MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Plum
KLS
Collier
Wilson
A. Jones

Not sure how anyone can justify leaving Collier off 1st team. 19 points, 8 boards, 66% FG, 42% 3pt, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1.5 blocks with a 1.44 A/TO ratio for the #1 undefeated team.

For comparison, Stewart, last year's consensus NPOY, averaged: 19.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 58% Fg, 42.5% 3pt, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 3.5 blocks with 2.5/1 A/TO for the #1 undefeated team.

Collier is also putting up those numbers against the meatiest part of the schedule. In conference play she is 50-67 from the floor, good for 74.6%. KLS is outshining her at this point, but Collier is statistically putting together one of the most remarkable sophomore seasons in UCONN history.
I'm not sold on Wilson, though she is close and helped herself tonight. I totally agree about Collier. She quietly puts up Stewie NPOY-type numbers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
BEST OVERALL ATHLETES IN WCBB: Take your breath away athletic ability
Gabby Williams SF/G UCONN
Nina Davis SF Baylor
Shakayla Thomas SF FSU
Anriel Howard SF TX A&M
Breanna Lewis C KSU

If the standard here is "take-your-breath-away athletic ability," I humbly and earnestly propose Monique Billings of UCLA in lieu of Breanna Lewis. (I also think Kristine Anigwe of Cal should be ahead of Lewis on such a list.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the standard here is "take-your-breath-away athletic ability," I humbly and earnestly propose Monique Billings of UCLA in lieu of Breanna Lewis. (I also think Kristine Anigwe of Cal should be ahead of Lewis on such a list.)

I'm biased.... but I nominate Odom of Duke. I listened to the BC announcers on the broadcast Sunday... and they were mentioning how the BC Coach said that Odom was one of the most athletic players in the ACC.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
For decades first team was 5 players. This move to 10 always seemed like grade inflation to me. I like the traditional 5 player teams. If you want to discuss 10, then that's the 2nd team.
I like the ten, as two teams, with top-grade and almost interchangeable reserves. We still know who the top 5 are, and it got our much-loved Stef and Morgan up on the wall, where they both belonged. Plus, it creates a full, more realistic team that can play 40 minutes, allowing for rest, fouls and injuries, since no one, not even Geno, plays an iron 5. The Olympic team comprises twelve players, although no one would argue that the IOC knows what it is doing.

Reaction Score
Agree. I can't see Wilson or Coates as first team. They are up there because of their team. If they are that good why did they just squeak by MsSt last night?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
For decades first team was 5 players. This move to 10 always seemed like grade inflation to me. I like the traditional 5 player teams. If you want to discuss 10, then that's the 2nd team.
I like the ten, as two teams, with top-grade and almost interchangeable reserves. We still know who the top 5 are, and it got our much-loved Stef and Morgan up on the wall, where they both belonged. Plus, it creates a full, more realistic team that can play 40 minutes, allowing for rest, fouls and injuries, since no one, not even Geno, plays an iron 5. The Olympic team comprises twelve players, although no one would argue that the IOC knows what it is doing.

Reaction Score
Agree. I can't see Wilson or Coates as first team. They are up there because of their team. If they are that good why did they just squeak by MsSt last night?
Unfortunately, WCBB writers have, since their rise to a Top Ten team, been in love with everything South Carolina does, despite the obvious flaws in their coaching and performance. And, that includes our own Rebecca Lobo. Granted, they've definitely improved under Staley, but, as Geno says, it certainly helps to have the horses. As far as AA, while we tend to fall in love with great shooters, our silent assassin, Napheesa, is hard to overlook.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do not understand the Coates love affair. Her scoring is limited to within 5 feet of the basket. She gets all her points and rebounds by being bigger and stronger than the competition. Aja Wilson is far better with real offensive and defensive skills and a real 1st team AA

That's just it. She's a rare specimen. Great hands, runs the floor well and dominant inside. It's rare that she's outmuscled inside (even by bigger players) and when she is going against a bigger player she usually beats them to the rebound by getting off her feet quicker. Coates is a true center in an era where every 6'4/6'5 girl wants to play like a stretch-4.. she's a unicorn because she doesn't try to be anything she's not, instead she's just really really good and better than just about everybody else at what's required of her.

Coates benefits from the overall success of South Carolina not being out of top 5 since until recently. She also benefits from her size at the basket and at the basket ONLY. Coates is largely the same player she was as a Freshmen. She has not developed a counter move or the ability to finish with her off hand. She is not dominant inside presence because South Carolina has given up nearly as many offensive rebounds 237 as it has gotten 250. A simple 8-10 foot jump shot from Coates would have been an enormous help to South Carolina in the last 4 years she has been in uniform. Today teams can still pack the paint and in the South Carolina offense if Coates catches the ball at the top of the key the offense will bog down. Last night against MSU the South Carolina offense had it's best stretch while Coates was sitting. To her credit Coates did beat MSU freshmen from the high post going right for a layup that proved to be a huge (game winning) play. Now a jumper from that same spot by Coates and I'll be really impressed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd take Osahor over Coates and Wilson any day of the week.

crazy.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Totally agree. "This move" was a UConn move - to basically recognize second team AA's on the HOH. I think it dilutes the real value/meaning of being a HOH. Staying with true "first team" AA would probably have eliminated Tuck, Hartley and others. They were great Huskies and I love them, but they weren't on the same level as Sales, Bird, Cash, Ralph, Abrosimova and some other clear first team AA "non-Rushmore" HOH's. JMO
WBCA has been a 10 member 1st team since 1975. Really doubt UCONN had anything to do with it. SMH.

Reaction Score
WBCA has been a 10 member 1st team since 1975. Really doubt UCONN had anything to do with it. SMH.
I meant UCONN decides which AA team to recognize for their HOH - WBCA / State Farm, whatever

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I meant UCONN decides which AA team to recognize for their HOH - WBCA / State Farm, whatever
They pretty much use all the major ones. AP, WBCA, USWBA. Which are all 1st team.

Reaction Score
Much too soon for AA honors!!! Best players on best teams in March should be AA!!! I am unashamedly biased and root for my UConn players!!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Coates benefits from the overall success of South Carolina not being out of top 5 since until recently.

Sure.

Coates is largely the same player she was as a Freshmen.

Nah. You don't even actually believe this so I won't waste my time.

She is not dominant inside presence because South Carolina has given up nearly as many offensive rebounds 237 as it has gotten 250.

Nice TEAM stat.. but it doesn't tell the entire story. Don't forget about all of the little things Coates does that you won't find in a box score... like her ability to alter shots, etc..

A simple 8-10 foot jump shot from Coates would have been an enormous help to South Carolina in the last 4 years she has been in uniform.

Again, she doesn't have to do this... she's excellent elsewhere. If I have a player that's superb on the low block (and rarely beaten there) why would I move her away from her bread and butter and put her somewhere else to take a lower percentage shot when I know I'm basically guaranteed to get the higher percentage shot? To me that's bad coaching... heck no, I would want Coates to live down low and get those putbacks. I would want her to be really good at her bread and butter... and she is.

I see this when other post players are brought up as well... somebody will post something like "well she doesn't shoot threes" or "she's really only good at putbacks".... Why does she need to complicate things when the other team has nobody that's capable of stopping her at doing the things she's actually SUPPOSED to be doing? LOL

We live in an age where people are obsessed with centers scoring facing the basket. We must realize that a center scoring facing the basket isn't a necessity, its not a part of the job duties.. it's really a bonus. If you have it.. GREAT... if not, fine, but you still need to be really good at being a CENTER. You need to be a force down low, you need to be aggressive at the basket, you need to get those rebounds, you need to be ready for the putback, you need to be able to pass from the paint to a guard on the wings, you need to block shots consistently, you need to run that dang floor at times... Coates does ALL of these things and MORE better than most at her position.

I just don't think it should reflect negatively on Coates that she can't (or hasn't shown that she can) do the things that Tina Charles does (who's a professional player and doesn't have to worry about things like.. school, for instance). If we look at Coates through the lens of being a center and doing what a center needs to do then there would be no argument as to why people like her game. Instead, we compare her to every stretch-5 that's ever existed.

I appreciate your post. You make good points.. but we mostly disagree.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure.

Nah. You don't even actually believe this so I won't waste my time.

Nice TEAM stat.. but it doesn't tell the entire story. Don't forget about all of the little things Coates does that you won't find in a box score... like her ability to alter shots, etc..

Again, she doesn't have to do this... she's excellent elsewhere. If I have a player that's superb on the low block (and rarely beaten there) why would I move her away from her bread and butter and put her somewhere else to take a lower percentage shot when I know I'm basically guaranteed to get the higher percentage shot? To me that's bad coaching... heck no, I would want Coates to live down low and get those putbacks. I would want her to be really good at her bread and butter... and she is.

I see this when other post players are brought up as well... somebody will post something like "well she doesn't shoot threes" or "she's really only good at putbacks".... Why does she need to complicate things when the other team has nobody that's capable of stopping her at doing the things she's actually SUPPOSED to be doing? LOL

We live in an age where people are obsessed with centers scoring facing the basket. We must realize that a center scoring facing the basket isn't a necessity, its not a part of the job duties.. it's really a bonus. If you have it.. GREAT... if not, fine, but you still need to be really good at being a CENTER. You need to be a force down low, you need to be aggressive at the basket, you need to get those rebounds, you need to be ready for the putback, you need to be able to pass from the paint to a guard on the wings, you need to block shots consistently, you need to run that dang floor at times... Coates does ALL of these things and MORE better than most at her position.

I just don't think it should reflect negatively on Coates that she can't (or hasn't shown that she can) do the things that Tina Charles does (who's a professional player and doesn't have to worry about things like.. school, for instance). If we look at Coates through the lens of being a center and doing what a center needs to do then there would be no argument as to why people like her game. Instead, we compare her to every stretch-5 that's ever existed.

I appreciate your post. You make good points.. but we mostly disagree.
We are going to disagree entirely and Coates will come up even shorter if you use Tina Charles as a bench mark.
Coates is hardly the shot altering presence to claim:
  • Freshmen Coates 73 Blocks in 668 minutes
  • Sophomore Coates 53 blocks in 770 Minutes
  • Junior Coates 45 Blocks in 937 Minutes
  • Senior Coates 28 Blocks in 492 Minutes so far.
Notice a pattern? When I said Coates is largely the same player she was as a Freshmen-I was wrong, she has actually regressed. Coates is not "just good at backs" she is only good at put backs with her right hand, going right, and shooting over people that are shorter than her.
It is a very interesting contrast, and the exact reason why I'm a UCONN fan, when you think that people are "complicating things" by asking Coates to do more things. But then again I guess player development is pretty complicated at SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, Jones from MD is the best big in the country and deserving of AA status....her complete set of stats when taking into account minutes played far exceed any other big and that includes Pheesa( although including her as a big is a stretch). Having said that Pheesa, IMO, is playing better than either Coates or Wilson.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We are going to disagree entirely and Coates will come up even shorter if you use Tina Charles as a bench mark.
Coates is hardly the shot altering presence to claim:
  • Freshmen Coates 73 Blocks in 668 minutes
  • Sophomore Coates 53 blocks in 770 Minutes
  • Junior Coates 45 Blocks in 937 Minutes
  • Senior Coates 28 Blocks in 492 Minutes so far.
Notice a pattern? When I said Coates is largely the same player she was as a Freshmen-I was wrong, she has actually regressed. Coates is not "just good at backs" she is only good at put backs with her right hand, going right, and shooting over people that are shorter than her.
It is a very interesting contrast, and the exact reason why I'm a UCONN fan, when you think that people are "complicating things" by asking Coates to do more things. But then again I guess player development is pretty complicated at SC.

Again.. stats don't tell the entire story. You're not accounting for the rise of A'ja Wilson, who, in not even three complete seasons, is already the statistical leader in blocked shots at SC. You went and found one argument to support your claim without even looking at the full picture.. but I digress.. you're right. Coates is regressing. She's no good. She probably won't even get drafted. Poor her.

And as far as that last statement. You're better than that. I thought you and I were above petty low blows at this point.

Reaction Score
IMO, Jones from MD is the best big in the country and deserving of AA status....her complete set of stats when taking into account minutes played far exceed any other big and that includes Pheesa( although including her as a big is a stretch). Having said that Pheesa, IMO, is playing better than either Coates or Wilson.
I like Osahor as an All American, also Billings UCLA has gotten so much better, not sure she's an All American tho.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again.. stats don't tell the entire story. You're not accounting for the rise of A'ja Wilson, who, in not even three complete seasons, is already the statistical leader in blocked shots at SC. You went and found one argument to support your claim without even looking at the full picture.. but I digress.. you're right. Coates is regressing. She's no good. She probably won't even get drafted. Poor her. And as far as that last statement. You're better than that. I thought you and I were above petty low blows at this point.
We are definitely above trading "petty" low blows. I really was not trying to be petty just a smart ass. :cool: My apologies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I like Jones a lot. I would be stunned if she's not an All-American. Another senior that has really taken her game to another level this season.

Collier has always intrigued me.. to me she's so much more than a big. She plays the 4 at UConn out of necessity but her game, IMHO, is very guard/forward-ish. I don't really think she's a true power forward.. If I could create a hybrid position for her then I liken her to be more of a 3/4 wing.. different from Samuelson, who I also think is a wing but more of the 3/2 variety. Collier is much more versatile offensively than either Coates or Wilson, so I think it's easier to say she's "playing better" in that aspect.

I like Osahor as an All American, also Billings UCLA has gotten so much better, not sure she's an All American tho.

Agreed. Osahor is putting up crazy rebounding numbers this year and I like Billings game a lot.. she may not be an All-American this year but I could definitely see her getting some accolades next year if she keeps improving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can't separate Katie Lou, Napheesa and Gabby. That is the problem. How do you not include a 5'11" center, who guards centers and guards equally as well, and leads the number one team in rebounds, assists and steals? Gabby has to be a first team AA. Katie Lou, my favorite player, and Napheesa as well, but the committee will never select three Huskies. That's just the truth. Add Kelsey Plum and a healthy Aja Wilson, and there are your five starters.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can't separate Katie Lou, Napheesa and Gabby. That is the problem. How do you not include a 5'11" center, who guards centers and guards equally as well, and leads the number one team in rebounds, assists and steals? Gabby has to be a first team AA. Katie Lou, my favorite player, and Napheesa as well, but the committee will never select three Huskies. That's just the truth. Add Kelsey Plum and a healthy Aja Wilson, and there are your five starters.
The WBCA has selected 3 UCONN Huskies for the AA team for 3 consecutive years now.
2016 Stewie, Moriah, Morgan
2015 Stewie, KML, Moriah
2014 Stewie, Bria, Stefanie

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member