3,808 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Reaction Score
I also have Sox season tickets on top of BB and Football. That drive sucks. But don't compare UConn to a major league team.

Why can't he compare UConn basketball to a major league team?

Reaction Score
Why can't he compare UConn basketball to a major league team?
Because major league teams in this area offer a lot more then UConn. For some of our big games they charge $50+ fees a ticket. You can go to Fenway park for the same amount except Sox-Yankees games.

Reaction Score
Because major league teams in this area offer a lot more then UConn. For some of our big games they charge $50+ fees a ticket. You can go to Fenway park for the same amount except Sox-Yankees games.

Gotcha.

I thought this was going to be a "because pro sports mean more" thing.

Carry on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Where are all the alums in their late 20's and 30's? The team was winning titles when they attended. I thought today's students are the fans of the future. If so, why aren't yesterday's students today's fans? The excuse I heard here was that they didn't want to buy nosebleeds. That's not the case now. And no, they didn't all move out of state.

Reaction Score
Where are all the alums in their late 20's and 30's? The team was winning titles when they attended. I thought today's students are the fans of the future. If so, why aren't yesterday's students today's fans? The excuse I heard here was that they didn't want to buy nosebleeds. That's not the case now. And no, they didn't all move out of state.

Do you really think anyone is going to have an answer to this that'll make you go "uh, I guess you're right."

The only real answer to any of these questions is to win.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Can't believe this thread is going on. Start a new one... 5500... for tomorrow....

People like to stay home and watch in HD on their couch. This team isn't very good or exciting. I am hoping they will be, but after that terrible Arkansas loss, you can't blame people for staying home for a weeknight powerhouse Columbia team...

Oh c'mon, this thread is a great opportunity for people to wave their fandompenises. "Look! Mines bigger."

Reaction Score
I also have Sox season tickets on top of BB and Football. That drive sucks. But don't compare UConn to a major league team.

You're entirely missing the point of why fans go to games of any sport. Also, tell that to Kentucky basketball or Alabama football fans.

Reaction Score
You're entirely missing the point of why fans go to games of any sport. Also, tell that to Kentucky basketball or Alabama football fans.
So UConn is now Alabama and Kentucky? Those are awful examples. How many pro sports team do those areas have?
Living in CT you can go to:
Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Patriots, Giants, Jets.

Reaction Score
So UConn is now Alabama and Kentucky? Those are awful examples. How many pro sports team do those areas have?
Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Patriots, Giants, Jets.

I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about.

I think we all agree that there is a lot of competition for the sports dollar here in CT (and elsewhere).

I'm sure if we played at the level of Bama or UK we would not have any trouble selling tickets.

Reaction Score

And yet you were whining about how bad the travel is. Which is it? Hell, not sure how you can argue that in the first place when we have a thread full of people who struggle to get to Gampel for a game.

See, I can be a snarky and intentionally misinterpret what you say and then only selectively respond to certain specific parts of a post for the purposes of arguing too. Grow up.

Reaction Score
And yet you were whining about how bad the travel is. Which is it? Hell, not sure how you can argue that in the first place when we have a thread full of people who struggle to get to Gampel for a game.

See, I can be a snarky and intentionally misinterpret what you say and then only selectively respond to certain specific parts of a post for the purposes of arguing too. Grow up.
What I'm trying to say is the biggest problem UConn has and it showed even in the final years of the Big East is people don't want to spend top dollar for UConn basketball vs. cupcakes/decent teams. They are only willing to spend top dollar on certain games. They need to not charge $30+ a ticket for Columbia when I can go to see pro teams for a little bit more.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about.

I think we all agree that there is a lot of competition for the sports dollar here in CT (and elsewhere).

I'm sure if we played at the level of Bama or UK we would not have any trouble selling tickets.

Apparently not given how many people have been complaining in here about going to Storrs for a game...

Think you're both missing the point here. Traveling to an on campus game isn't that hard, certainly not compared to the cost and overall headache of going to Boston/NYC for a game. Quit complaining.

Reaction Score
What I'm trying to say is the biggest problem UConn has and it showed even in the final years of the Big East is people don't want to spend top dollar for UConn basketball vs. cupcakes/decent teams. They are only willing to spend top dollar on certain games. They need to not charge $30+ a ticket for Columbia when I can go to see pro teams for a little bit more.

"Little bit more" is a pretty big understatement, that's not even considering the added travel/parking cost. Parking for a game at Fenway costs more than most UConn tix.

Reaction Score
"Little bit more" is a pretty big understatement, that's not even considering the added travel/parking cost. Parking for a game at Fenway costs more than most UConn tix.
No its not actually. Believe it or not my UConn Basketball season tickets and Red Sox season tickets have the same average ticket cost of around $32 per game.

Reaction Score
Crystal clear Espn doesnt care if UConn succeeds or fails and feels no obligation to help the Flagship University to which its private company is based. We are their show pony, we need to have good attendance and watch all their uconn content just to stay relevant. CT politicians gravel at the toes of big business in this state with massive tax breaks. Beyond a "stern" letter requesting help from our Governer et al who know they have zero leverage.. theres nothing that can be done on this front.

The only remedy, winning.

ESPN isn’t a private company.

Reaction Score
Looking at what’s in StubHub tmrw looks much improved over the last couple attendence wise.

I saw the same, even the dreaded double letter rows have seats sold. There has to be at least 7,000 tickets sold for tbe game. Actual attendance might be a different story

Reaction Score
"Barely any stay in state"? Care to share your source?

You know what I see when I turn on the TV to watch college sports?

On campus stadiums, with full student sections ringing the court or from the 30 yard line to the end zone.

That is what people tune into see.

That is why it's a billion dollar business.

People do not tune into watch games in a half empty, quiet arena in Hartford.

People tune into games to watch students? Hmm..news to me.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
ESPN isn’t a private company.

It’s a publicly held company that is part of the “private sector.”

What is the 'Private Sector'
The private sector encompasses all for-profit businesses that are not owned or operated by the government. Companies and corporations that are government run are part of what is known as the public sector, while charities and other nonprofit organizations are part of the voluntary sector.

Read more: Private Sector Private Sector

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It’s a publicly held company that is part of the “private sector.”

What is the 'Private Sector'
The private sector encompasses all for-profit businesses that are not owned or operated by the government. Companies and corporations that are government run are part of what is known as the public sector, while charities and other nonprofit organizations are part of the voluntary sector.

Read more: Private Sector Private Sector
LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom