1st team AA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

1st team AA

Reaction Score
I like Jones a lot. I would be stunned if she's not an All-American. Another senior that has really taken her game to another level this season.

Collier has always intrigued me.. to me she's so much more than a big. She plays the 4 at UConn out of necessity but her game, IMHO, is very guard/forward-ish. I don't really think she's a true power forward.. If I could create a hybrid position for her then I liken her to be more of a 3/4 wing.. different from Samuelson, who I also think is a wing but more of the 3/2 variety. Collier is much more versatile offensively than either Coates or Wilson, so I think it's easier to say she's "playing better" in that aspect.

Agreed. Osahor is putting up crazy rebounding numbers this year and I like Billings game a lot.. she may not be an All-American this year but I could definitely see her getting some accolades next year if she keeps improving.

By the Way...I have a great deal of respect for Coates and Wilson and both have great WNBA carriers ahead of them. But you made my point for me. Pheesa is playing the big position , which as you assert is not her natural position. That fact makes her performance( as measured by her overall stats and team impact) that much better than the other bigs with the exception of B Jones. Phee is a natural 3 but she typically plays the 4 or 5 position and excels at both. While one could argue both Coates and Wilson have AA credentials, if you are willing to make that argument then imo Pheesa should easily be AA.

Reaction Score
I think it's any of the "major" selections.
Pretty sure it's strictly WBCA AA. I can't find much to support that however, except this...

Strother honored to be part of Huskies of Honor

"But an overtime loss to Duke that denied the Huskies a berth in the 2006 NCAA Final Four — a game Strother struggled mightily in — and likely cost her a spot on the WBCA All-America team, the criteria for induction."

Reaction Score
That's just it. She's a rare specimen. Great hands, runs the floor well and dominant inside. It's rare that she's outmuscled inside (even by bigger players) and when she is going against a bigger player she usually beats them to the rebound by getting off her feet quicker. Coates is a true center in an era where every 6'4/6'5 girl wants to play like a stretch-4.. she's a unicorn because she doesn't try to be anything she's not, instead she's just really really good and better than just about everybody else at what's required of her.

Slow down. You lost me at unicorn. Porzingis can do everything including shoot 3s, dribble drive and play great defense. A true rareity at 7'3"

I actually think some folks on this board under rate Coates, but you are building her to be a bit more than she is in terms of overall game. You make it sound like not having an outside shot is a plus.... In terms of being a true big I would take the center from K-State, her overall game is better (she does not have outside shot either). That said she can dominate the boards in games and score on putbacks. I am weary about February's match up, but unless there is foul trouble, our team's offense is just too efficient when compared to the irratic and inconsistent offensive play I have seen when watching SC.

Reaction Score
By the Way...I have a great deal of respect for Coates and Wilson and both have great WNBA carriers ahead of them. But you made my point for me. Pheesa is playing the big position , which as you assert is not her natural position. That fact makes her performance( as measured by her overall stats and team impact) that much better than the other bigs with the exception of B Jones. Phee is a natural 3 but she typically plays the 4 or 5 position and excels at both. While one could argue both Coates and Wilson have AA credentials, if you are willing to make that argument then imo Pheesa should easily be AA.

UConn fan here. I do not think using Pheese' or Gabby's lack of size gives them extra points. They play bigs tough but the (few) most talented bigs have gotten their averages against us in terms of points and rebounds. What is great is that they take advantage on the offensive mismatch when we have the ball too. Also, they have been able to generate turnovers on the feeds into bigs by leveraging their quickness.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. "This move" was a UConn move - to basically recognize second team AA's on the HOH. I think it dilutes the real value/meaning of being a HOH. Staying with true "first team" AA would probably have eliminated Tuck, Hartley and others. They were great Huskies and I love them, but they weren't on the same level as Sales, Bird, Cash, Ralph, Abrosimova and some other clear first team AA "non-Rushmore" HOH's. JMO
Tuck is on that level. Inside/outside, rebounding and assists. Not to mention defense, look what she did to South Carolina and AC.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Alexis Jones does not make first team then something is wrong. She is the best PG in the nation, IMO, and I don't even think anyone else is close. ND is not playing well enough as a team for me to put Allen on the first team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wilson is one of the elite players in WCBB, on both ends of the floor. She is a lock and any discussion of her not being deserving should have been answered last night when she shot 10-13, scored 26 points, had 9 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists and 2 steals against a top 5 opponent.

Reaction Score
The women's game's voters don't have the cajones to leave Wilson or Coates off the AP 1st team.

both players a re great but have not performed at the consistent level all season to be on the first team (5 members).

KLS and Collier absolutely have and BOTH of them should be on the 1st team. Remember, they have both excelled against the best competition.

IMO, Gabby deserves to make a 10 member 1st team and just to be fair and not greedy, I'd consent to put Nurse on 2nd team even though she has been a Great Player and Leader this year.

Reaction Score
If Alexis Jones does not make first team then something is wrong. She is the best PG in the nation, IMO, and I don't even think anyone else is close. ND is not playing well enough as a team for me to put Allen on the first team.
Kim needs to start some PR as Alexis didn't even make the 28 player Ann Meyers/wbca mid season watch list

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The women's game's voters don't have the cajones to leave Wilson or Coates off the AP 1st team.

both players a re great but have not performed at the consistent level all season to be on the first team (5 members).

KLS and Collier absolutely have and BOTH of them should be on the 1st team. Remember, they have both excelled against the best competition.

IMO, Gabby deserves to make a 10 member 1st team and just to be fair and not greedy, I'd consent to put Nurse on 2nd team even though she has been a Great Player and Leader this year.
Couldn't agree more. Just because Wilson had one game where she scored 26 points does not make up for the inconsistent rest of the season. She may well average 20 PPG the rest of the year and earn 1st team AA honors, but as of today, she's not close to a 1st team player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kim needs to start some PR as Alexis didn't even make the 28 player Ann Meyers/wbca mid season watch list

Ann Meyers needs to watch a few more games since she is apparently ignorant to the talent level that Jones possesses. There is not one guard in America that I would take over Jones. Anyone who doesn't list Jones as one of the top 28 players loses credibility with me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the anti-Wilson chatter seems like sour grapes to me. That woman can flat out play the game and would get my vote for POY. I would bet that if a WNBA could pick any college player, regardless of class, that Wilson would be the first chosen.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Slow down. You lost me at unicorn. Porzingis can do everything including shoot 3s, dribble drive and play great defense. A true rareity at 7'3"

I actually think some folks on this board under rate Coates, but you are building her to be a bit more than she is in terms of overall game. You make it sound like not having an outside shot is a plus.... In terms of being a true big I would take the center from K-State, her overall game is better (she does not have outside shot either). That said she can dominate the boards in games and score on putbacks. I am weary about February's match up, but unless there is foul trouble, our team's offense is just too efficient when compared to the irratic and inconsistent offensive play I have seen when watching SC.

Oh, you don't have to tell me about her.. I'm very familiar with K-State's Breanna Lewis... she owned us for 21 points last year in the NCAA tournament.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the anti-Wilson chatter seems like sour grapes to me. That woman can flat out play the game and would get my vote for POY. I would be that if a WNBA could pick any college player, regardless of class, that Wilson would be the first chosen.

*whistles from the corner*....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Oh, you don't have to tell me about her.. I'm very familiar with K-State's Breanna Lewis... she owned us for 21 points last year in the NCAA tournament.

In a head-to-head matchup with Kalani Brown, Lewis had 14 points, 7 rebounds and 1 block in 30 minutes. In 20 minutes, Brown had 22 points. 12 rebounds and 4 blocks. I'll take Brown over Lewis. Maybe Lewis will have a better game tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the anti-Wilson chatter seems like sour grapes to me. That woman can flat out play the game and would get my vote for POY. I would bet that if a WNBA could pick any college player, regardless of class, that Wilson would be the first chosen.

More like dried bitter raisins LOL the woman scored 31, 26, and 26 not to mention her shot blocking presence but doesn't deserve 1st team AA? Man I swear these posts make me laugh!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Wow, you're taking Wilson over Plum for NPOY? Throw it down.

Reaction Score
Agree. I can't see Wilson or Coates as first team. They are up there because of their team. If they are that good why did they just squeak by MsSt last night?

Again, you can say same about us and Florida St. Let's be fair, they were playing #4 ranked team. Not saying they are first team AA either. I can see Wilson from talent perspective, not sure about her full body of work this year though but she has a well rounded game.

Reaction Score
Ann Meyers needs to watch a few more games since she is apparently ignorant to the talent level that Jones possesses. There is not one guard in America that I would take over Jones. Anyone who doesn't list Jones as one of the top 28 players loses credibility with me.

Sorry I should've clarified - it's the Ann Meyers Award. It's not her personal list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here are some stats for consideration. Obviously, the strength of schedule, team's success, eye test, and other factors go into AA selections, but some of the numbers are surprising (high or low).

Player/PPG/FG%/RPG/Blocks/Team Record

Collier 19.2/.665/8.1/32/19-0

Coates 14.4/.681/10.9/28/17-1

Wilson 16.8/.583/7.4/34/17-1

Nina Davis 12.1/.585/4.6/6/19-1

Turner 14.7/.589/7.4/48/18-3

Anigwe 22.3/.620/10.2/36/15-5

Billings 18.2/.508/11.0/34/15-4

Osahor 15.5/.485/14.7/9/19-2

Napheesa is second in the group in scoring, behind only Anigwe. She is second in shooting percentage behind Coates. Her rebounding numbers are better than those of Wilson and Turner. She has more blocks than Coates and is close to Wilson, Billings, and Anigwe.

The question on Coates may be her scoring. Is 14.4 high enough?

Wilson's numbers are good, but not great.

Nina Davis's scoring and rebounds are too low. Brown and Mompremier are getting the rebounds now.

Turner's scoring and rebounds are a little low for AA status. Her blocks are very good.

Anigwe's stats are impressive--over 20 and 10.

Billings's shooting percentage is a little low for a post.

Osahor is a different type of player. She is not athletic enough to get blocks, and her shooting percentage is low because she shoots from the arc a lot, but she grabs rebounds like Courtney Paris.

My reading of these is that Napheesa makes a 10-player AA team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Agree. I can't see Wilson or Coates as first team. They are up there because of their team. If they are that good why did they just squeak by MsSt last night?

As members of The Boneyard, have we considered the possibility that Mississippi State might actually be pretty dang good this year? Or are we permanently placing them in the bad team category because they lost by infinity to a superhuman UConn team LAST YEAR?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom