2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 158 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not sure if its a final list or a list at all. Maybe offers?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Possibly—but she was mentioned in the Cy Fair article up a couple of posts. Just pointing out who has committed and that Goforth had a list.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And here is Poole from Monday's (7/23) AAU action:

She got a pretty good write-up our of Blue Star for her work at the USJN Premier Showcase in Westfield, Ind., a bit earlier in the month.

Kateri Poole – 2020 – PG – NY New Heights 17 NYC– Big, strong guard…Tremendous court vision…Looks to advance the ball on the pass and push tempo…Delivers pin point passes and crafty…Handles it very well…Capable of scoring it many different ways…Can shoot the ball very well with nice shot and release…Gets it to the rim and finish with contact…Good body control.

Here's the total write-up: 15th Annual USJN Premier Showcase - Indianapolis - Bluestar Media

Reaction Score
Not sure if its a final list or a list at all. Maybe offers?

it's getting harder to know if these lists are wishful thinking or actual offers.............don't see UConn so perhaps Poole was the reason UConn was watching.........

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mark Lewis of Blue Star Media does an "after the fact" write-up on the DC event. Most of his write-up pertains to 2019-20 prospects but there are a few 2021 but feel free to go through the link.

"DC" - 31st Annual USJN National Championship - Bluestar Media

There are a few thumbnails that caught my eye for various reasons, ranging from being on a top player to recent posts on this board to the Irish factor ;) (I put a comment or so in parenthesis on a few.)

Rickea Jackson – 2019 – 6-3 – Wing / Forward – Sports City U– Without peer in D.C…Took over multiple games in multiple ways…Impact player on both ends…Not just what she does but how she does it…Can defend any spot on the floor in any scheme…Attacks the boards with a vengeance…Focus is there regardless of score…Elite among the elite
(Still scratching my head as to how she's not in Belarus, given Carla's preference for rangy wings.)

Kateri Poole – 2020 – 5-9 – Point Guard – New heights NYC– Highly regarded…Physically strong and assertive with the ball…Explosiveness off the move…Change of speed is exceptional…Initiates contact to keep defenders off balance…Gets to the rim…Smooth touch with time…Consistency will keep closeouts honest

Madeline Westbeld – 2020 – 6-2 – Wing – Angels Basketball Club– Added size and strength…Slow start but strong finish…Mixes her attack more efficiently…Range and touch open up penetration options…Can score in streaks…Challenging match up decision for opposition…Turnovers need to be reeled in at times.
(Scroll down the linked article and you'll see a picture of her...no, that's not Kat Westbeld, her older sister. The apple does not fall far from the tree...:))

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mark Lewis of Blue Star Media does an "after the fact" write-up on the DC event. Most of his write-up pertains to 2019-20 prospects but there are a few 2021 but feel free to go through the link.

"DC" - 31st Annual USJN National Championship - Bluestar Media

There are a few thumbnails that caught my eye for various reasons, ranging from being on a top player to recent posts on this board to the Irish factor ;) (I put a comment or so in parenthesis on a few.)

Rickea Jackson – 2019 – 6-3 – Wing / Forward – Sports City U– Without peer in D.C…Took over multiple games in multiple ways…Impact player on both ends…Not just what she does but how she does it…Can defend any spot on the floor in any scheme…Attacks the boards with a vengeance…Focus is there regardless of score…Elite among the elite
(Still scratching my head as to how she's not in Belarus, given Carla's preference for rangy wings.)

Kateri Poole – 2020 – 5-9 – Point Guard – New heights NYC– Highly regarded…Physically strong and assertive with the ball…Explosiveness off the move…Change of speed is exceptional…Initiates contact to keep defenders off balance…Gets to the rim…Smooth touch with time…Consistency will keep closeouts honest

Madeline Westbeld – 2020 – 6-2 – Wing – Angels Basketball Club– Added size and strength…Slow start but strong finish…Mixes her attack more efficiently…Range and touch open up penetration options…Can score in streaks…Challenging match up decision for opposition…Turnovers need to be reeled in at times.
(Scroll down the linked article and you'll see a picture of her...no, that's not Kat Westbeld, her older sister. The apple does not fall far from the tree...:))
Sounds like you and Mark were comparing notes as it relates to Jackson, or was that great minds thinking alike? ND have any interest in Jackson? Full disclosure: I jumped off the Jackson bandwagon to get on the Jones bandwagon because UCONN did not show much interest in Jackson. Jackson has grown and added range since I jumped off the bandwagon but that intensity that Mark is talking about was always there. Jackson is going to be special from this class also.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sounds like you and Mark were comparing notes as it relates to Jackson, or was that great minds thinking alike? ND have any interest in Jackson? Full disclosure: I jumped off the Jackson bandwagon to get on the Jones bandwagon because UCONN did not show much interest in Jackson. Jackson has grown and added range since I jumped off the bandwagon but that intensity that Mark is talking about was always there. Jackson is going to be special from this class also.

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Was on the phone with Mark :rolleyes:.
Hard not to have something in common with Mr. Lewis, you and me when it comes to Ms. Jackson. Agree with your sentiments and observations...she's added more tools to the arsenal and has kept the motor running on everything from defense to attacking the boards.

I'm not aware of any interest between Jackson and the Irish, and can't recall seeing any over on The Bench. Given that Jackson is from Detroit, you would think it would be worth a relative short drive at some point. They kicked the tires with Breanna Beal in Illinois, but never heard anything in this case.

Could easily see her being a headliner for Michigan State, but could also see her playing for Dawn. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark can’t keep track of how many college scholarships she’s been offered.

“Caitlin’s being recruited by virtually every university in the United States,” said Jensen, who noted nearly every major program in the country, save for Connecticut, has offered her. “She will have, basically, wherever she wants to go to college.

Clark’s college selection process will ramp up this fall, and this weekend, she named some of the characteristics she’s looking for in her college home.

“A family culture, I would say,” she said. “Somewhere that has a good tradition of basketball. Somewhere that wins. I’m not sure how far or close I want to be to home yet, so I’m still figuring that out.”

Attack point guard coveted by entire nation — including ISU

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark can’t keep track of how many college scholarships she’s been offered.

“Caitlin’s being recruited by virtually every university in the United States,” said Jensen, who noted nearly every major program in the country, save for Connecticut, has offered her. “She will have, basically, wherever she wants to go to college.

Clark’s college selection process will ramp up this fall, and this weekend, she named some of the characteristics she’s looking for in her college home.

“A family culture, I would say,” she said. “Somewhere that has a good tradition of basketball. Somewhere that wins. I’m not sure how far or close I want to be to home yet, so I’m still figuring that out.”

Attack point guard coveted by entire nation — including ISU

not sure why UConn hasn't been recruiting her...........in many respects she's as good as PB and Hailey Van Lith

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I figured that if they were recruiting her they'd have already offered by now as she appears to be one of the top three PG's in the class and has the kind of attributes that UConn looks for
That is not how recruiting works for UCONN. Caitlin just completed her sophomore year of HS, virtually unprecedented for UCONN to offer sophomores. The only recent recruit I can remember UCONN offering as a sophomore was Erin Boley. 2019 class has priority right now, starting with a Horston visit in September.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bueckers, Fudd, and Van Lith all got offered last year.
Add Espinoza-Hunter too. Whoops, forgot Brunelle also prior to her sophomore season.
All correct. The point I'm trying to get across to @Charlieball is that UCONN is very selective and a lot can change between Freshmen year and Junior year. Even when you achieve number 1 in the class still does not mean UCONN will automatically offer especially as HS Freshmen or Sophomores. It is always a very tough message for a highly ranked recruit to hear from UCONN that you: "need to keep working and we'll keep watching" and sometimes that causes recruits to look at and commit to other schools. That UCONN approach is not going to change any time soon. Kylee Watson (then #1) & Anaya Peoples (then #4) in the class both visited UCONN and walked away with that message and no UCONN offer. We can definitely use Brunelle as an example of things changing rapidly. We can also use Jones and Horston as validation of the UCONN recruiting philosophy.

Reaction Score
All correct. The point I'm trying to get across to @Charlieball is that UCONN is very selective and a lot can change between Freshmen year and Junior year. Even when you achieve number 1 in the class still does not mean UCONN will automatically offer especially as HS Freshmen or Sophomores. It is always a very tough message for a highly ranked recruit to hear from UCONN that you: "need to keep working and we'll keep watching" and sometimes that causes recruits to look at and commit to other schools. That UCONN approach is not going to change any time soon. Kylee Watson (then #1) & Anaya Peoples (then #4) in the class both visited UCONN and walked away with that message and no UCONN offer. We can definitely use Brunelle as an example of things changing rapidly. We can also use Jones and Horston as validation of the UCONN recruiting philosophy.
CocoHusky,
Love your posts especially on recruiting which I am fascinated by but know little about.
My only comment on this one is validation of the U Conn recruiting philosophy is when they hopefully land Jones & Horston.
It's great still being in the game / hunt but what counts most is getting what you strive for.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky,
Love your posts especially on recruiting which I am fascinated by but know little about.
My only comment on this one is validation of the U Conn recruiting philosophy is when they hopefully land Jones & Horston.
It's great still being in the game / hunt but what counts most is getting what you strive for.
Bronx23
No doubt this will be a form of validation but not THE validation I was speaking off. The validation I'm speaking off is the danger of offering the player too young (as a Freshmen or Sophomore) AKA: The Louisville philosophy. Sure there are can't miss players who will beat the curve and are worthy of offers as Freshmen. Elena Delle Donne for example was getting offers as a 12 year old and Azzi Fudd appears to be on a similar path. If UCONN had offered perceived better performers than Jones & Horston 2-3 years ago and those players accepted, UCONN would be without scholarships today to pursue Jones and Horston or be in the sad position of having to renege on a offer to a committed player. UCONN swims in the deep end of the recruiting pool, freshmen or even Sophomore year is way early to determine who the UCONN worthy swimmers are going to be for the vast majority of recruits. At that age bodies are still developing and generally the level of competition is probably at least two galaxies removed from the galaxy in which UCONN WBB resides.
BTW thanks for the opportunity to explain. I get very frustrated with those that fail to understand the UCONN recruiting philosophy, yet somehow those same people are convinced that it needs to change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom