2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 46 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere:

Through all of her earlier work, Amihere had quietly maintained a goal that could now be a little tougher to achieve: to jump from No. 2 in the ESPN rankings for the recruiting class of 2019 to No. 1, rarefied air for a Canadian prospect.

"I've been working. A couple of months ago I was actually ranked No. 3. Moving up to No. 2 was a good jump, but definitely getting to that No. 1 spot is my goal and what I strive for every day," she said.

Wherever she lands in the recruiting rankings, a college basketball program somewhere is going to be elated to welcome her. In September, she narrowed her list of potential schools down to 14, a wide net to be sure, with plenty of time to work through the choices before committing. She plans to take sports management courses wherever she lands, a goal which helped her narrow the options initially. On that list are some of college basketball's powerhouses. If they want to land Amihere, they'll have to offer more than just a winning pedigree.

"For me, what's really important is skill development. Being able to develop your players," she said. "Obviously, a lot of the top programs will do that. And obviously, the relationship I have with the coaches, that really sparked a lot. I know a lot of players that are NCAA, so asking around to my friends and my peers that are in the NCAA, I got a lot of insight. They really helped me through the process, telling me pros and cons and really what to watch out for."

Laeticia Amihere Is the Future of Women's Basketball

South Carolina, Louisville and Connecticut all have good Sports Management programs with SC and Louisville usually ranked in/around the top 10.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance! :cool:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
South Carolina, Louisville and Connecticut all have good Sports Management programs with SC and Louisville usually ranked in/around the top 10.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance! :cool:
But it's a shorter walk to ESPN from Storrs than it is from Columbia or Louisville. ;)

Reaction Score
And just think,next year she goes to high school,whoo hoo. Seriously though,this seems to be what coaches have to do to compete with other schools.It was only a short time ago that Geno wouldn't contact high school players until their junior year.Look for Walz and Freese to start canvassing premie wards and measuring tibias and femurs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And just think,next year she goes to high school,whoo hoo. Seriously though,this seems to be what coaches have to do to compete with other schools.It was only a short time ago that Geno wouldn't contact high school players until their junior year.Look for Walz and Freese to start canvassing premie wards and measuring tibias and femurs.
My 2-year-old granddaughter has parents who are nearly 6'4" and 5'11" and is off the growth charts. I should tell Jeff what she wants for Christmas.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Azzi and Burnelle spotted that the Maryland vs S. Carolina game. I’m hoping they are both Uconn leans.

Well Brunelle is still considering both schools and lives within a few hours drive and Fudd is no doubt being recruited by Maryland and she probably lives barely 30 minutes away.. I’d be more surprised if they weren’t there.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jordan Horston (2019), Kierstan Bell (2019), Gabby Hutcherson (2020, ESPN ranks her in the top 25) and Anyssa Jones (2020, Hutcherson's High School Teammate) were all at the Countdown to Columbus. Horston and Bell were sitting in the section behind the UConn/OSU bench. I also, not surprisingly, saw Myra Gordon there as well.

Reaction Score
Jordan Horston (2019), Kierstan Bell (2019), Gabby Hutcherson (2020, ESPN ranks her in the top 25) and Anyssa Jones (2020, Hutcherson's High School Teammate) were all at the Countdown to Columbus. Horston and Bell were sitting in the section behind the UConn/OSU bench. I also, not surprisingly, saw Myra Gordon there as well.

Myra has been unranked by ESPN lately although PN rates her at #22.........she still has plenty of time to develop her game............

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere:

Through all of her earlier work, Amihere had quietly maintained a goal that could now be a little tougher to achieve: to jump from No. 2 in the ESPN rankings for the recruiting class of 2019 to No. 1, rarefied air for a Canadian prospect.

"I've been working. A couple of months ago I was actually ranked No. 3. Moving up to No. 2 was a good jump, but definitely getting to that No. 1 spot is my goal and what I strive for every day," she said.

Wherever she lands in the recruiting rankings, a college basketball program somewhere is going to be elated to welcome her. In September, she narrowed her list of potential schools down to 14, a wide net to be sure, with plenty of time to work through the choices before committing. She plans to take sports management courses wherever she lands, a goal which helped her narrow the options initially. On that list are some of college basketball's powerhouses. If they want to land Amihere, they'll have to offer more than just a winning pedigree.

"For me, what's really important is skill development. Being able to develop your players," she said. "Obviously, a lot of the top programs will do that. And obviously, the relationship I have with the coaches, that really sparked a lot. I know a lot of players that are NCAA, so asking around to my friends and my peers that are in the NCAA, I got a lot of insight. They really helped me through the process, telling me pros and cons and really what to watch out for."

Laeticia Amihere Is the Future of Women's Basketball

Excellent article. Every once in a while, you come across an athlete that stands out from most of the others, and you are so impressed, you want them to join YOUR family. I must admit, it's hard to read articles like this about an athlete that is driven to be the best she can be, and appears to be a "perfect fit" for your program. Now that I've been introduced to Laeticia Amihere, I won't forget her.

It's a name I'll remember. I'll keep track of her until she commits somewhere (hopefully UConn). I'll admit right here and now to being selfish, I want Amihere to be a Husky (if the staff wants her too). I know UConn can't recruit everyone, and that UConn is not for everyone. She's smart, intelligent, skilled, TALL, has a great work ethic, and wants to be great, what's not to like?

With her work ethic and determination, you can tell she's going to be highly successful no matter where she goes. I believe that all of the things she'll be looking for in a college/university in general, and a women's basketball program specifically, can be found in Storrs.

If you want to be great, and follow in the footsteps of those greats that have preceded you, back track and find out where most of them went to college. UConn has launched their fair share of high school grads into the upper echelon of college and professional basketball, and prepared them for life afterwards. If you strive to be the best, then should you go to the best coach(s)/teacher(s) available for that next level of training and counsel. Just a little research in this area should lead her directly to Storrs after her HS graduation.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Azzi and Burnelle spotted that the Maryland vs S. Carolina game. I’m hoping they are both Uconn leans.

Sometimes a recruit can attend a game and see and/or hear things they don't like from the coaches as well as the players. It can work both ways.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It’s only natural for Canadians to want to play for a school whose mascot is a Husky. I hope she and Laeticia Amihere come to our game in Toronto.

If she attends, Kia should make it a point (if she's allowed to) to meet and talk to Amihere (establish a rapport, and introduce her to the rest of the team) so as to whet her appetite for all things UConn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
wow....did not hear that before....a real shame, fortunately the surgery to repair the ACL has proven to be pretty successful but she certainly loses important development time
This was included in the article:

"That work is, unfortunately, about to become more difficult. In late October, Amihere tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her knee going for a layup in a game, ending her 2017-18 campaign. Amihere's camp will practice caution to limit the chances of aggravation or re-injury. A good amount of research has focused on how to prevent ACL tears in young, female athletes—who studies have shown are more likely than male athletes to experience such injuries—but less information is available about the likelihood of and risk factors for re-injury. Amihere is hoping to return to action for 2018-19, which would give her a full year to get herself ready for her freshman college season".

This does not change my opinion of her one bit. Gabby and Tuck had knee problems, ONO has knee problems, no problem!! :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well Brunelle is still considering both schools and lives within a few hours drive and Fudd is no doubt being recruited by Maryland and she probably lives barely 30 minutes away.. I’d be more surprised if they weren’t there.
Sam lives about 2 hours away, and Azzi lives about 30 minutes away (plus traffic). I hope to watch both this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I remember checking with @CoachBill in the spring to see if Myra had moved off the PG position into more of SG/Wing position. The numbers (low assist, high rebounds) certainly makes it look that way. This might be an excellent move for Myra because her class is loaded with PGs. At her size & with PG skills she could make a dramatic jump in the class at wing/SG say below Sydney Parrish #7 and above Maddie Burke #16.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom