3,808 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was a hot ticket til they (Hathaway?) upped the prices. It killed demand.

Reaction Score
To follow up on the upping of ticket prices. UConn for the last several years as soon as the ink was dry on season ticketholders checks UConn offere The Husky Value Package for $15 seats and various other discounts to anyone to get(read that people who don't donate for the most part).

Uconn has continued to offer discounted tickets when season ticketholders are paying full boat and that includes 2 exhibition games. I know they lately that they put different prices on each ticket but it averages out to $32 plus fees for each game.

Season ticketholders are really getting the short end of the stick and UConn is doing nothing for their dwindling season ticketholder base. Bobbleheads or t shirts do very little to show loyalty to the seasonticketholder.

Season ticket holders finally seem to have had enough when you take the AAC schedule and for the most part several cupcakes. IMO Better to cherry pick games and pay a little more for say Nova then get flogged by Uconn again.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To follow up on the upping of ticket prices. UConn for the last several years as soon as the ink was dry on season ticketholders checks UConn offere The Husky Value Package for $15 seats and various other discounts to anyone to get(read that people who don't donate for the most part).

Uconn has continued to offer discounted tickets when season ticketholders are paying full boat and that includes 2 exhibition games. I know they lately that they put different prices on each ticket but it averages out to $32 plus fees for each game.

Season ticketholders are really getting the short end of the stick and UConn is doing nothing for their dwindling season ticketholder base. Bobbleheads or t shirts do very little to show loyalty to the seasonticketholder.

Season ticket holders finally seem to have had enough when you take the AAC schedule and for the most part several cupcakes. IMO Better to cherry pick games and pay a little more for say Nova then get flogged by Uconn again.

I like the part where if you pay for multiple season tickets across multiple sports you get hit with a service charge each time. Way to drive that base.

(away)

Reaction Score
I like the part where if you pay for multiple season tickets across multiple sports you get hit with a service charge each time. Way to drive that base.

(away)
We buy 2 seats for both MBB and WBB for XL and Gampel. We get hit with $10 service fee on each set of tickets. $40 for nothing on top of service fees built into the tickets.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We buy 2 seats for both MBB and WBB for XL and Gampel. We get hit with $10 service fee on each set of tickets. $40 for nothing on top of service fees built into the tickets.

I swear, if you wanted to run a system where you were purposefully trying to alienate season ticket holders, it couldn't be as effective as what they're doing now.

I enjoyed the massive season ticket price hikes for hockey this year. Really adds a lot to the atmosphere to double the amount of empty seats. Well thought out plan.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah sorry. I was gassed by the time I hit home.

Anyway........

I will make some obvious points. Forgive them. But they will be supported by actual dialog.

KO was coaching. He was trying. He is ultimately (first obvious point) very different than Jim Calhoun. Nowhere was that highlighted more than during a first half curl cut
Larrier ran when Vital (I believe) didnt get him the ball . You know that famous tcf video from MSG where Boatright doesnt hit Lamb on a curl and above the din of 18000 people at MSG you can hear Calhoun scream "Hit him, mother$#%^er", Then immediately call timeout and run on the floor and grab boat by shirt? Yeah KO quick turn in frustration and said to his coaches and to no one who could hear him on the floor "you have to pass that" . I would like to see Vital yanked for 30 seconds and taught and sent back out there. KO can do it in his own manner. He doesnt need to be JC in delivery. He just needs to be a teacher in his own way.

The second time (I have to check myself better, sometimes I yell like Im yelling at the TV, but the difference is these guys actually hear me, and that is bad form in the midst of a game) is in the 2nd half when we got it to 5 and then Columbia put it back up to 10 instantly capped by us losing a guy in full court when no one was even a 1/2 court away from him.
I immediately screamed "Call a damn time out for once, you cant take them home with you" and got a glare back from the bench. (Not KO) . Because that is another instance where you should light into your team, but there was no real anger from the bench, just resigned frustration.

Also, KO IS calling plays. But the players arent running them a good portion of the time. He had to implore them repeatedly to "Stay with it" they would give up on sets 10 seconds into the shot clock. what the disconnect is there, Im not sure yet. Its why before the season started I was agreeing with posters who said we should be running a narrow rotation to start. These guys just dont seem to know what each other are doing, and the constant influx of different players never gets us into a comfort rhythm. Also, there is a feeling of "rote" out there. Where there are times players *try* and run plays as called, but then try to force the play through when nothing is there. There were many times either Adams or Vital or Anderson would try and hit a baseline cutter which obviously was a play option but they were terrible decisions in the game flow when Columbia had 2 guys collapsed on the baseline. It ended up always being a thread the needle type attempt and always ended up as a turnover. Where is the *feel* for the game High Division 1 players are supposed to have? If option A is shut, you go to option B, then C. Columbia certainly had it last night. I was very impressed with their patience and discipline. They had us on our heels for much of that game. If we tried to run them off the 3 point line they would counter with dribble drive pass to basket cutters, if we collapsed to stop that they were happily shooting 3's. Thats fundamental basketball, and it gets in our heads defensively, because the more you bear down sometimes to try and get a stop the more you are apt to overplay and get beat on cuts. Our offense in regards to awareness in reading what an opponent is trying to take away and what that leaves as options is severely lacking. And that is compounded by the fact that oh man, when we do make right reads and get shots we want, we cant fricking shoot! I never expected this to be a great shooting team. But I DO NOT believe we will be THIS bad over the course of a season.

Jalen Adams is an enigma. Im a big believer in him, but there is something there that has yet to click that I cant put my finger on. I want him to be Alpha lead guard. Ive been begging for it. Well with Alterique out we got that last night and it wasnt pretty for the most part (although he stepped it up at winning time, thank god) . The kid is the craftiest player in the lane in the history of UConn. He gets to the rim in ways we have never seen before. Right now (and I pray it is a funk or slump) he front rims EVERYTHING from every distance. For multiple games. But he doesnt always make good decisions. He seems a bit aloof at times, but just could be his demeanor. Bazz did too. Also, like Bazz he gets frustrated (or shows it) very easily. He tried to lead the offense; he was making passes and initiating. But nobody else knows what to do after that.

We are only going to go as far this year as Jalen leads us . Whether he is capable of leading to that degree is an unknown. Right now (as evidenced by the way we close games whether behind by 50 to arkansas, or fighting columbia for a ball game) he is a leader only by being the guy who insists on taking the majority of the shots down the stretch. He may win (and lose ) us a bunch of games that way. But thats not all it takes to lead. He needs to be a coach on the floor and he isnt that at this point.

His defense even before messing up the ankle (so Ill forgive the blow bys after that) but he does not stay engaged defensively enough for my liking. We really missed Gilbert on that front.

KO was positive the whole night. But unlike other times listening to his message you could really sense an air of frustration in the delivery. He reserved his most effusive positivity for Diarra. (rightfully so last night, the kid was an absolute spark and savior just as important as Vitals's triples).

Being down Gilbert hurt a lot, Cobb a little, and Larrier and Jalen banged up not good either, but we scrapped a victory after not playing well to start. Ill take it every day.

Its hard to say. I didnt leave the game feeling despondent about our future. But I didnt leave it feeling like we can right this ship in as short a time as wed all like to see either. My opinion of this team and the way KO is handling it is still out. And I think everyone was a bit shell shocked after Arkansas Sunday, including the team obviously.
I saw some troubling things, I saw a couple encouraging things. Battered in front of an empty house with multiple players out, they found a way. Again a way they wouldnt have found last year. No matter what happens, they (KO, and especially the players) have my full support this season.

I think Saturday will be a big test, on whether we can build on that or not. To quote my favorite wordsmith Carmine Lupertazzi Jr. : You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads

Remember this (and Im going to screw myself here with bad mojo here) If we take Saturday and we are 6-2 heading to MSG against cuse. Did anyone REALLY have loftier expectations than that purely from a record standpoint? The most blue colored glasses have you at 7-1. AT BEST. You dont get style points. You are what your record says you are. On selection Sunday that loss to Arkansas could be 1 point or 40. Its a loss. It matters not. The win against Columbia could be a blowout instead of OT. It matters not. Its a win.

I get the hand wringing over performance issues, I really do. But it is taken to a sometimes sad, sometimes humorous (in that Im laughing AT you) extreme here.

By the way, just read Jacobs. Hes spot on. Couldnt have said it better myself.

@temery got rid of the Cesspool on this direct site. Im thinking he did so so that he could rename the mens board "The Cesspool". it would be so fitting.

LOL @superjohn quitting on the season 1/2 way through the 7th game in the season. Most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. Any of his ilk arent UConn fans. Not really. They are like bandwagon Pats fans. Sometimes you go through pain with your favorite teams. It makes the joyful moments that much more joyful. Sorry that your life is so wrapped up in what a team does on a court that you cant even support them when they need it most. Its OK to be critical, its ok to question. But if we make a splash this season, I have a list of names here all saved up, and Im going to make your lives frickin' miserable. As miserable as a certain section of you have made this board this week. And thats not an empty threat, ask @ ;-)

KO pointing SJ to the door.

f1jw9gc.jpg

Terrific post, sir, especially regarding fans checking out on the rest of a season, or any season. A few of us here actually endured the Burr Carlson Era. The rest of you have no idea what pain and suffering really is. ;)

Reaction Score

How long have they been charging different prices? I only noticed this year when I saw Nova and WSU tickets were $50.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’ve been pointing this out for years and have been told those discounts are a good idea.

They did in the end what any first year college student should understand. They conditioned the fanbase to not buy season tickets.

The black friday sale for Wichita is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
Don't let facts get in the way of a couple entitled douches pushing their narrative.

Let me guess, this is directed at someone I have blocked - whaler? I can't be wrong on this one, well I guess maybe I can but doubt it.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

Anyway........

I will make some obvious points. Forgive them. But they will be supported by actual dialog.

KO was coaching. He was trying. He is ultimately (first obvious point) very different than Jim Calhoun. Nowhere was that highlighted more than during a first half curl cut
Larrier ran when Vital (I believe) didnt get him the ball . You know that famous tcf video from MSG where Boatright doesnt hit Lamb on a curl and above the din of 18000 people at MSG you can hear Calhoun scream "Hit him, mother$#%^er", Then immediately call timeout and run on the floor and grab boat by shirt? Yeah KO quick turn in frustration and said to his coaches and to no one who could hear him on the floor "you have to pass that" . I would like to see Vital yanked for 30 seconds and taught and sent back out there. KO can do it in his own manner. He doesnt need to be JC in delivery. He just needs to be a teacher in his own way.

The second time (I have to check myself better, sometimes I yell like Im yelling at the TV, but the difference is these guys actually hear me, and that is bad form in the midst of a game) is in the 2nd half when we got it to 5 and then Columbia put it back up to 10 instantly capped by us losing a guy in full court when no one was even a 1/2 court away from him.
I immediately screamed "Call a damn time out for once, you cant take them home with you" and got a glare back from the bench. (Not KO) . Because that is another instance where you should light into your team, but there was no real anger from the bench, just resigned frustration.

Also, KO IS calling plays. But the players arent running them a good portion of the time. He had to implore them repeatedly to "Stay with it" they would give up on sets 10 seconds into the shot clock. what the disconnect is there, Im not sure yet. Its why before the season started I was agreeing with posters who said we should be running a narrow rotation to start. These guys just dont seem to know what each other are doing, and the constant influx of different players never gets us into a comfort rhythm. Also, there is a feeling of "rote" out there. Where there are times players *try* and run plays as called, but then try to force the play through when nothing is there. There were many times either Adams or Vital or Anderson would try and hit a baseline cutter which obviously was a play option but they were terrible decisions in the game flow when Columbia had 2 guys collapsed on the baseline. It ended up always being a thread the needle type attempt and always ended up as a turnover. Where is the *feel* for the game High Division 1 players are supposed to have? If option A is shut, you go to option B, then C. Columbia certainly had it last night. I was very impressed with their patience and discipline. They had us on our heels for much of that game. If we tried to run them off the 3 point line they would counter with dribble drive pass to basket cutters, if we collapsed to stop that they were happily shooting 3's. Thats fundamental basketball, and it gets in our heads defensively, because the more you bear down sometimes to try and get a stop the more you are apt to overplay and get beat on cuts. Our offense in regards to awareness in reading what an opponent is trying to take away and what that leaves as options is severely lacking. And that is compounded by the fact that oh man, when we do make right reads and get shots we want, we cant fricking shoot! I never expected this to be a great shooting team. But I DO NOT believe we will be THIS bad over the course of a season.

Jalen Adams is an enigma. Im a big believer in him, but there is something there that has yet to click that I cant put my finger on. I want him to be Alpha lead guard. Ive been begging for it. Well with Alterique out we got that last night and it wasnt pretty for the most part (although he stepped it up at winning time, thank god) . The kid is the craftiest player in the lane in the history of UConn. He gets to the rim in ways we have never seen before. Right now (and I pray it is a funk or slump) he front rims EVERYTHING from every distance. For multiple games. But he doesnt always make good decisions. He seems a bit aloof at times, but just could be his demeanor. Bazz did too. Also, like Bazz he gets frustrated (or shows it) very easily. He tried to lead the offense; he was making passes and initiating. But nobody else knows what to do after that.

We are only going to go as far this year as Jalen leads us . Whether he is capable of leading to that degree is an unknown. Right now (as evidenced by the way we close games whether behind by 50 to arkansas, or fighting columbia for a ball game) he is a leader only by being the guy who insists on taking the majority of the shots down the stretch. He may win (and lose ) us a bunch of games that way. But thats not all it takes to lead. He needs to be a coach on the floor and he isnt that at this point.

His defense even before messing up the ankle (so Ill forgive the blow bys after that) but he does not stay engaged defensively enough for my liking. We really missed Gilbert on that front.

KO was positive the whole night. But unlike other times listening to his message you could really sense an air of frustration in the delivery. He reserved his most effusive positivity for Diarra. (rightfully so last night, the kid was an absolute spark and savior just as important as Vitals's triples).

Being down Gilbert hurt a lot, Cobb a little, and Larrier and Jalen banged up not good either, but we scrapped a victory after not playing well to start. Ill take it every day.

Its hard to say. I didnt leave the game feeling despondent about our future. But I didnt leave it feeling like we can right this ship in as short a time as wed all like to see either. My opinion of this team and the way KO is handling it is still out. And I think everyone was a bit shell shocked after Arkansas Sunday, including the team obviously.
I saw some troubling things, I saw a couple encouraging things. Battered in front of an empty house with multiple players out, they found a way. Again a way they wouldnt have found last year. No matter what happens, they (KO, and especially the players) have my full support this season.

I think Saturday will be a big test, on whether we can build on that or not. To quote my favorite wordsmith Carmine Lupertazzi Jr. : You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads

Remember this (and Im going to screw myself here with bad mojo here) If we take Saturday and we are 6-2 heading to MSG against cuse. Did anyone REALLY have loftier expectations than that purely from a record standpoint? The most blue colored glasses have you at 7-1. AT BEST. You dont get style points. You are what your record says you are. On selection Sunday that loss to Arkansas could be 1 point or 40. Its a loss. It matters not. The win against Columbia could be a blowout instead of OT. It matters not. Its a win.

I get the hand wringing over performance issues, I really do. But it is taken to a sometimes sad, sometimes humorous (in that Im laughing AT you) extreme here.

@temery got rid of the Cesspool on this direct site. Im thinking he did so so that he could rename the mens board "The Cesspool". it would be so fitting.

LOL @superjohn quitting on the season 1/2 way through the 7th game in the season. Most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. Any of his ilk arent UConn fans. Not really. They are like bandwagon Pats fans. Sometimes you go through pain with your favorite teams. It makes the joyful moments that much more joyful. Sorry that your life is so wrapped up in what a team does on a court that you cant even support them when they need it most. Its OK to be critical, its ok to question. But if we make a splash this season, I have a list of names here all saved up, and Im going to make your lives frickin' miserable. As miserable as a certain section of you have made this board this week. And thats not an empty threat, ask @ ;-)

f1jw9gc.jpg
Great Post thanks

Reaction Score
I swear, if you wanted to run a system where you were purposefully trying to alienate season ticket holders, it couldn't be as effective as what they're doing now.

I enjoyed the massive season ticket price hikes for hockey this year. Really adds a lot to the atmosphere to double the amount of empty seats. Well thought out plan.

OT: I agree. It's crazy and they keep raising non-ST prices too. I think it was $32 to see Vermont the other day if you bought on-line. Box office is even more.

UConn Hockey just beat a #11 ranked conference opponent that they have never beaten(0-8) and they won 4-1 and had the least attended game since joining hockey east (2,855)

So, it's across the board it seems.

3,808 is rough. Hockey's home opener and highest attended game so far this season was a pathetic 3,674.

I'll be at the XL for MBB on sat.
Missing MSG since I'm going to see hockey play UMass @ home.

Another complaint. Stop scheduling different sports teams at the same time. (I know TV, but try harder)

Luckily this week the hockey game will be on NESN if people want to DVR it. 7pm tues.

Sorry to hijack. Fan of both sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me guess, this is directed at someone I have blocked - whaler? I can't be wrong on this one, well I guess maybe I can but doubt it.

Biggest superfan fraud on the board. Ooh I have so and so blocked. Such a tool.

Reaction Score

(away)
They've definitely developed a knack for making me feel like a chump for buying season tickets.

Reaction Score
If everyone who now claims they were a big Whaler fan actually was - they never would have moved.

Try telling that to everyone in the Hartford Failers Booster Cult. :p

Reaction Score
In terms of season tickets, why don't they offer cheaper seats for the upper sections behind the backboard like they do for single games? Maybe I would have bought those instead of my current seats. I don' see how that would hurt the fan base as you could get more people in the door and potentially sell more season tickets. Another thing I don't get is the pricing at xl. I love going to gsmes, bit would have a hard time sitting in any of the double letter rows. I have done it in thr past when there were small tvs in thr ceiling that were on a 7 second tape delay. Probaby among the worst seats in all of sports. My point is those shouldn't cost the same as lowered level tickets.

Reaction Score
1.5 hr to gampel is not the same as 25 min from campus to Hartford. Give me a break and I make the trips to every home game. I've missed less than 10 over the past 10 years

Gampel nowhere near as easy. I have to be up at 5am and sometimes don't get home till midnight when games on campus

Not even close to true. It's 30 minutes from Storrs to the XL Center. And you're going against traffic basically the entire way. That trip is a breeze.

LOL the only thing you guys are saying here is that Hartford is more convenient for you. Have to wonder how you guys ever manage to go to Sox or Pats (or Giants/Yanks) games if simply driving an hour to Storrs is too tough for you. Might as well have them all play in Hartford too so it's easier for you to get to.

I was referring to him in the post but was talking to someone else, can't remember who.

Reaction Score

Anyway........

f1jw9gc.jpg
Thanks August. I don't usually read the looonnnggg posts but yours was excellent.

Reaction Score
LOL the only thing you guys are saying here is that Hartford is more convenient for you. Have to wonder how you guys ever manage to go to Sox or Pats (or Giants/Yanks) games if simply driving an hour to Storrs is too tough for you. Might as well have them all play in Hartford too so it's easier for you to get to.

I was referring to him in the post but was talking to someone else, can't remember who.
I also have Sox season tickets on top of BB and Football. That drive sucks. But don't compare UConn to a major league team.

Reaction Score
I also have Sox season tickets on top of BB and Football. That drive sucks. But don't compare UConn to a major league team.

Yea he likes to generalize when we aren't the issue. I drive all over new England for work with most of the work in the northern nj to lower Fairfield county area and I buy mini season tickets for my baseball team that plays 5 hours away.

He's talking to to the wrong person about driving lol. But he sure likes to back up the students who can't drive or take bus 25 min to Hartford

Reaction Score
Can't believe this thread is going on. Start a new one... 5500... for tomorrow....

People like to stay home and watch in HD on their couch. This team isn't very good or exciting. I am hoping they will be, but after that terrible Arkansas loss, you can't blame people for staying home for a weeknight powerhouse Columbia team...

Reaction Score
Can't believe this thread is going on. Start a new one... 5500... for tomorrow....

People like to stay home and watch in HD on their couch. This team isn't very good or exciting. I am hoping they will be, but after that terrible Arkansas loss, you can't blame people for staying home for a weeknight powerhouse Columbia team...

#hottake:

I think the attendance will be ~ok~ Saturday.

It's a Saturday, at a convenient time and against a school people have heard of for pulling off upsets

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom