2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 119 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Certainly that is part of it. UCONN needs to land a big in the 2020 class that is an immediate contributor.
Again IMO there are quite a few more forwards more ready to make that contribution on day one.

I'm sure you have stated those forwards that are more ready. Would you mind sharing those who you think are better fits? For me I definitely like the Edwards, Kid. She looks like high energy player who competes hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
I sure like what the staff has done with players like Lou, Collier, and Cash, I would love to see what they could do with Reese who should be able to play a combo forward and likely 2-3 year starter at UConn.
Lou, Phee and Swin were especially open to being "coached up" and we're willing to expand their game for the sake of the team. That is often not the case for uber talented recruits.

Reaction Score
So many people said the exact same thing about Westbrook and no one wanting her near Storrs because she wasn’t a UConn fit. She showed up on a visit and then it seemed a lot switched their minds. I would give Reese a chance solely because we need bodies and she is an athlete.
I haven't changed my mind. I just don't feel the need to repeat myself several times per thread. Re Reese, having a body and being athletic is not sufficient.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure you have stated those forwards that are more ready. Would you mind sharing those who you think are better fits? For me I definitely like the Edwards, Kid. She looks like high energy player who competes hard.
Hannah Gusters is listed by most as a post player but she has the ability to play the forward position.
Emily Bessior is a complete forward post up, handles, superb passer, deep ball, & defensive versatility.
Aaliyah Edwards has better range, major motor, and much more polish offensively, length for days and she knows how to use it.
Dalayah Daniels size , perimeter defender, deep ball, handles in transition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So many people said the exact same thing about Westbrook and no one wanting her near Storrs because she wasn’t a UConn fit. She showed up on a visit and then it seemed a lot switched their minds. I would give Reese a chance solely because we need bodies and she is an athlete.
Reese reportedly has a UCONN offer so she has a choice. IMO it would be prudent for UCONN to keep evaluating her as well as some of the other "uncommitted" players in this very talented 2020 class. An offer is not the end of the evaluation process since UCONN has many needs to fill.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hannah Gusters is listed by most as a post player but she has the ability to play the forward position.
Emily Bessior is a complete forward post up, handles, superb passer, deep ball, & defensive versatility.
Aaliyah Edwards has better range, major motor, and much more polish offensively, length for days and she knows how to use it.
Dalayah Daniels size , perimeter defender, deep ball, handles in transition.
So basically we'd be fine with ALL four of them. :D

Reaction Score
So basically we'd be fine with ALL four of them. :D
Don’t think we will get any of them. I think they will all stay home to play in front of home crowd and family. Still find it hard to believe we lost Marshall to ND. She was right in our own backyard at Christ the King High School. Same school Tina Charles attended. What an offensive and defensive monster on the boards she turned out to be for UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Don’t think we will get any of them. I think they will all stay home to play in front of home crowd and family. Still find it hard to believe we lost Marshall to ND. She was right in our own backyard at Christ the King High School. Same school Tina Charles attended. What an offensive and defensive monster on the boards she turned out to be for UConn.

What school will allow Edwards to stay home and play in front of family?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure we "lost" Marshall. Don't really remember reading about us persuing her extensively. I don't remember hearing she had an offer. Maybe she did, but I don't remember that.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Reese’s game similar to Katie Lou’s when she first arrived at UConn. Both play the wing although Katie Lou seems to be much better from 3 point range. Both are good ball handlers. I’ve watched Katie Lou bring the ball up court numerous times acting more like a guard than not. Katie Lou matured into a much better overall ball player under Geno and CD’S direction. Whose to say that won’t happen with Reese. Whose to say Reese will even come to UConn.

No, not even close. Reese is a 6'3 freak of athlete, that is a one dimensional scorer and does 90% of her damage on layups and put backs. She is a solid rebounder because of her size and athleticism, but she tends to get lazy and not box out quite often. Her handle is limited at best and she is a very raw basketball player at this point with a limited basketball IQ. She gets by on being so much more athletic than anybody else on the court. Samuelson was a very athletically limited 6'3, that could score from anywhere on the floor. She was a tremendous jump shooter and her spot up game was lethal. She was an average rebounder with a plus handle. She was a polished basketball player that had a very high basketball IQ. Samuelson's only glaring limitation was her lack of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Not sure we "lost" Marshall. Don't really remember reading about us persuing her extensively. I don't remember hearing she had an offer. Maybe she did, but I don't remember that.

I think UConn got in late but if I remember correctly, Marshall did visit UConn last year

MTC

Reaction Score
Recruiting is the life blood of every sport and we should have given out at least six offers by now for 2020.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Recruiting is the life blood of every sport and we should have given out at least six offers by now for 2020.
You must be a Louisville fan! In this case you might be closer than you realize.
UCONN has 5 offers out for the class of 2020 THAT WE KNOW ABOUT.
NIka Muhl
Paige Bueckers
Hannah Gusters
Angel Reese
Hailey VanLith

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think UConn got in late but if I remember correctly, Marshall did visit UConn last year
Lots of kids visit UCONN. 5 of the top 7 Kids in 2020 class have visited UCONN (Paige, Cameron Brink, Hailey, Angel Reese & Hannah Gusters.
But did they ever offer her? Can't really "lose" if they don't offer.
Marshall was likely not offered by UCONN because her recruiting prioritized academics above everything. It was either going to be ND or Stanford. Hell even Duke stood a better chance with her than UCONN did.
That is based on her public statements which I'm sure the UCONN staff either sensed or knew before those public statements.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn was on her list and I’m pretty sure she visited the school twice. How do you pass on a 6ft 5 post player. I think Gusters will wind up at Baylor where she will probably start and team up with Cox. Another big front court. Don’t know why Geno is having such a hard time recruiting bigs these past couple of years. If you look at his past successes Lobo, Wolters, Charles, Dolson etc. even Katie Lou was 6’3”. Notre Dame and Baylor destroyed us off the boards during the season and tournament. Both teams had so many offensive and defensive rebounds against I lost count. All I could do was swear at the t.v.

Reactions: MTC

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Not for nothing...but, for a Public University...UConn ranks up there pretty high. UConn's nickname is: "public ivy"

Undergraduate, ranking and admission[edit]
Students at UConn can pursue over 100 majors, eight undergraduate degrees, 17 graduate degrees and five professional degree programs.[45] Students choose from 87 different minors at UConn, including areas of study not offered as formalized majors.
As of 2017, of the entering freshman at the main campus in Storrs, 54% ranked in the top tenth of their high school class and 89% in the top quarter.[46] Approximately 50,000 prospective students and their families tour the main campus in Storrs annually. UConn's retention rate is among the best for public universities in the nation, with 93% of students returning for their sophomore year.[47] UConn ranks 3rd out of 58 public research universities on basis of graduation time, with the average time to graduate being 4.2 years among those who graduate within 6 years.[48]
UConn participates in the New England Board of Higher Education's Regional Student Program (NERSP), allowing students from the five other New England states to enroll at the university at a reduced out-of-state tuition rate if their intended major is not offered by one of their in-state universities.[49] The university also participates in a special guaranteed admissions program[50] with the Connecticut Community Colleges (CCC)[51] that is designed for academically qualified students who are attending a Connecticut community college and who are planning to transfer to the University of Connecticut in Liberal Arts & Sciences, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Business, or Engineering. Each year, more than 1,000 transfer students are admitted to the university.[52]
The university has achieved numerous commendations as a result of its focus on academics and the resources it provides for its students and faculty.
  • The University of Connecticut has been designated a "Public Ivy" in The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities (2001)[62] as "successfully competing with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor... attracting superstar faculty and in competing for the best and brightest students of all races."[63]
  • The university was ranked 18th among public universities and 56th among national universities in 2018 U.S. News and World Report.[4]
  • A 2017 study conducted by Buffalo Business First ranked the school 16th out of 499 four-year public institutions across the United States.
  • Kiplinger's Personal Finance named UConn the 28th best value in public higher education for 2015 (26th on the basis of out-of-state tuition).[64]
  • The University of Connecticut was among the top 10 producers of Fulbright Scholars from research institutions in 2017.
  • The 2015 Sierra Club "Cool Schools" list of environmentally responsible universities ranked UConn 8th in the U.S.[65]
  • In 2012, the University of Connecticut was ranked as the most sustainable campus among 215 universities worldwide.[66]
Graduate and postgraduate[edit]
Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs are offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences,[67] College of Agriculture and Natural Resources,[68] the Graduate School,[69] the Neag School of Education,[70] the School of Nursing,[71] the School of Business,[72] the School of Dental Medicine,[73] the School of Medicine,[74] the School of Engineering,[75] the School of Social Work,[76] the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture,[77] the School of Pharmacy,[78] the School of Law and the School of Fine Arts.[79]
Main article: University of Connecticut School of Law
Founded in 1921, the University of Connecticut School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools.[80] The campus is located just outside the downtown core of Hartford, minutes away from the Connecticut State Capitol, state courts and agencies, and the offices of Hartford's law firms and corporations. Law students have ready access to all of these institutions for study, externships, clinical education, practice, and employment. The campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Its gothic-style buildings, constructed in 1925 (except for the new library, which was completed in 1996), housed the Hartford Seminary until 1981.
The law school has approximately 620 students and a student:faculty ratio of 11:1. UConn Law has repeatedly been ranked the top public law school in New England by U.S. News and World Report, and was most recently in 2013 ranked 58th of American law schools.[81] There are four scholarly journals edited on campus: the Connecticut Law Review, the Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal, the Connecticut Insurance Law Journal, and the Connecticut Journal of International Law. Students may pursue concentrations in corporate law, criminal law, environmental law, family law, intellectual property law, international law, juvenile law, labor law, litigation, tax law, torts and insurance, legal theory, information technology law, property and land, child advocacy, and policy. The school is particularly known for its strong insurance law and intellectual property law programs.

UConn Health, located in Farmington
The UConn Health campus in Farmington is home to the School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, John Dempsey Hospital and faculty practices in medical and dental health care.[82] The Lyman Maynard Stowe Library, which is housed at UConn Health, was one of eight federally funded National Network of Libraries of Medicine libraries from 1991 to 2001.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing...but, for a Public University...UConn ranks up there pretty high. UConn's nickname is: "public ivy"

Undergraduate, ranking and admission[edit]
Students at UConn can pursue over 100 majors, eight undergraduate degrees, 17 graduate degrees and five professional degree programs.[45] Students choose from 87 different minors at UConn, including areas of study not offered as formalized majors.
As of 2017, of the entering freshman at the main campus in Storrs, 54% ranked in the top tenth of their high school class and 89% in the top quarter.[46] Approximately 50,000 prospective students and their families tour the main campus in Storrs annually. UConn's retention rate is among the best for public universities in the nation, with 93% of students returning for their sophomore year.[47] UConn ranks 3rd out of 58 public research universities on basis of graduation time, with the average time to graduate being 4.2 years among those who graduate within 6 years.[48]
UConn participates in the New England Board of Higher Education's Regional Student Program (NERSP), allowing students from the five other New England states to enroll at the university at a reduced out-of-state tuition rate if their intended major is not offered by one of their in-state universities.[49] The university also participates in a special guaranteed admissions program[50] with the Connecticut Community Colleges (CCC)[51] that is designed for academically qualified students who are attending a Connecticut community college and who are planning to transfer to the University of Connecticut in Liberal Arts & Sciences, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Business, or Engineering. Each year, more than 1,000 transfer students are admitted to the university.[52]
The university has achieved numerous commendations as a result of its focus on academics and the resources it provides for its students and faculty.
  • The University of Connecticut has been designated a "Public Ivy" in The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities (2001)[62] as "successfully competing with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor... attracting superstar faculty and in competing for the best and brightest students of all races."[63]
  • The university was ranked 18th among public universities and 56th among national universities in 2018 U.S. News and World Report.[4]
  • A 2017 study conducted by Buffalo Business First ranked the school 16th out of 499 four-year public institutions across the United States.
  • Kiplinger's Personal Finance named UConn the 28th best value in public higher education for 2015 (26th on the basis of out-of-state tuition).[64]
  • The University of Connecticut was among the top 10 producers of Fulbright Scholars from research institutions in 2017.
  • The 2015 Sierra Club "Cool Schools" list of environmentally responsible universities ranked UConn 8th in the U.S.[65]
  • In 2012, the University of Connecticut was ranked as the most sustainable campus among 215 universities worldwide.[66]
Graduate and postgraduate[edit]
Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs are offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences,[67] College of Agriculture and Natural Resources,[68] the Graduate School,[69] the Neag School of Education,[70] the School of Nursing,[71] the School of Business,[72] the School of Dental Medicine,[73] the School of Medicine,[74] the School of Engineering,[75] the School of Social Work,[76] the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture,[77] the School of Pharmacy,[78] the School of Law and the School of Fine Arts.[79]
Main article: University of Connecticut School of Law
Founded in 1921, the University of Connecticut School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools.[80] The campus is located just outside the downtown core of Hartford, minutes away from the Connecticut State Capitol, state courts and agencies, and the offices of Hartford's law firms and corporations. Law students have ready access to all of these institutions for study, externships, clinical education, practice, and employment. The campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Its gothic-style buildings, constructed in 1925 (except for the new library, which was completed in 1996), housed the Hartford Seminary until 1981.
The law school has approximately 620 students and a student:faculty ratio of 11:1. UConn Law has repeatedly been ranked the top public law school in New England by U.S. News and World Report, and was most recently in 2013 ranked 58th of American law schools.[81] There are four scholarly journals edited on campus: the Connecticut Law Review, the Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal, the Connecticut Insurance Law Journal, and the Connecticut Journal of International Law. Students may pursue concentrations in corporate law, criminal law, environmental law, family law, intellectual property law, international law, juvenile law, labor law, litigation, tax law, torts and insurance, legal theory, information technology law, property and land, child advocacy, and policy. The school is particularly known for its strong insurance law and intellectual property law programs.

UConn Health, located in Farmington
The UConn Health campus in Farmington is home to the School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, John Dempsey Hospital and faculty practices in medical and dental health care.[82] The Lyman Maynard Stowe Library, which is housed at UConn Health, was one of eight federally funded National Network of Libraries of Medicine libraries from 1991 to 2001.
UCONN is a fine institution but Stanford and Duke are top ten schools undergraduate and outstanding athletics in D-1 power conferences. Tough to compete with that

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
UCONN is a fine institution but Stanford and Duke are top ten schools undergraduate and outstanding athletics in D-1 power conferences. Tough to compete with that

It also comes down to program, too. Less so for many athletes (especially those whose intentions are to go pro), but I still would like to throw that out there. If an athlete is looking at their life after sports, program quality matters.

I got my master’s in a pretty specialized field at UConn, and their program is, arguably, the top in the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom