2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 120 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It also comes down to program, too. Less so for many athletes (especially those whose intentions are to go pro), but I still would like to throw that out there. If an athlete is looking at their life after sports, program quality matters.

I got my master’s in a pretty specialized field at UConn, and their program is, arguably, the top in the county.
I agree about masters degree and specialization but kids are there during undergraduate time. Therefore if an athlete has a strong interest in a field after pro or amateur career then it would seem that a persons resume from Stanford and Duke most likely would look better when applying for masters or PhD program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not for nothing...but, for a Public University...UConn ranks up there pretty high. UConn's nickname is: "public ivy"
UCONN is a great public university but let's not get carried away. When compared to Duke, ND or Stanford the selectivity (acceptance rate) tells you everything you need to know.
Acceptance Rates for 2019
Stanford 4.36%
Duke 5.7%
ND 19%
UCONN 48 %.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn was on her list and I’m pretty sure she visited the school twice. How do you pass on a 6ft 5 post player. I think Gusters will wind up at Baylor where she will probably start and team up with Cox. Another big front court. Don’t know why Geno is having such a hard time recruiting bigs these past couple of years. If you look at his past successes Lobo, Wolters, Charles, Dolson etc. even Katie Lou was 6’3”. Notre Dame and Baylor destroyed us off the boards during the season and tournament. Both teams had so many offensive and defensive rebounds against I lost count. All I could do was swear at the t.v.
If Gusters winds up at Baylor, she won't be teaming up with Cox.

Reaction Score
Lots of kids visit UCONN. 5 of the top 7 Kids in 2020 class have visited UCONN (Paige, Cameron Brink, Hailey, Angel Reese & Hannah Gusters.

Marshall was likely not offered by UCONN because her recruiting prioritized academics above everything. It was either going to be ND or Stanford. Hell even Duke stood a better chance with her than UCONN did.
That based on her public statements which I'm sure the UCONN staff either sensed or knew before those public statements.
UCONN is a great public university but let's not get carried away. When compared to Duke, ND or Stanford the selectivity (acceptance rate) tells you everything you need to know.
Stanford 4.36%
Duke 5.7%
ND 19%
UCONN 48 %.
Agreed. Stanford and duke is a tier above ND that’s why I left them off my previous post. But they would be up there
Another topic. Now that Anna has committed what is your list of recruits that you’d like to see commit to UConn. Transfers and 2020/2021 classes. You can rank overall.

I’ve got:
1. Fudd
2. Gusters/Camilla C
3. Edwards
4. Deberry
5. Reese/Westbrook

Reaction Score
UConn already has 2 from 2020. 4 would be a big class for UConn. And I don't see Geno taking more than 7 over the next 2 years unless he expands his roster past his ideal 10. If he fills his roster with 8+ from 2020/21 then it's going to be tough finding elite players in the next 2 classes willing to sit 2 years. While I have read about the above list of players I simply don't know them well but I'd go with 1 (no-brainer) and both of 2 (size size). Edwards intrigues me too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A plethora of Aaliyah Edwards skills on display in the next few posts.

First, a turnaround jumper off glass in the post:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And if you want a mixture of Edwards' abilities including guarding the point guard out front:

Reaction Score
I see UConn just recruited another European player Anna Makurat and she is eligible to play immediately. Don’t know much about her except she is about 6’ guard. Still no height yet. If this year looked pretty bad rebounding against good teams wait until next season with Collier and Samuelson gone. Don’t know how Geno is going to find playing time for all these guards 2020 Page and Nika Muhl, plus Griffin, Williams, and Walker. I consider Walker to be more of a small forward/guard.

Reaction Score
It also comes down to program, too. Less so for many athletes (especially those whose intentions are to go pro), but I still would like to throw that out there. If an athlete is looking at their life after sports, program quality matters.

I got my master’s in a pretty specialized field at UConn, and their program is, arguably, the top in the county.

that wasn't ice cream making was it?........................:rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jasmine Lister's newest follower on IG is the AAU program West Coast Premier. Their biggest name, from what I can tell, is "Kiki" Iriafen, a 2021 forward from California. She's ranked 6th at ESPN and 18th at PN and just played at Boo Williams.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
that wasn't ice cream making was it?....:rolleyes:

Ha, no, but I did find my way to the Dairy Bar more often than I should have. I walked from our office so it was okay, right?

Reaction Score
Ha, no, but I did find my way to the Dairy Bar more often than I should have. I walked from our office so it was okay, right?

exactly.................a little ice cream never hurt anybody, while they're in college any way.....................

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn was on her list and I’m pretty sure she visited the school twice. How do you pass on a 6ft 5 post player.
Lot of reasons. She wasn't that interested. They didn't think she'd fit into the program. She was looking for something UCONN couldn't offer, parents, etc. etc. etc. Could have been any number of things.

Notre Dame and Baylor destroyed us off the boards during the season and tournament. Both teams had so many offensive and defensive rebounds against I lost count. All I could do was swear at the t.v.
Well they were counted.

ND game 1 - UCONN 46, ND 41

Baylor - UCONN 43, Baylor 46

ND game 2 - UCONN 37, ND 54

So, 1 (one) game we got destroyed.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I agree about masters degree and specialization but kids are there during undergraduate time. Therefore if an athlete has a strong interest in a field after pro or amateur career then it would seem that a persons resume from Stanford and Duke most likely would look better when applying for masters or PhD program.

If I'm majoring in Unmanned Aircraft Operations, for example, those "elite schools" don't even offer my major. Programs are still super important.

And it depends on what you were able to do in your undergrad. You're right, to some extent, that if you take an athlete from Stanford and an athlete from UConn, both with biology degrees who only went to class and played their sport, the Stanford degree holder will have a slight edge. But if you're an athlete who is preparing for a career after college, the best opportunities for you may not be at those cream of the crop, elite schools.

If you have kids, especially, this Malcolm Gladwell talk is fantastic.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agreed. Stanford and duke is a tier above ND that’s why I left them off my previous post. But they would be up there
Another topic. Now that Anna has committed what is your list of recruits that you’d like to see commit to UConn. Transfers and 2020/2021 classes. You can rank overall.
I’ve got:
1. Fudd
2. Gusters/Camilla C
3. Edwards
4. Deberry
5. Reese/Westbrook

I'm not ready to write off the 2019-20 season yet so my first priority is a graduate transfer, JUCO or foreign player to start at the power forward position alongside ONO next season. With Anna and Aubrey coming on board I think you have a solid 5 players that can rotate from positions 1-3. If Westbrook signs up that will be 6 players and the most depth I can ever remember UCONN having at those 3 positions. What I don't want is for UCONN to have a wing player Megan, Evina, or Anna masquerading as a power forward next season.

For the class of 2020 I disagree with @Alydar the minimum number for that class is 5 IMO. UCONN will be graduating 4 seniors and 3 of the players in the junior class have transferred out.

Prioritized wish list for 2020
1) Gusters or Cardosa (5)
2) Bessior or Edwards or Dalayah Daniels (3/4)
3) Olivia Cochran or Lauren Ware or Angel Reese (4)

Prioritized wish list for 2021
1) Azzi Fudd or Olivia Miles (1/2)
2) Amari Deberry or Jillian Hollingshead or Latasha Lattimore (4)
3) Sonia Citron or Saylor Poffenbarger or Taylor Bigby or Caroline Ducharme or Brooke Demetre or Rayah Marshall (2/3)

Reaction Score
grade system to
Stanford 4.36%
Duke 5.7%
ND 19%
UCONN 48 %.

As an outsider to the Amer. system, but being someone w/ a good grasps of systems of making a school, program, institut., etc. great, I find it interesting how willing people are to put statistics out there with no critical eye for the interests and logic behind them. Stanford, Duke and ND might be great univ., but that has nothing to do with 'acceptance rates." One might say that the pool in which they fish in is rather small. The more expensive the smaller the pool. Once the pecking order is accomplished there are secondary tier systems (elite h.s with their inflated systems to feed students into these elite univ. But you and others are right. I have been on admissions and hiring committees in which colleagues argued for students/staff based on indices that were 'criminal' No way someone from xxx would get that position over yyy. In my view no student athlete (and even none ath) can take full advantage of what a univ has to offer-- short of cheating. So, academically, student A saying she has chosen Stanford over Uconn because of the latter academics is just TALK. Were she to come out a 'better' from going to Stanford than Uconn may owe more to peer pressure to perform. Nothing like finding out that your fellow students not only read the papers for this week, but they looked at 5 others, and take pride in speaking well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom