2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 159 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
That is not how recruiting works for UCONN. Caitlin just completed her sophomore year of HS, virtually unprecedented for UCONN to offer sophomores. The only recent recruit I can remember UCONN offering as a sophomore was Erin Boley. 2019 class has priority right now, starting with a Horston visit in September.

I view Clark as equal to Bueckers or Van Lith and given that UConn has offers out to both of them already in an incredibly competitive recruiting environment, I would have thought that Clark would also be given similar consideration to cover all of the best options at the PG position...........if UConn doesn't land Horston in 2019 and strikes out with Bueckers and Van Lith which is certainly possible, who is going to be running the team going forward? I'll answer my own question with a possible name that has come up lately..........Kateri Poole?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whoops, forgot Brunelle also prior to her sophomore season.
There is some dispute on whether or not UConn offered Brunelle. SB says she was offered. One of the UConn beat reporters says she was not. The mysterious BY poster Dolphin implied that the offer was rescinded. I am 100% confident that we will never know for sure. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That is not how recruiting works for UCONN. Caitlin just completed her sophomore year of HS, virtually unprecedented for UCONN to offer sophomores. The only recent recruit I can remember UCONN offering as a sophomore was Erin Boley. 2019 class has priority right now, starting with a Horston visit in September.
Who?

Reaction Score
very true..that does seem to be the case.....just for the fun of it, take a look and judge for yourself......

Nothing about this video makes me think Clark is on a part with Bueckers or Van Lith. (1) It is a highlight reel whereas we have had a chance to watch Paige and Hailey play complete games. (2) The competition in the compilation is vastly inferior to the competition faced in the FIBA U17 tournament. (3) Caitlin appears to be playing in slow motion compared to Paige and Hailey.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I view Clark as equal to Bueckers or Van Lith and given that UConn has offers out to both of them already in an incredibly competitive recruiting environment, I would have thought that Clark would also be given similar consideration to cover all of the best options at the PG position......if UConn doesn't land Horston in 2019 and strikes out with Bueckers and Van Lith which is certainly possible, who is going to be running the team going forward? I'll answer my own question with a possible name that has come up lately.....Kateri Poole?
I don't know. Buekers looks a little bit quicker from the inbounds to the lane, with a quicker first step. Bueckers also has great body control, but Clark is no slouch. Clark seems to have equally nice court vision, an equally nice handle and a higher release on her shot. Long arms too. Clark seems to make everything look very easy and smooth. I've been a Bueckers fan too long though to jump off that Horse(ton) mid gallop, and it's hard to question Bueckers decision making having seen her in action against tough oponents.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nothing about this video makes me think Clark is on a part with Bueckers or Van Lith. (1) It is a highlight reel whereas we have had a chance to watch Paige and Hailey play complete games. (2) The competition in the compilation is vastly inferior to the competition faced in the FIBA U17 tournament. (3) Caitlin appears to be playing in slow motion compared to Paige and Hailey.

Clark was the best player on the team that won the EYBL Nike Nationals, which seems to be the highest level of AAU competition. I just checked to see if any of those games are online. They are, but they are on the flohoops subscription service.

Of course, all the USAB U17 players were away for that tournament. But at worst she is "best of the rest".

Bueckers may be a better athlete but Clark seems to have no trouble getting to her spots. Besides, a great point guard does not necessarily need great athleticism. I think everyone agrees that Bird remains one of the best PGs in the world, if not the very best. And there are certainly many point guards far more athletic than she is.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bueckers may be a better athlete but Clark seems to have no trouble getting to her spots. Besides, a great point guard does not necessarily need great athleticism. I think everyone agrees that Bird remains one of the best PGs in the world, if not the very best. And there are certainly many point guards far more athletic than she is.

Far more? I don't know if you're talking about now or when Sue Bird was Clark's age but she was and is a tremendous athlete. She is still one of the fastest players with the ball in the league.

“A lot of times what got overlooked was just how incredibly athletic she was,” Auriemma said Friday at Mohegan Sun, where he appeared for an autograph session. “They know her leadership skills, how smart she is as a player and her ability to run a team. But I think they forget just what an incredible athlete she was and is to this day.”

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Far more? I don't know if you're talking about now or when Sue Bird was Clark's age but she was and is a tremendous athlete. She is still one of the fastest players with the ball in the league.

“A lot of times what got overlooked was just how incredibly athletic she was,” Auriemma said Friday at Mohegan Sun, where he appeared for an autograph session. “They know her leadership skills, how smart she is as a player and her ability to run a team. But I think they forget just what an incredible athlete she was and is to this day.”

I'm talking about now. I assume there are plenty of guards in the WNBA who could beat her in a footrace or have a better vertical leap. Though, as you point out, being fast with the ball in one's hand is a whole different thing.

For another example on the same point - Vandersloot leads the league in assists and recently had a triple-double. Most nights the opposing starter is more athletic than she is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
very true..that does seem to be the case.....just for the fun of it, take a look and judge for yourself......

Also USA Basketball.

They had Bueckers, Van Lith, Campbell and Reese ahead of her.

Just sayin'. I don't know, I haven't watched them personally. However, just pointing out your assessment and UCONN/USA Basketball's assessment don't seem to jive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not think it is correct to look at class (Soph vs. Junior) in terms of Uconn offering - it is the process of back and forth between recruit and coaches and the perceived level of interest and usually the actual on campus time that produces offers. Very few recruits have received offers prior to visiting the Uconn campus - as far as I remember Tiff Hayes was the first (maybe K Greene.) And unlike some other schools Uconn doesn't issue offers unless they feel they are in with a real chance.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Also USA Basketball.

Just sayin'. I don't know, I haven't watched them personally. However, just pointing out your assessment and UCONN/USA Basketball's assessment don't seem to jive.

Meyers7: Who is "they" in this instance?
Also, are you referring to Angel Reese, the 6'3"wing/forward?
Thanks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7: Who is "they" in this instance?
Also, are you referring to Angel Reese, the 6'3"wing/forward?
Thanks.
USA Basketball.

Angel Reese, the 6-2 Guard (as listed by USA Basketball)

Reaction Score
Also USA Basketball.

I think Clark had an injured hand at the last USA tryouts and I'm pretty sure that's why she didn't make the team this time around.................if you watched last year's international play she was one of if not the best performer on the team............she's the number two ranked player and number one ranked guard on Hoopgurlz, not sure how the other rating services have rated her.........my bottom line.............there are three superb point guards in the 2020 class and I would be thrilled if UConn got any one of them

Reaction Score

did you watch the USA team with Bueckers and Clark last year? They both played well but I think Clark excelled in every facet of the game...............as Orangutan pointed out she also recently led her team to the EYBL Nike AAU Championship against the best national competition in her age group............definitely not as fluid an athlete as Bueckers or Van Lithe but just as effective in the end and with the kind of competitive disposition that UConn needs

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I view Clark as equal to Bueckers or Van Lith and given that UConn has offers out to both of them already in an incredibly competitive recruiting environment, I would have thought that Clark would also be given similar consideration to cover all of the best options at the PG position
Let say for the sake of argument that your view is correct=Clark =Bueckers =Van Lith.
As @meyers7 has said UCONN's views it Bueckers =Van Lith> Clark. Not really complicated. Covering you basis is not something UCONN has to do, UCONN believes in the evaluations and as @UcMiami said probably believe that they have a good shot at landing Van Lith and/or Bueckers.

......if UConn doesn't land Horston in 2019 and strikes out with Bueckers and Van Lith which is certainly possible, who is going to be running the team going forward?
Lol.
Are you really suggesting that with Christyn Williams, Megan Walker, Jordyn Horston , and Olivia Nelson Ododa on the roster UCONN can't find someone to run the point? Ok I'll bite, Mikayla Coombs will.

I'll answer my own question with a possible name that has come up lately.....Kateri Poole?
Kateri Poole? I though we had successfully squashed that idea.

Reaction Score
Let say for the sake of argument that your view is correct=Clark =Bueckers =Van Lith.
As @meyers7 has said UCONN's views it Bueckers =Van Lith> Clark. Not really complicated. Covering you basis is not something UCONN has to do, UCONN believes in the evaluations and as @UcMiami said probably believe that they have a good shot at landing Van Lith and/or Bueckers.

Lol.
Are you really suggesting that with Christyn Williams, Megan Walker, Jordyn Horston , and Olivia Nelson Ododa on the roster UCONN can't find someone to run the point? Ok I'll bite, Mikayla Coombs will.

Kateri Poole? I though we had successfully squashed that idea.

in my scenario UConn doesn't land Horston...........CW certainly could run the point but I'm not sure that's her best position on the floor.............Coombs is a mystery both in terms of her health and in terms of her basketball abilities..........I'm rooting for her to get back to playing and playing up to her abilities...........just looking for other quality PG's just in case............Ally Campbell and Poole are two highly ranked and fairly local possibilities.................

Reaction Score
did you watch the USA team with Bueckers and Clark last year? They both played well but I think Clark excelled in every facet of the game.....as Orangutan pointed out she also recently led her team to the EYBL Nike AAU Championship against the best national competition in her age group..definitely not as fluid an athlete as Bueckers or Van Lithe but just as effective in the end and with the kind of competitive disposition that UConn needs
I am agnostic on whether Clark is in the same league as Bueckers and Van Lith. My point was simply that the video you posted did not make the case and, if anything, suggested otherwise. I do agree that you don't have to be as fluid as Paige or as rabid as Hailey to be a top notch point guard. Azzi Fudd is a perfect example.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
in my scenario UConn doesn't land Horston......CW certainly could run the point but I'm not sure that's her best position on the floor...Coombs is a mystery both in terms of her health and in terms of her basketball abilities.....I'm rooting for her to get back to playing and playing up to her abilities......just looking for other quality PG's just in case..Ally Campbell and Poole are two highly ranked and fairly local possibilities.......
So in your scenario UCONN lands Zero recruits in the next two recruiting classes, and none of the existing players improve? :eek: That will make things real easy then because there will only be 5 players on the roster. Oh well, UCONN might as well start looking at some JUCO players right now.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Buekers looks a little bit quicker from the inbounds to the lane, with a quicker first step. Bueckers also has great body control, but Clark is no slouch. Clark seems to have equally nice court vision, an equally nice handle and a higher release on her shot. Long arms too. Clark seems to make everything look very easy and smooth. I've been a Bueckers fan too long though to jump off that Horse(ton) mid gallop, and it's hard to question Bueckers decision making having seen her in action against tough oponents.
Not to worry. There are plenty of Horston converts without you. But take heart, Bueckers did you proud in the U17 finals. She had roughly a thousand assists, many of them gorgeous, and more rebounds than is legal for a skinny guard. Once Amanda Kimball gets ahold of her she will be all world.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am agnostic on whether Clark is in the same league as Bueckers and Van Lith. My point was simply that the video you posted did not make the case and, if anything, suggested otherwise. I do agree that you don't have to be as fluid as Paige or as rabid as Hailey to be a top notch point guard. Azzi Fudd is a perfect example.
I'm less agnostic and could be convinced that Clark is on the same level as Bueckers and Van Lith not based on the video but based on where the three players were last summer and factoring Clark's injury this summer. But you last point is a very good one. Neither Bueckers nor Van Lith played much PG on this team. Carla's PG rotation this year was Fudd starting (led the team in minutes played) & Cooke almost entirely. Last summer Carla's rotation was Cooke starting and Clark as the backup @PG. Fudd and Clark have demonstrated more ability to play the point as game managers and 3pt shooter while Bueckers & Van Lith have demonstrated ability to play SG.
Doesn't matter much anyway, the same people advocating equality are the same ones that have them all going to ND.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not to worry. There are plenty of Horston converts without you. But take heart, Bueckers did you proud in the U17 finals. She had roughly a thousand assists, many of them gorgeous, and more rebounds than is legal for a skinny guard. Once Amanda Kimball gets ahold of her she will be all world.
I think you've wildly misunderstood. I was one of the first on this board to rave about Horston, and that from the first time I saw her on the floor at the U17's. I've also been plain about this, so let me restate. I want Jones 1st this year, then Horston and Boston as duel #2's. For me, Buecker's comes before HLV. So as you can see, I love This B kid, but I have 3 before her. None of these however are named Clark.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think you've wildly misunderstood. I was one of the first on this board to rave about Horston, and that from the first time I saw her on the floor at the U17's. I've also been plain about this, so let me restate. I want Jones 1st this year, then Horston and Boston as duel #2's. For me, Buecker's comes before HLV. So as you can see, I love This B kid, but I have 3 before her. None of these however are named Clark.
My preferences for 2019:

1. Boston
1. Jones
1. Horston
1. Amihere
1. Griffin

:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics