2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 155 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Continuing with the above post, there are currently 9 players guaranteed for the 2019 roster and 5 players for the 2020 roster barring any transfers.

If UConn brings in 4 next class that would be 13 players in 2019 . Another 3 players in '20 would make a 12-player roster for that year.

Three are set to graduate after '20 so that leaves 9 going into 2021 prior to adding freshmen. Which leads me to assume a 3-4 player class for '21.

Reaction Score
Again I defer to both of you Sluconn and Milford Conn as your knowledge of these players and their skill sets, fit, interest, etc. is far greater than mine.
Yes this is a wonderful dream/fantasy but while I don't see it actually happening, it takes excellent players and turns them into battling for the 7-10 spots. For me at least that might well lead to a variety of problems starting with why would some put themselves in that position? Yes most will understand that they will play limited minutes and important minutes their freshman year, it might extend some into their soph years. That may well lead to dissatisfactions and transfers.
I'll make a strange analogy, the Yankees (some of whom some of you like and others hate) did not do so well when their team kept buying and / or trading for the top players. I see the importance of mixing the greats with the excellents and throwing in a few goods and very goods.
Obviously each recruit will hopefully fully evaluate the numerous factors that go into narrowing their lists and making their verbal and then written commitment.
I'd like to see Boston, Amihere and either Jones or Horston in 2019. In 2020, I'd like either Bueckers or Hailey Van Lith, and then maybe we add a wing and big to that class. Of course everyone wants Fudd, and one or two more of those mentioned repeatedly but that's far, far away actually. We need to see how MW and CW and Ono develop and who from '19 comes and how they develop.
Also a thought not mentioned on this thread or board lately, is how and where Geno & CD will be thinking and feeling about their remaining years doing what they do so spectacularly. Of course, then is who becomes the next head coach and their assistants, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.
Bronx23

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
After the ESPN story about Aubrey Griffin's top two (Louisville and UConn) was published and without knowing what was going on between UConn and Aubrey, Raoul tweeted this:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Raoul then tweeted about interest from other schools. Since then, of course, Aubrey has been offered by UConn. Has he tweeted about that offer? Nope. Has he at least included the offer in his tweets listing multiple recent offers? Nope. The guy is a tool.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Raoul then tweeted about interest from other schools. Since then, of course, Aubrey has been offered by UConn. Has he tweeted about that offer? Nope. Has he at least included the offer in his tweets listing multiple recent offers? Nope. The guy is a tool.

That article about her being interested in other schools came out days before she was offered by UConn, just to be clear. It is strange to me that he hasn't said anything about the offer though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That article about her being interested in other schools came out days before she was offered by UConn, just to be clear. It is strange to me that he hasn't said anything about the offer though.

I'm fully aware that the article about interest from other schools was before her UConn offer. He knows she has an offer from UConn but has chosen not to tweet it. Why not? Probably because he mocked Griffin for not having a UConn offer before listing them as a finalist. He also thought it would be funny to retweet this:

Tool.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again I defer to both of you Sluconn and Milford Conn as your knowledge of these players and their skill sets, fit, interest, etc. is far greater than mine.
Yes this is a wonderful dream/fantasy but while I don't see it actually happening, it takes excellent players and turns them into battling for the 7-10 spots. For me at least that might well lead to a variety of problems starting with why would some put themselves in that position? Yes most will understand that they will play limited minutes and important minutes their freshman year, it might extend some into their soph years. That may well lead to dissatisfactions and transfers.
I'll make a strange analogy, the Yankees (some of whom some of you like and others hate) did not do so well when their team kept buying and / or trading for the top players. I see the importance of mixing the greats with the excellents and throwing in a few goods and very goods.
Obviously each recruit will hopefully fully evaluate the numerous factors that go into narrowing their lists and making their verbal and then written commitment.
I'd like to see Boston, Amihere and either Jones or Horston in 2019. In 2020, I'd like either Bueckers or Hailey Van Lith, and then maybe we add a wing and big to that class. Of course everyone wants Fudd, and one or two more of those mentioned repeatedly but that's far, far away actually. We need to see how MW and CW and Ono develop and who from '19 comes and how they develop.
Also a thought not mentioned on this thread or board lately, is how and where Geno & CD will be thinking and feeling about their remaining years doing what they do so spectacularly. Of course, then is who becomes the next head coach and their assistants, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.
Bronx23
It is fun to speculate about the numbers in each UCONN recruiting class but I do not share the concern of too many top players coming to UCONN or top players having to play limited minutes. UCONN has had many recent AA players who spent productive time on the bench learning and getting ready. Gabby is perhaps the poster child of this description but so were Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, & Napheesa Collier. I am struggling to think of a HS All-American who did not achieve AA status while at UCONN.
My worry meter works like this:
UCONN get all these AA players=no worries.
UCONN loses out on 1 or more of these key players=somewhat worried. Depends on where they land.
UCONN misses out on ALL of these players=very worried.
These highly touted player stop considering UCONN= distraught!

Reaction Score
Historically speaking Geno has done a pretty good job at managing recruits. Sure he has had a couple of bad years - either not enough accepted his offer or a group came in and decided to transfer but overall the record is pretty good. Given the number of injuries in the women’s game, the surprise transfers and those that just don’t fit in - I think you take the recruits you want and worry about the numbers later because you don’t really know ahead of time. And UConn has had a couple of subs drafted very high in the WNBA draft.

I think the players who sign with UConn are well aware that they are competing every year for playing time and if they accept the offer they are in essence saying they are up to the challenge.

Is it a violation of boneyard rules to speculate about transfers before the players have committed? :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am struggling to think of a HS All-American who did not achieve AA status while at UCONN.
The struggle is real.

Amy Duran (WBCA), Paige Sauer (WBCA), Asjha Jones (WBCA), Tamika Williams (WBCA), Ashley Battle (WBCA), Morgan Valley (WBCA), Ann Strother (WBCA), Wilnett Crockett (WBCA), Barb Turner (WBCA), Nicolle Wolfe (WBCA), Charde Houston (McD), Mel Thomas (McD), Kalana Greene (WBCA), Kaili McLaren (McD), Lorin Dixon (McD), Tiffany Hayes (McD), Kelly Faris (McD), Kiah Stokes (McD)

Tammy Arnold, Kennitra Johnson, Liz Sherwood, Samarie Walker, Brianna Banks, Sadie Edwards

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The struggle is real.

Amy Duran (WBCA), Paige Sauer (WBCA), Asjha Jones (WBCA), Tamika Williams (WBCA), Ashley Battle (WBCA), Morgan Valley (WBCA), Ann Strother (WBCA), Wilnett Crockett (WBCA), Barb Turner (WBCA), Nicolle Wolfe (WBCA), Charde Houston (McD), Mel Thomas (McD), Kalana Greene (WBCA), Kaili McLaren (McD), Lorin Dixon (McD), Tiffany Hayes (McD), Kelly Faris (McD), Kiah Stokes (McD)

Tammy Arnold, Kennitra Johnson, Liz Sherwood, Samarie Walker, Brianna Banks, Sadie Edwards

This would be a great off season topic to discuss. Who should have been an AA and why???

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This would be a great off season topic to discuss. Who should have been an AA and why???
Great idea, unfortunately I think this or a close version of it has been discussed in this thread from 2013.
Best players not Huskies of Honor?
My all time Non-Huskies Wall of Honor list would look like this:
C: Kiah Stokes
PF: Azura Stevens
SG: Tiffany Hayes
SF: Kelly Faris
PG: Kia Nurse

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn will continue to recruit well as long as Geno is coaching because top flight players want to learn from the best and win. I do think more and more players will transfer across all programs because kids are increasingly looking to get playing time in hopes of having a professional career.

This is where I am not really a huge fan of AAU but I know it will never disappear. A kid can go play for any AAU team within reason they so choose. I think that's been a big reason why we see "super teams" across various sports. There may never be another TASSK force type class that is that high profile and doesn't have a player leave for more PT.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn will continue to recruit well as long as Geno is coaching because top flight players want to learn from the best and win. I do think more and more players will transfer across all programs because kids are increasingly looking to get playing time in hopes of having a professional career.

This is where I am not really a huge fan of AAU but I know it will never disappear. A kid can go play for any AAU team within reason they so choose. I think that's been a big reason why we see "super teams" across various sports. There may never be another TASSK force type class that is that high profile and doesn't have a player leave for more PT.

Baylor put together a monster class for 2018 in my opinion. It may not be a TASSK force type of class, but they have 5 commitments and they're all top-30 (if you go by Hoopgurlz).

#3 Aquira DeCosta
#7 Queen Egbo
#13 NaLyssa Smith
#20 Honesty Scott-Grayson
#29 Caitlyn Bickle

If they all stay together I think they'll win a title or two... A huuuuge IF.

Reaction Score
Baylor put together a monster class for 2018 in my opinion. It may not be a TASSK force type of class, but they have 5 commitments and they're all top-30 (if you go by Hoopgurlz).

#3 Aquira DeCosta
#7 Queen Egbo
#13 NaLyssa Smith
#29 Caitlyn Bickle

Yep that's a huge class and it's impressive to get them committed and signed. I will be curious of they can stay together.

What often doesn't get mentioned here is Baylor is a pretty tough school. Mulkey always seems to lose a player or two each year but it's not an easy place to earn a degree. Of course Stanford is one of the best in the country and Tara doesn't seem to have attrition issues to the extent of Mulkey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
#3 Aquira DeCosta
#7 Queen Egbo
#13 NaLyssa Smith
#29 Caitlyn Bickle
If you go strictly by the numbers though TN had a better 2017 class of 4 player.
Westbrook #2
Hayes #6
Davis #9
Kushkituah #11
But................... it is TN, and the only thing that did was get Holly an extension - not that I'm complaining.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you go strictly by the numbers though TN had a better 2017 class of 4 player.
Westbrook #2
Hayes #6
Davis #9
Kushkituah #11
But.... it is TN, and the only thing that did was get Holly an extension - not that I'm complaining.

Completely forgot about that class. Kushkituah hasn't yet shown me she's deserving of a top 15 ranking. The rest have, I would say, in respect to that class, which wasn't a class that was stocked with elite talent.

Reaction Score
Historically speaking Geno has done a pretty good job at managing recruits. Sure he has had a couple of bad years - either not enough accepted his offer or a group came in and decided to transfer but overall the record is pretty good. Given the number of injuries in the women’s game, the surprise transfers and those that just don’t fit in - I think you take the recruits you want and worry about the numbers later because you don’t really know ahead of time. And UConn has had a couple of subs drafted very high in the WNBA draft.

I think the players who sign with UConn are well aware that they are competing every year for playing time and if they accept the offer they are in essence saying they are up to the challenge.

Is it a violation of boneyard rules to speculate about transfers before the players have committed? :rolleyes:
Ditto to Coco's and Yorkeez's comments. Most schools experiencing the same issues as UConn relative to injury and transfers. Seems like the new normal and certainly not unique to the Huskies. Not sure why some seem worried about too many recruits. I just want the first 2-3 to sign and based on past UConn history, expect them to be the ones Geno wants.

Reaction Score
Instead of one large class I prefer signing 7 quality recruits over 3 years. Trying to indoctrinate 5 freshman into an existing team can lead to problems. It overloads the coaches for one. Even if the players are elite it can't help but disrupt the team. I remember Geno saying several years ago that having a lot of freshman in practice means repeating basic stuff over and over because they can't get it right. There is no flow to practice and the team falls behind where they should be at. There was a year when Geno had a short but experienced squad and he loved the practices because they got so much done. Having a large freshman class also puts stress on the upperclassmen who have to nurse them through their first year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Instead of one large class I prefer signing 7 quality recruits over 3 years. Trying to indoctrinate 5 freshman into an existing team can lead to problems. It overloads the coaches for one. Even if the players are elite it can't help but disrupt the team. I remember Geno saying several years ago that having a lot of freshman in practice means repeating basic stuff over and over because they can't get it right. There is no flow to practice and the team falls behind where they should be at. There was a year when Geno had a short but experienced squad and he loved the practices because they got so much done. Having a large freshman class also puts stress on the upperclassmen who have to nurse them through their first year.
7 quality recruits over the next 3 years would just not cut it. In fact neither would 7 quality recruits over the next two years. Factor in the reality of the subject we are not to speculate about =average of 1 per year since 2013 and UCONN will need to bring in a minimum of 3 quality players per class over the next three classes.

upload_2018-7-19_17-38-32.png

Reaction Score
7 quality recruits over the next 3 years would just not cut it. In fact neither would 7 quality recruits over the next two years. Factor in the reality of the subject we are not to speculate about =average of 1 per year since 2013 and UCONN will need to bring in a minimum of 3 quality players per class over the next three classes.

View attachment 33071
Any 6-3 and up, athletic posts that are being recruited by UConn should be salivating at this depth chart over the next couple of years.

Reaction Score

View attachment 33071

Not so unworkable. And 7 over the next 2 years would mean a 12 woman roster, something that Geno has said he really doesn't want. 10 or 11 is his number. By "quality, I meant starter potential. Nine starter-quality players is eminently do-able in 2021. A couple of hard-working good character players willing to sit for 2 years can be added to the 7 over that 3 years And as for that subject of which we must not speak, there seems to be a balance between those going out and those arriving.

I've yet to see a 5+class bring success. TASS arrived 20 years ago and since then there isn't a school in the country that has duplicated anything close to that. UNC tried it with 4 and in 2 years they were gone. Before that it was Tenn in 2009. Another bust.

Besides, I find it hoggish to want 5 of the top eight or ten. I remember reading that sort of talk on one of the checkerboard sites years ago. "We'll take 5 or 6 if they are the right 5 or 6." I guess that sort of soured me to that sort of talk.

Reaction Score

View attachment 33071

and I assume that's not accounting for any transfers are season ending injuries..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom