2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Remember that the next couple of years are going to be outliers -- all the players have effectively been granted a fifth year. They play 4 years, complete their degree, and then know they can go almost anywhere, play immediately, and get a free year of grad school. Gonna be hard to pass up.
Keep in mind that no school is under any obligation to give out a scholarship to returning players. As we begin to emerge from COVID many companies and Universities will face the reality of shrinking budgets.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wonder what the stats are for girls who go into the transfer portal and dont hook on with another team at D1, or D2, D3, or NAIA. It seems we see more going in than coming out. Maybe its my perception. Does Raoul ever post stats like that?
I kinda wonder about that too. It's like musical chairs. Gotta scramble to find a seat when the music stops.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder what the stats are for girls who go into the transfer portal and dont hook on with another team at D1, or D2, D3, or NAIA. It seems we see more going in than coming out. Maybe its my perception. Does Raoul ever post stats like that?
If you look at his list he seems to be conscientious in adding a 'to' school. Does he miss some? I am sure he does, but he has information already on near 100.

And yeah, I bet there are some that do not end up picking up a scholarship.

Reaction Score
If you look at his list he seems to be conscientious in adding a 'to' school. Does he miss some? I am sure he does, but he has information already on near 100.

And yeah, I bet there are some that do not end up picking up a scholarship.
That might be a problem in both basketball and football. Players might put their name in the portal, the school might fill their spot with a transfer. Then they have to find a spot. Some players are going to be out in the cold. They might end up dropping down a division.

Reaction Score
I think many folks want to believe that prior to the creation of the transfer portal in October 2018, the really good players were staying put because they were "happy". In reality, most were probably staying put because their head coaches were making it very difficult for them to transfer since they wouldn't grant them a full release, or wanted to put conditions on their release (such as which schools they would not be allowed to transfer to).

The portal is working, IMO. Coaches should not hold all the power. Player should be able to move on as they see fit.

As for immediate eligibility, that's a separate issue. When the portal was created, there was no immediate eligibility in the main sports.

Transfers should be free of any coach or school or conference discretion but players should have to sit out a season.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that no school is under any obligation to give out a scholarship to returning players. As we begin to emerge from COVID many companies and Universities will face the reality of shrinking budgets.

Not quite accurate. Lots of schools and perhaps leagues have committed to four year promises.

Reaction Score
Transfers should be free of any coach or school or conference discretion but players should have to sit out a season.
This. I don’t think a transfer should be blocked but I suspect if eligibility wasn’t immediate then far fewer players would transfer.

Reaction Score
This. I don’t think a transfer should be blocked but I suspect if eligibility wasn’t immediate then far fewer players would transfer.

I think it's a reasonable concession to the schools and stability of the game and yeah academics to have a one year sit out.

Maybe make the transfers after the first one free. Keep the free grad transfer.

Coaching change free transfer is fine too. I guess.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not quite accurate. Lots of schools and perhaps leagues have committed to four year promises.
Absolutely accurate: Despite the NCAA permitting 4 year scholarships since 2012 FOUR year scholarships are not the norm across the NCAA institutions with the exception being a few powerhouse football programs.

Reaction Score
Absolutely accurate: Despite the NCAA permitting 4 year scholarships since 2012 FOUR year scholarships are not the norm across the NCAA institutions with the exception being a few powerhouse football programs.

South Carolina has had it since 2014 and I think it's pretty standard in the SEC, but I could be mistaken.

So not quite accurate is fair, imo.

Reaction Score
I think many folks want to believe that prior to the creation of the transfer portal in October 2018, the really good players were staying put because they were "happy". In reality, most were probably staying put because their head coaches were making it very difficult for them to transfer since they wouldn't grant them a full release, or wanted to put conditions on their release (such as which schools they would not be allowed to transfer to).

The portal is working, IMO. Coaches should not hold all the power. Player should be able to move on as they see fit.

As for immediate eligibility, that's a separate issue. When the portal was created, there was no immediate eligibility in the main sports.
I disagree that most of the good players stayed at their schools because coaches made it very difficult to leave. No doubt it happened but if top players were trapped by coaches it wouldn't take long for word to get out and that coach would find themselves struggling to recruit those top players in the first place. I have no doubt some were but to say most would be a stretch.

I've not been shy about disliking immediate eligibility and feel there would be fewer players in the portal if that was taken out of the equation. Again, just my two cents.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Why should women's basketball transfers be held to a higher standard than general students or vast majority of student athletes who don't have to sit out for a year if they transfer? What's the good of making them sit out for a year? To punish them for leaving a situation they feel isn't right for them? Players are still transferring in waves whether they have to sit out for a year or not which tells me the 1 year break isn't seen as a deterrent by most. Might as well let them find a school where they'll have a better experience as a student athlete than penalize them for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why should women's basketball transfers be held to a higher standard than general students or vast majority of student athletes who don't have to sit out for a year if they transfer? What's the good of making them sit out for a year? To punish them for leaving a situation they feel isn't right for them? Players are still transferring in waves whether they have to sit out for a year or not which tells me the 1 year break isn't seen as a deterrent by most. Might as well let them find a school where they'll have a better experience as a student athlete then penalize them for it.

Because we should all be adults and understand that there is a difference between student-athletes and students.

Reaction Score
Why should women's basketball transfers be held to a higher standard than general students or vast majority of student athletes who don't have to sit out for a year if they transfer? What's the good of making them sit out for a year? To punish them for leaving a situation they feel isn't right for them? Players are still transferring in waves whether they have to sit out for a year or not which tells me the 1 year break isn't seen as a deterrent by most. Might as well let them find a school where they'll have a better experience as a student athlete then penalize them for it.
Not saying they should, but what's different is the school is paying for their tuition, room, board, etc. It's not the same situation as a student paying their own way. So a case could be made there should be some obligation on the scholarship student athlete's part. ??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why is Diamond Johnson leaving?? I’m a little surprised by that one.
Yea this makes no sense to me. She had an AA caliber season, was one of the best Freshman in the country Shot 51% overall, 45% from deep and 90% from the charity stripe. Rutgers made the tournament and the # 1 offensive option Guirantes is likely moving on to the WNBA. I guess that old adage applies: "some people can be unhappy anywhere".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m trying to comprehend where all of these transfers will end up. It feels like most rosters next year will all be very different than anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom