2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I take it Williams was also suspended? If she hits the portal I’m sure she’ll get a lot of attention.
Williams got hurt in the ACC tournament, probably had a concussion kept her out of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Trasi wasn’t all that great but I mean clearly she was the best we had when we never played a freshmen or sophomore capable of giving us more. The others leaving isn’t a big deal but there hasn’t been any announcements of the other seniors if they are coming back or not
I want to feel optimistic that Cherry comes back. But nothing indicates that she will. Cherry to me had the ability to show up in big games like SC, and A&M. Then she had foul troubles or just wasn't in the rotation at times.

This is just too much. No big losses with the transfers. But we are also not attractive enough for the transfer portal either lol

We dang sure could use the Hayes sisters lol

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but she is practically engaged to Kevin Richardson, former Hog football player and now GA in the U of Illinois football program. They’ve been apart for a couple years, and they are looking to be more settled. I expect Mason to land somewhere Illinois-adjacent. Great kid. (So is Weaver, fwiw.)
DePaul?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Doesn't quite belong here I guess, but Jasmine Simmons is leaving Oregon St. and returning to Australia. I thought she was a big pickup for them, but just never really developed during her 3 years at OSU.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding bitter, cynical, or even late to the party I am ready to call the transfer portal what it is: free agency.

I get that some players find themselves in bad situations sometimes with coaching changes, homesickness, or get stuck on the bench when they really want to play. There are plenty of good reasons to transfer to another program and there is nothing wrong with a young person exploring their options.

The sheer number of players who transfer now is mind blowing and the number who transfer more than once tells me that it's not about correcting a previously bad decision. The idea no one sits out was communicated as "don't punish the player when coaches can do it" but the NCAA seems to have done this for the coaches, not the players, as there is the immediate gratification in getting to be recruited over again by another program, join a new team and play immediately.

The genie is out of the bottle, has been building this way for sometime, and there isn't a program around that hasn't benefited and it is the new nature of the beast. It doesn't mean I have to like it though. I will adjust, it will just take me some time.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding bitter, cynical, or even late to the party I am ready to call the transfer portal what it is: free agency.

I get that some players find themselves in bad situations sometimes with coaching changes, homesickness, or get stuck on the bench when they really want to play. There are plenty of good reasons to transfer to another program and there is nothing wrong with a young person exploring their options.

The sheer number of players who transfer now is mind blowing and the number who transfer more than once tells me that it's not about correcting a previously bad decision. The idea no one sits out was communicated as "don't punish the player when coaches can do it" but the NCAA seems to have done this for the coaches, not the players, as there is the immediate gratification in getting to be recruited over again by another program, join a new team and play immediately.

The genie is out of the bottle, has been building this way for sometime, and there isn't a program around that hasn't benefited and it is the new nature of the beast. It doesn't mean I have to like it though. I will adjust, it will just take me some time.
As a fan of the team that gets ridiculed the most about transfers I can see where you're coming from. However, some players have put some thought about their transfer decision. Lexie Brown for instance wanted to play closer to home so her mother can see her play and also wanted to play for a team in the ACC. And she just came from playing for a team that made two consecutive Final 4s.

Coaching changes used to be the #1 reason but now it seem like it has become free agency. It's like the NFL, NHL and NBA when players can go to any team but without salary camp implications. Players now see major P5 schools like they are going to the Lakers. Chance for a national championship.

Reaction Score
As a fan of the team that gets ridiculed the most about transfers I can see where you're coming from. However, some players have put some thought about their transfer decision. Lexie Brown for instance wanted to play closer to home so her mother can see her play and also wanted to play for a team in the ACC. And she just came from playing for a team that made two consecutive Final 4s.

Coaching changes used to be the #1 reason but now it seem like it has become free agency. It's like the NFL, NHL and NBA when players can go to any team but without salary camp implications. Players now see major P5 schools like they are going to the Lakers. Chance for a national championship.
I agree there are more than just a couple of examples of players who transferred for the right reasons. In pre portal times I think players had to have some idea of where they wanted to go and why before entering their name. Brown wanted to play closer to home and be in the ACC. That's a good reason to explore other options. Now I get the impression players who are a little dissatisfied or think they can grab a brass ring put their names in to see what sticks and see who grabs them up. I don't even think some are that unhappy but rather just want a change. Transferring isn't a bad thing but I am unconvinced this many players made a bad decision in high school, had a coaching change, suddenly got homesick, found themselves at the end of a rotation, or wish to pursue a graduate degree that can't be obtained at their existing school.

Just some minor rants from a middle aged guy who liked all college sports more when there was more loyalty to a program or school (that goes for the coaches as well).

Reaction Score
I agree there are more than just a couple of examples of players who transferred for the right reasons. In pre portal times I think players had to have some idea of where they wanted to go and why before entering their name. Brown wanted to play closer to home and be in the ACC. That's a good reason to explore other options. Now I get the impression players who are a little dissatisfied or think they can grab a brass ring put their names in to see what sticks and see who grabs them up. I don't even think some are that unhappy but rather just want a change. Transferring isn't a bad thing but I am unconvinced this many players made a bad decision in high school, had a coaching change, suddenly got homesick, found themselves at the end of a rotation, or wish to pursue a graduate degree that can't be obtained at their existing school.

Just some minor rants from a middle aged guy who liked all college sports more when there was more loyalty to a program or school (that goes for the coaches as well).

Not a minor rant at all in my opinion. I've been wondering the same especially this year. Your point about the number of players is valid in my view.

Reaction Score
Not a minor rant at all in my opinion. I've been wondering the same especially this year. Your point about the number of players is valid in my view.
Thanks. I say minor because I'm literally not impacted by this at all other than as a fan. I will still be one and goodness knows I spend too much time thinking about it sometimes but I was pondering last night while watching Zona and A&M just how many of those ladies started at other programs then pondered how many are already in the portal for this year and we aren't even finished with the tournament or a typical college semester.

Reaction Score
Doesn't quite belong here I guess, but Jasmine Simmons is leaving Oregon St. and returning to Australia. I thought she was a big pickup for them, but just never really developed during her 3 years at OSU.
No hint of this yet but wondering about Oregon’s Aussie Jaz Shelley taking that path with Paopao seeming to have locked down the PG position. Ducks have lost a couple of Aussies in the past couple of years that way.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I say minor because I'm literally not impacted by this at all other than as a fan. I will still be one and goodness knows I spend too much time thinking about it sometimes but I was pondering last night while watching Zona and A&M just how many of those ladies started at other programs then pondered how many are already in the portal for this year and we aren't even finished with the tournament or a typical college semester.

This is topic I've had with friends who follow or have kids playing for teams for some time, especially with the new transfer rule pending. It's definitely on the minds of a lot of people regardless if they're fans or more involved because their kids are playing.

The level of basketball we've seen this tournament has been impressive. I think it's showing that teams can succeed both ways. Some of the Elite 8 teams will be there thanks to players transferring, while others because of their players developing within the programs they committed to. Hopefully things calm down over the next year or so.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Vol nation is saying Zay Green is in the portal
Don't remember the last time I saw her play this season at A&M. As someone else said, perhaps it is injury-related.

Guessing she would be a grad-transfer, but not positive.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Don't remember the last time I saw her play this season at A&M. As someone else said, perhaps it is injury-related.

Guessing she would be a grad-transfer, but not positive.
She played about 3 minutes in their game against Iowa State and 15 minutes against Troy. So, if it was injury related, it happened in the last four days. I don't know why that would remove her from the bench, though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've thought of it that way for quite a while. The situation is approaching ludicrous now with all the players entering the portal.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think many folks want to believe that prior to the creation of the transfer portal in October 2018, the really good players were staying put because they were "happy". In reality, most were probably staying put because their head coaches were making it very difficult for them to transfer since they wouldn't grant them a full release, or wanted to put conditions on their release (such as which schools they would not be allowed to transfer to).

The portal is working, IMO. Coaches should not hold all the power. Player should be able to move on as they see fit.

As for immediate eligibility, that's a separate issue. When the portal was created, there was no immediate eligibility in the main sports.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I too wish there was more loyalty in college sports and in society in general. I do prefer this uniform system where 1st time transfers do not have to sit as opposed to the prior schizophrenic waiver application process. If I remember correctly you may as well.

Reaction Score
I feel the NCAA created this problem with their rediculous and inconsistent transfer and eligibility rulings. They failed to see that the aganda for players playing college ball had changed from just being a means to gst a scholarship to one where they are using it to get ready for a professional career. What is happening now is just a consequence of their entirely too redgid standards. Had they had a more reasonable standard to begin with it would not have created the open the flood gate reaction that we have now.

I personally believe that they really relaxed the standards because they were afraid someone would take them to court. I personally don't like the way it seems to have headed. It is not really in anyones long term best interests. They should have corrected their past policies with something more reasonable, such as allowing everyone a free transfer after their freshman year. Or say giving everyone on free transfer.Or even more important holding those that made decisions accountable for their rationals.

Reaction Score
This pandemic has caused some of this portal hysteria too and I would imagine it will continue a couple of years, though maybe not at this rate. Players have committed for next year without getting official visits. Since this is a free year and all players aren't going to be drafted it would be smart to stay in school another year and get free education. If this many athletes are using their one FREE transfer this year they no longer have that free "pass" to move on. I agree though it's like free agency. Then wait until they do the NIL thing. Don't you think players are going to want to go to schools where WBB is important? I would think that would favor places like UConn, SC, Baylor, Louisville, etc. If your school doesn't value WBB it makes sense that there's not going to be a lot of value in your services. Just some random thoughts on all that's going on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this year is going to be (and likely the next three as well) anomalous because of the fifth year option on eligibility. That is going to inflate the grad xfer numbers in part because of players who want a free year of a masters program that isn't available at their current school. And in part because I suspect some coaches will encourage a fourth year recruit to look elsewhere for their fifth year.

I don't know what previous years have been like but at the moment 33% of the transfers are grad xfer and I suspect a large percentage of them have used 4 years of eligibility already and would not be eligible in any prior year. Paging through Raoul's list there are schools with 4 or 5 grad xfers in the portal.

Also around 80% of the transfer locations already identified are going to non-P5 schools and 85% of those transferring so far are from non-P5 programs. I am not sure this indicates any significant change at the top of the women's basketball hierarchy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder what the stats are for girls who go into the transfer portal and dont hook on with another team at D1, or D2, D3, or NAIA. It seems we see more going in than coming out. Maybe its my perception. Does Raoul ever post stats like that?

Reaction Score
Remember that the next couple of years are going to be outliers -- all the players have effectively been granted a fifth year. They play 4 years, complete their degree, and then know they can go almost anywhere, play immediately, and get a free year of grad school. Gonna be hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom