3,808 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What's funny is I remember him saying that if you are going to leave before the end of the game, why bother going at all.

Jim Calhoun isnt your garden variety hoops fan. You surely cant expect him to act like one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Top notch Auggie.

KO was coaching. He was trying. He is ultimately (first obvious point) very different than Jim Calhoun...Yeah KO quick turn in frustration and said to his coaches and to no one who could hear him on the floor "you have to pass that" .

Is that what these guys need though? They don't seem to be responding. At least so far. Unwavering positivity, without (seemingly) much accountability.

Jalen Adam's post game quotes about 'needing to just run the plays' tells me they aren't listening or bought in. Is that a lack of respect?

You dont get style points. You are what your record says you are. On selection Sunday that loss to Arkansas could be 1 point or 40. Its a loss. It matters not. The win against Columbia could be a blowout instead of OT. It matters not. Its a win.

Yes and no. In the NFL, where the phrase was popularized, this might be true. But if the talent level of opponents is so striking, this doesn't hold. If you play five poor low major teams, and just squeak by them all, you are 5-0. If you play 5 quality high majors, and soundly you beat them, you are 5-0. But those two 5-0 teams don't reflect the same thing. If they are then to face each other, you'd expect the latter 5-0 team to crush the former.

LOL @superjohn quitting on the season 1/2 way through the 7th game in the season. Most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. Any of his ilk arent UConn fans. Not really. They are like bandwagon Pats fans. Sometimes you go through pain with your favorite teams. It makes the joyful moments that much more joyful.

You just had to, didn't you. How do you know they are true bandwagon when they haven't actually been bad in 15+ years?? ;)

But if we make a splash this season, I have a list of names here all saved up, and Im going to make your lives frickin' miserable. As miserable as a certain section of you have made this board this week. And thats not an empty threat, ask

Your relentlessness is hilarious.

Reaction Score
3,808 is the gate - but how many tickets were sold? Has to be a lot more than that.

I almost never make any pre-conference games. I try to give them away, but many times there are no takers, even if for free.

August_West

Reaction Score
Is that what these guys need though? They don't seem to be responding. At least so far. Unwavering positivity, without (seemingly) much accountability.

Jalen Adam's post game quotes about 'needing to just run the plays' tells me they aren't listening or bought in. Is that a lack of respect?

Definitely on KO. He needs to find a way to reach these kids (cue ctmikes "How do I reach these keeeds" SouthPark meme) . Could be a lack of respect. Lack of fear. lack of whatever it takes to know who the boss is. But I dont think KO actually needs to reach all of them in that manner. He needs to come to some kind of understanding and willingness to buy in with Jalen and Larrier. And those two need to be KO's mouthpiece on the floor and in the Locker room. Jalen is saying the right thing there. But when he abandons sets (especially late) for the Jalen Adams hero time show, is he gaining the respect of his teammates? Kemba and Bazz found a way to unequivocally be "the guy" and also have teammates respect them. Jalen needs to get to that. I dont like how much he and Larrier jaw at each other. Those two need to be a unified front representing KO's ideals to the youngsters on the team. So yeah, buck stops with KO, but your upperclassmen studs MUST play a part too. Some of that is on KO and some of that is on the 2 kids themselves.
Yes and no. In the NFL, where the phrase was popularized, this might be true. But if the talent level of opponents is so striking, this doesn't hold. If you play five poor low major teams, and just squeak by them all, you are 5-0. If you play 5 quality high majors, and soundly you beat them, you are 5-0. But those two 5-0 teams don't reflect the same thing. If they are then to face each other, you'd expect the latter 5-0 team to crush the former.

Not from a performance standpoint. but 5-0 is 5-0.

Reaction Score
Not a single thing you said here confirms it's any easier for a student to get into Hartford than it is for anyone else to get to the campus. I love about 20-25 minutes from Hartford and over an hour from campus and would still rather make that extra drive every single time, and those Gampel games generally come across as a better look for the program. The Gampel games are genuinely a better experience, and the games generally begin and end at a time where you're not ruined even if you go during the week.

I have season tickets to both Hartford and storrs. Have for many years. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to campus for me and 35-40 min to Hartford. Obviously gampel is that better venue but that's not the way things are and being a state university it's about making money. Everyone hates on Hartford but when it's packed with a rowdy crowd that place is awesome

The students nowadays are pansies. They have plenty of options to get to Hartford and don't then complain non stop. Put up or shut up cause their section is more of an embarrassment at Hartford than the non student sections at gampel

Reaction Score
I think the only reason he leaves is because he struggles to walk. First game at Gampel this year he was walking through our section and almost fell. Sad to see him like that.

Reaction Score
I have season tickets to both Hartford and storrs. Have for many years. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to campus for me and 35-40 min to Hartford. Obviously gampel is that better venue but that's not the way things are and being a state university it's about making money. Everyone hates on Hartford but when it's packed with a rowdy crowd that place is awesome

The students nowadays are pansies. They have plenty of options to get to Hartford and don't then complain non stop. Put up or shut up cause their section is more of an embarrassment at Hartford than the non student sections at gampel
Same thing for us. We are coming from Madison. Its tough going to weeknight games at gampel but we make it work.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Yes. That’s my pic above.
I’ll be there Saturday at XL and Tuesday at MSG too. Because, you know, I’m a UConn basketball fan.

I will be at both those games too. Can't wait for MSG! I'll be reppin' my Huskies till the death! Through the hard times and the bad times! If we are not there for them they have no reason to play.

August_West

Reaction Score
I will be at both those games too. Can't wait for MSG! I'll be reppin' my Huskies till the death! Through the hard times and the bad times! If we are not there for them they have no reason to play.

Ahhh yeah brahz.... Post/handle!!

giphy.gif

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Pisses me off when people complain about student attendance.

I am a student, and the student section was packed. We came in at 7 exactly and had to sit nearly at the top row. And it's like that pretty much every Gampel game. The Colgate game, they started denying people entry into the student section because it was overfilled. They had to send students to the general sections, where no one was. So stop with this myth that students dont show up. Look at the student section each game.

How about we talk about the general fans. Barely a soul in the upper sections.

Not saying the students that do attend games are not awesome, you guys were loud as hell. But the number of students at the games pale in comparison to my freshman year 2003-2004. Every single game was packed to the brim... ON BOTH ENDS OF THE COURT! I have fond memories of downing a few shots with my friends, taking that long tipsy walk from Towers, and once we were in Gampel man did it get lit in there! You couldn't hear the person next to you. I'm surprised the benches and chairs didn't break from all the ruckus. Good times... I want to see that again in Gampel.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Times change. There's more competition for entertainment time and money. It doesn't make students/fans better or worse. Its different. Put the same options in 2004 and you can't say for sure the same wouldn't happen (I'm class of 2006 btw).

Reaction Score

Everything you said also applies to non students not going to Gampel and then whining about it. That's basically what this thread has become. I don't even necessarily dislike the split site format, just don't tell me that Gampel isn't the better and more lively venue, or that working folk can't just as easily make the trip to Gampel on a weeknight.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It was Columbia on a week night. Gampel isn't the shortest drive for most fans and it's much easier and cheaper to watch on a nice HD TV at home while eating dinner. It was Columbia... Not Cinci, not a big east team... Columbia. Lets move on.

Bad games used to sell out

Reaction Score
Everything you said also applies to non students not going to Gampel and then whining about it. That's basically what this thread has become. I don't even necessarily dislike the split site format, just don't tell me that Gampel isn't the better and more lively venue, or that working folk can't just as easily make the trip to Gampel on a weeknight.

1.5 hr to gampel is not the same as 25 min from campus to Hartford. Give me a break and I make the trips to every home game. I've missed less than 10 over the past 10 years

Gampel nowhere near as easy. I have to be up at 5am and sometimes don't get home till midnight when games on campus

Reaction Score
or that working folk can't just as easily make the trip to Gampel on a weeknight.
Not even close to true. It's 30 minutes from Storrs to the XL Center. And you're going against traffic basically the entire way. That trip is a breeze.

Reaction Score
I’m long over the Whalers.

If everyone who now claims they were a big Whaler fan actually was - they never would have moved.

I’m not arguing that the XL center is good, although it’s not as bad as it’s made out to be. I’m arguing that playing there has been an overall positive for the program.

This is going to solve itself because the state is done with the building and UConn will able to walk away soon.
I'm little young to recall but I thought the Whalers had the fan support but lacked the financial support from the city

Reaction Score
I think the only reason he leaves is because he struggles to walk. First game at Gampel this year he was walking through our section and almost fell. Sad to see him like that.
Perhaps he is also performing in a very gentlemanly way and not letting reporters get to him and his opinions after a game. As we all know, his voice carries uber-weight.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
these kids are not recuited by KO.
IMG_5950.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Times change. There's more competition for entertainment time and money. It doesn't make students/fans better or worse. Its different. Put the same options in 2004 and you can't say for sure the same wouldn't happen (I'm class of 2006 btw).
Plus every game televised and HDTV has take a toll.

Still nothing beats being at the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom