2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or lie to him and then not do that. That's a path to losing Johnson, who is better than either of these guys. He needs to play. A lot.
We don't yet know Johnson is better. He started playing hoops at 16 years old, I believe, so lots of upside but still totally unproven.

Reaction Score

1. Nijel Pack
2. KJ Williams
3. Johni Broome
4. Norchad Omier
5. Mark Sears
6. Brandon Murray
7. Trevon Brazile
8. Tristen Newton
9. Terrence Shannon Jr.
10. Fardaws Aimaq
11. Andre Curbelo
12. Jahmir Young
13. Will Richard
14. Courtney Ramey
15. Tanner Holden
16. Jake Stephens
17. Noah Carter
18. Manny Bates
19. Kario Oquendo
20. Antonio Reeves
90. Rahsool Diggins
NR: Jalen Gaffney

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

1. Nijel Pack
2. KJ Williams
3. Johni Broome
4. Norchad Omier
5. Mark Sears
6. Brandon Murray
7. Trevon Brazile
8. Tristen Newton
9. Terrence Shannon Jr.
10. Fardaws Aimaq
11. Andre Curbelo
12. Jahmir Young
13. Will Richard
14. Courtney Ramey
15. Tanner Holden
16. Jake Stephens
17. Noah Carter
18. Manny Bates
19. Kario Oquendo
20. Antonio Reeves
90. Rahsool Diggins
Ouch

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

1. Nijel Pack
2. KJ Williams
3. Johni Broome
4. Norchad Omier
5. Mark Sears
6. Brandon Murray
7. Trevon Brazile
8. Tristen Newton
9. Terrence Shannon Jr.
10. Fardaws Aimaq
11. Andre Curbelo
12. Jahmir Young
13. Will Richard
14. Courtney Ramey
15. Tanner Holden
16. Jake Stephens
17. Noah Carter
18. Manny Bates
19. Kario Oquendo
20. Antonio Reeves
90. Rahsool Diggins
No idea what ESPN is using for its rankings. But for comparison purposes, Even Miyakawa has Gaffney at 112 and Sool at 241. And he's using maths.

Among only PGs, Gaffney is 39, Sool is 71.

EvanMiya.com's top 10 PGs are: Gaines, Pack, Curbelo, Miller, Toussaint, Pinson, Odom, Ramey, Hannibal, and Llewellyn.

Shannon is #1 overall, as a SG. Murray, Nolley, Richard, Friedel, the other SGs in top 20.

Reaction Score
No idea what ESPN is using for its rankings. But for comparison purposes, Even Miyakawa has Gaffney at 112 and Sool at 241. And he's using maths.

Among only PGs, Gaffney is 39, Sool is 71.

EvanMiya.com's top 10 PGs are: Gaines, Pack, Curbelo, Miller, Toussaint, Pinson, Odom, Ramey, Hannibal, and Llewellyn.

Shannon is #1 overall, as a SG. Murray, Nolley, Richard, Friedel, the other SGs in top 20.

Using maths is kinda silly though with infinitesimally small samples.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Using maths is kinda silly though with infinitesimally small samples.
In Sool's case, you can make a point. But plenty of these guys do have decent sample sizes. And I'll trust maths over talking heads who've probably never seen more than a game or a short highlight clip from most of the portal kids.

Reaction Score
No it wasn’t a mistake to play Whaley so much. Why? We had no options. I mean Samson looks like he can be ok but he wasn’t ready at all. Lost on defense, fouled on every breath just not ready at all. Looks like he may be good but marking him down for 20 minutes or more would be a mistake. Same with Akok. If there’s another answer out there take
We don't yet know Johnson is better. He started playing hoops at 16 years old, I believe, so lots of upside but still totally unproven.
He may not reach his potential until he is 23 or 24

Reaction Score
In Sool's case, you can make a point. But plenty of these guys do have decent sample sizes. And I'll trust maths over talking heads who've probably never seen more than a game or a short highlight clip from most of the portal kids.

Ya I was referring to Sool. I am far from anti-analytics. They just need to be taken in within the right context and are constantly evolving. 10 years ago people cared about PER.

Sool's sample size is too small. His body is also way too underdeveloped to guess how he ends up. I think he actually does end up quite good if and when his body develops.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ya I was referring to Sool. I am far from anti-analytics. They just need to be taken in within the right context and are constantly evolving. 10 years ago people cared about PER.

Sool's sample size is too small. His body is also way too underdeveloped to guess how he ends up. I think he actually does end up quite good if and when his body develops.
Sure. Small sample size. And players from cupcake schools blew through his defense like a chair would be an upgrade. Then Hurley had him practice all year and despite the need, didn’t play him. We can only speculate, but there is no chance Sool was playing great in practice.

Reaction Score
Sure. Small sample size. And players from cupcake schools blew through his defense like a chair would be an upgrade. Then Hurley had him practice all year and despite the need, didn’t play him. We can only speculate, but there is no chance Sool was playing great in practice.

Yes, for a player like Sool the eye test is more appropriate. And that GTown game was alarming. Not being able to beat out a version of Gaff Hurley has 0 trust in? Not good. I just think he could be good down the line when he no longer has the body of a 12 year old.

Reaction Score

1. Nijel Pack
2. KJ Williams
3. Johni Broome
4. Norchad Omier
5. Mark Sears
6. Brandon Murray
7. Trevon Brazile
8. Tristen Newton
9. Terrence Shannon Jr.
10. Fardaws Aimaq
11. Andre Curbelo
12. Jahmir Young
13. Will Richard
14. Courtney Ramey
15. Tanner Holden
16. Jake Stephens
17. Noah Carter
18. Manny Bates
19. Kario Oquendo
20. Antonio Reeves
90. Rahsool Diggins
Newton and then either Richard/Ramey would be a dream offseason

Reaction Score
Newton and then either Richard/Ramey would be a dream offseason
Prefer Ramey over Richard. We need at least 2 guys who can run the point if need be. Newton, Ramey/Young, and Richard as a luxury would be a perfect world, but I’m also fine with just taking 2 guys as long as it’s Newton and Ramey/Young (Ramey seems more realistic).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Andre should be a 1-3. AJ isn't big enough to be a 4. They'd get mauled. Last thing I want is Hurley to turn UConn into URI.
Jackson is 6'6" with long arms and big hops. Nova just got to the Final Four starting a 6'7" PF and 6'8" C. It will be match-up dependent (a time like this year's Purdue could give a smaller line-up trouble).

But for the most part I don't think Jackson is too small to play the 4 in modern day college basketball. Especially if the other guards on the roster are long... Hawkins is 6'5" and a lot of the portal guards and wings we are recruiting are 6'5" or bigger.

Don't think AJ will log 30MPG at the 4, but he could be serviceable there for 12 MPG.

A starting line-up of 4 guards / wings at 6'5" / 6'6" with 6'9" Sanogo at center has plenty of length to be a disruptive defensive team.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Prefer Ramey over Richard. We need at least 2 guys who can run the point if need be. Newton, Ramey/Young, and Richard as a luxury would be a perfect world, but I’m also fine with just taking 2 guys as long as it’s Newton and Ramey/Young (Ramey seems more realistic).
I'd love for us to get Newton + Richard and then a 1 year grad transfer true point to give back-up minutes of the bench.

There will be plenty of guys on next year's team capable of handling the basketball.

I think Richard is going to be really tough to pull out of SEC territory though.

I do live in Nashville about 5 minutes from the Belmont campus. Maybe I'll go put some UConn posters up on the lawn outside his dorm...

Reaction Score
Jackson is 6'6" with long arms and big hops. Nova just got to the Final Four starting a 6'7" PF and 6'8" C. It will be match-up dependent (a time like this year's Purdue could give a smaller line-up trouble).

But for the most part I don't think Jackson is too small to play the 4 in modern day college basketball. Especially if the other guards on the roster are long... Hawkins is 6'5" and a lot of the portal guards and wings we are recruiting are 6'5" or bigger.

Don't think AJ will log 30MPG at the 4, but he could be serviceable there for 12 MPG.

A starting line-up of 4 guards / wings at 6'5" / 6'6" with 6'9" Sanogo at center has plenty of length to be a disruptive defensive team.
We’ll be rolling out Adama and Akok/Samson game 1. Guaranteed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I really hope you're wrong. But knowing Hurley, this is probably right.

Edit: This transfer window will tell us all we need to know. If they bring in 2 guards who are expecting to start, I don't see how you get Akok/Samson into the starting lineup without an injury. Hurley already said Hawkins, AJ and Sanogo are starters for next year.

Reaction Score

I don’t think nova had more than 1 player 6’7 or over. Dixon is lucky if he’s 6’7 and Slater is 6’5 maybe 6’6. Everyone else 6’4 or less.

Agree kinda like that lineup with Sanogo at the 5. Especially if we can land big guards like Newton.

Reaction Score
With the roster currently constructed, I'm leaning this way too.

Keep in mind, the numbers I'm assigning are more for reference than static positions:

5s: Sanogo, Clingan, Springs
4s: Akok, Johnson
3s: Jackson, Karaban
2s: Hawkins, Floyd

I've read a lot of people dreaming about smaller-ish lineups, but we got a lot of size to be playing smaller-ish lineups for a lot of minutes.

That doesn't mean we can't be a four-out team: Akok, Johnson and Karaban are all players I see playing the 4 and all have stretch ability.

One smallish lineup I see working is having Johnson play the 5 when Sanogo is resting. Something like Johnson/Karaban/Jackson/Hawkins/5th guy can even play five-out. Also, if Clingan's outside shooting is legit, we have five-out possibilities there too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
With the roster currently constructed, I'm leaning this way too.

Keep in mind, the numbers I'm assigning are more for reference than static positions:

5s: Sanogo, Clingan, Springs
4s: Akok, Johnson
3s: Jackson, Karaban
2s: Hawkins, Floyd

I've read a lot of people dreaming about smaller-ish lineups, but we got a lot of size to be playing smaller-ish lineups for a lot of minutes.

That doesn't mean we can't be a four-out team: Akok, Johnson and Karaban are all players I see playing the 4 and all have stretch ability.

One smallish lineup I see working is having Johnson play the 5 when Sanogo is resting. Something like Johnson/Karaban/Jackson/Hawkins/5th guy can even play five-out. Also, if Clingan's outside shooting is legit, we have five-out possibilities there too.

Agree completely. Skilled tall player >>> skilled small players. Kevin Durant at 6’5” would be good, but not close to what he is now. We have skilled tall guys. Play them. It’s a huge advantage. For everyone pining for Villanova they couldn’t handle KU’s size. I don’t want UConn to become Villanova lite. UConn has a long heritage of dominant bigs and shot blocking.

@mauconnfan Dixon is 6’8” 255. He’s the same size as Sanogo. Slater is 6’7” 220. Bigger than Andre and it was obvious when we played them. Even at 6’6” Jackson isn’t bulky enough to handle a lot of 4s. He’s a long guard.

Reaction Score
Agree completely. Skilled tall player >>> skilled small players. Kevin Durant at 6’5” would be good, but not close to what he is now. We have skilled tall guys. Play them. It’s a huge advantage. For everyone pining for Villanova they couldn’t handle KU’s size. I don’t want UConn to become Villanova lite. UConn has a long heritage of dominant bigs and shot blocking.

@mauconnfan Dixon is 6’8” 255. He’s the same size as Sanogo. Slater is 6’7” 220. Bigger than Andre and it was obvious when we played them. Even at 6’6” Jackson isn’t bulky enough to handle a lot of 4s. He’s a long guard.
If you see Sanogo and Dixon next to each other Sanogo is clearly bigger.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Okay, if Samson Johnson is the next Kevin Durant then sure let's get him 35 min per game at the 4. But based on the fact he barley got court time this year, that seems like a bit of a stretch... No doubt he can be good, but he made exactly 1 3-pointer this past season Not exactly inspiring confidence that we can pencil him in as a shoot first 4 from day 1.

If becoming Villanova lite gets us 3 Final Fours and 2 Championships over the next 6 year, please tell me where to sign.

Reaction Score

Ok if you think that. I’ve seen Dixon next to Samuels in the huddle so then Samuels is suddenly 6’6. Sanogo lucky if he’s 6’8 as well. Whatever I don’t care you just know that if listed at a number subtract at least 1, sometimes more.

Samson J is long and would be a tremendous option on the court if he improves. Here’s hoping!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Okay, if Samson Johnson is the next Kevin Durant then sure let's get him 35 min per game at the 4. But based on the fact he barley got court time this year, that seems like a bit of a stretch... No doubt he can be good, but he made exactly 1 3-pointer this past season Not exactly inspiring confidence that we can pencil him in as a shoot first 4 from day 1.

If becoming Villanova lite gets us 3 Final Fours and 2 Championships over the next 6 year, please tell me where to sign.
For the tenth time, Whaley being here when he wouldn’t normally have been eligible is the reason he didn’t play. He made plenty of 3s in HS. Also loves to dunk and can finish inside, which we need. Watch the video. Perfect PF for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom