2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 118 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Angel Reese clips from Boo Williams. She considers herself a guard and likes to control things. Still don't see why UConn believes she's a fit.

Sounds like Wilson-redux. Some coaches will promise her a guard position, figuring the reality of guarding actual guards will solve the issue. I think a lot of this "I'm a guard" talk is really "I don't intend to spend 4 years banging in the low post and setting screens". Any forward recruit looking at UConn knows that if you have a perimeter game or are a great passer there is room outside for them. They may not dribble much but no one does.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese clips from Boo Williams. She considers herself a guard and likes to control things. Still don't see why UConn believes she's a fit.

AAU ball is so much different from the college game...................AAU is where some recruits will play out of position just for the experience if the coach allows...............I doubt that Reese believes she's going to be a guard at the next level................the fact that she enjoys passing/assists is a good thing.........................whether she's right for UConn is a fair question that I will leave to those that would be coaching her................

Reaction Score
Sounds like Wilson-redux. Some coaches will promise her a guard position, figuring the reality of guarding actual guards will solve the issue. I think a lot of this "I'm a guard" talk is really "I don't intend to spend 4 years banging in the low post and setting screens". Any forward recruit looking at UConn knows that if you have a perimeter game or are a great passer there is room outside for them. They may not dribble much but no one does.
So true. Any player who wants to dribble isn't UConn material. It's all about passing at UConn to get the ball where it needs to go.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reese is a capable and willing passer--she's proven that. It's just that her style is to kinda control the ball at all times. Sort of like James Harden without the shooting ability.

Sounds like Wilson-redux. Some coaches will promise her a guard position, figuring the reality of guarding actual guards will solve the issue. I think a lot of this "I'm a guard" talk is really "I don't intend to spend 4 years banging in the low post and setting screens".

Wilson though played mainly in the post and high post for South Carolina because Wilson had a strong interior game. Wilson was always considered a center or post player. Reese on the other hand gets labled a wing and calls herself a guard. I wouldn't expect her to do a lot of banging because that's not her game. Reese wants to drive the ball and find people from the perimeter. I'm just don't see that as a UConn fit though her passing skills would be of value. Reese is almost a positionless player, but you have to figure out who she can play with.

Reaction Score
I sure like what the staff has done with players like Lou, Collier, and Cash, I would love to see what they could do with Reese who should be able to play a combo forward and likely 2-3 year starter at UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's true, but there aren't many Gabby Williams' around. She's pretty special.

Reaction Score
Reese is a capable and willing passer--she's proven that. It's just that her style is to kinda control the ball at all times. Sort of like James Harden without the shooting ability.

Wilson though played mainly in the post and high post for South Carolina because Wilson had a strong interior game. Wilson was always considered a center or post player. Reese on the other hand gets labled a wing and calls herself a guard. I wouldn't expect her to do a lot of banging because that's not her game. Reese wants to drive the ball and find people from the perimeter. I'm just don't see that as a UConn fit though her passing skills would be of value. Reese is almost a positionless player, but you have to figure out who she can play with.

I don't know, she gets a fair number of rebounds for a kid who doesn't like to play inside............I've seen plenty of videos illustrating her offensive rebounding prowess which seems to be needed as she missed multiple layups...........she's a tough one to categorize

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She scores, rebounds, assists and has length to guard multiple positions. Can you elaborate on why she couldn’t be a fit?
She is 6'3" and very unorthodox. It was only a year ago that she settled on which hand to shoot with. That is not an ambidextrous thing because she is not a good outside shooter with either hand. If she wants to play wing she would need to be much better shooter to fit the UCONN offense. She seems to like to handle the ball and "control things" (her words) that is not UCONN either unless you are the point guard and leading the break in transition. The other parts of her gme are also "unrefined" she does not know how to set a screen. Bad body language was a major concern during her High school season as was her tendency to play disinterested for major stretches of the game. Just think there are much better UCONN fits in this very talented class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have watched quite a bit of tape on Reese and I don't see her as a UConn fit either. She is freakishly athletic, but an extremely raw basketball player at this point. There are also some other questions about whether she carries herself on the court in a UConn manner. I believe UConn is doing their due diligence on her because there is no denying the athletic ability, but I would be surprised to see her end up at UConn,

Reaction Score
So many people said the exact same thing about Westbrook and no one wanting her near Storrs because she wasn’t a UConn fit. She showed up on a visit and then it seemed a lot switched their minds. I would give Reese a chance solely because we need bodies and she is an athlete.

Reaction Score
She is 6'3" and very unorthodox. It was only a year ago that she settled on which hand to shoot with. That is not an ambidextrous thing because she is not a good outside shooter with either hand. If she wants to play wing she would need to be much better shooter to fit the UCONN offense. She seems to like to handle the ball and "control things" (her words) that is not UCONN either unless you are the point guard and leading the break in transition. The other parts of her gme are also "unrefined" she does not know how to set a screen. Bad body language was a major concern during her High school season as was her tendency to play disinterested for major stretches of the game. Just think there are much better UCONN fits in this very talented class.
I really do not understand this “Reese thing”. Since she has visited UConn I am sure the coaches have evaluated her court and off court value. If she has an actual offer she must have passed the test. It is not like UConn only has a few spots for potential recruits. If there is a better team makeup then she would ride the bench. So to summarize my thoughts if she has an offer and she is not taking up a scholarship from someone why would UConn fans not want her on the team?

Reaction Score
I have watched quite a bit of tape on Reese and I don't see her as a UConn fit either. She is freakishly athletic, but an extremely raw basketball player at this point. There are also some other questions about whether she carries herself on the court in a UConn manner. I believe UConn is doing their due diligence on her because there is no denying the athletic ability, but I would be surprised to see her end up at UConn,

Like most of these recruits, Reese is a 16/17 year old unrefined basketball player that hasn't reached her ceiling. The fact that she is 6'3 and has ability to put the ball on the floor and make decisions is a bonus for her and any program that gets her. I don't see her as a PG or SG but I could see her ranging from 3, 4 and 5 spots with ability to initiate a fast break and also facilitating from the high post. She looks agile and athletic enough to run the court which is another bonus. With right coaching and culture I believe she could somewhat mirror Gabby Williams as stated in a previous post.

Reaction Score
Like most of these recruits, Reese is a 16/17 year old unrefined basketball player that hasn't reached her ceiling. The fact that she is 6'3 and has ability to put the ball on the floor and make decisions is a bonus for her and any program that gets her. I don't see her as a PG or SG but I could see her ranging from 3, 4 and 5 spots with ability to initiate a fast break and also facilitating from the high post. She looks agile and athletic enough to run the court which is another bonus. With right coaching and culture I believe she could somewhat mirror Gabby Williams as stated in a previous post.
I really do not understand this “Reese thing”. Since she has visited UConn I am sure the coaches have evaluated her court and off court value. If she has an actual offer she must have passed the test. It is not like UConn only has a few spots for potential recruits. If there is a better team makeup then she would ride the bench. So to summarize my thoughts if she has an offer and she is not taking up a scholarship from someone why would UConn fans not want her on the team?
Isn’t Reese’s game similar to Katie Lou’s when she first arrived at UConn. Both play the wing although Katie Lou seems to be much better from 3 point range. Both are good ball handlers. I’ve watched Katie Lou bring the ball up court numerous times acting more like a guard than not. Katie Lou matured into a much better overall ball player under Geno and CD’S direction. Whose to say that won’t happen with Reese. Whose to say Reese will even come to UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is not that hard to understand. I can guarantee you that the coaches POV is completely different than mine. I.e., I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG about her-this would not be the first time. I will fully embrace her if and when she becomes a UCONN Husky. Until then, IMO there are better UCONN fits in this class at that position.

Reaction Score
It is not that hard to understand. I can guarantee you that the coaches POV is completely different than mine. I.e., I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG about her-this would not be the first time. I will fully embrace her if and when she becomes a UCONN Husky. Until then, IMO there are better UCONN fits in this class at that position.

When you say better fits, would you be referring to her not being immediate help, compared to others recruits or just overall talent doesn't fit UCONN?

For me, I don't see Reese as a must play player right away. Some technical things will have to be fine tuned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When you say better fits, would you be referring to her not being immediate help, compared to others recruits or just overall talent doesn't fit UCONN?
For me, I don't see Reese as a must play player right away. Some technical things will have to be fine tuned.
Certainly that is part of it. UCONN needs to land a big in the 2020 class that is an immediate contributor.
Again IMO there are quite a few more forwards more ready to make that contribution on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom