2013 Recruiting Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

2013 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HuskyfanDan, just wondering if have heard of any updates on 2 State players – Matt Walsh (FB/LB) from Madison and Jahvaney Beckford (Auth) from Hyde School?? There was allot of buss about them in the spring, and from what I have heard Beckford has looked really good at allot of combos and camps. I am pretty sure both of these players also did camp at UConn this past month, but as of yet no offers??

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HuskyfanDan, just wondering if have heard of any updates on 2 State players – Matt Walsh (FB/LB) from Madison and Jahvaney Beckford (Auth) from Hyde School?? There was allot of buss about them in the spring, and from what I have heard Beckford has looked really good at allot of combos and camps. I am pretty sure both of these players also did camp at UConn this past month, but as of yet no offers??

i want both of them. havn't heard much yet but i hope we offer. i would also like to get holiness(if possible grades wise) and robinson for 2013. that would be a strong new england group for us this year. also dont sleep on odiah, n. beckford and there is a saftey/corner up in ma that is nice also. sorry i dont have any good info on them, i'll hit them up sometime to see whats up.

pj

Reaction Score

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
everybody hit him up!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's rated 2* by 247? Hmmm....

i feel sarcasm but fwiw his rating will change as the sites prob aren't undated with his offers and stuff. he would be a good get with 2 other bcs level offers...

reagan to ncst

belfort to visit wvu this weekend. shorts and wendell are also. interesting. wvu has 2 rbs but clearly looking for wrs. its hard to tell if belfort really does have offers or not...its widely argued it seems.

Camara is visiting MD this weekend...

We haven't offered, true? ... Maryland got Kingsley Opara, continuing a good year for them. ... Looks like Randy Edsall may be taking over the recruiting now, 4 of their 5 July commits (all except Opara) are 2*s.

yea we have not offered but hes on the radar and been to uconn several times. he has a purdue offer and i think md/temple will offer soon. he gets a good amount of media because hes a heck of a ath. big kid who can move, its just hard to find a position for him and figure it out at this stage. another recruit like that is beckford in ct but he doesn't get the media that camara does as much. i think having 1 of these 2 in our class if there is a open slot would be a good move by the staff. both are great big ath's, long run shaping a player like that could be a stud for us.

i dont think were looking at him any more. i think there was some small interest back when he was at Brunswick was it? i don't have any info otherwise, i know he is friends with alot of ct players.... he is a small guy at the rb position and 3 things play into this. this is my opinion.
1) we have jwilliams(big) and lyle (small), thunder & lightning if u will
2) we need 1 rb this class, we are very hard after dez, jacky and a a few others we have offered. if all those fall thru we have already established who is next in line being roman clay and others like a marcus odiah. we will land a good rb this year, no offense to AB but better than him imho...
3) 2 kids in our back yard who are both rb's are small. newsome and cooper. both ct public school kids. we should be all over them. also there is a big back in ct named outlow who will have many offers in due time. we should aim next year to land 1 of newsome/cooper and outlow. thats the dream at the rb position...

worley to wvu. no surprise...

Ridgefield DE/LB Andrew Barton picked up his first offer from Bryant. Kid has some upside.

7m8q4hubea0olxl6kpfu.jpeg
i think umass may offer this fall.

247sports has made some significant changes to their system. They have a lot more players rated, have a second number associated with each player, and many more players have 3 stars. UConn now has 8 3* and 2 2*, and the team ranking is #63. Lagow, Thomas, Hadley, Burlingame, and Bradley are the top rated recruits in that order.

http://247sports.com/Team/Ranking/2013/Football
http://connecticut.247sports.com/Recruit/Commits/2013/Football
i was checking out the composite stuff earlier today. its takes a bit to understand the the composite rating will become popular i think very quickly. they are making big moves over there for sure...

you were looking at composite #'s. 247 will have its own rating and then the composite rating. the 247 one is its own and the composite one will be the over between other sites like riv/sco/esp etc..

but anyway no matter how you look at this class, each players getting love(3*) from the star system on at least 1 or more sites. that's something so far that we have never done...

travon reid, was it known we offered?

That's actually very funny. the post you responded to made the point that there was "grade inflation" going on, and you responded by saying how happy you are that we have more people getting higher grades.

When grade inflation occurs, progress has to be measured by rankings. So make the point about how our rankings are moving up and you may have something.

i realize that the compositve adds fluff. what i'm talking about is that the star rankings for our commits are getting better across the board. have we ever landed a class when 85% or more got atleast 1 3 star?

I linked to "Commits" above. It shows 11, all 3*'s. Am I reading it wrong?

those are the composite scores. click on a players profile. then there u will see two rankings. 1 will be the ranking that 247 gives the player just like the other sites give players. then u will see the composite which is the 4 site combo score. the red line has 4 sections, when all 4 are full then the composite score is the average score across the board as to where the recruit ranks among the eyes of the big 4 sites. its nice to see that all of our guys average 3* ratings. but the composite is just another fun star thing. it just lets you know overall how deep the class is with quality in the eyes of everyone combined. cool idea by 247, gotta hand it to them...

so again with some commits to uconn and elsewhere and some fresh offers there are just under 50 ships out to kids that are undecided at this point. so who are we in on and what positions are we trying to fill? some here think this is a 15 kid class and some think bigger. we already have 12 commits a month before the season starts. fun times ahead. if we go as big as 20 kids this class then i am guessing this to be the close to it.

qb- lagow
wr- thomas
wr- bradley
wr-?
rb- ?
dt- burlingame
dt- ?
dl- fatukasi
db- hadley
db- lucas
db- summers
de-thompson
de- ?
te-myers
te- ?
og- schafenacker
ot- hopkins
ol- ?
lb- ?
fb- ? or a 2nd lb?

notes:
1-we have a ton of DE offers still out. thompson is a project so the other DE we get needs to be a stud or juco to help push competition on the 2 deep right away. kids like holiness, stevens, dobbs, trent, gross and miles all seem like we should have a shot at. don't sleep on hush also, he would be a big time pick up imho and play right away. we have several reaches out there also like ogundecko, teller and thomas. of the 50ish offers we have out right now, 12 of them are DE's.
2-we are going after alot of rb's. with wvu and a couple other schools filling up at the position we will see a trickle down and hopefully land 1. we have 9 rb offers out right now to uncommited kids of those 50ish offers. again clearly we are looking for a impact player.
3-i'm worried that the staff has some of our rb offers not commit able based off waiting on a select few rbs. if that's the case then i hope to god that we land 1 of those guys.
4- i think were going to add 1 more dt and ol. together they are another 10 of the 50ish offers we have out. seems important to the staff and for the record i'm not sure where fatukasi will play position wise.
5- i think we have 15 sr's next year right? add a couple random spots and i think a class of 18-20 is where we will be. so i'll go high and stick with 20.

so based off that i would love to see something like this(red would be 1st choice-home run, but realistic)
qb- lagow
wr- thomas
wr- bradley
wr-cunningham(have to hope 13 not 14). others- jeune, taylor, griffin(package deal with marcellus)
rb- smith. others-marcellus, wortham, smallwood, marriner, hoover
dt- burlingame
dt- montgomery. others- meant, mcgill
dl- fatukasi
db- hadley
db- lucas
db- summers
de-thompson
de- stevens. others- hush, trent, dobbs, gross
te-myers
te- fuchs. others- stapleton, batten, joyner
og- schafenacker
ot- hopkins
ol- miller. others- wright, joyner(pos change)
lb- sylva(have to hope 13 not 14).
lb- or db? names- reid(db), parker(db)- delizuo(db)

-whats the deal with our lb recruiting. we struck out on some kids and sylva is at this point a ? for 13 or 14 class. the only thing i can think of is that we are only after 1 lb and we are going to wait for news on sylva and if its bad news(14 class) then we can go and get the kid robinson from mass who is a sleeper. or walsh from madison. we have not offered either.

1. We will have 16 or 17 open roster spots (depending on Hansson) after this season before departing RS Jrs. and attrition. Not counting Hannson (and I always assume, rightly or wrongly, that kids who walked on originally will not have schollies if we don't have extras) I have a roster of 82 scholarship players from the UConn preseason roster, and we hvae 14 scholarship seniors and 9 RS Jrs.

2. We need at least one TB, one more OL, more DBs and at least one or two LBs. Beyond just trying to improve talent wherever you can do so.

Thank you for the detailed post

ok this changes my thoughts some:
1) so we could potentially have a 25 kid class again but 20 is more about right. maybe low 20's. based off the past couple years getting kids into grad school for multiple reasons, i think PP may clean the roster of a couple kids. will be interesting to see. so i'm going to stick with 20 as the number right now for fun.
2) yes we need to land a rb, but are your saying we need 2 this class? we have 3 young guys at the position now. i think next year is a 2rb class and this year is a 1 rb class. my dream next year is newsome(apb) and outlow(tb). anyway
3) based off what it looks like, once again i come to the conclusion that the staff took 1 of summers or lucas to early this year in the process. we have better dp prospects out there interested and if we want to land any of them now, were taking 1 less at ol or te it looks like.

Isn't Thomas enrolling early? That would open up a spot.

thanks, completely forgot about this. thomas is a janurary enroll so he can count towards last years class. this becomes even more interesting if neally and sylva can pull it off. sylva has a credit issue so i'm not sure how quick it can be fixed considering his issue was from a hs transfer years ago. neally was just bad text scores. take the sat or act this fall and pass it and i think he can be a jan kid. this changes it a bit again. makes the juco kids that much more important for for this class. possibly burlingame also then maybe?

we could load up this class by rs jrs grad school issues and jan enrolls, will be interesting to see what PP does and how many kids he thinks he needs to sniff out still after last year.

great find rumrunner

Reaction Score
I just looked at his sophmore HL film (I didnt see his junior film on youtube) and the film only highlighted him as a DE.

pj

Reaction Score
The coaches saw him in camp so we have to assume he's a talented athlete with potential.

Reaction Score
Is very interested in us, is not expecting to decide until february 1st.

pj

Reaction Score
We haven't offered, true? ... Maryland got Kingsley Opara, continuing a good year for them. ... Looks like Randy Edsall may be taking over the recruiting now, 4 of their 5 July commits (all except Opara) are 2*s.

Reaction Score
yea we have not offered but hes on the radar and been to uconn several times. he has a purdue offer and i think md/temple will offer soon. he gets a good amount of media because hes a heck of a ath. big kid who can move, its just hard to find a position for him and figure it out at this stage. another recruit like that is beckford in ct but he doesn't get the media that camara does as much. i think having 1 of these 2 in our class if there is a open slot would be a good move by the staff. both are great big ath's, long run shaping a player like that could be a stud for us.

If you look at Camara's body, he looks like a carbon copy of Jarrell Miller who came to us via UNC. Unlike Miller, Camara seems open to the possiblity of playing DL in college, where Miller believed he was exclusively a linebacker.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Hey HuskyfanDan - can u get us an update on RB Auctavius Bennett?

Reaction Score
Auctavius was suppose to attend Cheshire Academy, but it fell through. He's now at Jireh Prep in North Carolina. HuskyfanDan--what's his status with UConn?

Reaction Score
Ridgefield DE/LB Andrew Barton picked up his first offer from Bryant. Kid has some upside.

7m8q4hubea0olxl6kpfu.jpeg

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
i was checking out the composite stuff earlier today. its takes a bit to understand the the composite rating will become popular i think very quickly. they are making big moves over there for sure...

you were looking at composite #'s. 247 will have its own rating and then the composite rating. the 247 one is its own and the composite one will be the over between other sites like riv/sco/esp etc..

but anyway no matter how you look at this class, each players getting love(3*) from the star system on at least 1 or more sites. that's something so far that we have never done...

That's actually very funny. the post you responded to made the point that there was "grade inflation" going on, and you responded by saying how happy you are that we have more people getting higher grades.

When grade inflation occurs, progress has to be measured by rankings. So make the point about how our rankings are moving up and you may have something.

pj

Reaction Score
BL - When grade inflation makes every player a 5*, our class will be as good as Bama's!

Nevertheless, being rated the #63 class is pretty good, since we have fewer commits than the vast majority of schools. It looks at this point like it will be a good class - competitive with our peers.

Reaction Score
247sports has made some significant changes to their system. They have a lot more players rated, have a second number associated with each player, and many more players have 3 stars. UConn now has 8 3* and 2 2*, and the team ranking is #63. Lagow, Thomas, Hadley, Burlingame, and Bradley are the top rated recruits in that order.

http://247sports.com/Team/Ranking/2013/Football
http://connecticut.247sports.com/Recruit/Commits/2013/Football

pj

Reaction Score

Their software seems a little messed up at the moment. If you click through to the player bios, Quinn Thompson, Lance Burlingame, Tommy Myers, and Fatukasi are unrated by 247 and Thomas Lucas and Tommy Hopkins are 2*. The *s on the team page seem to be based on composite ratings, but those are generous with *s.

Reaction Score
those are the composite scores. click on a players profile. then there u will see two rankings. 1 will be the ranking that 247 gives the player just like the other sites give players. then u will see the composite which is the 4 site combo score. the red line has 4 sections, when all 4 are full then the composite score is the average score across the board as to where the recruit ranks among the eyes of the big 4 sites. its nice to see that all of our guys average 3* ratings. but the composite is just another fun star thing. it just lets you know overall how deep the class is with quality in the eyes of everyone combined. cool idea by 247, gotta hand it to them...

Thank you. You too, pj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1