2018 Recruiting | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

Reaction Score
Does anybody have any insight or speculation regarding the 2018 recruiting class or (to be more specific) Christyn Williams, etc?

Goooooooo UConn!
#Quest4Twelve

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She visits Storrs on Oct. 13 and has about 5 finalists. In another thread, it says that she has moved her Texas visit from Oct. 6 to Oct. 20, to be there when Charli Collier visits. I think CWill may have been a UConn lean, but Texas is definitely in the picture now. She is in Knoxville this weekend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Does anybody have any insight or speculation regarding the 2018 recruiting class or (to be more specific) Christyn Williams, etc?

Goooooooo UConn!
#Quest4Twelve

To take flyryguy's inquiry a step further, I just took a quick peek at the ESPN' hoopgirlz 2018 list of top ranked recruits. There are still a number of un-committed post players left.

Does anyone know if UConn has any interest in any of these ladies aside from ONO?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To take flyryguy's inquiry a step further, I just took a quick peek at the ESPN' hoopgirlz 2018 list of top ranked recruits. There are still a number of un-committed post players left.

Does anyone know if UConn has any interest in any of these ladies aside from ONO?
Not to my knowledge. Their focus among bigs was Collier, Nelson-Ododa, and Smith. I hope the coaches feel good about Boston.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not to my knowledge. Their focus among bigs was Collier, Nelson-Ododa, and Smith. I hope the coaches feel good about Boston.

I don't want to suffer through another year of UConn being "height deprived", as they did last season. That was awful. If AZ plays her final two years of eligibility as most of us hope, that will give Geno a little more time to find a suitable post player(s) for the 2019-2020 season.

I understand that the details (M.O.U.) of her coming to UConn have not been made public, but I still find it hard to believe Geno would bring her in to come off the bench (as some posters think), and do it for only one year.

I think she is here for two, and that she starts!! I could be wrong,. If I am, it won't be the first or last time. That's been my take from the day it was announced she was transferring. She wanted to leave Duke, but was not satisfied to go just anywhere, and Geno (wearing a fresh new Monty Hall suit) stepped right up. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I understand that the details (M.O.U.) of her coming to UConn have not been made public, but I still find it hard to believe Geno would bring her in to come off the bench (as some posters think), and do it for only one year.
Such an understanding in not in keeping with how Geno runs his program. At UCONN discussions about who start & positions played are never made public. Whether Azura starts or not will be determined by how well she practices and plays and how well her teammates practice and play. If Azura does not start, it will only be because another UCONN player is practicing and playing better. Considering how talented Azura is that would be a damn good thing to the UCONN team as a whole. Even the best of the best WCBB players (DT, Maya, Stewie) spent some time on the UCONN bench because they had more talented teammates.

Reaction Score
We need post players. Desperately. Collier's defection was the biggest defection blow since EDD. It's gonna hurt for years.

We might win the NC this year. But Texas will be very strong with her.

Reaction Score
We need post players. Desperately. Collier's defection was the biggest defection blow since EDD. It's gonna hurt for years.

Aston is still the coach, I see Texas like Tennessee, will be a bunch of great athletes, but you still need a certain level of coaching to get all that talent to play as one, to develop, and to win.

Reaction Score
Aston is still the coach, I see Texas like Tennessee, will be a bunch of great athletes, but you still need a certain level of coaching to get all that talent to play as one, to develop, and to win.

Aston is a far better coach then Holly, that said, the real question is whether these high octane Texas players are willing to play consistent defense and play as a team.....................

Reaction Score
I don't want to suffer through another year of UConn being "height deprived", as they did last season. That was awful.

Suffer? Awful? I thought that last year was among the most entertaining seasons in history. Great offense. Great defense. Many memorable highlight plays.

I hope that was intended as a form of sarcasm.

Reaction Score

If ONO somehow chooses UConn or if Boston and or one or two other 2019 top 30 posts head to Storrs it shouldn't be such a terrible loss...........for 2018, Queen Egbo is still available but there's no interest on either side.....I'm not aware of any other posts that would be helpful

Reaction Score

If UConn can sign Magbegor and Williams for 2018 or a class of Brunelle, Boston, Amihere/Jones for 2019 then nobody will even remember Collier's name.

Reaction Score

Yes Losing Collier will hurt and Texas has an up and coming program.... I really like Texas.... think it has a decent coach and the makings of future success.

But having said that.... they are going to have to show me that they have sufficient skill at the guard positions.... mainly PG, good enough to feed the bigs and run the show. Most important position in WCBB is head coach, after that it is PG. Good luck to the Lady Longhorns, but if they want to take any future titles, they had better shine on the back line

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has there been confirmation that Williams has in fact changed her official visit to Texas to the weekend of Oct 20?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Has there been confirmation that Williams has in fact changed her official visit to Texas to the weekend of Oct 20?
A surprisingly good question. TARZAN22 reported that on Friday, without a link. No one questioned it until now. I can't find confirmation.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have to agree. I love Aston as a person. I like Aston as an X's and O's coach. I like her ability to pull her troops together. I like her ability to recruit and amass talent. Nevertheless, her on court decisions, sometimes her ability to get her troops to follow her game plan, as well as her ability to get her troops in the best basketball shape are all suspect to me.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Suffer? Awful? I thought that last year was among the most entertaining seasons in history. Great offense. Great defense. Many memorable highlight plays.

Yeah, 111 consecutive victories was a mind-bending achievement but, falling short of a NC---well, let's just say that I've fallen victim to the potato chip syndrome.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Look at the rest of my comment, don't stop at the first sentence. My comment is one man's opinion. There have been other seasons I thought were more entertaining that last year's. Perception means different things to different people. So, please understand that we're two different people looking at this from different perspectives. You see the glass as half full, I see it as half empty.

Perhaps "awful" and suffer" were not the best words I could have used, but they were close. Based on their bench consisting of 3 freshmen, a walk-on and Butler, UConn over-achieved last year. BEFORE the start of the season, UConn was not projected to lose only 1 game. Most teams that are height challenged as they were, usually (not always) are over whelmed by larger teams (Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland,Texas, South Carolina etc.), and don't go as far into the tournament as they did. The awful suggestion referred to having to go through a season with no height. With Gabby having to play out of position all year (with help from Collier). It also referred to losing to MS, which should not have happened.

Lou at 6'3", is not a post player. Enter 5'11 Gabby Williams. She was asked to guard post players up to 8 inches taller, and giving up as much as 35 lbs. Ditto Collier at 6'1". Neither of these ladies are post players, but under took the challenge none the less, and did an outstanding job!! When UConn played teams with height, they were at a disadvantage. True, there were able to over come that challenge except in their last game. Their lack of height was not the sole reason they lost to MS, but it played a part. If you remember, UConn was out rebounded by 6, 37-31.

We all know and remember what happen, so no need to re-hash that game. The coaching and the supreme athleticism of the starters prevented UConn from losing games most other teams would have. I completely agree that last year was entertaining, and for the most part so was the offense and defense. UConn was height challenged last season, that is a fact!. 6'5" Natalie Butler was a part-time bench player, and was not the dominant player they needed or expected her to be coming over from Georgetown based on her freshman season stats and success. She was a great teammate, subbing in at the post position when needed. She did the best she could. I enjoyed watching her play, and wish her all the best at George Mason this season.

I won't have the same feelings of trepidation and concern in that area this season. This year, UConn is not height deprived, and I along with many other UConn fans expect them to win #12. We can agree to disagree, but that is how I saw things last season. You focused on two words I used, and stopped there. Look at the entire post (which was about the length AZ's commitment), and try to put them into the context of the entire comment.

I hope you're not suggesting that your perception of last season should be mine also, and if it isn't, I'm wrong. We're looking at last season from two different points of view, neither of which can be said is wrong. Views are opinions. I think you will agree that posters can have and share opinions here in the BY, without being berated for them, no matter how irrational they may appear.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We won the NC twice during what would have been her 4 years (including back to back undefeated seasons) and made the FF the other 2 years. Not sure how hurtful that ended up being. :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Perhaps "awful" and suffer" were not the best words I could have used, but they were close. Based on their bench consisting of 3 freshmen, a walk-on and Butler, UConn over-achieved last year.
Yea, I think that's kind of the point. How can an overachieving year be considered awful and make one suffer????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom