2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 170 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I’ve heard Amihere wouldn’t mind playing out on the wing in college, I know A’ja Wilson also had that desire, but it didn’t work out. Kentucky is the type of school that would tell her she could play wherever she likes if she picks the cats.

Kids these days. Nobody wants to be a post player. Some kids need to be forced to play there for their own good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kids these days. Nobody wants to be a post player. Some kids need to be forced to play there for their own good.

Even 7 footers (i.e. Kevin Durant) don't want to play the 5 spot. They all want to shoot 3's from beyond the arc. :eek:

Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, UConn recently had a 6’4 player who had a nice 3 point shot to compliment her inside game. I think she’s playing in Seattle now, she’s not having a bad season either ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, UConn recently had a 6’4 player who had a nice 3 point shot to compliment her inside game. I think she’s playing in Seattle now, she’s not having a bad season either ;)

I remember several of her teammate's retort (during her junior or senior year) after hearing a reporter remark about how the team could desperately use a "post" player, and suggested that perhaps Breanna could possibly fill that need. After pausing for a moment, they responded in unison: (and I quote) "STEWIE AIN'T NO POST". I don't believe the reporter ever broached that subject again. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Even 7 footers (i.e. Kevin Durant) don't want to play the 5 spot. They all want to shoot 3's from beyond the arc. :eek:

Durant is 6-9, not 7-0.

Durant was a perimeter player in high school, before he grew five inches right before his junior year of high school. He was 6-9 by the time he matriculated at the University of Texas.

Durant was a perimeter player for most of his life, with an incredible shot and great handles for his size. Why would he automatically become a center, simply because is 6-9 - which, by the way, would not be a a traditional center in the NBA. Using that same premise, Magic Johnson should not have been a point guard.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Here's where we get into semantics. A 5 is clearly a "post". Is a 4 a post? What if they're a "stretch 4". A stretch 4 will play both in the post and on the wing but may not be considered either a "post" or a "wing" but more generically a "forward". And the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an empire. Discuss. ;)

I personally believe that 2 and 3 are "wings" and "4 and 5" are posts. But that's just me.

I think a lot of folks these days should be playing one position higher than they think they are. Delle Donne's best position is 4 but for whatever reason the league continues to list her as G/F and says that she plays SF for Washington and 5'11 Ariel Atkins plays PF. Ok then...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Durant is 6-9, not 7-0.

To the contrary - The great debate is over: Warriors' Kevin Durant finally admits his real height
upload_2018-8-28_15-28-10.png

Reaction Score
Durant is 6-9, not 7-0.

Durant was a perimeter player in high school, before he grew five inches right before his junior year of high school. He was 6-9 by the time he matriculated at the University of Texas.

Durant was a perimeter player for most of his life, with an incredible shot and great handles for his size. Why would he automatically become a center, simply because is 6-9 - which, by the way, would not be a a traditional center in the NBA. Using that same premise, Magic Johnson should not have been a point guard.
It has been well documented that Durant is taller than 6-9 and closer to 7-0.

Reaction Score
Andrea Aquino (Oregon State) is taller than Griner and she wants to be a stretch-4. That may work for her as her 6’7” teammate wants to play in the post as a true center. Kennedy Brown also wants to be a stretch-4 at 6’5”/6’6” and that a coach shares her vision is important in her final decision. it’s definitely a big debate whether tall players should automatically have to play in the post.

Reaction Score
Not sure its totally the player's choice these days. Most teams now have a "motion" offense that forces players to constantly move. Unless you are someone from the past like UConn's Stokes, a mega rebounder with limited outside skills, the days of the "Big," who sat under the basket 99% of the time, are more exceptions.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brandon Clay assessment from recent showcase event:

Hailey Van Lith – Cashmere, WA – 2020 – Cashmere HS

Van Lith attacked the skill session the same way she does opposing defenders: with laser like precision. With her blend of power and skill, she’s a scorer’s scorer. Understanding how to keep the game simple with her reads will improve Van Lith’s efficiency while lessening late-game fatigue.

CMO Seattle Spotlight II | Prospects Nation

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Brandon Clay assessment from recent showcase event:

Hailey Van Lith – Cashmere, WA – 2020 – Cashmere HS

Van Lith attacked the skill session the same way she does opposing defenders: with laser like precision. With her blend of power and skill, she’s a scorer’s scorer. Understanding how to keep the game simple with her reads will improve Van Lith’s efficiency while lessening late-game fatigue.

CMO Seattle Spotlight II | Prospects Nation
Based on the U17s, whatever college gets Van Lith gets 4 years of stress-free point guard play. She didn't shoot that well but everything else was really good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Based on the U17s, whatever college gets Van Lith gets 4 years of stress-free point guard play. She didn't shoot that well but everything else was really good.
I agree that Van Lith will be very good, but one of the things she needs to work on is her decision making. There were several times in the U17’s when she forced the play by driving into traffic, eventually leading to TO’s. It’s something I think all pg’s experience when they go from local HS games to playing internationally or in college.

Reaction Score
The only reservation I have with Hailey Van Lith is her size. Standing next to 5'11" Bueckers she looks like her little sister, not just significantly shorter but smaller overall. And Bueckers is small-framed. Makes me ask if she'll be able to guard the elite back court players in wcbb who are getting bigger every year. She got stuck among the trees several times in the U17 when she drove inside. It took MoJeff over 2 seasons to learn how and when (and when not) to drive inside. Dangerfield is even shorter than Hailey Van Lith but has a much stronger upper body.

Reaction Score
The only reservation I have with Hailey Van Lith is her size. Standing next to 5'11" Bueckers she looks like her little sister, not just significantly shorter but smaller overall. And Bueckers is small-framed. Makes me ask if she'll be able to guard the elite back court players in wcbb who are getting bigger every year. She got stuck among the trees several times in the U17 when she drove inside. It took MoJeff over 2 seasons to learn how and when (and when not) to drive inside. Dangerfield is even shorter than Hailey Van Lith but has a much stronger upper body.
I hope we can continue to compare Dangerfield to MoJeff. Mo may have been thinner, but as of today played much stronger on both offense and defense than Danger. Footwork and anticipation allowed Mo to attack on both ends. Danger getting better, but still is often responding versus taking charge.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope we can continue to compare Dangerfield to MoJeff. Mo may have been thinner, but as of today played much stronger on both offense and defense than Danger. Footwork and anticipation allowed Mo to attack on both ends. Danger getting better, but still is often responding versus taking charge.
Crystal is a much better shooter at this stage of her career than Mo and I think her equal running the offense. I would give Mo the edge on defense and driving to the basket.

The one thing I’m hoping for is for Crystal to be 100% healthy this coming season. Absent shin splints, concussions or any other physical ailment, there’s no telling how good Crystal can be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A slightly more in-depth report on Van Lith from the recent showcase via nwhoopsfan:

Speaking of Van Lith, the five-star prospect stole the show during the competition portion of the event on Saturday. Her unique blend of power, skill and speed with the ball remind me of the version of James Harden we are seeing in Houston. Like Harden, Van Lith is a left-hand dominant guard capable of getting downhill to make a play against just about any guard in the country. She is a quality option shooting the basketball showing that both the midrange and 3-pointer are in her arsenal during the showcase. As Van Lith continues to learn when and where to utilize her offensive skill, both her efficiency will increase as a result.

First Look: Check Me Out Seattle 2018 | Prospects Nation

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A slightly more in-depth report on Van Lith from the recent showcase via nwhoopsfan:

Speaking of Van Lith, the five-star prospect stole the show during the competition portion of the event on Saturday. Her unique blend of power, skill and speed with the ball remind me of the version of James Harden we are seeing in Houston. Like Harden, Van Lith is a left-hand dominant guard capable of getting downhill to make a play against just about any guard in the country. She is a quality option shooting the basketball showing that both the midrange and 3-pointer are in her arsenal during the showcase. As Van Lith continues to learn when and where to utilize her offensive skill, both her efficiency will increase as a result.

First Look: Check Me Out Seattle 2018 | Prospects Nation
Christyn plays a lot like James Harden.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom