A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 12 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Yes if you donate 3 million dollars you are a much better fan than I am. This seems obvious.

Who cares why attendance matters?

Anyone who cares about the programs, their revenue streams and their ability to compete going forward.

We got it - you don't think it matters if people go. You are wrong - it matters - and no one is going to change your mind by answering your idiotic questions.
But, if Everyone went to the games, no one would watch on TV - and then we would lose the TV contract.... omg - it's a real catch-22.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm supremely curious what Syracuse's attendance will look like in the next two years, if they're going to be as bad as I think they will be.

:::Laughs maniacally:::

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm supremely curious what Syracuse's attendance will look like in the next two years, if they're going to be as bad as I think they will be.

:::Laughs maniacally:::

It dropped this year. It will drop again. and STILL be higher than ours.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone actually have any evidence that our fanbase doesn't suck? Or is it just having it pointed out so upsetting that it requires emotional responses.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It dropped this year. It will drop again. and STILL be higher than ours.
Wins and losses do filter out the less dedicated in every fanbase. But water is wet, the sky is blue, etc.

Syracuse's fanbase in basketball is larger than all but maybe 4 or 5 fanbases nationally, though, so again, you're comparing us to one of the biggest. Doesn't really make sense to do that from an argument standpoint.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wins and losses do filter out the less dedicated in every fanbase. But water is wet, the sky is blue, etc.

Syracuse's fanbase in basketball is larger than all but maybe 4 or 5 fanbases nationally, though, so again, you're comparing us to one of the biggest. Doesn't really make sense to do that from an argument standpoint.

whelp. We like to compare ourselves to them in every other avenue to beat our chests, I think its a fair take.

I agree with you. They have a better fan base.

Something tells me some people are going to have a hard time looking in the mirror and swallowing that statement though. But I give you big ups for being honest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
CMC usually had a headliner team in the mix.

No it didn't.

90 - Lafayette and Rhode Island
91 - Central and Furman
92 -Hartford and Towson

Lowest attendance was 15,500.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Does anyone actually have any evidence that our fanbase doesn't suck? Or is it just having it pointed out so upsetting that it requires emotional responses.
You want me to post objective evidence to refute your subjective opinion? My my, you really do have an ego problem, don't you?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
AAC needs to think different to separate themselves. We want conference play to count so for the conference to get that true feel we lack in attendance and enthusiasm you bring the tournament to campus.

We start the tournament on campus for top 5 teams.... #6-11 plays first game at the home court of the team that gets the bye and the winner plays that game there... closer travel most likely and fuller house due to be it being an advantage so the next game goes to the higher seed and the final is at a location to be determined.

People see the campuses of the conferences injecting money into their economy and gives playing advantage to higher seed. We are not going to be in NYC unless we leave this conference so might as well shake things up.. sorry Hartford not a draw for tournament teams to travel. I rather have it in Cincy some years (since I live in Ohio I am biased)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You want me to post objective evidence to refute your subjective opinion? My my, you really do have an ego problem, don't you?

I'm sorry Thursday, Friday and Saturday aren't objective enough for you?

Do you need me to pull the game by game attendance for you too? Is that objective enough?

Mr Wonderful says other people have ego problems. Anything else you'd like to project in this thread?

Reaction Score
No it didn't.

90 - Lafayette and Rhode Island
91 - Central and Furman
92 -Hartford and Towson

Lowest attendance was 15,500.
the tournament was on its last legs then - you need to go back to Perno days. Do YOU go back to Perno days? Did you put your time in?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
the tournament was on its last legs then - you need to go back to Perno days. Do YOU go back to Perno days? Did you put your time in?

The media guide doesn't have attendance for the Perno years.

I was 12 when they fired him so I remember his later teams and went when my father took me.

In 84 the CMC had Iona and New Hampshire.

85 had St Francis and Northeastern

83 had Arizona State. Jackpot!

We do have the best fanbase in one category! People who brag about going to games 30 years ago. Once we can figure out how to monetize that we are all set!

Reaction Score
The media guide doesn't have attendance for the Perno years.

I was 12 when they fired him so I remember his later teams and went when my father took me.

In 84 the CMC had Iona and New Hampshire.

85 had St Francis and Northeastern

83 had Arizona State. Jackpot!

We do have the best fanbase in one category! People who brag about going to games 30 years ago. Once we can figure out how to monetize that we are all set!
boy you are the chippy one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
boy you are the chippy one.

We used to draw 16k for Yale and Fairfield.

We now get 7k people for a conference tournament semi-final against a top 15 team.

This entire conversation is absurd:

We have a rotten fanbase - what other conclusion can anyone draw when they watch our games?

People have their excuses - why is it such a big deal to point out they are excuses?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Two seconds of looking at the media guide will prove that 20-30 years ago we drew double for the Mutual Classics, Fairfields and Yales what we draw today.
It's a little difficult to reasonably base fan support by comparing attendance from 20-30 years ago to today. The in-home viewing experience was nowhere near what it is now and access was severely limited by comparison. Also, the target audience is made up of different people with different socio-economic demographics.

To illustrate the former, I remember when I was a kid, going to a game was an event. We didn't have NESN when my family first got cable (Greater Media Cable didn't even offer it on basic cable until the early 90's IIRC.), so watching a Red Sox home game likely meant you were there. When watching a game, it was on a 19 inch tube (at best) on a UHF station and lacking vertical hold...and an away game.

Nowadays, access and quality of the in-home experience allows people the ability to prioritize any number of things over in-arena attendance. I don't think it makes them any less fanatical per se, but personally, if given the "choice" between an event my kids are involved in or going to the UConn game...Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather go to the game, but knowing I can DVR it, go social media silent, watch it later, and not risk being served papers during the after 12:00 media time out, you better believe I'm going to soccer practice.

Reaction Score
We used to draw 16k for Yale and Fairfield.

We now get 7k people for a conference tournament semi-final against a top 15 team.

This entire conversation is absurd:

We have a rotten fanbase - what other conclusion can anyone draw when they watch our games?

People have their excuses - why is it such a big deal to point out they are excuses?
we have a flailing program and a rotten schedule.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
we have a flailing program and a rotten schedule.

Correct. We've got a tremendous 'fanbase when the following conditions are met'

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Everyone else aside from a literal handful of schools is dropping. Will you shut up now?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a little difficult to reasonably base fan support by comparing attendance from 20-30 years ago to today. The in-home viewing experience was nowhere near what it is now and access was severely limited by comparison. Also, the target audience is made up of different people with different socio-economic demographics.

To illustrate the former, I remember when I was a kid, going to a game was an event. We didn't have NESN when my family first got cable (Greater Media Cable didn't even offer it on basic cable until the early 90's IIRC.), so watching a Red Sox home game likely meant you were there. When watching a game, it was on a 19 inch tube (at best) on a UHF station and lacking vertical hold...and an away game.

Nowadays, access and quality of the in-home experience allows people the ability to prioritize any number of things over in-arena attendance. I don't think it makes them any less fanatical per se, but personally, if given the "choice" between an event my kids are involved in or going to the UConn game...Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather go to the game, but knowing I can DVR it, go social media silent, watch it later, and not risk being served papers during the after 12:00 media time out, you better believe I'm going to soccer practice.

Yes UConn is the only program impacted by technology and youth soccer was invented in the last few years.

Reaction Score
Yes UConn is the only program impacted by technology and youth soccer was invented in the last few years.
are you one of those people that scream at the fans around you to STAND UP when you feel the moment is right and you're not seeing the enthusiasm you're expecting from real fans?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

This is actually a good point. According to the media guide, there were only 8 games broadcast on tv in any capacity before January in Calhoun's first 4 years total. If you wanted to see them, you pretty much had to buy tickets.

Times have sure changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom