2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 156 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not so unworkable. And 7 over the next 2 years would mean a 12 woman roster, something that Geno has said he really doesn't want. 10 or 11 is his number. By "quality, I meant starter potential. Nine starter-quality players is eminently do-able in 2021. A couple of hard-working good character players willing to sit for 2 years can be added to the 7 over that 3 years And as for that subject of which we must not speak, there seems to be a balance between those going out and those arriving.

I've yet to see a 5+class bring success. TASS arrived 20 years ago and since then there isn't a school in the country that has duplicated anything close to that. UNC tried it with 4 and in 2 years they were gone. Before that it was Tenn in 2009. Another bust.

Besides, I find it hoggish to want 5 of the top eight or ten. I remember reading that sort of talk on one of the checkerboard sites years ago. "We'll take 5 or 6 if they are the right 5 or 6." I guess that sort of soured me to that sort of talk.
I don't find it hoggish at all: 1) UCONN is ultra selective about the offers it makes and does not over recruit. 2) Players make informed decision about attending UCONN & and often have more information about who else is coming before UCONN staff. 3) Every players offered by UCONN has the option of playing for many other good/great programs. 4) Quality varies greatly by class and position. 5) Assessment about quality are often wrong especially when you are talking about HS girls.
2019 appears to be a class with some very talented wings so my philosophy would be to grab as many willing quality players as possible and let the competitive atmosphere sort out the fittest. Non-quality ( I'm defining that to be a player "content" not to compete for starting role at UCONN) is a very rare commodity. This obvious issue there is UCONN must have enough bodies to practice and be productive. Last time UCONN found itself in this situation (not enough bodies) it had to resort to a pair of walkons followed shortly by a recruiting class that included what many determined to be another pair of role players.
This beast needs to be fed with quality recruits, I don't want UCONN WBB to slip into another dark ages of having to wait for another championship like we did last decade- you do realize we are already half way there right? :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
and I assume that's not accounting for any transfers are season ending injuries.....
Factor in the reality of the subject we are not to speculate about =average of 1 per year since 2013 and UCONN will need to bring in a
and I assume that's not accounting for any transfers are season ending injuries.....
???
bad_karma_warning_square_sticker-r711340408b924c118ee0bc49ca81829b_v9wf3_8byvr_307.jpg

Reaction Score
While I think the #'s in a class are important and I'm not a proponent of more than three highly ranked players in each class, I maybe wasn't clear that I meant more about the quality of those recruits.
I truly think that bringing in the four or five mentioned earlier, all who seem to be great choices individually is a problem. It's less so because it's very likely not happening. And if it did the next class would be impacted not just in #'s but three top recruits are not coming in top of those five and on top of MW, CW, Ono.
A rotation of 7-8 is seemingly Geno's preference and of course you need a roster of 11-13.
I just don't see Jones, Horston, Griffin, MW, CW, Bueckers, Hailey Van Lith and then Fudd as guards and wings on the same roster. That's eight players for three positions. From what one sees and reads both Bueckers and Fudd will play meaningful minutes from day one, if not start right away as freshman. Those eight players could fit three teams all very nicely, so why would the younger ones put themselves in that position even with Geno, CD and the best coaches and coaching staff?
I'm fine with Ono, Amihere, Boston and Brinks for bigs.
So it's not only about #'s it's about quality of those #'s.
Again, it also then means you sort of stop recruiting a Bent or Irwin, as they are ranked too low as HS players. When you do that you lose something, and even though they likely never become more than at best support players, they still play a valuable role.
I'm sorry for seemingly always presenting the potential negatives or risks, but more and better is not always better. If that sounds like a Yogi, so be it!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I don't find it hoggish at all: 1) UCONN is ultra selective about the offers it makes and does not over recruit. 2) Players make informed decision about attending UCONN & and often have more information about who else is coming before UCONN staff. 3) Every players offered by UCONN has the option of playing for many other good/great programs. 4) Quality varies greatly by class and position. 5) Assessment about quality are often wrong especially when you are talking about HS girls.
2019 appears to be a class with some very talented wings so my philosophy would be to grab as many willing quality players as possible and let the competitive atmosphere sort out the fittest. Non-quality ( I'm defining that to be a player "content" not to compete for starting role at UCONN) is a very rare commodity. This obvious issue there is UCONN must have enough bodies to practice and be productive. Last time UCONN found itself in this situation (not enough bodies) it had to resort to a pair of walkons followed shortly by a recruiting class that included what many determined to be another pair of role players.
This beast needs to be fed with quality recruits, I don't want UCONN WBB to slip into another dark ages of having to wait for another championship like we did last decade- you do realize we are already half way there right? :D
I agree with your worries and concerns and the first three quarters of this post at least make sense.
What gets me is we either are the creme de la creme or we revert to the Dark Ages (oh my if we only make the Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8). Just maybe we might not win every championship but remain very competitive most years. Sorry if that's what we have to settle for. Seemingly according to Geno (the all time master) that's not do shabby!
Also based upon on another thread while Geno is not there yet, it's only a matter of time. I'd guess no more than 3-5 years till CD and he retire.
Surely yours and our expectations may change then.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with your worries and concerns and the first three quarters of this post at least make sense.
What gets me is we either are the creme de la creme or we revert to the Dark Ages (oh my if we only make the Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8). Just maybe we might not win every championship but remain very competitive most years. Sorry if that's what we have to settle for. Seemingly according to Geno (the all time master) that's not do shabby!
Also based upon on another thread while Geno is not there yet, it's only a matter of time. I'd guess no more than 3-5 years till CD and he retire.
Surely yours and our expectations may change then.
Bronx23
If you truly believe Geno is satisfied with two undefeated regular season and losing in the FF two years in a row then you clearly do not know him as I do. My expectations of the program winning National Championship is largely based on Geno but not solely based on Geno. My expectation is based on the recruiting classes that keep coming to UCONN. Give Muffet, Jeff, Tara, Dawn or Kim the recent recruiting classes that have come to UCONN and my expectation of them would also be National Championships. Would those other coaches have achieved the same results? Of course not, they are not Geno.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Again, it also then means you sort of stop recruiting a Bent or Irwin, as they are ranked too low as HS players. When you do that you lose something, and even though they likely never become more than at best support players, they still play a valuable role.

Well, with all due respect to them, how many games have they helped UConn win in two years? I'd rather Bent and Irwin contribute more to winning. In fact, had they developed better UConn would be in a much better position for the upcoming season. Give me players that make teams great.

Reaction Score
If you truly believe Geno is satisfied with two undefeated regular season and losing in the FF two years in a row then you clearly do not know him as I do. My expectations of the program winning National Championship is largely based on Geno but not solely based on Geno. My expectation is based on the recruiting classes that keep coming to UCONN. Give Muffet, Jeff, Tara, Dawn or Kim the recent recruiting classes that have come to UCONN and my expectation of them would also be National Championships. Would those other coaches have achieved the same results? Of course not, they are not Geno.
No doubt Geno has gotten great results and will continue to do so as long as he chooses to continue coaching. Usually he out recruits and out coaches all of those other coaches. In the last two semi-final heart-breaking losses, he had the superior talent / recruits to the teams that were on the floor. Both times, against first Vic and then to MM, U Conn and he fell short a slither. Isn't then some of that on Geno, the other coaches, and the players in crunch time.
Sorry but your argument lacks some logic and doesn't always mesh with your, mine, Geno's and the teams outcomes.
Why not try to analyze it with a bit of a critical eye? I surely believe and genuinely hope Geno and the coaches and players have, so it doesn't happen this year!
Bronx23

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think Griffin is more of a 3. Swap her with Jones.

There may be some overlap, but Geno will figure it out.

The key points: 5 players may not be too many; it’s possible we will get all of them.
"Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.” – Dalai Lama XIV

Reaction Score
Well, with all due respect to them, how many games have they helped UConn win in two years? I'd rather Bent and Irwin contribute more to winning. In fact, had they developed better UConn would be in a much better position for the upcoming season. Give me players that make teams great.

Funny because I think they have contributed to winning just like Polly and Lawler did. It all starts in practice. And they make the other players work harder

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've yet to see a 5+class bring success. TASS arrived 20 years ago and since then there isn't a school in the country that has duplicated anything close to that. UNC tried it with 4 and in 2 years they were gone. Before that it was Tenn in 2009. Another bust.
Well the TASSK was a 5 player class. And it was pretty successful. 2 NC's. Before them Abrosimova/Schumaker/Czel/Glenney/Clark got a NC and a FF. DT's class was a 5 player class, DT/Conlon/Valley/Battle/Moore and they won 3 NC's and a FF. And Dolson/Hartley/Engeln/Johnson/Walker won 2 NC's.

Reaction Score
Well the TASSK was a 5 player class. And it was pretty successful. 2 NC's. Before them Abrosimova/Schumaker/Czel/Glenney/Clark got a NC and a FF. DT's class was a 5 player class, DT/Conlon/Valley/Battle/Moore and they won 3 NC's and a FF. And won 2 NC's.

DT/Conlon/Valley/Battle/Moore and they won 3 NC's
Three in fact but in reality only 2. You can't give both they and TASS credit for the 2002 title. And after that DT group left there was a huge hole in the roster because no one was behind them with enough experience to take over.

Dolson/Hartley/Engeln/Johnson/Walker won 2 titles
No. Dolson/Hartley won 2 titles. Engeln/Johnson/Walker didn't stay and only support my POV about large classes.

Reaction Score
No. Dolson/Hartley won 2 titles. Engeln/Johnson/Walker didn't stay and only support my POV about large classes.

IIRC Johnson was recovering from knee surgery when she got to UConn and then had another set back - she really was no longer a viable UConn player. Geno honored his commitment to her even with the injury. Walker was getting playing time and was a surprise transfer. Engeln was a hard worker but not talented enough. I actually think that class supports a reason you take a large class - particularly if they are as talented as the recruits being discussed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Funny because I think they have contributed to winning just like Polly and Lawler did. It all starts in practice. And they make the other players work harder

Lawlor and Pulido were brought in for practice purposes. Irwin and Bent are scholarship players brought in to contribute in games. It's nice if Irwin and Bent have done good things in practice but I don't think that comparison works at all.

Reaction Score
Lawlor and Pulido were brought in for practice purposes. Irwin and Bent are scholarship players brought in to contribute in games. It's nice if Irwin and Bent have done good things in practice but I don't think that comparison works at all.

Remember Megan Gardler? She sat on the bench for 3 years before contributing as a senior. Bent and Irwin are ahead of where she was after 2 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
An interview with Aubrey Griffin that you rarely see from a high school player:

TheDribbleDrop: If you were to highlight one facet of your game that makes you stand out, what would it be and why?

Aubrey Griffin: I would say my ability to create off the dribble. I feel like I have a good first step and I love to finish at the rim.

TheDribbleDrop: What is the ideal style of play based on your skill set?

Aubrey Griffin: I like to play more of an uptempo style offensively. I want to play with teammates who want to create in the open floor as much as possible.

TheDribbleDrop: Tell me one facet of your game your worked hard to improve on this off-season that you wanted to take to another level.

Aubrey Griffin: I have spent a lot of time working on my jump shot. I felt like my first year or so I did a lot of driving to the rim. I knew I needed to add balance to my game. I have spent a lot of time working on my jump shot to make it smoother in the mid-range.

Running The Wings: A Sitdown With Aubrey Griffin

Reaction Score
With all due respect, the best way to make the starters better is for 2nd team to either to push them for playing time or make starters work harder through strong defensive and/or offensive skills. Not sure our 2nd team currently falls into either category. Most teams have this issue but for a title contender a higher level of bench talent is always valuable.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well the TASSK was a 5 player class. And it was pretty successful. 2 NC's. Before them Abrosimova/Schumaker/Czel/Glenney/Clark got a NC and a FF. DT's class was a 5 player class, DT/Conlon/Valley/Battle/Moore and they won 3 NC's and a FF. And Dolson/Hartley/Engeln/Johnson/Walker won 2 NC's.
Clark is a name I don't recognize. What was her story?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Catholic HS and from the Mid-west ( Iowa) which some have equated to a ND lean.
Pure stroke as pretty as KML (not as accurate).
Great floor general (pace setter) as Geno once said of Mo Jefferson "She makes you play at her pace not yours"
Made U16 National team but had a hand injury this summer but still made it to last 18 for U17.
# 2 in ESPN and #5 in prospects. Legitimately in the conversation for best PG in 2020 with Van Lith, Bueckers, & Andrews.
Grew up a pure PG but because of size (legit 5'11") might have the ability to play SG and some on the wing.
Ceiling =Sabrina Ionescu
Floor= Gabbi Ortiz formerly of OK.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Great floor general (pace setter) as Geno once said of Mo Jefferson "She makes you play at her pace not yours"
Made U16 National team but had a hand injury this summer but still made it to last 18 for U17.
# 2 in ESPN and #5 in prospects. Legitimately in the conversation for best PG in 2020 with Van Lith, Bueckers, & Andrews.
Grew up a pure PG but because of size (legit 5'11") might have the ability to play SG and some on the wing.
Ceiling =Sabrina Ionescu

Thanks. I've seen her tapes on here. Looks quite good.

But I was talking about the Clark in @meyers7 's post about the five-member recruiting classes. In Sveta's class, he lists a player named Clark. No bells are ringing.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Ceiling =Sabrina Ionescu

Good post and good call re Sabrina. Clark`s game does appear to be very similar to Ionescu`s. Clark is a great shooter, an adept ball handler, a creative passer, and is able to take it to the hoop and beat players off the dribble while playing at a pace that would remind you of Sabrina. Not super fast, but quick enough for sure.

2020 is the year of the point guard. Need to get one, would love to get two. Sabrina has Cazorla in Oregon, a really good point guard, and Clark might benefit in the same fashion sharing those duties at the collegiate level.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Me either. Freshman Jean Clark is listed on the 1997-98 roster, but I have no memory of her. ??

UConn Husky Games: WBB: 1997-1998 Game Replays
She was only here one year, from CA. She had quite a bit of trouble with her legs that year. Couldn't play much. Transferred to U of Texas A&M Corpus Christi (the Islanders) where she played quite a bit for them. She was a fairly athletic forward. She holds the single season block shots record for them.

Reaction Score
“Right now I have a final seven,” she informed 270 Hoops. “In no particular order those schools are Ohio State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, UCLA, Louisville and UConn.”

She’s hoping that one of these schools can provide her with what she’s looking for, a winning-culture that’s family-oriented.

“I want to play with other girls that are good players who have the same mindset,” she said. “I also want a coach that knows how to push me and help me become a better player. I’m always just trying to work on everything, but I don’t want to be the same player in college I want to get better.”

If Horston can improve, she definitely has a shot to reach her ultimate goal, the WBNA, where she may get a chance to match up with two her favorite players, Maya Moore and Kelsey Mitchell.

She's Got Game: Jordan Horston is the top basketball prospect in Columbus

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom