2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 143 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not impressed UConn is on the verge of rejoining the Big East. It’s not the same with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, and B.C. Having moved on to greener pastures. It may benefit the men’s program but I don’t see how it helps Geno.

Reaction Score

2022 5-9 G Hanna Muhl and 2023 6-1 W Agata Makurat both competed in the First Annual Blue Star 30 Europe.

I believe Makurat is the one on the left whose head is touching the backboard (looks a lot like Ania) and Muhl is #29 in the front. Could anyone confirm?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe Makurat is the one on the left whose head is touching the backboard (looks a lot like Ania) and Muhl is #29 in the front. Could anyone confirm?

That's them.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
2022 5-9 G Hanna Muhl and 2023 6-1 W Agata Makurat both competed in the First Annual Blue Star 30 Europe.

And I’d love to have them both at UConn!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey has begun following '22's Timea Gardiner (plus her mom) and Lauren Betts on Twitter. As mentioned previously, she recently added Payton Verhulst ('21) as a follow too.

Forgot, CD also following Kiki Rice's mom on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not impressed UConn is on the verge of rejoining the Big East. It’s not the same with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, and B.C. Having moved on to greener pastures. It may benefit the men’s program but I don’t see how it helps Geno.

Coach Auriemma was interviewed on WTNH 8 tonight, while at his golf tournament, and he said basically the same thing. I am paraphrasing here, but he said something along the lines of "this isn't the old BE, there are no Louisvilles or Notre Dames in the the new BE".

Reaction Score

You were impressed with the AAC? You don't have to be "impressed" to just simply realize the BE is better than the AAC, right? And if the BE is better - why wouldn't it be even a minor benefit to UCONN? If it's even minor it helps, right?

Reaction Score
You were impressed with the AAC? You don't have to be "impressed" to just simply realize the BE is better than the AAC, right? And if the BE is better - why wouldn't it be even a minor benefit to UCONN? If it's even minor it helps, right?

only reason I can think of is the advantage playing a more diverse geographic schedule might have in recruiting...............

Reaction Score

Because, a move to the Big East basically slams the door on UConn ever being in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Who knows what the college athletic landscape will look like in the next 10 years, but I think the ship has sailed on UConn getting a P5 invite for all or the reasons stated in the thread on that topic.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Adidas is hosting a camp for players I presume are affiliated with the brand. Noticed two UConn POI there so far: 2023 #2 Jada Williams and 2021 Talia Von Oelhoffen. TVO just won a 1 vs 1 tourney as noted by Shane Laflin below.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Because, a move to the Big East basically slams the door on UConn ever being in a P5 conference.
From what I've been hearing, that door has done been slammed for a while.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
The big east is comprised of a bunch of mediocre women’s teams. While joining the big east will cut down down on the amount of travel, I don’t see how it will help in recruitment. If I’m an elite player I’m still going to look closely at the likes of Notre dame or South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma was interviewed on WTNH 8 tonight, while at his golf tournament, and he said basically the same thing. I am paraphrasing here, but he said something along the lines of "this isn't the old BE, there are no Louisvilles or Notre Dames in the the new BE".
Agree, read the same article. Read about an interview Westbrook gave about her rehab. Reporter asked the question that went something like”why UConn”? Westbrook responded she knew right away after her visit UConn was the right place for her, the program history, the coach, her new team mates, made her decision easy. She made her commitment before she left campus. Don’t get the same feeling about Sedona Prince. I would think she would want to get enrolled in her classes and start working out with her new team mates.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The big east is comprised of a bunch of mediocre women’s teams. While joining the big east will cut down down on the amount of travel, I don’t see how it will help in recruitment. If I’m an elite player I’m still going to look closely at the likes of Notre dame or South Carolina.
Geno built the program by recruiting to *his* program, UConn WBB, not to a conference. Has Geno had a single player whose recruiting decision came down to conference affiliation? I doubt it.

Reaction Score

1--- The AAC is comprised of a bunch of lousy teams. What's better-- "mediocre teams" or "lousy teams?" Big East was 6th best Conference. If they can't get in a P5 what's better than 6th?

2--- For the part in bold, are you saying if UCONN joined the P5 conference you would never look at another school other than UCONN? Otherwise what's the point of your comment in bold? You'd still look closely at ND or SC, wouldn't you? I mean UCONN has been getting the number 1 recruit despite being in a bad conference. SO if you are elite and number 5 - you won't look closely at with Geno is recruiting before and after you?

IMO you are going to look closely regardless. So what was the point of making your comment in bold? UCONN was in a crummy league and got beaten two years in the FF on last second shots. Got beat by ND this year - our weakest team in years- but we had a player who left us Stevens. If she was there . . . Anyhow-- UCONN has been getting elite players, right? So now they are going to a better conference and you think they are suddenly going to be worse? And how much greater can they be now vs being in a P5?

Reaction Score
Geno built the program by recruiting to *his* program, UConn WBB, not to a conference. Has Geno had a single player whose recruiting decision came down to conference affiliation? I doubt it.

I think it's the "entire package" including conference.

Reaction Score
C
I think it's the "entire package" including conference.
Can someone refresh my memory as to why UConn has had such difficulty in getting an invite to either the ACC or big ten conferences. Is it strictly on the basis of their football program? I remember when BC bolted to the ACC Jim Calhoun made some negative comments. If memory serves me right they were close to an invite at one point but the BC AD vetoed their invite. In the intervening years neither BC nor Rutgers have lit up their respective leagues in basketball or football.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the status of Edwards? Hopefully she is a strong UCONN lean! Do we have a legitimate chance for any other post players for 2020? I just don't understand why UCONN has such trouble attracting Post Players!

Reaction Score
2021 Latasha Lattimore (6-4 F), Crestwood Secondary Prep (CAN) received an offer! Lattimore is ranked #11 by espnW HoopGurlz.

She attends HS with Aaliyah Edwards.

Other offers: South Carolina, Maryland, UCLA, Michigan, Louisville, Florida, Michigan State, Kentucky, TCU.

Per Dan Olson’s evaluations -- she is ultra-athletic, superb in transition and uptempo, defends multiple positions, has a long (747 as Olson likes to say:D) wingspan, and is explosive and bouncy in the paint with solid footwork, back to the basket or facing up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This may be an agree to disagree issue. UConn plays one of the toughest schedules in women's basketball and with it comes tremendous publicity. Agree that other conferences top to bottom have better teams, but if you want to be on the big stage you go to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom