2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 121 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
grade system to

As an outsider to the Amer. system, but being someone w/ a good grasps of systems of making a school, program, institut., etc. great, I find it interesting how willing people are to put statistics out there with no critical eye for the interests and logic behind them. Stanford, Duke and ND might be great univ., but that has nothing to do with 'acceptance rates." One might say that the pool in which they fish in is rather small. The more expensive the smaller the pool. Once the pecking order is accomplished there are secondary tier systems (elite h.s with their inflated systems to feed students into these elite univ. But you and others are right. I have been on admissions and hiring committees in which colleagues argued for students/staff based on indices that were 'criminal' No way someone from xxx would get that position over yyy. In my view no student athlete (and even none ath) can take full advantage of what a univ has to offer-- short of cheating. So, academically, student A saying she has chosen Stanford over Uconn because of the latter academics is just TALK. Were she to come out a 'better' from going to Stanford than Uconn may owe more to peer pressure to perform. Nothing like finding out that your fellow students not only read the papers for this week, but they looked at 5 others, and take pride in speaking well.
Clarification question: If you are fishing from a rather small pool to begin with and you can still afford to be this selective aren't you eating rather well?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
grade system to

As an outsider to the Amer. system, but being someone w/ a good grasps of systems of making a school, program, institut., etc. great, I find it interesting how willing people are to put statistics out there with no critical eye for the interests and logic behind them. Stanford, Duke and ND might be great univ., but that has nothing to do with 'acceptance rates." One might say that the pool in which they fish in is rather small. The more expensive the smaller the pool. Once the pecking order is accomplished there are secondary tier systems (elite h.s with their inflated systems to feed students into these elite univ. But you and others are right. I have been on admissions and hiring committees in which colleagues argued for students/staff based on indices that were 'criminal' No way someone from xxx would get that position over yyy. In my view no student athlete (and even none ath) can take full advantage of what a univ has to offer-- short of cheating. So, academically, student A saying she has chosen Stanford over Uconn because of the latter academics is just TALK. Were she to come out a 'better' from going to Stanford than Uconn may owe more to peer pressure to perform. Nothing like finding out that your fellow students not only read the papers for this week, but they looked at 5 others, and take pride in speaking well.

I generally agree with your view but whether we know the 'real' academic
opportunities across all universities are comparable is the case, many HS kids and most importantly, their families will still view some elite reputation schools as the best pick.

I seem to recall Rebecca Lobo's family wanting her to go to Stanford (or equivalent). Yes, UConn has greatly improved it's status but the principle is the same.

Anyhow, it seems there are still a few great kids who see everything UConn has to offer.

Reaction Score
If I'm majoring in Unmanned Aircraft Operations, for example, those "elite schools" don't even offer my major. Programs are still super important.

And it depends on what you were able to do in your undergrad. You're right, to some extent, that if you take an athlete from Stanford and an athlete from UConn, both with biology degrees who only went to class and played their sport, the Stanford degree holder will have a slight edge. But if you're an athlete who is preparing for a career after college, the best opportunities for you may not be at those cream of the crop, elite schools.

If you have kids, especially, this Malcolm Gladwell talk is fantastic.

Very cool!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I seem to recall Rebecca Lobo's family wanting her to go to Stanford (or equivalent). Yes, UConn has greatly improved it's status but the principle is the same.
Anyhow, it seems there are still a few great kids who see everything UConn has to offer.
There are more recent examples Jayne Appel and Chiney Ogwumike both chose Stanford over UCONN largely based on academics. Elizabeth Williams chose Duke over UCONN for much the same reason. Maya Dotson dropped everyone (including UCONN) from consideration the first time Stanford called her.
Anaya Peoples dropped everyone before Muffet had finished the sentence extending her an offer.
I miss @bags27, this is the time he would come in and remind ups that a you can get a very good education anywhere and that typically WCBB don't have enough time to take advantage of everything a university has to offer-He would know. I just don't understand why some people are pretending that if academics is a top priority, then UCONN is going to lose out on some recruits to Stanford, Duke, & ND.

Reaction Score
I see UConn just recruited another European player Anna Makurat and she is eligible to play immediately. Don’t know much about her except she is about 6’ guard. Still no height yet. If this year looked pretty bad rebounding against good teams wait until next season with Collier and Samuelson gone. Don’t know how Geno is going to find playing time for all these guards 2020 Page and Nika Muhl, plus Griffin, Williams, and Walker. I consider Walker to be more of a small forward/guard.
Maybe Olivia will have to average 20 and 20

MTC

Reaction Score
Maybe Olivia will have to average 20 and 20
Welcome Anna Makurat to the UConn family. We are very happy to have you onboard. May your future be everything you are hoping for as we cheer you on.

Reaction Score
Let me offer thoughts as a Princeton Grad who adopted the Lady Huskies (even though I am no longer allowed to say that) in 1995, in January on MLK day. My wife did go to UConn for first two years, and later got an MBA from UConn, so there are some ties. Years ago, where you went mattered a lot, maybe because of the old boy network of connections. Latest studies say the average Princeton grad does better than the average UConn grad, but the average UConn grad who was qualified to get into Princeton did do just as well as the average Princeton grad. What really made the difference was the student, not the school. So the real advantage is that for an extra $200,000 I can say I went to Princeton at a cocktail party and you can't. Of course, if you took the $200,000 and invested it in Amazon or Facebook you can invite out on your yacht called the Lady Husky, with Lady (this is where the X's should be)'d out. But if you invested in the two companies I founded, Alaska Citrus Farms and Panama Canal Ski Slope, you probably can't buy a dinghy for a yacht. Next year at the XL center I am opening a booth selling ND merchandise. Look for it. If you want to get in before the IPO let me know.

After I posted this I thought I had a typo and had left out a bunch of X's after Lady to indicate crossed out. So I edited the post to put the X's in and hit save. But the message is still missing the X's. Does the software for this site somehow not like multiple X's and deletes them.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me offer thoughts as a Princeton Grad who adopted the Lady Huskies (even though I am no longer allowed to say that) in 1995, in January on MLK day. My wife did go to UConn for first two years, and later got an MBA from UConn, so there are some ties. Years ago, where you went mattered a lot, maybe because of the old boy network of connections. Latest studies say the average Princeton grad does better than the average UConn grad, but the average UConn grad who was qualified to get into Princeton did do just as well as the average Princeton grad. What really made the difference was the student, not the school. So the real advantage is that for an extra $200,000 I can say I went to Princeton at a cocktail party and you can't. Of course, if you took the $200,000 and invested it in Amazon or Facebook you can invite out on your yacht called the Lady Husky, with Lady (this is where the X's should be)'d out. But if you invested in the two companies I founded, Alaska Citrus Farms and Panama Canal Ski Slope, you probably can't buy a dinghy for a yacht. Next year at the XL center I am opening a booth selling ND merchandise. Look for it. If you want to get in before the IPO let me know.
After I posted this I thought I had a typo and had left out a bunch of X's after Lady to indicate crossed out. So I edited the post to put the X's in and hit save. But the message is still missing the X's. Does the software for this site somehow not like multiple X's and deletes them.
Couple of questions: You managed to used the phrase you are no longer allowed to use TWICE- intentional or nah?
A stand at he XL center selling ND merchandise? What's your wife, the one with the UCONN MBA think about that?
I might agree: " The difference is the student, not the school" but each student must first decide on a school before they can make anything of themselves. If you are qualified to get into Princeton then you are qualified to get into UCONN, why not choose the school which requires the higher credentials to get into (Princeton in this case)? Do you believe the work, skill, preparation, academic track record is the same to get into Princeton as it is to get into UCONN?

Reaction Score
I guess for the elite athlete, they face a different circumstance than most of us. For them, the cost of the school is the same, $0. So sure, go for the name if that is what is important to you, but if not, then it should all come down to the best school for what is most important to you. That might be astrophysics, or it might be basketball, or partying. But yeah, I remember when I was 18 and we all competed to see who got into which school with the most snob appeal. No clue about what we were really doing. Many years ago. Yes it is much harder to get into Princeton, but I wonder if Belle Allare (SP?) would have been better off at UConn. However, she may have no interest in the WNBA. I think she wants to become a vet. I was going to mention something with Bangert just announcing she is leaving for NC Cheat, but I may not be allowed to mention that thought, so I won't. On the ND stand, it seems like many times people on the Board have to say "it was sarcasm". Maybe we should start something, if it sarcastic post it in a color. We can all vote for our favorite color for sarcasm, and someone can announce the winner in a few days. I will vote for red, blood drips and things drip with sarcasm.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
On the ND stand, it seems like many times people on the Board have to say "it was sarcasm". Maybe we should start something, if it sarcastic post it in a color. We can all vote for our favorite color for sarcasm, and someone can announce the winner in a few days. I will vote for red, blood drips and things drip with sarcasm.

Gotta use those emojis! I favor :rolleyes: to punctuate sarcasm, but :cool:, :D, ;), :p, and even :eek: can be effective depending on the context.

When you are talking about tip-top recruits, most of them are majoring in basketball from a practical perspective. So in that sense, UConn is every bit as good as Stanford, if not better.

It can matter to the player who knows that pro basketball is a longshot, though. My favorite example is Hannah Huffman who went to ND's highly-rated business school and had a job lined up at Deloitte upon graduation.

Then again, that conversation is sort of moot with regard to UConn. They pretty much recruit players who project to have pro futures, almost exclusively.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess for the elite athlete, they face a different circumstance than most of us. For them, the cost of the school is the same, $0. So sure, go for the name if that is what is important to you, but if not, then it should all come down to the best school for what is most important to you. That might be astrophysics, or it might be basketball, or partying. But yeah, I remember when I was 18 and we all competed to see who got into which school with the most snob appeal. No clue about what we were really doing. Many years ago. Yes it is much harder to get into Princeton, but I wonder if Belle Allare (SP?) would have been better off at UConn. However, she may have no interest in the WNBA. I think she wants to become a vet. I was going to mention something with Bangert just announcing she is leaving for NC Cheat, but I may not be allowed to mention that thought, so I won't. On the ND stand, it seems like many times people on the Board have to say "it was sarcasm". Maybe we should start something, if it sarcastic post it in a color. We can all vote for our favorite color for sarcasm, and someone can announce the winner in a few days. I will vote for red, blood drips and things drip with sarcasm.
Be sure to be on the look out for sarcasm directed back at you also. It is Bella Alarie don't think UCONN was ever recruiting her but I glad take her now for UCONN if she were to decide to transfer. BTW that coach down at Duke that goes by the 3 initials did not even give Bella a look coming out of HS which pretty much pissed off her father who was an ALL-ACC player for the Bluedevils.

Reaction Score
JPM is marching in the same parade as us but she hears a different tune. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Is there any game footage of Edwards?

I posted a couple of her games with Crestwood Prep just a few days ago. As well as the Bio Steel Game where she was extremely impressive.

Here is the latter again:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Couple of questions: You managed to used the phrase you are no longer allowed to use TWICE- intentional or nah?
A stand at he XL center selling ND merchandise? What's your wife, the one with the UCONN MBA think about that?
I might agree: " The difference is the student, not the school" but each student must first decide on a school before they can make anything of themselves. If you are qualified to get into Princeton then you are qualified to get into UCONN, why not choose the school which requires the higher credentials to get into (Princeton in this case)? Do you believe the work, skill, preparation, academic track record is the same to get into Princeton as it is to get into UCONN?

The video I posted earlier explains this much more eloquently than I will (and with a lot more statistics), but I’ll give it my best go.

If I’m the at the top of my class (at any school) I’m going to be a front runner for certain opportunities. If I’m majoring in the sciences, that could be extensive lab time as an undergraduate. If I’m majoring in the humanities, it could be working directly with a professor on research he or she is doing. If I’m an engineering major, it could be a big project that the department is taking on. Y’all get where I’m going with this. Top opportunities come to top students.

Now, if I’m choosing between Princeton and UConn, I’m likely a pretty smart cookie. Think about all of the kids who go to Princeton each year that would be the top students in their respective majors at a vast majority of other schools around the country. So if I’m looking at this as a science major, Princeton and UConn both have a finite amount of lab opportunities for me to get as an undergrad (especially as an underclassman). I’m a good student at Princeton, but not a top student so I don’t get a lab position until I’m a senior. At UConn, I could have earned a similar position as a sophomore because I’m at the top of my class.

Now, it’s time for work or graduate school. UConn me has good test scores, a really high GPA, and three years of lab experience. Princeton me also has good test scores, a not quite as high but still good GPA, and one year of lab experience.

This is just one example, but there are a lot of reasons to choose top schools, but just as many, if not more, to choose a different path.

Reaction Score
The video I posted earlier explains this much more eloquently than I will (and with a lot more statistics), but I’ll give it my best go.

If I’m the at the top of my class (at any school) I’m going to be a front runner for certain opportunities. If I’m majoring in the sciences, that could be extensive lab time as an undergraduate. If I’m majoring in the humanities, it could be working directly with a professor on research he or she is doing. If I’m an engineering major, it could be a big project that the department is taking on. Y’all get where I’m going with this. Top opportunities come to top students.

Now, if I’m choosing between Princeton and UConn, I’m likely a pretty smart cookie. Think about all of the kids who go to Princeton each year that would be the top students in their respective majors at a vast majority of other schools around the country. So if I’m looking at this as a science major, Princeton and UConn both have a finite amount of lab opportunities for me to get as an undergrad (especially as an underclassman). I’m a good student at Princeton, but not a top student so I don’t get a lab position until I’m a senior. At UConn, I could have earned a similar position as a sophomore because I’m at the top of my class.

Now, it’s time for work or graduate school. UConn me has good test scores, a really high GPA, and three years of lab experience. Princeton me also has good test scores, a not quite as high but still good GPA, and one year of lab experience.

This is just one example, but there are a lot of reasons to choose top schools, but just as many, if not more, to choose a different path.

But as Sheldon tells Leonard often, " a PHD in physics from Princeton isn't worth the toilet paper it's written on." (or something to that effect) :rolleyes:;):D

Reaction Score
I generally agree with your view but whether we know the 'real' academic
opportunities across all universities are comparable is the case, many HS kids and most importantly, their families will still view some elite reputation schools as the best pick.

Extending the thought, unless you need a very specific degree in a field such as Engineering, most companies look at life experiences as a major part of their hiring process. Not discounting that other good coaches are out there and some schools have better academic reputations than UConn, but playing for the GOAT would be a great door opener.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There are more recent examples Jayne Appel and Chiney Ogwumike both chose Stanford over UCONN largely based on academics. Elizabeth Williams chose Duke over UCONN for much the same reason. Maya Dotson dropped everyone (including UCONN) from consideration the first time Stanford called her.
Anaya Peoples dropped everyone before Muffet had finished the sentence extending her an offer.
I miss @bags27, this is the time he would come in and remind ups that a you can get a very good education anywhere and that typically WCBB don't have enough time to take advantage of everything a university has to offer-He would know. I just don't understand why some people are pretending that if academics is a top priority, then UCONN is going to lose out on some recruits to Stanford, Duke, & ND.
Jayne Appel told Jackie Gemelos that she wanted to play close to home. Maybe the Stanford education was a factor for her as well, but location was important to Jayne.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But as Sheldon tells Leonard often, " a PHD in physics from Princeton isn't worth the toilet paper it's written on." (or something to that effect) :rolleyes:;):D
No. It is not the University. Sheldon's issue is that Leonard's PhD is in experimental physics. Just one step above Wolowitz's masters in Engineering.

Reaction Score
No. It is not the University. Sheldon's issue is that Leonard's PhD is in experimental physics. Just one step above Wolowitz's masters in Engineering.

I think it's the field of Experimental Physics that he's mocking. His mocking of Leonard's degree is always that it came from Princeton. West coast bias. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it's the field of Experimental Physics that he's mocking. His mocking of Leonard's degree is always that it came from Princeton. West coast bias. :rolleyes:

I am not a regular TBBT watcher but the episodes I do pick up, the denigration of leonard seems to be because he is not a theoretical physicist. I never heard anything about the university. I am guessing he is Stanford then?

It is weird that any denigration can be made of Princeton since it houses the Institute of Advanced study. :confused:

Reaction Score
I am not a regular TBBT watcher but the episodes I do pick up, the denigration of leonard seems to be because he is not a theoretical physicist. I never heard anything about the university. I am guessing he is Stanford then?

It is weird that any denigration can be made of Princeton since it houses the Institute of Advanced study. :confused:

Nothing about Sheldon's biases is rational. I always took the Princeton thing as a putdown just to pick on Leonard by both Howard and Sheldon.

Reaction Score
Just read Ervina Westbrook recently visited UConn and met with the coaching staff. She would be a great catch but needs to sit out a year. Don’t know if there would be enough playing time to satisfy her with the two European guards coming plus Williams and Page B. In 2020.

Reaction Score
I posted a couple of her games with Crestwood Prep just a few days ago. As well as the Bio Steel Game where she was extremely impressive.

Here is the latter again:

Thank you for posting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member