2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The portal is just getting warmed up this year.
It’s gonna be interesting to see how or teams like Baylor, UCONN, Louisville, SC, Texas and the remaining teams use it if they choose.

Let’s be real, if you want to win a natty, there are only a select crop of programs capable of doing it. I feel some of the big fish will be waiting it out till the season ends to see what their options are

Reaction Score
It’s gonna be interesting to see how or teams like Baylor, UCONN, Louisville, SC, Texas and the remaining teams use it if they choose.

Let’s be real, if you want to win a natty, there are only a select crop of programs capable of doing it. I feel some of the big fish will be waiting it out till the season ends to see what their options are
I was wondering the exact same thing. In my opinion, UConn's roster is pretty crowded as is for next season, so I can’t imagine Geno dipping into the portal this year. This is 100% based on speculation, so I could be wrong. Maybe if the staff feels like there is someone they can’t pass up on, they will offer.

I can’t really speak to the other teams as I am less familiar with roster needs and incoming recruits, but from a UConn standpoint it’s hard for me to picture.

Reaction Score
I’m trying to comprehend where all of these transfers will end up. It feels like most rosters next year will all be very different than anticipated.
Right. Like unless they go to teams like Duke. Who needs players. Or Mississippi state.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Because we should all be adults and understand that there is a difference between student-athletes and students.

So student athletes should be penalized for being athletes? I'm not following your argument.

Not saying they should, but what's different is the school is paying for their tuition, room, board, etc. It's not the same situation as a student paying their own way. So a case could be made there should be some obligation on the scholarship student athlete's part. ??

The only sports that require students to sit out a year are men's/women's basketball, men's ice hockey, football, and men's baseball. Every other NCAA sport allows players to transfer and become immediately eligible. Most of those sports provide full scholarships as well and there is zero repercussion. I'm guessing it comes down to money, but I think it's BS that certain athletes get complete freedom while others are penalized. Furthermore, the players who are penalized for transferring play on higher revenue sports that fund the low revenue ones where players have complete freedom.

Another thing-- 4 year scholarships are not guaranteed. Players get asked to leave programs all of time and are essentially forced to uproot their lives, go through recruitment again and transfer to a brand new situation if they want to keep a scholarship. Not all players are dying to leave their program and transfer, yet they're basically forced out or told they'll ride the bench for their career and then have to sit out for a year should they leave.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yea this makes no sense to me. She had an AA caliber season, was one of the best Freshman in the country Shot 51% overall, 45% from deep and 90% from the charity stripe. Rutgers made the tournament and the # 1 offensive option Guirantes is likely moving on to the WNBA. I guess that old adage applies: "some people can be unhappy anywhere".

Considering we don't know anything about Diamond personally or her situation, I think that's a pretty unfair statement to apply to her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

This is a surprise.

Per this article, it says she chose Rutgers in part due to proximity to home after her dad passed away. Not a ton of high profile programs in the northeast besides UCONN and Maryland.

Her other finalists were South Carolina (which seems doubtful as a transfer destination considering how deep SC will be), Boston College and UVA. She'll be a massive pickup wherever she ends up.

Reaction Score
Yea this makes no sense to me. She had an AA caliber season, was one of the best Freshman in the country Shot 51% overall, 45% from deep and 90% from the charity stripe. Rutgers made the tournament and the # 1 offensive option Guirantes is likely moving on to the WNBA. I guess that old adage applies: "some people can be unhappy anywhere".
People can play well while also not being happy with any factor of things. Coaching relationship, team chemistry, facilities, trainers, off the court things, etc. hope she lands somewhere where she will continue to be successful on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Considering we don't know anything about Diamond personally or her situation, I think that's a pretty unfair statement to apply to her.
You are probably right but I don't think I need to know anything personal about Diamond for the adage to apply. I'm looking at the situation, (which I took the time to describe) I said the same think about Shakira Austin last year. Austin appears to have landed in a better situation and I hope Diamond does as well.

Reaction Score
You are probably right but I don't think I need to know anything personal about Diamond for the adage to apply. I'm looking at the situation, (which I took the time to describe) I said the same think about Shakira Austin last year. Austin appears to have landed in a better situation and I hope Diamond does as well.
Wouldn't be surprised if that be a duo

Reaction Score
Syracuse seems to have several players leaving per this article. One looks like a grad transfer and the other a junior. They were not part of the 4 players who were suspended at the end of the season.

Finklea-Guity and Djaldi Tabdi were both in the class of 2017, so they should have graduated. All three were top-40 players.

Reaction Score
Per this article, it says she chose Rutgers in part due to proximity to home after her dad passed away. Not a ton of high profile programs in the northeast besides UCONN and Maryland.

Her other finalists were South Carolina (which seems doubtful as a transfer destination considering how deep SC will be), Boston College and UVA. She'll be a massive pickup wherever she ends up.
Penn State, the Philly schools, Delaware could be great landing spots for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Grad xfer is a completely different beast (and juniors are often grad transfers as well as seniors.) Grad transfers are usually not planning basketball careers but professional careers, and the grad school choice is often not available or not as good at their original school, so they are actually shopping for an academic program that playing basketball will pay for.

And with this past year being a 'free year' in terms of eligibility a lot of graduating athletes have a unique opportunity to get a free head start on a masters degree with their fifth playing year. And that will be true for 3 more years.

Uconn with 5.5 freshman this year, a class of 3.5 freshman next year, and 2 more committed for the following year - all really good players - probably isn't shopping. Most coaches preference is to coach players 4 years, and getting a 2 year player is frustrating as there is a learning curve and then leave just as they really start to get it. With no sit out year, you at least get to start right away and are less likely to have a good transfer bolt a year early for a pro career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
8a17baa38518709469915741d11cea1a.gif

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Barring any transfers out we’re at 14 for the fall... doubt we’re in the market for transfers unless it’s one of the best players in the country..... like a Rickea Jackson lol

If Grissett stays (which is possible due to her injury) we’re at 15 as well.

Reaction Score
Finklea-Guity and Djaldi Tabdi were both in the class of 2017, so they should have graduated. All three were top-40 players.

She's listed as a junior per Syracuse's roster. Could still be a grad transfer if she's earned her degree I guess.

Still, this team is losing a large portion of their upperclassmen it seems.

Reaction Score
Barring any transfers out we’re at 14 for the fall... doubt we’re in the market for transfers unless it’s one of the best players in the country..... like a Rickea Jackson lol

I don’t see SC, UCONN and Stanford using it much given how large and stacked their recruiting classes and teams are.

Baylor seems to have taken a different approach in recent years with small recruiting classes and supplementing through the portal. Not that they still don’t recruit top kids but it seems their pool is smaller.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

The NCAA has already mandated that returning seniors will not count against that program's scholarship limit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's listed as a junior per Syracuse's roster. Could still be a grad transfer if she's earned her degree I guess. Still, this team is losing a large portion of their upperclassmen it seems.
Under the new NCAA transfer rules "grad transfer" is a dead concept unless, the player previously transferred. All first time transfers will be immediate eligible.

Reaction Score
She's listed as a junior per Syracuse's roster. Could still be a grad transfer if she's earned her degree I guess.

Still, this team is losing a large portion of their upperclassmen it seems.
Redshirt junior, not junior. Big difference academically, but as @CocoHusky mentioned, a grad-transfer will likely be a moot point going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom