2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 191 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
it gets back to my general sense that you don't play recruiting games with schools, treating official visits like quick paid vacations.....I would equate it to taking one of those free trip offers to look at timeshares when you know you're never going to buy one.....certainly not something that I would ever consider
In that case, my final five are Hawaii, Miami, UCLA, UCF, and St. Johns

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Obvioiusly, you are not a coach whose job is to acquire the best available talent.

Reaction Score
In that case, my final five are Hawaii, Miami, UCLA, UCF, and St. Johns

In polls, NYU generally comes in first as far as a "most like to attend" college in NYC. (Aso among the most desired in the country). St Johns, not so much. You're either in the city (Manhattan), or you're not.
I would put Pepperdine in on a list also.
Overlooking Malibu is tough to beat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In polls, NYU generally comes in first as far as a "most like to attend" college in NYC. (Aso among the most desired in the country). St Johns, not so much. You're either in the city (Manhattan), or you're not.
No disrespect to NYU. But if you want to go to school in Manhattan, Columbia University is just about the best school around, and one of the top 5 schools in the country.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to NYU. But if you want to go to school in Manhattan, Columbia University is just about the best school around, and one of the top 5 schools in the country.

NYU's popularity over Columbia may have something to do with it's 34% acceptance rate compared with 6.6% for the Ivy League school...........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The neighborhoods around NYU and Columbia are very different. My son went to Columbia for grad school and works fairly close to NYU. Lower Manhattan (The Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, Meatpacking District, etc.) is uber popular.

I agree about Pepperdine. The scenery is incredible--and almost distracting. UCSD isn't too shabby either, but it's more on a plateau, so the views of the ocean are more limited. My son went to Rice, which has a beautiful campus, but the weather in Houston is humid. USC has a nice campus, but the surrounding area is sketchy. UCLA is hard to beat, but my favorites include Stanford, Berkeley, and Princeton.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
NYU's popularity over Columbia may have something to do with it's 34% acceptance rate compared with 6.6% for the Ivy League school......
My father was an NYU grad and I am a Columbia grad. The fact that, out of thousands of schools, you named those two--even in a prescribed context--is an astonishing chance occurrence to me. :)

Reaction Score
The neighborhoods around NYU and Columbia are very different. My son went to Columbia for grad school and works fairly close to NYU. Lower Manhattan (The Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, Meatpacking District, etc.) is uber popular.

I agree about Pepperdine. The scenery is incredible--and almost distracting. UCSD isn't too shabby either, but it's more on a plateau, so the views of the ocean are more limited. My son went to Rice, which has a beautiful campus, but the weather in Houston is humid. USC has a nice campus, but the surrounding area is sketchy. UCLA is hard to beat, but my favorites include Stanford, Berkeley, and Princeton.
UC Santa Barbara is pretty tough to beat as well. And they used to be pretty good !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

My father was an NYU grad and I am a Columbia grad. The fact that, out of thousands of schools, you named those two--even in a prescribed context--is an astonishing chance occurrence to me. :)
Back in ancient times, when I attended that particularly liberal institution on Morningside Heights, 35 cents would get you anywhere in the city, and on weekends you got a round trip pass for that amount.

My Columbia classmates and I could all head down to Canal street (Little Italy & Chinatown), the Grand Concourse (Yankee Stadium), 34th Street (the Garden) or Times Square (the center of the Universe). It’s a small miracle that I ever managed to graduate.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
duly noted and itinerary adjusted

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Back in ancient times, when I attended that particularly liberal institution on Morningside Heights, 35 cents would get you anywhere in the city, and on weekends you got a round trip pass for that amount.

My Columbia classmates and I could all head down to Canal street (Little Italy & Chinatown), the Grand Concourse (Yankee Stadium), 34th Street (the Garden) or Times Square (the center of the Universe). It’s a small miracle that I ever managed to graduate.
I hear you, 'dude. I was the tall guy who was always playing bridge in the cafeteria. Not sure how I earned my sheepskin, either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Pepperdine Univ. sets on a hillside in Malibu Calif, and offers an unparalleled view of the city and the pacific ocean.
I've been on this campus several times, it's beautiful. The ambiance for this campus is off the charts. The ocean can be seen from every point on campus if you get away from the buildings. The air on campus is ALWAYS healthful, no smog. Just a clean fresh "cool" ocean breeze. On a clear day with a good pair of binoculars, you can see Catalina Island on the horizon approx 35 miles away.

1539368978951.png

Malibu is a beach city in western Los Angeles County, California, situated about 30 miles west of Downtown Los Angeles. Known for its Mediterranean climate, a 21-mile strip of the Malibu coast incorporated in 1991 into the City of Malibu. The area is known for being the home of Hollywood movie stars, people in the entertainment industry, and other affluent residents.

Attachments

• 1539368786358.png
    1539368786358.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hear you, 'dude. I was the tall guy who was always playing bridge in the cafeteria. Not sure how I earned my sheepskin, either.
Bridge required too much thinking for me. We would play whist at the frat house for quarts of beer.

Reaction Score
Stanford has a "slight" geographic advantage when it comes to reminding Ms Jones of their interest.............

Reaction Score
Pepperdine Univ. sets on a hillside in Malibu Calif, and offers an unparalleled view of the city and the pacific ocean.
I've been on this campus several times, it's beautiful. The ocean can be seen from every point on campus if you get away from the buildings. The air on campus is ALWAYS healthful, no smog. Just a clean fresh "cool" ocean breeze. On a clear day with a good pair of binoculars, you can see Catalina Island on the horizon approx 35 miles away.

View attachment 35148

Malibu is a beach city in western Los Angeles County, California, situated about 30 miles west of Downtown Los Angeles. Known for its Mediterranean climate, a 21-mile strip of the Malibu coast incorporated in 1991 into the City of Malibu. The area is known for being the home of Hollywood movie stars, people in the entertainment industry, and other affluent residents.

When my niece was choosing a school this is where I told her to go, drawing disapproving glares from my sister. I explained that grad school was where you chose academics. Unfortunately she chose Harvard.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
not sure what to make of that....with ONO and Boston you wouldn't think she's a priority with ONO alone she certainly is..

I'm glad UConn is recruiting elite talent regardless of who else is in the pipeline or being targeted. ONO can play 4-5 and maybe even a huge 3 in certain future lineups. That's why versatile players are so important.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like the production 2 years ago, the technical quality of this show needs work. It's better than nothing, but one would think they've had plenty of time to iron out any deficiencies/issues they may have had during the setup and testing/sound check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Bridge required too much thinking for me. We would play whist at the frat house for quarts of beer.
We played bridge for a penny a point--a fortune at that time--hoping to win enough to have some ammunition for Aqueduct or Belmont. Given all that, it's amazing I still have shoes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom