3,808 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
People aren't driving up from FF County. I've tried for years, can't get a soul to do it. So you really are looking at a market more like 2MM.

Almost 2 hours for me. Tough to do on a week night. I guess I'm not a Supa Fan. :(

Reaction Score
Where do you think all the ex players, visiting recruits/parents, people associated with the athletic department were last night?

I'm just telling you whose seats they are. I've sat in them multiple times. They aren't always used up and they keep them open in case someone wants to attend last minute

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm just telling you whose seats they are. I've sat in them multiple times. They aren't always used up and they keep them open in case someone wants to attend last minute

Since you know someone as you have sat there multiple times - can you find out if there is interest in donating those unused tickets to local Park and Recreation Departments/Boys and Girls Clubs, as opposed to just leaving them empty because no ex players, recruits/parents or athletic department personnel attend, last minute of weeks in advance?

I assumed they were big donor tickets.

I can PM you my contact info if you believe this is something you can assist with.

Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was Columbia on a week night. Gampel isn't the shortest drive for most fans and it's much easier and cheaper to watch on a nice HD TV at home while eating dinner. It was Columbia... Not Cinci, not a big east team... Columbia. Lets move on.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It was Columbia on a week night. Gampel isn't the shortest drive for most fans and it's much easier and cheaper to watch on a nice HD TV at home while eating dinner. It was Columbia... Not Cinci, not a big east team... Columbia. Lets move on.
Hard to move on from an all time low.

Reaction Score
Hard to move on from an all time low.

Nobody was getting excited about a Wed night game against Columbia out in Storrs after two miserable losses. Don't schedule cup cake games (or should be cup cakes) if you want people in the seats.

Reaction Score
@Bonehead

Sorry but I don't think they will do it for those prime seats. Some people decide the day of like if psa or another prep school who they are forging relationships with want to come down with few players or family members of people in the department or in coaching staff. Or if Herbst realizes she has an opening and just shows up. I don't have contacts in the athletic department just friends with a few ex players and the son of a player in huskies of honor

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nice answer, much appreciated.

Not sure what words I wrote that conveyed the impression you've got of me. Even when I wax about better things I could do with my time, I follow this team 12 months a year. The games can be painful and some posters insufferable, but I forged a bond going to the Field House with my dad in the early 60's and that's not changing, even as things can seem perilous since the breakdown of OBE,especially since last season.

For context, I maxed out at 42 trips to Fenway one summer, but pretty much gave up on baseball before 2004, except now to watch beautiful defense & pitching in the post-season.

I semi-cherish my set of Super Bowl XXI high ball glasses and savor all 4 Giants titles, but really like how my Sundays have been free for mild weather family activities until after the first playoff weekend whenever the Giants suck.

NBA season doesn't really start until it's down to 8 teams, and then it competes with mild weather & lengthening days, but I perked up when the Garnett-Pierce-Ray Celtics reawakened everything going back to Red Auerbach's victory cigars.

Before parenting took precedent, I worked for a company that gave me tickets to the legendary 80's Islanders Tuesday night games, and have seen Islanders, Rangers & Devil's Stanley Cup games, but have never really cared about hockey except a bit of Espo & Orr years growing up.

My parents met at Pitt, so Tony Dorsett & Dan Marino captured my peak interest, and I always knew from father and uncle that UConn would need football longterm. With me living in New York, my dad died in '97, so he never got to see any NCs & I never picked up on UConn football. Now I can walk to the Yale Bowl, but I've only gone in twice

I stopped filling out brackets when I shifted to a simple yes-no focus around whether UConn would win each year or not, and last year was my first ever experience with sitting out March Madness the first two weekends and just watching YouTube highlights at the end of the day. I caved for one semi and the finals. I watch UConn Women's Basketball about a half dozen times a year now, used to be more.

So that's a portrait of a sports fan's *shifted* interest.

More than anything, I want to see well-placed UConn Men's Basketball. I also want what I get on The Boneyard when well-placed basketball (or genuine hopefulness) is on the menu.

What I mostly get from your thoughtful reply is the notion that love's opposite isn't hatred, but indifference. Again, thanks.

You were the one who said you didn’t think it was worth your time to follow a team that wasn’t good enough.

Personally I don’t like when long time fans lose interest - we need everyone we can get.

The answer to your question is who cares:

Some people deal with frustration by swearing off the team every 3rd night like superjohn. BigErn swore off watching the game in the first half and then posted while watching the second half.

Shizzle got funny last night. Some people like me get sarcastic.

Some people just disappear.

Some people like to spend time on message board psychology. It’s not really my bag.

It’s probably going to get worse before it gets better. The drop football crowd is going to get loud and they have some legitimate arguments.

If Ollie doesn’t get the ship turned around there is no escape from his contract. It’s going to be a never ending parade of nights like last night.

The football fans have experience with this - the basketball only crowd is in for a treat.

Reaction Score
Nice answer, much appreciated.

Not sure what words I wrote that conveyed the impression you've got of me. Even when I wax about better things I could do with my time, I follow this team 12 months a year. The games can be painful and some posters insufferable, but I forged a bond going to the Field House with my dad in the early 60's and that's not changing, even as things can seem perilous since the breakdown of OBE,especially since last season.

For context, I maxed out at 42 trips to Fenway one summer, but pretty much gave up on baseball before 2004, except now to watch beautiful defense & pitching in the post-season.

I semi-cherish my set of Super Bowl XXI high ball glasses and savor all 4 Giants titles, but really like how my Sundays have been free for mild weather family activities until after the first playoff weekend whenever the Giants suck.

NBA season doesn't really start until it's down to 8 teams, and then it competes with mild weather & lengthening days, but I perked up when the Garnett-Pierce-Ray Celtics reawakened everything going back to Red Auerbach's victory cigars.

Before parenting took precedent, I worked for a company that gave me tickets to the legendary 80's Islanders Tuesday night games, and have seen Islanders, Rangers & Devil's Stanley Cup games, but have never really cared about hockey except a bit of Espo & Orr years growing up.

My parents met at Pitt, so Tony Dorsett & Dan Marino captured my peak interest, and I always knew from father and uncle that UConn would need football longterm. With me living in New York, my dad died in '97, so he never got to see any NCs & I never picked up on UConn football. Now I can walk to the Yale Bowl, but I've only gone in twice

I stopped filling out brackets when I shifted to a simple yes-no focus around whether UConn would win each year or not, and last year was my first ever experience with sitting out March Madness the first two weekends and just watching YouTube highlights at the end of the day. I caved for one semi and the finals. I watch UConn Women's Basketball about a half dozen times a year now, used to be more.

So that's a portrait of a sports fan's *shifted* interest.

More than anything, I want to see well-placed UConn Men's Basketball. I also want what I get on The Boneyard when well-placed basketball (or genuine hopefulness) is on the menu.

What I mostly get from your thoughtful reply is the notion that love's opposite isn't hatred, but indifference. Again, thanks.

It's interesting to see how this number kind of brought about an exitsential crisis in all of us

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So what were your observations, Mr. West?!? You left us hangin

Yeah sorry. I was gassed by the time I hit home.

Anyway.......................

I will make some obvious points. Forgive them. But they will be supported by actual dialog.

KO was coaching. He was trying. He is ultimately (first obvious point) very different than Jim Calhoun. Nowhere was that highlighted more than during a first half curl cut
Larrier ran when Vital (I believe) didnt get him the ball . You know that famous tcf video from MSG where Boatright doesnt hit Lamb on a curl and above the din of 18000 people at MSG you can hear Calhoun scream "Hit him, mother$#%^er", Then immediately call timeout and run on the floor and grab boat by shirt? Yeah KO quick turn in frustration and said to his coaches and to no one who could hear him on the floor "you have to pass that" . I would like to see Vital yanked for 30 seconds and taught and sent back out there. KO can do it in his own manner. He doesnt need to be JC in delivery. He just needs to be a teacher in his own way.

The second time (I have to check myself better, sometimes I yell like Im yelling at the TV, but the difference is these guys actually hear me, and that is bad form in the midst of a game) is in the 2nd half when we got it to 5 and then Columbia put it back up to 10 instantly capped by us losing a guy in full court when no one was even a 1/2 court away from him.
I immediately screamed "Call a damn time out for once, you cant take them home with you" and got a glare back from the bench. (Not KO) . Because that is another instance where you should light into your team, but there was no real anger from the bench, just resigned frustration.

Also, KO IS calling plays. But the players arent running them a good portion of the time. He had to implore them repeatedly to "Stay with it" they would give up on sets 10 seconds into the shot clock. what the disconnect is there, Im not sure yet. Its why before the season started I was agreeing with posters who said we should be running a narrow rotation to start. These guys just dont seem to know what each other are doing, and the constant influx of different players never gets us into a comfort rhythm. Also, there is a feeling of "rote" out there. Where there are times players *try* and run plays as called, but then try to force the play through when nothing is there. There were many times either Adams or Vital or Anderson would try and hit a baseline cutter which obviously was a play option but they were terrible decisions in the game flow when Columbia had 2 guys collapsed on the baseline. It ended up always being a thread the needle type attempt and always ended up as a turnover. Where is the *feel* for the game High Division 1 players are supposed to have? If option A is shut, you go to option B, then C. Columbia certainly had it last night. I was very impressed with their patience and discipline. They had us on our heels for much of that game. If we tried to run them off the 3 point line they would counter with dribble drive pass to basket cutters, if we collapsed to stop that they were happily shooting 3's. Thats fundamental basketball, and it gets in our heads defensively, because the more you bear down sometimes to try and get a stop the more you are apt to overplay and get beat on cuts. Our offense in regards to awareness in reading what an opponent is trying to take away and what that leaves as options is severely lacking. And that is compounded by the fact that oh man, when we do make right reads and get shots we want, we cant fricking shoot! I never expected this to be a great shooting team. But I DO NOT believe we will be THIS bad over the course of a season.

Jalen Adams is an enigma. Im a big believer in him, but there is something there that has yet to click that I cant put my finger on. I want him to be Alpha lead guard. Ive been begging for it. Well with Alterique out we got that last night and it wasnt pretty for the most part (although he stepped it up at winning time, thank god) . The kid is the craftiest player in the lane in the history of UConn. He gets to the rim in ways we have never seen before. Right now (and I pray it is a funk or slump) he front rims EVERYTHING from every distance. For multiple games. But he doesnt always make good decisions. He seems a bit aloof at times, but just could be his demeanor. Bazz did too. Also, like Bazz he gets frustrated (or shows it) very easily. He tried to lead the offense; he was making passes and initiating. But nobody else knows what to do after that.

We are only going to go as far this year as Jalen leads us . Whether he is capable of leading to that degree is an unknown. Right now (as evidenced by the way we close games whether behind by 50 to arkansas, or fighting columbia for a ball game) he is a leader only by being the guy who insists on taking the majority of the shots down the stretch. He may win (and lose ) us a bunch of games that way. But thats not all it takes to lead. He needs to be a coach on the floor and he isnt that at this point.

His defense even before messing up the ankle (so Ill forgive the blow bys after that) but he does not stay engaged defensively enough for my liking. We really missed Gilbert on that front.

KO was positive the whole night. But unlike other times listening to his message you could really sense an air of frustration in the delivery. He reserved his most effusive positivity for Diarra. (rightfully so last night, the kid was an absolute spark and savior just as important as Vitals's triples).

Being down Gilbert hurt a lot, Cobb a little, and Larrier and Jalen banged up not good either, but we scrapped a victory after not playing well to start. Ill take it every day.

Its hard to say. I didnt leave the game feeling despondent about our future. But I didnt leave it feeling like we can right this ship in as short a time as wed all like to see either. My opinion of this team and the way KO is handling it is still out. And I think everyone was a bit shell shocked after Arkansas Sunday, including the team obviously.
I saw some troubling things, I saw a couple encouraging things. Battered in front of an empty house with multiple players out, they found a way. Again a way they wouldnt have found last year. No matter what happens, they (KO, and especially the players) have my full support this season.

I think Saturday will be a big test, on whether we can build on that or not. To quote my favorite wordsmith Carmine Lupertazzi Jr. : You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads

Remember this (and Im going to screw myself here with bad mojo here) If we take Saturday and we are 6-2 heading to MSG against cuse. Did anyone REALLY have loftier expectations than that purely from a record standpoint? The most blue colored glasses have you at 7-1. AT BEST. You dont get style points. You are what your record says you are. On selection Sunday that loss to Arkansas could be 1 point or 40. Its a loss. It matters not. The win against Columbia could be a blowout instead of OT. It matters not. Its a win.

I get the hand wringing over performance issues, I really do. But it is taken to a sometimes sad, sometimes humorous (in that Im laughing AT you) extreme here.

By the way, just read Jacobs. Hes spot on. Couldnt have said it better myself.

@temery got rid of the Cesspool on this direct site. Im thinking he did so so that he could rename the mens board "The Cesspool". it would be so fitting.

LOL @superjohn quitting on the season 1/2 way through the 7th game in the season. Most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. Any of his ilk arent UConn fans. Not really. They are like bandwagon Pats fans. Sometimes you go through pain with your favorite teams. It makes the joyful moments that much more joyful. Sorry that your life is so wrapped up in what a team does on a court that you cant even support them when they need it most. Its OK to be critical, its ok to question. But if we make a splash this season, I have a list of names here all saved up, and Im going to make your lives frickin' miserable. As miserable as a certain section of you have made this board this week. And thats not an empty threat, ask @ ;-)

KO pointing SJ to the door.

f1jw9gc.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except they're not facts. Anyone can have a car. You can pay for farmers brown lot or play the system and get a waiver as an undergrad to get a car on campus. Or park it at friends off campus. Must be Millennials just expecting to get everything.

Also it's 25 min to Hartford from campus (I made the drive every game for 4 years). It comes down to being lazy or not knowing how to network or just not wanting to go.

Not a single thing you said here confirms it's any easier for a student to get into Hartford than it is for anyone else to get to the campus. I love about 20-25 minutes from Hartford and over an hour from campus and would still rather make that extra drive every single time, and those Gampel games generally come across as a better look for the program. The Gampel games are genuinely a better experience, and the games generally begin and end at a time where you're not ruined even if you go during the week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah sorry. I was gassed by the time I hit home.

Anyway........

I will make some obvious points. Forgive them. But they will be supported by actual dialog.

KO was coaching. He was trying. He is ultimately (first obvious point) very different than Jim Calhoun. Nowhere was that highlighted more than during a first half curl cut
Larrier ran when Vital (I believe) didnt get him the ball . You know that famous tcf video from MSG where Boatright doesnt hit Lamb on a curl and above the din of 18000 people at MSG you can hear Calhoun scream "Hit him, mother$#%^er", Then immediately call timeout and run on the floor and grab boat by shirt? Yeah KO quick turn in frustration and said to his coaches and to no one who could hear him on the floor "you have to pass that" . I would like to see Vital yanked for 30 seconds and taught and sent back out there. KO can do it in his own manner. He doesnt need to be JC in delivery. He just needs to be a teacher in his own way.

The second time (I have to check myself better, sometimes I yell like Im yelling at the TV, but the difference is these guys actually hear me, and that is bad form in the midst of a game) is in the 2nd half when we got it to 5 and then Columbia put it back up to 10 instantly capped by us losing a guy in full court when no one was even a 1/2 court away from him.
I immediately screamed "Call a damn time out for once, you cant take them home with you" and got a glare back from the bench. (Not KO) . Because that is another instance where you should light into your team, but there was no real anger from the bench, just resigned frustration.

Also, KO IS calling plays. But the players arent running them a good portion of the time. He had to implore them repeatedly to "Stay with it" they would give up on sets 10 seconds into the shot clock. what the disconnect is there, Im not sure yet. Its why before the season started I was agreeing with posters who said we should be running a narrow rotation to start. These guys just dont seem to know what each other are doing, and the constant influx of different players never gets us into a comfort rhythm. Also, there is a feeling of "rote" out there. Where there are times players *try* and run plays as called, but then try to force the play through when nothing is there. There were many times either Adams or Vital or Anderson would try and hit a baseline cutter which obviously was a play option but they were terrible decisions in the game flow when Columbia had 2 guys collapsed on the baseline. It ended up always being a thread the needle type attempt and always ended up as a turnover. Where is the *feel* for the game High Division 1 players are supposed to have? If option A is shut, you go to option B, then C. Columbia certainly had it last night. I was very impressed with their patience and discipline. They had us on our heels for much of that game. If we tried to run them off the 3 point line they would counter with dribble drive pass to basket cutters, if we collapsed to stop that they were happily shooting 3's. Thats fundamental basketball, and it gets in our heads defensively, because the more you bear down sometimes to try and get a stop the more you are apt to overplay and get beat on cuts. Our offense in regards to awareness in reading what an opponent is trying to take away and what that leaves as options is severely lacking. And that is compounded by the fact that oh man, when we do make right reads and get shots we want, we cant fricking shoot! I never expected this to be a great shooting team. But I DO NOT believe we will be THIS bad over the course of a season.

Jalen Adams is an enigma. Im a big believer in him, but there is something there that has yet to click that I cant put my finger on. I want him to be Alpha lead guard. Ive been begging for it. Well with Alterique out we got that last night and it wasnt pretty for the most part (although he stepped it up at winning time, thank god) . The kid is the craftiest player in the lane in the history of UConn. He gets to the rim in ways we have never seen before. Right now (and I pray it is a funk or slump) he front rims EVERYTHING from every distance. For multiple games. But he doesnt always make good decisions. He seems a bit aloof at times, but just could be his demeanor. Bazz did too. Also, like Bazz he gets frustrated (or shows it) very easily. He tried to lead the offense; he was making passes and initiating. But nobody else knows what to do after that.

We are only going to go as far this year as Jalen leads us . Whether he is capable of leading to that degree is an unknown. Right now (as evidenced by the way we close games whether behind by 50 to arkansas, or fighting columbia for a ball game) he is a leader only by being the guy who insists on taking the majority of the shots down the stretch. He may win (and lose ) us a bunch of games that way. But thats not all it takes to lead. He needs to be a coach on the floor and he isnt that at this point.

His defense even before messing up the ankle (so Ill forgive the blow bys after that) but he does not stay engaged defensively enough for my liking. We really missed Gilbert on that front.

KO was positive the whole night. But unlike other times listening to his message you could really sense an air of frustration in the delivery. He reserved his most effusive positivity for Diarra. (rightfully so last night, the kid was an absolute spark and savior just as important as Vitals's triples).

Being down Gilbert hurt a lot, Cobb a little, and Larrier and Jalen banged up not good either, but we scrapped a victory after not playing well to start. Ill take it every day.

Its hard to say. I didnt leave the game feeling despondent about our future. But I didnt leave it feeling like we can right this ship in as short a time as wed all like to see either. My opinion of this team and the way KO is handling it is still out. And I think everyone was a bit shell shocked after Arkansas Sunday, including the team obviously.
I saw some troubling things, I saw a couple encouraging things. Battered in front of an empty house with multiple players out, they found a way. Again a way they wouldnt have found last year. No matter what happens, they (KO, and especially the players) have my full support this season.

I think Saturday will be a big test, on whether we can build on that or not. To quote my favorite wordsmith Carmine Lupertazzi Jr. : You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads

Remember this (and Im going to screw myself here with bad mojo here) If we take Saturday and we are 6-2 heading to MSG against cuse. Did anyone REALLY have loftier expectations than that purely from a record standpoint? The most blue colored glasses have you at 7-1. AT BEST. You dont get style points. You are what your record says you are. On selection Sunday that loss to Arkansas could be 1 point or 40. Its a loss. It matters not. The win against Columbia could be a blowout instead of OT. It matters not. Its a win.

I get the hand wringing over performance issues, I really do. But it is taken to a sometimes sad, sometimes humorous (in that Im laughing AT you) extreme here.

By the way, just read Jacobs. Hes spot on. Couldnt have said it better myself.

@temery got rid of the Cesspool on this direct site. Im thinking he did so so that he could rename the mens board "The Cesspool". it would be so fitting.

LOL @superjohn quitting on the season 1/2 way through the 7th game in the season. Most pathetic thing Ive ever seen. Any of his ilk arent UConn fans. Not really. They are like bandwagon Pats fans. Sometimes you go through pain with your favorite teams. It makes the joyful moments that much more joyful. Sorry that your life is so wrapped up in what a team does on a court that you cant even support them when they need it most. Its OK to be critical, its ok to question. But if we make a splash this season, I have a list of names here all saved up, and Im going to make your lives frickin' miserable. As miserable as a certain section of you have made this board this week. And thats not an empty threat, ask @ ;-)

KO pointing SJ to the door.

f1jw9gc.jpg
Your best post of the year. Thanks, it was very interesting and insightful.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Ivy League opponent before finals on a Tuesday.. let's not panic here. And f((k the XL Center and Hartford.

Reaction Score
No. He’s a good fan.
So good fans leave the game about half way through the second half? Hmm. So, he is a great coach and a good fan and he left early. What does that tell you?

Reaction Score
Do you realize that without the support of the students, there won't be many non-students to support the program for the students down the road? Most "non-student" fans of schools are alumni.
Well I guess they are both necessary. But there is no program without financial support.

August_West

Reaction Score
So good fans leave the game about half way through the second half? Hmm. So, he is a great coach and a good fan and he left early. What does that tell you?

Do you go to many games?

Calhoun has done that for years

August_West

Reaction Score
Should be some kind of buy back say for student rate, or give them points for donating.

I had 4 students sitting right behind me last night . The donors left them for students if they couldn’t make the game. Happens a lot should happen more

Reaction Score
Do you go to many games?

Calhoun has done that for years
He has left every game early for years? Every year since he retired? I am genuinely curious because, no, I don't get to many games because I live about 6 hours from Storrs. What I know is that a member of the media made a point to mention him leaving last night. If it was an "every game" thing I would think he would have brushed it off as normal.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nobody was getting excited about a Wed night game against Columbia out in Storrs after two miserable losses. Don't schedule cup cake games (or should be cup cakes) if you want people in the seats.

Calhoun played way more cupcakes before conference than KO does. Why good attendance then?

August_West

Reaction Score
He has left every game early for years? Every year since he retired? I am genuinely curious because, no, I don't get to many games because I live about 6 hours from Storrs. What I know is that a member of the media made a point to mention him leaving last night. If it was an "every game" thing I would think he would have brushed it off as normal.

Yes he leaves before game end the majority of the time

Reaction Score
I can confirm he always leaves early.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

99% of the time he leaves early

Reaction Score
Yes he leaves before game end the majority of the time

What's funny is I remember him saying that if you are going to leave before the end of the game, why bother going at all.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom