2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 154 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think some would take her verbal as evidence that UConn had been rejected by other, more highly ranked players and would take her verbal to another school as evidence that UConn is losing it's attraction to top players. :rolleyes:
There certainly have been years when other schools have out-recruited UConn but if we were to keep a rolling 3 year list of signed recruits by rank, UConn would be on top by a wide margin in every one. But all it takes is one year without 2 or 3 top 5 players and to some the sky is falling. :)
Just look how doomed UCONN is! Samantha Brunelle is out here "recruiting" for ND. Aliyah Boston is "hesitating" to commit to UCONN. Aubrey "will definitely commit" and since she's only #56 in the class that is obviously going to drive #1 (Jones) and #2 (Horston) away from UCONN. Seriously? I don't even know why Geno bothers recruiting at all.

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I think Coach Auriemma learned his lesson with Charli Collier, that a verbal means absolutely nothing.

I think Collier's case was pretty unusual as she suffered the loss of a loved one and lived through a devastating hurricane which would make anybody think twice about leaving one's family .................It's early but off the top of my head I can't think of anther recruit that verbaled to UConn and then changed their mind in recent memory

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Collier's case was pretty unusual as she suffered the loss of a loved one and lived through a devastating hurricane which would make anybody think twice about leaving one's family .......It's early but off the top of my head I can't think of anther recruit that verbaled to UConn and then changed their mind in recent memory
Gemelos Leaves Uconn In Lurch

Reaction Score
I’m confused why you keep asking about Horston with relation to Griffin. Horston is a guard. Griffin is not. The 2 could play and start together with no issue.

really more a question of numbers, I'm sure all three could play at the same time as they all can play multiple positions...............while Griffin is listed as a wing I've seen her play both guard positions in high school............I've read that Horston plays either guard position and is also fully capable of playing the wing and Jones can play pretty much every position other then the post............add in Boston and you have another four recruit class...........I haven't looked at the numbers but lot's of talent in the 2020 class..........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago, UConn reportedly was optimistic about Jones and Horston. That doesn’t mean we’ll get them, but we have strong relationships with them. After UConn got a class of 2 last year, I could see Geno going as high as 5 this year: Amihere, Boston, Griffin, Horston, and Jones. I don’t think anyone scares anyone else away. Realistically, I think we’re more likely to get 3 or 4, but 5 is possible.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago, UConn reportedly was optimistic about Jones and Horston. That doesn’t mean we’ll get them, but we have strong relationships with them. After UConn got a class of 2 last year, I could see Geno going as high as 5 this year: Amihere, Boston, Griffin, Horston, and Jones. I don’t think anyone scares anyone else away. Realistically, I think we’re more likely to get 3 or 4, but 5 is possible.
I'm looking for all 5 of them too. That is a complete rotation. Boston-5, Amihere-4, Jones-3, Griffin-2, and Horston-1. None of them should be put off by the others.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm looking for all 5 of them too. That is a complete rotation. Boston-5, Amihere-4, Jones-3, Griffin-2, and Horston-1. None of them should be put off by the others.
I think Griffin is more of a 3. Swap her with Jones.

There may be some overlap, but Geno will figure it out.

The key points: 5 players may not be too many; it’s possible we will get all of them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That would be really satisfying.

Reaction Score
Wait until you see Caroline Ducharme! She is one of those ( DT and Maya type). We get one every now and then. It's all gravy!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait until you see Caroline Ducharme! She is one of those ( DT and Maya type). We get one every now and then. It's all gravy!!!!

Who? Not being a Twitterer I miss most of these nicknames. Maybe we need a glossary thread that lists all the names that recruits use. :)

Reaction Score
AHA! The bulb just lit. Is "dub" a version of "Dubya"? CW?

Not being a Texan my language skills are limited.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not being a Texan my language skills are limited.

It's not limited to Texas. Locally the University of Washington is often referred to as U-Dub. Contorting your fingers into roughly the shape of a W (it's not a gang sign!) is called throwing up your dubs.

Reaction Score
It's not limited to Texas. Locally the University of Washington is often referred to as U-Dub. Contorting your fingers into roughly the shape of a W (it's not a gang sign!) is called throwing up your dubs.

Where I come from it's referred to as UU.

Reaction Score
I totally defer to your knowledge about these young recruits.
My only concern is four or five will create an enormous logjam down the road, especially if two or three of these are guards or wings. This would be on top of CW and MW! Where then is the room (other than a true point guard to replace CD), in the immensely talented '20 and '21 classes.
Yes we can surely need and use a few more bigs / post players!
I hope we only get one of Jones, Horston and Griffin and either of the first two of those will be plenty!
The more the merrier #1 probably won't happen and can surely create problems even for the best coaching staff in the country combining all that talent as well as effecting future recruiting classes.
Again I strongly believe three is the most that's needed in next years class.
Bronx23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I totally defer to your knowledge about these young recruits.
My only concern is four or five will create an enormous logjam down the road, especially if two or three of these are guards or wings. This would be on top of CW and MW! Where then is the room (other than a true point guard to replace CD), in the immensely talented '20 and '21 classes.
Yes we can surely need and use a few more bigs / post players!
I hope we only get one of Jones, Horston and Griffin and either of the first two of those will be plenty!
The more the merrier #1 probably won't happen and can surely create problems even for the best coaching staff in the country combining all that talent as well as effecting future recruiting classes.
Again I strongly believe three is the most that's needed in next years class.
Bronx23
5 may be too many and could create a logjam, but I'm not worried.

CD has said, in an ideal world, we would get 4, 3, 4, and 3 over a recruiting cycle. I think 2 and 5 fits with that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
5 may be too many and could create a logjam, but I'm not worried.

CD has said, in an ideal world, we would get 4, 3, 4, and 3 over a recruiting cycle. I think 2 and 5 fits with that.

4 and 3 would work best this time too. Four of Boston, Horston, Jones, Amihere, and Griffin plus three of Bueckers, Van Lith, and Brink.

Reaction Score
4 and 3 would work best this time too. Four of Boston, Horston, Jones, Amihere, and Griffin plus three of Bueckers, Van Lith, and Brink.
On top of CD, MW, CW and Ono, Hmmm that's 11 players.
You know a great deal about recruiting and players skills, backgrounds but isn't that a bit excessive and problematic.
Sorry to be sarcastic but when CD graduates how many more do you want from the '21 class on top of, of course Azzi Fudd.
If this stuff ever happened even with the greatest coaching staff in college basketball history, there will be more dissatisfaction and disruption as multiple excellent players don't get reasonable playing time. This surely would lead to more transfers. And players like Molly and Irwin would have no place any longer at U Conn. Whose loss would that be?
U Conn is not and shouldn't become the only destination for every top recruit!
Bronx23

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On top of CD, MW, CW and Ono, Hmmm that's 11 players.
You know a great deal about recruiting and players skills, backgrounds but isn't that a bit excessive and problematic.
Sorry to be sarcastic but when CD graduates how many more do you want from the '21 class on top of, of course Azzi Fudd.

Those players cover two classes. Dangerfield will have graduated by the time the second of those classes begins college and Walker will be a senior. I'm one who has always been leery of overstuffing rosters but I think a 4-player 2019 class and 3-player 2020 class is beyond fine. As for 2021, haven't really thought of a number but there are at least 5-6 super intriguing talents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom