1st team AA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

1st team AA

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The stats for Turner and Wilson are improving, so don't count them out.

I definitely would pick Plum over Wilson for POY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Concerning Turner's worthiness - - see her stats from tonight's game against #14 Duke. Allen also had 12 assist and 2 turnovers tonight. On the season, she's averaging an A/TO ratio of 3.6. For comparison, Moriah's was 2.83 her senior year.
Turner had a great game. One game does not make her AA worthy. She will have to string together more games like last night. Allen is averaging 9 points per game-Not AA worthy. Allen would have to double her scoring to be in the conversation with the other 3 Guards (Jones-Baylor, Mitchell-tOSU, and Plum-UDub that are in AA conversation. Saniya Chong is leading the nation in A/TO ratio and averaging 7 Points per game.

Reaction Score
Second this. In my opinion, Wilson is the best all-around player in the country and better than anyone on the UConn roster right now. And her stats aren't inflated because she plays real competition in conference.

In contention for AA honors:
Aja Wilson
Alaina Coates
Brianna Turner
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Alexis Jones
Kelsey Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Lindsay Allen

Coates, Allen, and Turner are not All Americans.

Reaction Score
Turner had a great game. One game does not make her AA worthy. She will have to string together more games like last night. Allen is averaging 9 points per game-Not AA worthy. Allen would have to double her scoring to be in the conversation with the other 3 Guards (Jones-Baylor, Mitchell-tOSU, and Plum-UDub that are in AA conversation. Saniya Chong is leading the nation in A/TO ratio and averaging 7 Points per game.

A few points:
- I suppose if the sole basis for AA consideration is scoring, then I agree with you on Allen, who I think is much more capable of scoring than people give her credit for. Saniya is leading the nation because she plays in a conference where most of those assists were logged against teams that would be dead last in most other conferences. Also, look at total number - A/TO doesn't tell the whole story. Lindsay Allen has over 100 more assists than Chong this year. There's no comparison.

- Also regarding scoring, I'm not convinced KLS is anything other than a scorer. At 6'3", she has less blocks than most guards and averages less rebounds than guess who - 5'8" Lindsay Allen. Doesn't everyone here argue that Kelsey Mitchell isn't an All-American because all she can do is score? If so, then why isn't this the case for KLS?

- In my opinion, Napheesa is the real super star, not KLS. And that's because being an AA doesn't just depend on scoring.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few points:
- I suppose if the sole basis for AA consideration is scoring, then I agree with you on Allen, who I think is much more capable of scoring than people give her credit for. Saniya is leading the nation because she plays in a conference where most of those assists were logged against teams that would be dead last in most other conferences. Also, look at total number - A/TO doesn't tell the whole story. Lindsay Allen has over 100 more assists than Chong this year. There's no comparison.

- Also regarding scoring, I'm not convinced KLS is anything other than a scorer. At 6'3", she has less blocks than most guards and averages less rebounds than guess who - 5'8" Lindsay Allen. Doesn't everyone here argue that Kelsey Mitchell isn't an All-American because all she can do is score? If so, then why isn't this the case for KLS?

- In my opinion, Napheesa is the real super star, not KLS. And that's because being an AA doesn't just depend on scoring.
A few counter points.
  • The "sole" consideration for AA is not scoring nor should it be. Scoring should be a consideration, as should the statistical significant (2X,3X) of the difference in scoring between the players be considered for AA.
  • Saniya was leading or near the top of the country in A/TO ration BEFORE conference play began. The point of comparison between Saniya and Lindsay was to highlight the difference in scoring averages. If that comparison doesn't work for you then use Kia Nurse whose A/TO is 2.0+ and is scoring more points than Lindsay. There is definitely a comparison just not one favorable to Lindsay as you would like.
  • KLS best feature is scoring but she is much more than a scorer. Let's compare apples to apples and not PG to Forwards. Lindsay averages 5 rebounds per game and KLS averages 4. This UCONN team features a pair of forwards Gabby and Napheesa that are both averaging over 8 rebounds per game. By contrast ND's leading rebounder ( Turner), by a pretty wide margin, is averaging 7.6 rebounds per game. Translation: KLS rebounding is more impressive than Lindsay Allen because KLS has two monster rebounders on her team & therefore less opportunities.
  • Napheesa will be an AA because she is near the top of the country (7th) in scoring efficiency. That is two words, be careful not to gloss over the 2nd word because it is far more significant than the first. Just how efficient is Napheesa?
    • Kelsey Mitchell 22.8 PPG:402 Shot attempts.
    • Napheesa Collier 19.2 PPG: 227 Shot attempts. So......Kelsey Mitchel shoots the ball 9.2 more times per game than Napheesa and averages 3.6 more points. Scoring matters, context matters more.

Reaction Score
A few counter points.
  • The "sole" consideration for AA is not scoring nor should it be. Scoring should be a consideration, as should the statistical significant (2X,3X) of the difference in scoring between the players be considered for AA.
  • Saniya was leading or near the top of the country in A/TO ration BEFORE conference play began. The point of comparison between Saniya and Lindsay was to highlight the difference in scoring averages. If that comparison doesn't work for you then use Kia Nurse whose A/TO is 2.0+ and is scoring more points than Lindsay. There is definitely a comparison just not one favorable to Lindsay as you would like.
  • KLS best feature is scoring but she is much more than a scorer. Let's compare apples to apples and not PG to Forwards. Lindsay averages 5 rebounds per game and KLS averages 4. This UCONN team features a pair of forwards Gabby and Napheesa that are both averaging over 8 rebounds per game. By contrast ND's leading rebounder ( Turner), by a pretty wide margin, is averaging 7.6 rebounds per game. Translation: KLS rebounding is more impressive than Lindsay Allen because KLS has two monster rebounders on her team & therefore less opportunities.
  • Napheesa will be an AA because she is near the top of the country (7th) in scoring efficiency. That is two words, be careful not to gloss over the 2nd word because it is far more significant than the first. Just how efficient is Napheesa?
    • Kelsey Mitchell 22.8 PPG:402 Shot attempts.
    • Napheesa Collier 19.2 PPG: 227 Shot attempts. So.Kelsey Mitchel shoots the ball 9.2 more times per game than Napheesa and averages 3.6 more points. Scoring matters, context matters more.

- KLS is so much more than a scorer because GW and NC grab all the rebounds? That doesn't speak to me.

- You say we can't compare KLS (a forward) to a PG (Allen) because it's not apples to apples, then you compare Collier (a forward) to Mitchell (a PG) because that's apples-to-apples? LOL. Classic case of getting lost in an argument.

- I don't doubt Collier is an AA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
- KLS is so much more than a scorer because GW and NC grab all the rebounds? That doesn't speak to me.
- You say we can't compare KLS (a forward) to a PG (Allen) because it's not apples to apples, then you compare Collier (a forward) to Mitchell (a PG) because that's apples-to-apples? LOL. Classic case of getting lost in an argument.

- I don't doubt Collier is an AA.
It probably doesn't speak to you because you are determined to miss/ignore the most important points : Repeated for your convenience.
  • KLS 4 rebounds/game is more impressive than Lindsey Allen 5 rebounds/game.
  • Napheesa Collier is an AA because of her scoring efficiency.
I don't know how to get lost in an argument. You?

Reaction Score
It probably doesn't speak to you because you are determined to miss/ignore the most important points : Repeated for your convenience.
  • KLS 4 rebounds/game is more impressive than Lindsey Allen 5 rebounds/game.
  • Napheesa Collier is an AA because of her scoring efficiency.
I don't know how to get lost in an argument. You?

I'm not lost. You're trying to standardize individual rebounds to total team rebounds. According to the stats, KLS grabs 11.5% of her team's rebounds. Allen grabs 13.9%, so the point you're trying to make is wrong.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not lost.

Sure.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry I didn't phrase things as cordially as I should have. I tend to appreciate your posts and think you often offer a balanced perspective.
These are digits across cyberspace. Sometimes hard to discern cordially or a sense of humor in a few digits. I appreciate you more, for appreciating me.

Reaction Score
Coates, Allen, and Turner are not All Americans.
Coates averages a Double-Double and 1.5 blocks per game and she's also the active leading player for double doubles (53)... so how is he not an All American?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coates averages a Double-Double and 1.5 blocks per game and she's also the active leading player for double doubles (53)... so how is he not an All American?
Coates is not AA American because she has had too many games like she did last night.

Reaction Score
Second this. In my opinion, Wilson is the best all-around player in the country and better than anyone on the UConn roster right now. And her stats aren't inflated because she plays real competition in conference.

I know I will get pounded for this and I am not saying Coates is better than Wilson because she is not, but who is having a better season for their team (not most talented or upside?)

Coates has more steals, much better FG%, blows her away on rebounds, blocks are very close, assists are close but A'ja has many more turnovers. A'ja has Coates on points and slight edge in free throw percentage.

I tell you what, for this year I am not blown away by 16.9 and 7.6 rebound avg with less than 2.0 avg assist a game while shooting under 70% from stripe for best player in country. Plum's year is much better and its not just points, but for a team that struggles to score it would be nice to see the best player in the country score more or get more assists to impact the offense.

Regarding UConn, again based on performance this year, you can argue a case for each Lou, Pheese and Gabby. For comparisons and time I will just use Pheese.

More points (19.2 vs 16.9), way better FG% (66.5% vs 56.9%), more rebs (8.1 vs 7.6), blocks are closer than you would think (32 vs 36), less turnovers (28 vs 40), way more steals (30 vs 18), more assists (36 vs 30), better free throw % (78.3% vs 68.9%) and Pheese can hit from 3 (42% vs 1 shot taken and missed.)

So why would anyone say A'ja is better than Pheese? Because she is taller? (BTW at this point in time UCONN still has the best strength of schedule. We packed in the best opponents upfront, no one as tough as Duke though : - )

## Player gp-gs min avg fg-fga fg% 3fg-fga 3fg% ft-fta ft% off def tot avg pf dq a to blk stl pts avg
22 WILSON, A'ja 17-17 450 26.5 107-188 . 5 6 9 0-1 . 0 0 0 73-106 . 6 8 9 46 84 130 7.6 39 1 30 40 36 18 287 16.9
41 COATES, Alaina 19-19 520 27.4 98-149 . 6 5 8 0-0 . 0 0 0 64-96 . 6 6 7 69 141 210 11.1 41 0 27 24 32 26 260 13.7

## Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 Samuelson, Katie Lo 19-19 603 31.7 144-287 .502 69-150 .460 58-70 .829 18 58 76 4.0 30 0 51 38 6 30 415 21.8
24 Collier, Napheesa.. 19-19 560 29.5 151-227 .665 8-19 .421 54-69 .783 48 106 154 8.1 42 2 36 28 32 35 364 19.2
15 Williams, Gabby.... 19-19 538 28.3 99-179 .553 1-4 .250 34-50 .680 56 108 164 8.6 35 0 102 47 23 54 233 12.3

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plum, Mitchell, Jones, KLS and Wilson...

Hi - I wanted to add a short version asking why Wilson over Pheese this year. Pheese vs Wilson.

More points (19.2 vs 16.9), way better FG% (66.5% vs 56.9%), more rebs (8.1 vs 7.6), blocks are closer than you would think (32 vs 36), less turnovers (28 vs 40), way more steals (30 vs 18), more assists (36 vs 30), better free throw % (78.3% vs 68.9%) and Pheese can hit from 3 (42% vs 1 shot taken and missed.)

So why would anyone say A'ja is better than Pheese? Because she is taller? (BTW at this point in time UCONN still has the best strength of schedule. We packed in the best opponents upfront, no one as tough as Duke though : - )

Reaction Score
Because Anigwe and Osahor are better players and have better numbers.
Averages a double-double against the 2nd strongest RPI .... Washington and Cal has not played near the level the competition SC has...

Reaction Score
Coates is not AA American because she has had too many games like she did last night.
Now that I think of it... who are you to say Coates isn't an AA?? LOL I mean really 13 rebounds, 4 blks, and 3 steals is a bad game?? Basketball is more than just scoring Coates does a lot of things that doesn't show up in the box score and I think she deserves to be an AA.

Reaction Score
Hi - I wanted to add a short version asking why Wilson over Pheese this year. Pheese vs Wilson.

Let's compare the stats in a head to head matchup that would be more fair. A'ja and Pheese are my favorite players btw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom