2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like either Newton or Young as a solid starting PG.

Question for people who are plugged in. Are there no freshmen who are still available? I'm not talking as a starter, I'm talking as a Christian Vital type 3* who can be a bench player and develop. Here is a 6'3" PG in CT.

Avery Brown signed with Columbia earlier this month.

Reaction Score
I like either Newton or Young as a solid starting PG.

Question for people who are plugged in. Are there no freshmen who are still available? I'm not talking as a starter, I'm talking as a Christian Vital type 3* who can be a bench player and develop. Here is a 6'3" PG in CT.

Why settle? I think we are at like 9 or 10 consecutive top 100 recruits. plus, with transferring being more commonplace, it is easier to rebalance the roster. and it's not like Hurley is going to go 12 deep.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why settle? I think we are at like 9 or 10 consecutive top 100 recruits. plus, with transferring being more commonplace, it is easier to rebalance the roster. and it's not like Hurley is going to go 12 deep.
It's not settling. It's roster balance. You need guys who are backups and accept that role. And not just freshmen, but veteran backups. Sometimes they will surprise to the upside.

Reaction Score
He’s a Dematha kid right? Does he know Hawkins?
They may know each other but their playing careers at DeMatha didn't occur at the same time.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
To me, this would be ideal. No idea how realistic of an option Young is though.
yeh - if we could get Newton, how do we convince Young to come and not start. plenty of minutes but no starting role - is that enough to convince a guy used to a lot of playing time?

Reaction Score
Start Jackson at the 4, push Hawkins to the 3.
Newton / Young [or Ramey] / Hawkins / Jackson / Sanogo with Samson/Akok/Springs/Karaban/CFG could be very spicy next year.

If we can't get a high-octane, high-paced motion offense going with those pieces, then I may be resigned to admit that Hurley has no desire/ability to build an offensive-minded juggernaut

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Start Jackson at the 4, push Hawkins to the 3.
Or lie to him and then not do that. That's a path to losing Johnson, who is better than either of these guys. He needs to play. A lot.

Reaction Score
Or lie to him and then not do that. That's a path to losing Johnson, who is better than either of these guys. He needs to play. A lot.
He can still play 25 minutes a night while not starting. That's a big upgrade from 4 minutes a night.

Reaction Score
Not really. There’s still 18-20 minutes a game for Johnson in that lineup. Basically the same minutes Hawkins played last season. You would just stagger lineups. At the under 12 sun out Jackson and put Johnson at the 4. At the under 8 put Jackson back in a point, clingan at the 5, Karaban at the 3 and Floyd at the 2 and then you’re big. That team would be incredibly versatile.

Hurley just can’t get lost in the game and forget to sub. No one on that team should be playing more than 30 minutes

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not really. There’s still 18-20 minutes a game for Johnson in that lineup. Basically the same minutes Hawkins played last season. You would just stagger lineups. At the under 12 sun out Jackson and put Johnson at the 4. At the under 8 put Jackson back in a point, clingan at the 5, Karaban at the 3 and Floyd at the 2 and then you’re big. That team would be incredibly versatile.

Hurley just can’t get lost in the game and forget to sub. No one on that team should be playing more than 30 minutes
Bah 20 minutes isn't enough. Neither of the guys you are bringing in are as good. Johnson is likely the 4th best talent on the roster, even with these guys. Possibly better than that. Has star potential and these transfers do not. I expect Johnson will be the backup 5 as well (don't expect Clingan to play much). We also need Akok to get minutes at the 4, he may win that job. Then there is Springs. In short, the one position where we are set is the 4. Andre should be a 1-3. Hawkins is not strong enough to be a 3 and AJ isn't big enough to be a 4. They'd get mauled. Last thing I want is Hurley to turn UConn into URI.

Totally agree with the last sentence though. He needs to sub way more often.

Reaction Score
Bah 20 minutes isn't enough. Neither of the guys you are bringing in are as good. Johnson is likely the 4th best talent on the roster, even with these guys. Possibly better than that. Has star potential and these transfers do not. I expect Johnson will be the backup 5 as well (don't expect Clingan to play much). We also need Akok to get minutes at the 4, he may win that job. Then there is Springs. In short, the one position where we are set is the 4. Andre should be a 1-3. Hawkins is not strong enough to be a 3 and AJ isn't big enough to be a 4. They'd get mauled. Last thing I want is Hurley to turn UConn into URI.

Totally agree with the last sentence though. He needs to sub way more often.

You have no idea how good Johnson is. Weren't you super high on Diggins and Gaffney last week . He may be so good he warrants more minutes but 20 or so until he takes over next year sounds good to me

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You have no idea how good Johnson is. Weren't you super high on Diggins and Gaffney last week . He may be so good he warrants more minutes but 20 or so until he takes over next year sounds good to me
He's good. I was the one all season saying the "play Diggins" people were crazy. His metrics, especially on D, were worse than the walk ons. Gaffney was an acceptable backup PG, who improved his defense and A-TO ratio, and strangely lost his shot. I have no doubt Hurley would love to have him back and we'll be lucky to get a backup PG who is as good.

There is only one reason Johnson didn't play 20+ minutes last year - Whaley got an extra season and Hurley was in love with his defense. It was a mistake to play Whaley so much with Sanogo.

Reaction Score
He's good. I was the one all season saying the "play Diggins" people were crazy. His metrics, especially on D, were worse than the walk ons. Gaffney was an acceptable backup PG, who improved his defense and A-TO ratio, and strangely lost his shot. I have no doubt Hurley would love to have him back and we'll be lucky to get a backup PG who is as good.

There is only one reason Johnson didn't play 20+ minutes last year - Whaley got an extra season and Hurley was in love with his defense. It was a mistake to play Whaley so much with Sanogo.

No it wasn’t a mistake to play Whaley so much. Why? We had no options. I mean Samson looks like he can be ok but he wasn’t ready at all. Lost on defense, fouled on every breath just not ready at all. Looks like he may be good but marking him down for 20 minutes or more would be a mistake. Same with Akok. If there’s another answer out there take it.

Reaction Score

I think from Hurley's comments it was pretty clear both sides decided it was best for Gaffney to move on

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Things look like they are heating up a bit. Newton, Ramy, Carter, and Richard seem to be the main 4 getting interest, although I'd love to get on this Charlotte kid too. We definitely need to bring in at least 2 guys - wonder if we'd take 3.
I'd be happy with any two from a group of these four plus Reeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom