A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 11 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My bad didn't read closely enough. But let me counter.

Syracuse using your data filled 59% of its arena for those games.

UConn, before 2017, filled 68% at the XL Center and 79% at Gampel. Do we have a more loyal fan base than Syracuse? We were able to fill more of our seats. I left out school population but you could probably add that in somehow. Schedule strength is comparable I would say. Uninteresting opponents.

Thats ridiculous.
The size of the arena doesnt mean people automatically fill the seats. They have to buy a ticket and GO TO THE DAMN GAME.

Before you want to talk about perrcentages you need to FILL the smaller building.

Reaction Score
Sorry but this isn't about ticket prices at all or inconvenient starting times. It's all about desire. If fans had the passion to attend they'd make the time and find the money. Frankly, here's my bet. If they announced free admission to all those who would simply agree to attend both games of the Friday nightcap, the stands would still have been "empty". The cold reality is there's a demonstrably diminished zeal for this MBB program. Until it 's rekindled, our venues will look like crap to the viewing public. Watching that Championship game was an embarrassment to the greater Hartford sports market--and the AAC's ability to entice fans to the venue.

Reaction Score
Sorry but this isn't about ticket prices at all or inconvenient starting times. It's all about desire. If fans had the passion to attend they'd make the time and find the money. Frankly, here's my bet. If they announced free admission to all those who would simply agree to attend both games of the Friday nightcap, the stands would still have been "empty". The cold reality is there's a demonstrably diminished zeal for this MBB program. Until it 's rekindled, our venues will look like crap to the viewing public. Watching that Championship game was an embarrassment to the greater Hartford sports market--and the AAC's ability to entice fans to the venue.
It's a mid-major tournament with finalists that aren't even from this region of the country. Of course no one cares to attend.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Thats ridiculous.
The size of the arena doesnt mean people automatically fill the seats. They have to buy a ticket and GO TO THE DAMN GAME.

Before you want to talk about perrcentages you need to FILL the smaller building.
It's actually not a rediculous comparison. I'm using stats to measure percentages. Do you not like using stats?

Can you compare the average ticket prices of those games, vs. UConn's? I'd be interested to see if it proves your point or not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's actually not a rediculous comparison. I'm using stats to measure percentages. Do you not like using stats?

Can you compare the average ticket prices of those games, vs. UConn's? I'd be interested to see if it proves your point or not.

It's the dumbest argument you've made yet.

By this logic Central has a better fanbase than Syracuse if they average 1,800 because the gym seats 3,000.

Good lord.

Reaction Score
It's a mid-major tournament with finalists that aren't even from this region of the country. Of course no one cares to attend.

We are not UConn fans, we are conference fans dammit!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Thats ridiculous.

Why Syracuse? Because they're our biggest rival?

You know they've been 1 or 2 in attendance in college basketball for about forty years now?

Choosing Syracuse as a basis for comparison here is exactly like comparing our recruiting to Kentucky's, and unequivocally declaring that it sucks.

Reaction Score
LOL I'll say it nicer next time to avoid hurting anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Hopefully you now are consistent and call out every time someone is critical of the coaches and players with mean words.

Shut up you little twit. No clue what you're huge mouth is babbling about any more.

August_West

Reaction Score
Why Syracuse? Because they're our biggest rival?

You know they've been 1 or 2 in attendance in college basketball for about forty years now?

Choosing Syracuse as a basis for comparison here is exactly like comparing our recruiting to Kentucky's, and unequivocally declaring that it sucks.

So their fan base is better than ours?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
So their fan base is better than ours?
Yup. Always has been.

But that's nothing I take any shame in stating.

I've got more than enough outside of the size of the fanbase to crow about with the Orange.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Shut up you little twit. No clue what you're huge mouth is babbling about any more.

Solid contribution - this might actually be an above average post for you.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
@CTBasketball thinks we should build a 35000 seat arena because it would make our attendance increase.

Now Ive heard it all.
You're insufferable. Jumping to conclusions all the time.

It's the dumbest argument you've made yet.

By this logic Central has a better fanbase than Syracuse if they average 1,800 because the gym seats 3,000.

Good lord.
Did you not see where I said compare student population size and ticket prices? Being able to compare ticket prices, percentage of arena filled, student and population size can be informative.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Did you not see where I said compare student population size and ticket prices? Being able to compare ticket prices, percentage of arena filled, student and population size can be informative.

How a about you just compare UConn today to UConn historically. That's what matters.

Reaction Score
Solid contribution - this might actually be an above average post for you.

You wouldn't know I promise I read your spew, it's not worthy. AW has the idea, he doesn't try to be condescending he just says it straight. Figure it out some day - you are ignored!

August_West

Reaction Score

You realize that UConn has over 10,000 more students than Syracuse, right?

Reaction Score
How a about you just compare UConn today to UConn historically. That's what matters.
historically our fans show up for games vs quality opponents - Perno days vs cream of the crop Big East at the HCC for instance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You wouldn't know I promise I read your spew, it's not worthy. AW has the idea, he doesn't try to be condescending he just says it straight. Figure it out some day - you are ignored!

Whatever will I do without your idiotic replies.

What a frigging baby. Sorry to make you cry and run off.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
No I'm not as old as you.

Didn't ask for you to answer to me - you felt the need to make excuses.

Next time you brag about 12 hours of drunken golf I guess we'll know where that ranks priority wise.

People that go to games are better than fans that watch on TV. Anyone who wants to debate that is fooling themselves.

Maybe we could sign Loyalty Oaths - That would prove our worth as fans........

Your discourse on what makes a better fan is a short sighted half step away from McCarthyism......

But rest assured, next game I go to I will a) ask your permission, b) genuflect upon seeing you in the stands, and c) pronounce you as the be all, end all when it comes to defining fandom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
historically our fans show up for games vs quality opponents - Perno days vs cream of the crop Big East at the HCC for instance.

Two seconds of looking at the media guide will prove that 20-30 years ago we drew double for the Mutual Classics, Fairfields and Yales what we draw today.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
let me put in perspective for the crybabies here.

Lets take Syracuse, we like to make fun of Syracuse. We talk about how we are better and 4>1 and how their fans suck and all that.
Syracuse, and I will use a number taken from BEFORE ACC season started so nobody can use conference as an excuse.

through beginning of season to second week in January Syracuse AVERAGED 21,000 in attendance. Remember through January Syracuse has as bad a start to the season as us. Maybe WORSE.

Let that sink in while we are putting 7000 in XL. Less in Gampel.

There is no way that number is remotely close to legit.

Their opener vs Colgate: 23844
North Florida a little later: 22372
Georgetown, their most bitter rival, OOC, on Pearl Washington tribute day: 25131

If you think those first 2 are within 10ish percent of Georgetown, i have a bridge to sell you.

Reaction Score
Two seconds of looking at the media guide will prove that 20-30 years ago we drew double for the Mutual Classics, Fairfields and Yales what we draw today.
CMC usually had a headliner team in the mix.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

What about everyone not named Kentucky, LCC, or UNC on the same metric? even cuse, if they weren't so obvious in cooking their books.

August_West

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom