2018 Recruiting | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nelson-Ododa, a straight-A student who takes honors courses and wants to study medicine, has made official visits to Connecticut, Florida State and South Carolina. She will tour Duke next weekend.

After the Duke trip, she said she will "compare and contrast" her finalists and could make a decision at that point.

"What I'm looking for is a strong balance between basketball and academics, and a program where I can fit in well," she said. "I keep notes with me, and I'm constantly analyzing each school."

I read things like this and immediately think about how Duke WBB should be cleaning up with kids like Olivia. The fact that the Duke athletic department is apparently okay that it doesn't is mind-boggling. Maybe Olivia will choose Duke but in important respects (academics, location) it should be a no-brainer.

Georgia and UConn are ranked about the same academically (Georgia a couple slots higher nationally and for public universities), followed by FSU and then SC.

Lots to analyze but most of these decisions come down to where recruits feel most comfortable.
Playing for Geno is like taking a series of classes with a Nobel Prize winner.

Reaction Score
I don't see why she would become a cyanotic satan when she could join our wonderful family of cute little huskies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The same thought came to mind for me too. She may be more concerned about pursuing her medical degree after graduation, than playing professional basketball, and is just using an athletic scholarship to reach/achieve that portion of her journey. :rolleyes:
Possibly, but with Elizabeth Williams' recruitment, a big deal was made about her parents being doctors, and how Liz wanted to follow in their footsteps and get a MD. Hence the choice to go to Duke and get a Duke degree there, thus opening all kinds of MD doors for her.

And yet 4 years after graduating, she's still in the WNBA (is she playing abroad as well?).

Is she using her MD from Duke? I realize it's possible that she could pursue a medical career after her pro hoops days are up, but it's not like she launched into it immediately upon graduation. Anyone wonder if she would have been a better player under Geno's tutelage vs. Joanne McCallie's?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So is ONO visiting Duke this weekend or is it next weekend?
Date on the ESPN article is 26 October-yesterday. Article says : "She will tour Duke next weekend".

Reaction Score
Man, quit being such a worrywart.

There is less than a one percent chance of her being a blue devil next year

I'd give you better odds then that..........after all it appears she is basing her decision on basketball and academics some what equally unlike many top recruits.............

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With ONO a lot of it comes down to what she prioritizes. With zero inside info, I will be somewhat surprised if Connecticut is where she ends up. All of the schools listed are in the south, and she listed Duke first among her finalists. UCONN is the obvious choice for developing into a great basketball player and winning championships, but the downside is it's far from home and has very cold winters.

Out of the other 4, I don't see her landing at Georgia. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single top 5-10 prospect who chose a mediocre program close to home over a national powerhouse. Many times a player will have the home program in her final list as a sign of respect, but she never goes there. The lone exception I can think of is Delle Donne, but Elena initially chose a top program before realizing she wasn't happy with her pick and quit basketball for a full year and a half.

Of the other 3, if she prioritizes academics Duke is the obvious pick. At Duke though, it'll be a long shot for her to play in a Final Four and with all the reports of unhappy players/alum, it's a bit disconcerting. That said, as of late, Duke players have actually been extremely successful in the pros. You have players like Chelsea Gray, Elizabeth Williams, Thomas (x2), and Christmas who've carved out really good WNBA careers for themselves. ONO could be a focal point from day 1, get a top notch education, be close to home and play for a program with a lot of success post college.

At South Carolina, she'll have a chance to step in and be a major factor from day 1 replacing Wilson inside and could challenge for championships every year. She also has Staley who is the Olympic head coach, and Dawn has done a nice job developing forwards and posts in her time at South Carolina. SC is also just a 3 hour drive from home for her compared to 5 hours from Duke or FSU. I'd bet my money on SC if I had to guess where she'd end up.

At FSU, she'll be close to home and will play for a year in and year out successful program, but unless she really loves the campus or the team/coaches, I don't see why she'd opt for FSU over South Carolina considering both programs bring a lot of similarities to the table, but SC seems like a better option in most respects.

We'll see how it shakes out. My guess is you guys land Williams but not ONO, and then haul in another monster class in 2019 with at least one of Brunelle or Amihere.

Reaction Score
With ONO a lot of it comes down to what she prioritizes. With zero inside info, I will be somewhat surprised if Connecticut is where she ends up. All of the schools listed are in the south, and she listed Duke first among her finalists. UCONN is the obvious choice for developing into a great basketball player and winning championships, but the downside is it's far from home and has very cold winters.

Out of the other 4, I don't see her landing at Georgia. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single top 5-10 prospect who chose a mediocre program close to home over a national powerhouse. Many times a player will have the home program in her final list as a sign of respect, but she never goes there. The lone exception I can think of is Delle Donne, but Elena initially chose a top program before realizing she wasn't happy with her pick and quit basketball for a full year and a half.

Of the other 3, if she prioritizes academics Duke is the obvious pick. At Duke though, it'll be a long shot for her to play in a Final Four and with all the reports of unhappy players/alum, it's a bit disconcerting. That said, as of late, Duke players have actually been extremely successful in the pros. You have players like Chelsea Gray, Elizabeth Williams, Thomas (x2), and Christmas who've carved out really good WNBA careers for themselves. ONO could be a focal point from day 1, get a top notch education, be close to home and play for a program with a lot of success post college.

At South Carolina, she'll have a chance to step in and be a major factor from day 1 replacing Wilson inside and could challenge for championships every year. She also has Staley who is the Olympic head coach, and Dawn has done a nice job developing forwards and posts in her time at South Carolina. SC is also just a 3 hour drive from home for her compared to 5 hours from Duke or FSU. I'd bet my money on SC if I had to guess where she'd end up.

At FSU, she'll be close to home and will play for a year in and year out successful program, but unless she really loves the campus or the team/coaches, I don't see why she'd opt for FSU over South Carolina considering both programs bring a lot of similarities to the table, but SC seems like a better option in most respects.

We'll see how it shakes out. My guess is you guys land Williams but not ONO, and then haul in another monster class in 2019 with at least one of Brunelle or Amihere.

2010 #5 Kaneisha Horn picked Alabama
2013 #2 Kaela Davis picked GA Tech
2015 #3Jessica Shepard pick Nebraska

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Very solid reasoning @bballnut90. I am betting (more like hoping) that ONO chooses UCONN because UCONN is best equipped to deal with the biggest anxiety in her life right now, which is, how well she recover form her knee injury. I don't think being away from home will create much anxiety because she was going to have to make a new circle of friends wherever she went. I don't think being cold will be an issue she'll get issued a winter coat. The UCONN staff will have very recent experience in Gabby and a coach in Shea that each successfully recovered from what might have been mind crippling injuries. Only at UCONN will she not be the team's best player and expected to carry the team on day 1. ONO is a very capable player but the burden of getting well and simultaneously carrying a team might prove to be too heavy.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Rellah was very good in the McDonald's game, when she hit a bunch of threes. She was not so good in the Jordan Brand game, when she missed a bunch of threes. She’s big and strong, but could be in much better shape. Joyner Holmes looks like LeBron. Rellah looks like Barkley.
Maybe Barkley without the tats.

Reaction Score
Gut instinct.

Well if you want a scientific guess.... I'll say 60% Lesser Carolina 30% UCONN 7% Georgia 2.25% Florida State and 0.75% Duke.

love that Lesser Carolina!! Does that make North Carolina Greater Carolina?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2010 #5 Kaneisha Horn picked Alabama
2013 #2 Kaela Davis picked GA Tech
2015 #3Jessica Shepard pick Nebraska

Good finds. It’s worth noting that all 3 ended up transferring out of their home schools, with two players transferring to top programs. I’d guess she ends up at SC or Duke and Williams makes her way to Storrs.

Reaction Score
The recruiting picture short term results are troubling. We have two players from last year and two players from this year's class that can not keep up with pace. They do not have athletic speed as part of their makeup. This is future core of our team playing against Texas and South Carolina in two years? Shea Ralph and Chris Daily are charge of recruiting so they know better.
Do you agree?

Reaction Score
The recruiting picture short term results are troubling. We have two players from last year and two players from this year's class that can not keep up with pace. They do not have athletic speed as part of their makeup. This is future core of our team playing against Texas and South Carolina in two years? Shea Ralph and Chris Daily are charge of recruiting so they know better.
Do you agree?

nope......................very few UConn freshmen can keep up with the pace..........they have never experienced anything like it unless they've been chased by a Grizzly Bear..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom