2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LSU lost O'Neal as well. Another player who was not gonna play... I don't see how they can't dig in the portal and get some talent.

Fargas may not be on my good side lately. But.. she can possibly make up a pitch. Being we always in the middle of the pact in the conference.

I do agree. The Juco route definitely did not do us any honor.
O’Neal was a walk on, I thought she went to LSU to join her brother, to bad Nikki couldn’t keep her, little sister could turn out to be a good one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Juco route definitely did not do us any honor.
I'm trying to think of a Juco who has had a big impact at any school. I'm sure there must be a few. With the ever increasing number of transfers and now immediate eligibility, recruiting the Juco ranks seems completely unneeded.

Reaction Score
LSU lost O'Neal as well. Another player who was not gonna play... I don't see how they can't dig in the portal and get some talent.

Fargas may not be on my good side lately. But.. she can possibly make up a pitch. Being we always in the middle of the pact in the conference.

I do agree. The Juco route definitely did not do us any honor.
I think getting a big transfer at this point will be more difficult than usual with the writing on the wall. She will be in the last year of her contact. I don’t see us (even getting a couple decent transfers) making the NCAAT with Pointer and Aifuwa gone. Minimal talent and zero chemistry will be a glaring issue.

Reaction Score
O’Neal was a walk on, I thought she went to LSU to join her brother, to bad Nikki couldn’t keep her, little sister could turn out to be a good one.
That's true. Forgot she wasn't on a scholarship. But... We lost a good amount of players. Although they was not SEC caliber.. Fargas gonna have to make a pitch. Or she's gonna have us being the next Auburn.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of a Juco who has had a big impact at any school. I'm sure there must be a few. With the ever increasing number of transfers and now immediate eligibility, recruiting the Juco ranks seems completely unneeded.
The last one with a major impact that comes to mind is Danielle Adams at Texas A&M.

Reaction Score
Her sister is the really good one. Hopefully our program is moving in a good direction by the time she decides in a few years.

Reaction Score
I think getting a big transfer at this point will be more difficult than usual with the writing on the wall. She will be in the last year of her contact. I don’t see us (even getting a couple decent transfers) making the NCAAT with Pointer and Aifuwa gone. Minimal talent and zero chemistry will be a glaring issue.
Yeah. I'm optimistic her contract will not be renewed. May be better to start over.

Reaction Score
Not that Oklahoma State had any major success, but Natasha Mack had a huge impact. A healthy Mangakahia was also superb. Tolefree had a good senior season for Arkansas.

Interested to see how the two at Texas do next season. It’s surely a rarity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Adut Bulgak FSU
Danielle Adams Texas A&M
Natasha Mack Ok State
Eyelyn Akhator Kentucky

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah. I'm optimistic her contract will not be renewed. May be better to start over.
I don’t see any rational reason to retain her. The program is in a much worse state currently than when she took over. It’s been 10 years, she honestly probably should have been gone sooner

on paper, it seemed like a good hire at the time but it didn’t work out. She simply can’t recruit well enough or maintain rosters to be competitive with the top dogs. I’m still amazed how awful her recruiting is, I just don’t get that aspect. Either she is lazy or terrible at connecting with young athletes.... or both

Reaction Score
Barring any transfers out we’re at 14 for the fall... doubt we’re in the market for transfers unless it’s one of the best players in the country..... like a Rickea Jackson lol

If Grissett stays (which is possible due to her injury) we’re at 15 as well.

I've wondered if a three and D wing came along if they'd consider it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I've seen a report on The Bench, via Chantel Jennings, that Diamond Johnson has entered the portal out of Rutgers. There's so many hitting today it's hard to keep up, but if so, the #6 Hoopgurlz recruit is setting sail out of central Jersey after a mere year. Could Guirantees and Mack graduating influenced her?

Thought she played great this year. NC State and S. Carolina were her other finalists....

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bobbitt TN was a huge success out of Juco - two NCs as starting PG.
The portal is exploding with players, but I am not seeing a huge explosion of talent in there. A lot of middle of the roster players and a few blue chippers. Could strengthen middle of conference teams or bottom dwellers, but will they change the top of the conferences?

I think the biggest effect may be on the teams losing players than on the general landscape of the ranked teams. There is still time for surprises but ...

Reaction Score
I don’t see any rational reason to retain her. The program is in a much worse state currently than when she took over. It’s been 10 years, she honestly probably should have been gone sooner

on paper, it seemed like a good hire at the time but it didn’t work out. She simply can’t recruit well enough or maintain rosters to be competitive with the top dogs. I’m still amazed how awful her recruiting is, I just don’t get that aspect. Either she is lazy or terrible at connecting with young athletes.... or both
Agreed. Even teams like Florida seem to out recruit us. It's past due for a change. All it takes is one decent hire. To get things back rolling. Now depending on who the hire is will tell how long it'll take to rebuild.

Reaction Score
Bobbitt TN was a huge success out of Juco - two NCs as starting PG.
The portal is exploding with players, but I am not seeing a huge explosion of talent in there. A lot of middle of the roster players and a few blue chippers. Could strengthen middle of conference teams or bottom dwellers, but will they change the top of the conferences?

I think the biggest effect may be on the teams losing players than on the general landscape of the ranked teams. There is still time for surprises but ...
I am curious how much will change once the NCAAT ends. Depending on who comes back or doesn’t, it will be interesting to see if any of your other top players make a move

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Looks like Diamond DeShields was right -the portal is poppin. This might not be a good thing for the players in this sense; coaches were already going to have to decide which returning seniors they would offer a scholarship to because of COVID. I could easily see a scenario where marginal players in the portal are left without a scholarship. I'm not picking on her, just using her as an example Lexi Gordon: Is Lexi Gordon going to get a scholarship offer better than Texas Tech? Is anyone keep track of the best players in the portal?
Diamond Johnson
Madison Hayes
Kayana Traylor
Alabama to join her sister, would be my guess. So, yes.

Reaction Score
So student athletes should be penalized for being athletes? I'm not following your argument.

The only sports that require students to sit out a year are men's/women's basketball, men's ice hockey, football, and men's baseball. Every other NCAA sport allows players to transfer and become immediately eligible. Most of those sports provide full scholarships as well and there is zero repercussion. I'm guessing it comes down to money, but I think it's BS that certain athletes get complete freedom while others are penalized. Furthermore, the players who are penalized for transferring play on higher revenue sports that fund the low revenue ones where players have complete freedom.

Another thing-- 4 year scholarships are not guaranteed. Players get asked to leave programs all of time and are essentially forced to uproot their lives, go through recruitment again and transfer to a brand new situation if they want to keep a scholarship. Not all players are dying to leave their program and transfer, yet they're basically forced out or told they'll ride the bench for their career and then have to sit out for a year should they leave.

Just because people would like to make any choice they want without any consequence doesn't mean that is the way it should be.

These are players getting quite a benefit from the schools who are committing quite a bit to them.

The success of the sport is somewhat dependent on teams having some continuity.

Sitting out a year is a pretty small price to pay.

If you think it's good for the sport or the fans or even the players that rosters get completely gutted, I disagree.

It's hardly likely to be a disadvantage to established programs but that's not a great thing either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hopefully we hear some good news on the Duke front.

If any transfers or possible transfers are reading this thread... Duke has a great campus, great facilities... and Durham is a great place to be if you are a "foodie". Plus you will have great fans supporting you.. and mediocre fans like me cheering you on as well.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Who said this? They need to be evaluated
Wasn't it reported that Nikki wouldn't sign her contract with MSU unless some sort of buyout clause (regarding leaving for Tennessee) was removed?

Reaction Score
Wasn't it reported that Nikki wouldn't sign her contract with MSU unless some sort of buyout clause (regarding leaving for Tennessee) was removed?
Sounds Very arrogant if she did that... I don’t remember that though but maybe a MSU fan can chime in

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yeah.... Kellie is totally a worse bet than McCray. ?

Kellie = made the tournament in 4 different schools

McCray = 0 tournaments in 4 years

Really tough choice there....

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
At this stage NMP needs to make an offer to pay State to be released from her contract so we can move on to a new coach. And in turn she can start fresh somewhere else.

Or maybe she can enter the coaching transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Rickea Jackson’s mom liked this tweet.

c2f97fdd54a5bbda60ea11a7b8b10847.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members