2018 Recruiting | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nelson-Ododa, a straight-A student who takes honors courses and wants to study medicine, has made official visits to Connecticut, Florida State and South Carolina. She will tour Duke next weekend.

After the Duke trip, she said she will "compare and contrast" her finalists and could make a decision at that point.

"What I'm looking for is a strong balance between basketball and academics, and a program where I can fit in well," she said. "I keep notes with me, and I'm constantly analyzing each school."

I read things like this and immediately think about how Duke WBB should be cleaning up with kids like Olivia. The fact that the Duke athletic department is apparently okay that it doesn't is mind-boggling. Maybe Olivia will choose Duke but in important respects (academics, location) it should be a no-brainer.

Georgia and UConn are ranked about the same academically (Georgia a couple slots higher nationally and for public universities), followed by FSU and then SC.

Lots to analyze but most of these decisions come down to where recruits feel most comfortable.

Reaction Score
I was pretty impressed by this and I don’t have medical aspirations... I know Olivia had to love it. Sounds really cool.

I understand Geno just called her to say that she could actually perform two knee operations at UConn..........if she screws up the entire team has to run 20 laps around Gampel..........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
more likely it's the plain fact that most of the big's are from either Texas or the Southeast US and the majority of those kids just stay close to home.....the Texas schools have had a great geographic advantage in the past few years.....hopefully more high school talent will come from the the Middle Atlantic and Northeast in the future

Hmm. A lot of ND posts are from the same region: Ruth Riley (Indiana), Deveraux Peters (Illinois) and Ariel Braker (Michigan). But we've had two very good ones come from outside the midwest: Natalie Achonwa, from outside Hamilton, Ontario; and, Brianna Turner, from a suburb of Houston. Turner surprised many by leaving Texas but looks to be one of those folks who can find the best in a lot of place. (Glad she did :) )

Reaction Score
Sounds like ONO might head to Duke, while Uconn would help get her ready for the pros, maybe the knee injury will have her think what would she do if she doesn’t have a long playing career.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sounds like ONO might head to Duke, while Uconn would help get her ready for the pros, maybe the knee injury will have her think what would she do if she doesn’t have a long playing career.
Well, ONO could go to Duke and then follow the same path to UConn that Z did, but I would strongly prefer that she eliminate the interim step. :)

Reaction Score
Hmm. A lot of ND posts are from the same region: Ruth Riley (Indiana), Deveraux Peters (Illinois) and Ariel Braker (Michigan). But we've had two very good ones come from outside the midwest: Natalie Achonwa, from outside Hamilton, Ontario; and, Brianna Turner, from a suburb of Houston. Turner surprised many by leaving Texas but looks to be one of those folks who can find the best in a lot of place. (Glad she did :) )

I'm not talking historically, just recently...............if the roles were reversed do you think great NY/NJ area recruits would be leaving for Texas or Baylor? Maybe one or two but not many............

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sounds like ONO might head to Duke, while UConn would help get her ready for the pros, maybe the knee injury will have her think what would she do if she doesn't have a long playing career.

The same thought came to mind for me too. She may be more concerned about pursuing her medical degree after graduation, than playing professional basketball, and is just using an athletic scholarship to reach/achieve that portion of her journey. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The same thought came to mind for me too. She may be more concerned about pursuing her medical degree after graduation, than playing professional basketball, and is just using an athletic scholarship to reach/achieve that portion of her journey. :rolleyes:
That makes sense, but why drop Stanford from your list if that’s your goal?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

It does? All things being equal she should head to Duke but, as we know, all things are not equal when it comes to wbb at Duke. I do think she hit it off with Z during her visit.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You do realize that top ten recruits that go to Duke also can make it to the pros, right? :rolleyes: Barring injury of course.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That makes sense, but why drop Stanford from your list if that’s your goal?

Maybe the fact that Stanford is maybe 3,000 miles from home had something to do with that?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe the fact that Stanford is maybe 3,000 miles from home had something to do with that?
Yes, but if ONO wants to stay close to home, and Durham would be at the outer edge of staying close to her home in Winder, GA, then why is UConn still on the list?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not talking historically, just recently.....if the roles were reversed do you think great NY/NJ area recruits would be leaving for Texas or Baylor? Maybe one or two but not many..

Gosh, I didn't realize Ace was ancient history :rolleyes:!

You know it's interesting: I'm not certain the great NY/NJ players have that many top D1 options: UConn and Maryland are right there, but Rutgers has lost its luster and Penn State had a run a few years back, but has seemingly receded into the B1G pack. The ACC and certain B1G schools are and will be a draw. And others that are far away have allure for various reasons (Florida, LA schools, Stanford).

That said, I get your point...I think most players are going to feel comfortable in places that feel right to them. And most of those are places that are away...but not too far away or have lots of kids from the region (ND, Michigan, for example), says the father of 3 college grads and one current senior.

Celeste Taylor's dad may have gone to Texas, but I'll bet most of the other schools she considers are going to be a lot closer. Ditto for 2019's Faith Masonius, Diamond Miller, Michelle Sidor and Lauren Hansen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, but if ONO wants to stay close to home, and Durham would be at the outer edge of staying close to her home in Winder, GA, then why is UConn still on the list?

Who knows :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
It does? All things being equal she should head to Duke but, as we know, all things are not equal when it comes to wbb at Duke. I do think she hit it off with Z during her visit.

Great point Cat. I hadn't thought of THAT dynamic until now. Who could give her a real behind the scenes assessment/report of what she can expect at Duke as a scholarship athlete on the women's basketball team, than someone who recently played there for two years, then left for reasons that were not made public?

Reasons that could be shared with her one on one privately? Visiting any school on a recruiting visit is always suspect. There's the glamor, and Ritz, the smiles and hugs you see/get during your visit, and then there's the "warts" of the campus/program/players/staff (possible internal team turmoil not revealed to potential recruits) you don't see until you arrive on campus after you commit and enroll, i.e., North Carolina several years ago. It's possible she may have came away with a different perspective about Duke after spending time with Stevens.

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Like Williams and Gray? or Jackson, Chidom, and Cooper?

Williams, Gray, Jasmine Thomas, and Krystal Thomas. Chidom and Cooper weren't consensus top 10 players. Jackson suffered a significant knee injury in college.

Reaction Score
Gosh, I didn't realize Ace was ancient history :rolleyes:!

You know it's interesting: I'm not certain the great NY/NJ players have that many top D1 options: UConn and Maryland are right there, but Rutgers has lost its luster and Penn State had a run a few years back, but has seemingly receded into the B1G pack. The ACC and certain B1G schools are and will be a draw. And others that are far away have allure for various reasons (Florida, LA schools, Stanford).

That said, I get your point...I think most players are going to feel comfortable in places that feel right to them. And most of those are places that are away...but not too far away or have lots of kids from the region (ND, Michigan, for example), says the father of 3 college grads and one current senior.

Celeste Taylor's dad may have gone to Texas, but I'll bet most of the other schools she considers are going to be a lot closer. Ditto for 2019's Faith Masonius, Diamond Miller, Michelle Sidor and Lauren Hansen.

Unfortunately we haven't had many top area recruits lately but I think that's going to change for the better over the next few years...........yes UConn, Maryland, Syracuse and the other ACC schools and ND would be logical choices for recruits in the Northeast mid Atlantic states...........culturally Texas and the deep south is a whole different ball game.......

Reaction Score
Great point Cat. I hadn't thought of THAT dynamic until now. Who could give her a real behind the scenes assessment/report of what she can expect at Duke as a scholarship athlete on the women's basketball team, than someone who recently played there for two years, then left for reasons that were not made public?

Reasons that could be shared with her one on one privately? Visiting any school on a recruiting visit is always suspect. There's the glamor and Ritz you see during your visit, and the "warts" of the campus/program (possible internal team turmoil not revealed to potential recruits) you don't see until you arrive on campus after you commit and enroll, i.e., North Carolina several years ago. It's possible she may have came away with a different perspective about Duke after spending time with Stevens.
Z simply advised her to be prepared to feel like a speed bump if she went to Duke, inevitably coach P would throw her under the bus

Carnac

Reaction Score
Z simply advised her to be prepared to feel like a speed bump if she went to Duke, inevitably coach P would throw her under the bus

Good one MHS!!! :p

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we haven't had many top area recruits lately but I think that's going to change for the better over the next few years......yes UConn, Maryland, Syracuse and the other ACC schools and ND would be logical choices for recruits in the Northeast mid Atlantic states......culturally Texas and the deep south is a whole different ball game..
It would seem so but Columbia, SC and South Bend are about the same distance from NYC. I have lived in both CT and IN and I think most of IN would be more similar to the south culturally, certainly politically. South Bend may be moderated a bit by being located on the fringe of Da Region.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom