc etc ) section 328 if memory serves me correctly. Majority of these people were not UConn grads but huge UConn fans, many of whom were with us at the ECAC events prior, Field House, road trips to McDonough, PCC, Carrier Dome, UMass, Brendan Byrne (a lot) etc etc.. Anyway we bought our packages every year, requested to stay in the same exact seats and they boiled - until they started becoming the program it eventually it was. As soon as the bandwagoners came, mostly after 89-90 and mid 90's we were asked for more and more to continue sitting there until we didn't give, then were thrown to UU and ZZ in the middle. By the end of the 90's and early 2000's I was coaching my son and he was growing up so everything changed and I just stopped as I was missing too many games as it was. My brother would have kept them I am sure but he was in a car crash in Charlotte the day UConn beat Cal and Campinelli and had trouble with that walk up to ZZ. Many things happen with people, I am sure there are more stories than mine. I still try to get to games as much as I can but I am not the kind of guy who goes alone and sits there, not a dig on people that do, just not me. Hard to get the WesMass friends to go and I try to meet others when time allows everyone.

Miss those days when you would have 30-40 Meriden guys who couldn't wait to get together and watch these Huskies no matter the situation. Saw you and Pete all the time, Mr Hazard, Eddie Zajac, Mr Siebert and Hamrah, Kevin Curry (the other one lol) and so many more. Still love to go, wanted to go couldn't get anyone.

But I laugh at whaler calling me out, talking about golfing 12 hours (never golfed while they were on TV) without knowing me! LOL...again thanks T for the reply!
So you're telling me you stopped going to UConn sporting events around the time of the 2005/06 conference realignment? When the school needed you the most? Some 'fan' you are.

How dare you pick coaching your son over sitting alone at the Rent on a rainy Saturday afternoon in November. And you post on here? Unbelievable!:rolleyes:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
On Sirius XM College Sports Radio this morning Taylor Zarzour absolutely ripped Hartford and the CT fanbase for not showing up to the finals. Said Hartford should be banished as a host for the conference tournament. "Embarrassing" was used multiple times. FWIW.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
On Sirius XM College Sports Radio this morning Taylor Zarzour absolutely ripped Hartford and the CT fanbase for not showing up to the finals. Said Hartford should be banished as a host for the conference tournament. "Embarrassing" was used multiple times. FWIW.
You really think, Mr. Zarzour, I will ever give a crap about any outsider's opinions of UConn's fanbase after UConn was repeatedly stabbed in the back with conference realignment? The rest of college basketball is now irrelevant here. UConn is all that matters in Connecticut. Kindly go sdmze yourself with a telephone pole.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How dopey are you?

You took the holier than thou stance that you can't go to basketball games because family time is so important.

I was mocking that position because you constantly brag about marathon golf days.

I called you out for being a condesending hypocrite.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you're telling me you stopped going to UConn sporting events around the time of the 2005/06 conference realignment? When the school needed you the most? Some 'fan' you are.

How dare you pick coaching your son over sitting alone at the Rent on a rainy Saturday afternoon in November. And you post on here? Unbelievable!:rolleyes:

Now if just everyone would have your attitude we can just completely give up!

It's only worth supporting teams when they are good!

Most people don't brag about being front running bandwagoners - at least you embrace it.

Those people that go to games... what a bunch of morans!

Reaction Score

How dopey are you?

You took the holier than thou stance that you can't go to basketball games because family time is so important.

I was mocking that position because you constantly brag about marathon golf days.

I called you out for being a condesending hypocrite.

LOL, you're a great fan and a wonderful person, I can tell. :rolleyes: I want to be you when I'm 18 again

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Now if just everyone would have your attitude we can just completely give up!

It's only worth supporting teams when they are good!

Most people don't brag about being front running bandwagoners - at least you embrace it.

Those people that go to games... what a bunch of morans!
I don't want to keep going at this. People spend their free time differently. You spend your free time differently than I do. We both like UConn.

You go to more games than I do. Great. I can still be a fan though. If that makes me a bandwagon fan, then whatever. You're entitled to your own opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't want to keep going at this. People spend their free time differently. You spend your free time differently than I do. We both like UConn.

You go to more games than I do. Great. I can still be a fan though. If that makes me a bandwagon fan, then whatever. You're entitled to your own opinion.

It's your opinion of yourself. You flat out said you only want to support the team when they are good.

It's good to see someone here own that. Hopefully in spite of everyone who shares your opinion there will be a bandwagon to join again someday.

Reaction Score
It's your opinion of yourself. You flat out said you only want to support the team when they are good.

It's good to see someone here own that. Hopefully in spite of everyone who shares your opinion there will be a bandwagon to join again someday.
bandwagon or no bandwagon, this school is on the Highway to Hell with this conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom