2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 169 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@Raoul_000
WBB: Here's the remaining official visit schedule for top-10 2019 prospect Jordan Horston, 6-1 G, Columbus Africentric HS (OH), who visited North Carolina and UCLA back in the spring: —this weekend: Tennessee —next weekend: South Carolina —weekend of Sept. 21: UConn

Not surprising that she isn't taking an official visit to OSU, but I wonder how often the school that didn't get an official visit is the selected school. UCLA still seems like the longest shot. I know there is a video of Zia Cooke and her wanting to play together in college, but I feel like UConn will still be her choice...so Cooke will have to go elsewhere.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Horston looks like she plans to wrap up the entire process quickly at the beginning of her senior year of HS. I like that UConn is the last visit. Any good salesman will tell you they always prefer to be the last one to make their pitch to the customer, and Geno is a very good salesman.

He's also an excellent "closer". :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not surprising that she isn't taking an official visit to OSU, but I wonder how often the school that didn't get an official visit is the selected school. UCLA still seems like the longest shot. I know there is a video of Zia Cooke and her wanting to play together in college, but I feel like UConn will still be her choice...so Cooke will have to go elsewhere.
That Zia Cooke is pretty smart, wanting to play college ball with Jordan Horston- Who doesn't? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She already stated she is taking her unofficials to Ohio State and Louisville because they are closest to her home so costs will be less.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A general question directed to all of the posters that keep track and follow elite female high school recruits. I do not keep track of these ladies. I read your comments and posts for that information. You all are doing a great job by the way of keeping us informed, we sincerely appreciate it. We like/want to be kept up to date on all UConn offers and commitments/verbals. ;)

In your humble and educated (best guess) opinion, which coveted UConn recruit from the 2019 class do YOU think will be THE FIRST to commit to UConn? :rolleyes: You can explain why if you wish. Hopefully all UConn commits will verbal and sign during the early NLI signing period of Nov 14-21, 2018.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why on earth would Amihere choose to go to Kentucky when she has her pick of elite schools with elite coaching and elite talent?
Kentucky has done a poor job of developing talent, has lost assistant coaches, and has little discernible half-court offense. She would be wasting her talent if she chooses Lexington. I don't see it happening.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Why on earth would Amihere choose to go to Kentucky when she has her pick of elite schools with elite coaching and elite talent?

I can’t answer your question. However i Can maybe say she wants to take all 5 of her officials?? I just wonder if she has a top 5 list?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Some (ok, many) scattered ND-centric thoughts that are related to some UConn targets so I'll leave them here rather than in the Non-UConn thread:

In one of Walz's comments to Raoul on twitter, he mentioned it is standard practice to recruit 4 players for one open scholarship. ND clearly wants a center and seems to be taking that approach. Thus you have Amihere, Boston, and Tshitenge-Mutombo all scheduled for official visits and Sydnee Roby also known to be considering ND. Haley Jones is the other known ND target which appears to be a case of a player too good not to recruit very hard rather than filling a specific need for ND.

Would ND take two posts given the opportunity? ND only has 9 scholarship players on the roster for next year at present (unless walk-on Kaitlin Cole is on scholarship now). Two posts are on their way out in Shepard and Turner. On the other hand, taking only 3 this year leaves more room for the class of '20, where there are lots of good prospects. 10 scholarship players plus Cole, who is genuinely useful, is probably fine.

Boston and MTM are due in South Bend this weekend for OVs. Unsurprisingly, given her connections to both Boston (USAB) and MTM (Fairfax Stars), Brunelle is also visiting this weekend. One wonders who else might be in town. Peoples? Does Bueckers make the trip down given that pals Boston and Brunelle are there? Recruitapalooza pt. 2? Seems like a massive weekend for the next two years of ND recruiting.

Interesting things to think about for all of ND's post targets:
Amihere - Goes to a Christian school and is at least somewhat religious based on her twitter. Would expect it is either ND, UConn, orStanford for her. UConn and ND have both had recent success with Canadians. Stanford has two Canadians on the roster presently. Stanford has the academics, ND has the religious angle, UConn has the unparalleled on-court success. Quote from Vice article on her "For me, what's really important is skill development". Well, who better than Muffet, Tara, and Geno in that department?

Boston - Also seems to be somewhat religious. Friends with Sam B, played AAU with Jordan Nixon. UConn could potentially sign a number of her USAB teammates. Does that play any part in her decision? We know she has been to UConn frequently. Don't see the appeal of Ohio State other than, I suppose, ample playing time. Not sure what connections she has to SCar but obviously they are an elite program and I can see appeal of playing for Staley.

MTM - No social media presence at all that I can find. Played AAU with Sam B and Azzi Fudd and I believe was coached, at least at one point, by Tim Fudd. Also is high school teammates with Fudd at St. John's, the same high school that Lindsay Allen went to. I know that Fudd and Allen have spent time together. Does MTM know Allen? MTM is not part of the original Red Robin Prophecy (tm) but there is something to the idea of trying to sign everyone in the Brunelle-Fudd sphere of influence. Unknown to me what other schools she is interested in.

Roby - Ericka Haney of ND's '01 championship team is her cousin. Played AAU for Midwest Elite alongside Katlyn Gilbert and Anaya Peoples. ND and Lousiville are easily the highest-caliber programs among her top 7. Though, of course, she is only one of a couple dozen (approximately) players that Louisville is recruiting in this class.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That surprised me too. KY has really become a second tier school. What I am concerned about is whether Amihere’s long recovery from a very bad injury has lead some schools to back off her. The fact that she was left off Canada’s under 18 team makes me wonder what her game will look like when she finally gets back on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That surprised me too. KY has really become a second tier school. What I am concerned about is whether Amihere’s long recovery from a very bad injury has lead some schools to back off her. The fact that she was left off Canada’s under 18 team makes me wonder what her game will look like when she finally gets back on the court.
I would not have expected Amihere to play on that U18 Canadian team because prior to the injury she had already been called up to the Canadian National team at the tender age of 15.
OSBA Star Laeticia Amihere Youngest Athlete Selected to Senior Women’s National Team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would not have expected Amihere to play on that U18 Canadian team because prior to the injury she had already been called up to the Canadian National team at the tender age of 15.
OSBA Star Laeticia Amihere Youngest Athlete Selected to Senior Women’s National Team
That's a valid point. It's just been a very long time since Amihere has been on the court in a game (sophomore year of HS). Hopefully, she's good to go for her senior year. I know there are differing opinions on the BY, but I would love to see a healthy Amihere along with Horston and Boston together as the UConn class of 2019. It could be the most fearsome trio of shutdown defenders ever assembled.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Some (ok, many) scattered ND-centric thoughts that are related to some UConn targets so I'll leave them here rather than in the Non-UConn thread:

In one of Walz's comments to Raoul on twitter, he mentioned it is standard practice to recruit 4 players for one open scholarship. ND clearly wants a center and seems to be taking that approach. Thus you have Amihere, Boston, and Tshitenge-Mutombo all scheduled for official visits and Sydnee Roby also known to be considering ND. Haley Jones is the other known ND target which appears to be a case of a player too good not to recruit very hard rather than filling a specific need for ND.

Would ND take two posts given the opportunity? ND only has 9 scholarship players on the roster for next year at present (unless walk-on Kaitlin Cole is on scholarship now). Two posts are on their way out in Shepard and Turner. On the other hand, taking only 3 this year leaves more room for the class of '20, where there are lots of good prospects. 10 scholarship players plus Cole, who is genuinely useful, is probably fine.

Boston and MTM are due in South Bend this weekend for OVs. Unsurprisingly, given her connections to both Boston (USAB) and MTM (Fairfax Stars), Brunelle is also visiting this weekend. One wonders who else might be in town. Peoples? Does Bueckers make the trip down given that pals Boston and Brunelle are there? Recruitapalooza pt. 2? Seems like a massive weekend for the next two years of ND recruiting.

Interesting things to think about for all of ND's post targets:
Amihere - Goes to a Christian school and is at least somewhat religious based on her twitter. Would expect it is either ND, UConn, orStanford for her. UConn and ND have both had recent success with Canadians. Stanford has two Canadians on the roster presently. Stanford has the academics, ND has the religious angle, UConn has the unparalleled on-court success. Quote from Vice article on her "For me, what's really important is skill development". Well, who better than Muffet, Tara, and Geno in that department?

Boston - Also seems to be somewhat religious. Friends with Sam B, played AAU with Jordan Nixon. UConn could potentially sign a number of her USAB teammates. Does that play any part in her decision? We know she has been to UConn frequently. Don't see the appeal of Ohio State other than, I suppose, ample playing time. Not sure what connections she has to SCar but obviously they are an elite program and I can see appeal of playing for Staley.

MTM - No social media presence at all that I can find. Played AAU with Sam B and Azzi Fudd and I believe was coached, at least at one point, by Tim Fudd. Also is high school teammates with Fudd at St. John's, the same high school that Lindsay Allen went to. I know that Fudd and Allen have spent time together. Does MTM know Allen? MTM is not part of the original Red Robin Prophecy (tm) but there is something to the idea of trying to sign everyone in the Brunelle-Fudd sphere of influence. Unknown to me what other schools she is interested in.

Roby - Ericka Haney of ND's '01 championship team is her cousin. Played AAU for Midwest Elite alongside Katlyn Gilbert and Anaya Peoples. ND and Lousiville are easily the highest-caliber programs among her top 7. Though, of course, she is only one of a couple dozen (approximately) players that Louisville is recruiting in this class.

Great summary. One thought....
- If Anaya Peoples -- who lives in "nearby" Illinois (compared to Virginia for Sam Brunelle) -- does not take her OV to ND this Labor Day weekend, perhaps she'll hold off until Sept. 27th and come with Ms. Amihere and Haley Jones.
Revised Report as of Aug. 28-29: According to Snapchat from ND Frosh guard Katlyn Gilbert, Anaya Peoples will be joining Brunelle, Boston and Tshitenge-Mutombo this weekend at ND.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's a valid point. It's just been a very long time since Amihere has been on the court in a game (sophomore year of HS). Hopefully, she's good to go for her senior year. I know there are differing opinions on the BY, but I would love to see a healthy Amihere along with Horston and Boston together as the UConn class of 2019. It could be the most fearsome trio of shutdown defenders ever assembled.

Where would Nelson-Ododa fit into that equation in the scenario where UConn gets Amihere and Boston?

Amihere's injury happened in late October so it's only been 10 months and probably closer to 9 since her surgery. So right about now is the earliest I would expect her to be back on the court. Yes, she missed a whole year of development time, but most players have a lot to learn when the get to college regardless. And you can't teach her athleticism...presuming she recovers back to 100% of her old self.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe she's a bourbon aficionado. Hard to get prime bourbon north of the border -- even before tariffs.
Ain't that the truth.

Reaction Score
Where would Nelson-Ododa fit into that equation in the scenario where UConn gets Amihere and Boston?

I’ve heard Amihere wouldn’t mind playing out on the wing in college, I know A’ja Wilson also had that desire, but it didn’t work out. Kentucky is the type of school that would tell her she could play wherever she likes if she picks the cats.

A Christian Canadian kid I wouldn’t count out Oklahoma.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom