2022 Giants Thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

2022 Giants Thread

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not true at all. They'd be negotiating an extension with him right now regardless of whether they picked up the option or not
Not saying they wouldn't, but his salary for 2023 would be in the neighborhood of $22.4M, had the Giants picked up Jones' 5th year option, and any negotiation would be for year 6 and beyond.

As the article indicates, the 2023, (Jones' 5th year), non-exclusive franchise tag for QBs is expected to be around $32M (Exclusive QB FT ≈ 45M). Jones may give some back for longer term security, but he's made enough noise this season to be in that ballpark.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Barkley returns. Schoen talked about how they weren’t close when talking earlier in the year and also mentioned “positional value” during the presser….which doesn’t bode well for Barkley if he’s looking for a big number.
I could see them bringing back Breida and maybe going RB in the 2nd or 3rd round and allocating the Barkley money elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Not saying they wouldn't, but his salary for 2023 would be in the neighborhood of $22.4M, had the Giants picked up Jones' 5th year option, and any negotiation would be for year 6 and beyond.

As the article indicates, the 2023, (Jones' 5th year), non-exclusive franchise tag for QBs is expected to be around $32M (Exclusive QB FT ≈ 45M). Jones may give some back for longer term security, but he's made enough noise this season to be in that ballpark.
All that matters is the cap hit, and with an extension they can make year 1 be right around the $20M it would have been. Declining the option was the most straightforward decision possible

Reaction Score
All that matters is the cap hit, and with an extension they can make year 1 be right around the $20M it would have been. Declining the option was the most straightforward decision possible
the only people that bring up the 5th year option are the two patriot fans. Every giants fan is keenly aware of the situation and that declining the option was a no brainer

Husky25

Reaction Score

So now the Giants have to play cap games for the remaining tenure of a QB whose comps are Ryan Tannehill and Mitch Trubisky? Fun.

I don't necessarily disagree that Jones did not deserve the 5th year option, particularly at the time. Over his first three seasons, he hardly did anything to deserve the money for year 4 ($8M), let alone a $22.4M payday. Be that as it may, it was/is amusing to follow Giants fans talk themselves into Jones over the course of the season as if he is anything better than mediocre.

If they are in negotiations for an extension, then Daboll has obviously convinced Schoen that there is more there, but even while year four was better than the previous three combined, Jones' performance rose to replacement level value, for whom the they are potentially going to shell out in the neighborhood of $30M per. Time will tell if they should.

Reaction Score

So now the Giants have to play cap games for the remaining tenure of a QB whose comps are Ryan Tannehill and Mitch Trubisky? Fun.

I don't necessarily disagree that Jones did not deserve the 5th year option, particularly at the time. Over his first three seasons, he hardly did anything to deserve the money for year 4 ($8M), let alone a $22.4M payday. Be that as it may, it was/is amusing to follow Giants fans talk themselves into Jones over the course of the season as if he is anything better than mediocre.

If they are in negotiations for an extension, then Daboll has obviously convinced Schoen that there is more there, but even while year four was better than the previous three combined, Jones' performance rose to replacement level value, for whom the they are potentially going to shell out in the neighborhood of $30M per. Time will tell if they should.
Just be concerned with your own franchise, if you are still paying attention to it, and the fact it has one of the worst starting Qbs in the league and has not won a playoff game since 2018. Sheesh, even the Texans, Browns, and Seahawks have won playoff games more recently.

Reaction Score

You need to pick a side. First the Giants were dumb for not picking up the option and now he's a mediocre QB who doesn't deserve to get paid. Can't have it both ways

Reaction Score
You need to pick a side. First the Giants were dumb for not picking up the option and now he's a mediocre QB who doesn't deserve to get paid. Can't have it both ways
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This was me jumping somewhat to a conclusion but I've felt since last spring that Schoen & Daboll initially planned on trading Barkley by last fall's deadline for any reasonable return (ideally they would have landed a third round pick) and trading Jones for anything they could get, as the plan was to do a full rebuild and move on from both. With that in mind, a fifth year, with $20 million plus guaranteed for a QB they didn't plan on having in the roster would have made zero sense.

As they got to work with both, those in charge started to realize that the two were far more valuable than they had believed from what they had seen from the outside. I personally believe that a Joe Judge offense could even make Mahomes look subpar.

When all is said and done, I doubt that the total payout to Jones will end up being much different than what it would have been if they had picked up the fifth year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I didn't say they were dumb...Okay, with the benefit of hindsight, I guess it was implied...I'll accept that.

My comment was more that the Giants now have a QB that "led" them to the Playoffs (even if it may have done with smoke & mirrors*) and fans want to extend him for about 50% more than it would have taken before the season. The Giants didn't think Jones was worth $22.4M in April. He probably still isn't now and certainly not worth upwards of $30M+. Whatever, have at it. It's not our money, right?

*I didn't look more deeply into it prior to my initial post, but the Giants were 1-7 in the regular vs. playoff teams and 8-0-1 vs. the bottom 18.

Reaction Score
I didn't say they were dumb...Okay, with the benefit of hindsight, I guess it was implied...I'll accept that.

My comment was more that the Giants now have a QB that "led" them to the Playoffs (even if it may have done with smoke & mirrors*) and fans want to extend him for about 50% more than it would have taken before the season. The Giants didn't think Jones was worth $22.4M in April. He probably still isn't now and certainly not worth upwards of $30M+. Whatever, have at it. It's not our money, right?

*I didn't look more deeply into it prior to my initial post, but the Giants were 1-7 in the regular vs. playoff teams and 8-0-1 vs. the bottom 18.
Obviously you didn't look too deeply into after either, as they beat the Ravens and Jags, so how could they be 1-7?

Reaction Score

Your really jumping all over the place to try and twist your narrative.

Reaction Score
we dont sound too far away with 26. franchise tag would be 10M, hes already gotten a 12M offer and wants to be within 14-16M

Husky25

Reaction Score
Your really jumping all over the place to try and twist your narrative.

I don't think I am. Jones was considered garbage in April, unworthy of the 5th year option, with a few whispers that he should actually back up Tyrod Taylor. Now fans want to him re-signed long-term (as does Schoen). That's all well and good, until the money is considered. More than a few reputable sources have alluded to a significant potential of using the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones, which puts his salary at $32M.

One cannot deny his improvement following the regime change. Joe Judge was definitely a detriment (related, I'm not totally sure how irreparable Mac Jones will be for Bill O'Brien), but did Daniel Jones improve to a point better than replacement level? Is there more room for improvement and is it worth 32M?

If the Giants sign Jones for anything under $22.4M AAV, their gamble worked and fans can rejoice. OTOH, those reputable sources above believe the starting point is north of 30.

Reaction Score
I don't think I am. Jones was considered garbage in April, unworthy of the 5th year option, with a few whispers that he should actually back up Tyrod Taylor. Now fans want to him re-signed long-term (as does Schoen). That's all well and good, until the money is considered. More than a few reputable sources have alluded to a significant potential of using the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones, which puts his salary at $32M.

One cannot deny his improvement following the regime change. Joe Judge was definitely a detriment (related, I'm not totally sure how irreparable Mac Jones will be for Bill O'Brien), but did Daniel Jones improve to a point better than replacement level? Is there more room for improvement and is it worth 32M?

If the Giants sign Jones for anything under $22.4M AAV, their gamble worked and fans can rejoice. OTOH, those reputable sources above believe the starting point is north of 30.
The only value of this post is to show a complete lack of understanding of the situation, the salary cap, and the NFL as a whole. But other than that, home run.

Reaction Score
Honestly, happy for Kadarius Toney for his big second half in the Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
Honestly, happy for Kadarius Toney for his big second half in the Super Bowl.
Have to say as a Giants fan obviously happy the Chiefs won. But sorry I can’t agree on this at all. He did nothing for the Giants but create problems, which they drilled him. Lol I’m a nice way of course.

Reaction Score
I could deal with Kadarius Tony winning a Super Bowl if it meant beating the Eagles. He was healthy enough for the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. Always need that unsung hero was yelling for them to use Tony on the goal line.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just saw that he wants more than 45 mil/year. That’s a lot for a guy with one good season. I think they may tag him.

Lord knows I am no Giants fan and the teams that I do follow have their own problems, but $45M is elite QB territory. I don't think Jones is a franchise QB, nor is he worth $45M. Heck, I'm not certain he's worth $32M to anyone except New York.

The Non-exclusive franchise tag seems to be the way to go, but Giants fans seem to want him really bad and the franchise has to maintain the value of the stadium's PSLs.

Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone is surprised by these numbers. $50+ cap hit is about to be the norm for QBs.

Watson is at 54, Dak is at 52, freaking Kyler Murray is at 52 mill in 2024. These guys stink.

After next offseason there will be around 10 guys with over 50 million cap hits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just saw that he wants more than 45 mil/year. That’s a lot for a guy with one good season. I think they may tag him.
Pats fan, and one who thought they should have picked up his option. I think he's solid, but much north of $30m a year is too much. $40M+ isn't even worth talking about.

Reaction Score
Pats fan, and one who thought they should have picked up his option. I think he's solid, but much north of $30m a year is too much. $40M+ isn't even worth talking about.
Name me a starting QB whose is 25 or under who has proven they can win a road playoff game they can get for cheap?

I will wait.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Name me a starting QB whose is 25 or under who has proven they can win a road playoff game they can get for cheap?

I will wait.
As if that's relevant criteria for what you pay a guy. It's irrelevant. He's not a $40m QB. Hell, a year ago most of you wanted to move on. His new agents are playing games. Giants should call the bluff. They can always tag him at $32 and if somebody really wants to pay him $45 a year, trade him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom