1st team AA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

1st team AA

Reaction Score
I would add Sydney Wiese to the WBCA AA list. She is the point guard and leader of a good OSU team. In December she broke the PAC12 record for 3 pointers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here are some stats for consideration. Obviously, the strength of schedule, team's success, eye test, and other factors go into AA selections, but some of the numbers are surprising (high or low).

Player/PPG/FG%/RPG/Blocks/Team Record

Collier 19.2/.665/8.1/32/19-0

Coates 14.4/.681/10.9/28/17-1

Wilson 16.8/.583/7.4/34/17-1

Nina Davis 12.1/.585/4.6/6/19-1

Turner 14.7/.589/7.4/48/18-3

Anigwe 22.3/.620/10.2/36/15-5

Billings 18.2/.508/11.0/34/15-4

Osahor 15.5/.485/14.7/9/19-2

Napheesa is second in the group in scoring, behind only Anigwe. She is second in shooting percentage behind Coates. Her rebounding numbers are better than those of Wilson and Turner. She has more blocks than Coates and is close to Wilson, Billings, and Anigwe.

The question on Coates may be her scoring. Is 14.4 high enough?

Wilson's numbers are good, but not great.

Nina Davis's scoring and rebounds are too low. Brown and Mompremier are getting the rebounds now.

Turner's scoring and rebounds are a little low for AA status. Her blocks are very good.

Anigwe's stats are impressive--over 20 and 10.

Billings's shooting percentage is a little low for a post.

Osahor is a different type of player. She is not athletic enough to get blocks, and her shooting percentage is low because she shoots from the arc a lot, but she grabs rebounds like Courtney Paris.

My reading of these is that Napheesa makes a 10-player AA team.

Nina Davis is in the same boat that many UCONN players have been over the years. She has sacrificed personal stats for the success of the team. I agree that her numbers may be too low for voters to put her on the first team but she is playing some great team ball right now. She is getting her 12 points and 4.6 rebounds a game in only 20 minutes per game.

The depth for Baylor is hurting everyone's stats. Kalani Brown is shooting 69% from the floor, is averaging 14 points and 8 rebounds a game and has 42 blocks on the year, but only averages 19 minutes a game. If she were getting close to 30 minutes a game she would be in the AA discussion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here are some stats for consideration. Obviously, the strength of schedule, team's success, eye test, and other factors go into AA selections, but some of the numbers are surprising (high or low).

Player/PPG/FG%/RPG/Blocks/Team Record

Collier 19.2/.665/8.1/32/19-0

Coates 14.4/.681/10.9/28/17-1

Wilson 16.8/.583/7.4/34/17-1

Nina Davis 12.1/.585/4.6/6/19-1

Turner 14.7/.589/7.4/48/18-3

Anigwe 22.3/.620/10.2/36/15-5

Billings 18.2/.508/11.0/34/15-4

Osahor 15.5/.485/14.7/9/19-2

Napheesa is second in the group in scoring, behind only Anigwe. She is second in shooting percentage behind Coates. Her rebounding numbers are better than those of Wilson and Turner. She has more blocks than Coates and is close to Wilson, Billings, and Anigwe.

The question on Coates may be her scoring. Is 14.4 high enough?

Wilson's numbers are good, but not great.

Nina Davis's scoring and rebounds are too low. Brown and Mompremier are getting the rebounds now.

Turner's scoring and rebounds are a little low for AA status. Her blocks are very good.

Anigwe's stats are impressive--over 20 and 10.

Billings's shooting percentage is a little low for a post.

Osahor is a different type of player. She is not athletic enough to get blocks, and her shooting percentage is low because she shoots from the arc a lot, but she grabs rebounds like Courtney Paris.

My reading of these is that Napheesa makes a 10-player AA team.

Would be interesting to see minutes per game. I bet that almost all of these players are playing near 30 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
The RSHERMVIKES AA team is: (players must play both sides of the ball, not just offense!)
KL Samuelson F/G UCONN
Npheesa Collier F UCONN
Gabby Willams F/G UCONN
Kelsey Plum G UWashington
Kia Nurse G UCONN
A'ja Wilson F SoCar
Alaina Coates C SoCar
Alexis Jones G Baylor
Brionna Jones C MD
Leticia Romero G FSU

BEST OVERALL ATHLETES IN WCBB: Take your breath away athletic ability
Gabby Williams SF/G UCONN
Nina Davis SF Baylor
Shakayla Thomas SF FSU
Anriel Howard SF TX A&M
Breanna Lewis C KSU

No Mitchell, Osahor, Peterson, or Anigwe?

Reaction Score
Nina Davis is in the same boat that many UCONN players have been over the years. She has sacrificed personal stats for the success of the team. I agree that her numbers may be too low for voters to put her on the first team but she is playing some great team ball right now. She is getting her 12 points and 4.6 rebounds a game in only 20 minutes per game.

The depth for Baylor is hurting everyone's stats. Kalani Brown is shooting 69% from the floor, is averaging 14 points and 8 rebounds a game and has 42 blocks on the year, but only averages 19 minutes a game. If she were getting close to 30 minutes a game she would be in the AA discussion.

Kalani Brown would struggle to play 30mins a night and I am pretty sure her efficiency would drop when she was tired.

Reaction Score
As members of The Boneyard, have we considered the possibility that Mississippi State might actually be pretty dang good this year? Or are we permanently placing them in the bad team category because they lost by infinity to a superhuman UConn team LAST YEAR?

Miss St is not a very good basketball team. The only 2 quality wins they have are against Texas and Tenn. They also have been in very close games with Iowa St., USC, and Arkansas.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it's strictly WBCA AA. I can't find much to support that however, except this...
No, I believe they'll use AP, WBCA or USWBA. All 3 are listed in the Media Guide. Although the WBCA and USWBA picks are not different all that often. Both do a 10 player 1st team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Miss St is not a very good basketball team. The only 2 quality wins they have are against Texas and Tenn. They also have been in very close games with Iowa St., USC, and Arkansas.
Huh? They are a very good basketball team. They may not be an elite top 4 team but they are top 8 and can match up with virtually anyone other than UConn or Baylor. I would say the 3-12 teams are fairly interchangeable depending on the night and are very good basketball teams with varying dominant skills and some deficiencies. Try to be a bit measured when making statements about a 20-1 team who is dominating their conference with road wins in tough places. No one is UConn....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry I should've clarified - it's the Ann Meyers Award. It's not her personal list.
Well if you're clarifying, it's the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award. (USBWA NPOY Award) ;)

Reaction Score
You can't separate Katie Lou, Napheesa and Gabby. That is the problem. How do you not include a 5'11" center, who guards centers and guards equally as well, and leads the number one team in rebounds, assists and steals? Gabby has to be a first team AA. Katie Lou, my favorite player, and Napheesa as well, but the committee will never select three Huskies. That's just the truth. Add Kelsey Plum and a healthy Aja Wilson, and there are your five starters.
I think you have this just about right, but, alas, there are flaws in your argument, at least one of which you correctly point out. You have, understandably, and intelligently, selected the five best players in the game. As we know, however, that generally ain't how the process works. First off, as you suggest, there cannot be three Huskies, however deserving. Second, offensive stats always disproportionately sway the voters, who will thereby fail to justly reward the true number one overall player in the game, Gabby W., with even a first team AA nod...too bad. Thirdly, although some make the point that consensus preseason selections may not be named if their stats don't hold up, I find that contention, however logical, to often be untrue. Sports writers and commentators resist change with a mighty stubbornness, and the facts on the ground tend not to generally upset the applecart of their prior expectations...in other words, the "fix" tends to be in.

I think that the big girl from MD (Jones?) deserves a close look. I suspect that the committee will succumb to voting for Coates, who is, in fact, pretty good, unless she is playing UConn, against which her game is routinely "undressed" (thanks, Morgan) and her body language goes unmistakably South, which should never happen to a first team AA.

Anyway, while I like your analysis, I'm pretty certain that some players on our favorite team will be quite unfairly locked out...that's a shame...so we'll just have to content ourselves with #12!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kalani Brown would struggle to play 30mins a night and I am pretty sure her efficiency would drop when she was tired.

I disagree. Kalani has transformed her body, much the way Dolson did. How many minutes a game did Dolson average her last season? I am guessing 30+.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree. Kalani has transformed her body, much the way Dolson did. How many minutes a game did Dolson average her last season? I am guessing 30+.
32.3 Minutes per game.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see Coates AND Wilson. If they were undefeated and routing everyone, then maybe. I think both may be top-10, but not top-5.

I was undecided between Pheesa and Lou, but Lou's scoring and all-around game have moved her to near the top of the list.
Collier is so smooth and slick at getting all the important things accomplished that I'm shocked to see all her gaudy numbers. Sometimes she seems like Flash Gordon.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Against UCLA Brown played 29 minutes, scored 25 points (12-15 FG, 8-11 FT) grabbed 19 rebounds, had 5 blocks and 6 assists. She held up pretty well over those 29 minutes. If she were getting that many minutes on a consistent basis she would be in the AA discussion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Against UCLA Brown played 29 minutes, scored 25 points (12-15 FG, 8-11 FT) grabbed 19 rebounds, had 5 blocks and 6 assists. She held up pretty well over those 29 minutes. If she were getting that many minutes on a consistent basis she would be in the AA discussion.

I'd like to see Baylor and Miss State meet in a game..... Not sure if their is enough space in the paint for both Brown and McGowan :eek:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Baylor and Miss State meet in a game..... Not sure if their is enough space in the paint for both Brown and McGowan :eek:

And McGowan was seriously considering Baylor at one point. Can you imagine those two playing defense together? Where would the offensive players stand?

Reaction Score
And McGowan was seriously considering Baylor at one point. Can you imagine those two playing defense together? Where would the offensive players stand?

From what I have seen of MissState game, McGowan is not very good so I doubt that she would have gotten much playing time at Baylor.

Reaction Score
No Mitchell, Osahor, Peterson, or Anigwe?

TitleTown- - -IMHO Kelsey Mitchell is mainly an offensive player and plays enough D to get by!
I actually had Osahor in place of Coates and at the last minute changed them! I would not argue on her!
Anigwe at Cal I don't see enough as Directv doesn't have Pac 12 TV Network! Impressive #'s though!
And Alexis Peterson I have an anti-Syracuse bias and I called the list the RSHERMVIKES AA List!

Reaction Score
TitleTown- - -IMHO Kelsey Mitchell is mainly an offensive player and plays enough D to get by!
I actually had Osahor in place of Coates and at the last minute changed them! I would not argue on her!
Anigwe at Cal I don't see enough as Directv doesn't have Pac 12 TV Network! Impressive #'s though!
And Alexis Peterson I have an anti-Syracuse bias and I called the list the RSHERMVIKES AA List!

Fair enough. Just adding my .02 to a great discussion.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the anti-Wilson chatter seems like sour grapes to me. That woman can flat out play the game and would get my vote for POY. I would bet that if a WNBA could pick any college player, regardless of class, that Wilson would be the first chosen.

Second this. In my opinion, Wilson is the best all-around player in the country and better than anyone on the UConn roster right now. And her stats aren't inflated because she plays real competition in conference.

In contention for AA honors:
Aja Wilson
Alaina Coates
Brianna Turner
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Alexis Jones
Kelsey Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Lindsay Allen

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Second this. In my opinion, Wilson is the best all-around player in the country and better than anyone on the UConn roster right now. And her stats aren't inflated because she plays real competition in conference.

In contention for AA honors:
Aja Wilson
Alaina Coates
Brianna Turner
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Alexis Jones
Kelsey Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Lindsay Allen
Why only 9 players?
Neither Turner nor Allen is having the kind of year worth of consideration for AA honors. Either would be lucky at this point to make the All-AC team.
Brionna Jones of MD will make most AA teams.

Reaction Score
Why only 9 players?
Neither Turner nor Allen is having the kind of year worth of consideration for AA honors. Either would be lucky at this point to make the All-AC team.
Brionna Jones of MD will make most AA teams.

Concerning Turner's worthiness - - see her stats from tonight's game against #14 Duke. Allen also had 12 assist and 2 turnovers tonight. On the season, she's averaging an A/TO ratio of 3.6. For comparison, Moriah's was 2.83 her senior year.

Reaction Score
Concerning Turner's worthiness - - see her stats from tonight's game against #14 Duke. Allen also had 12 assist and 2 turnovers tonight. On the season, she's averaging an A/TO ratio of 3.6. For comparison, Moriah's was 2.83 her senior year.

Muffett- is that you? Since when did you join the boneyard?

MoJeff didn't get to where she was without elite defense and her shooting. You have to admit it's a bit strange that you'd reference assists to turnovers in some strange way to put Allen and MoJeff on a similar plane. Saniya Chong also has a better assist to turnover ratio than MoJeff. So what? Allen is doing one thing spectacular.

Also Muffett- isn't it odd that you are putting two players on a 3 loss team in which both players were decisively outplayed by a player whom you omitted? That same player's stats are also improving. How certain are that UCONN will lose to USC? SO unless you are certain Gabby Williams is going to play horribly how could you keep her off vs two ND players in which their team has 3 losses?

Is this your way Muffett of reliving the 2013-2014 season again of McBride for POY over Stewart?

In all seriousness your team - I would never underestimate (and if you are another fan other than ND -- but I do have to wonder how you can overlook the season and just go off what you project at the end of the season. Your bending over backwards pretending you are fair but actually unfair. Gabby has the better rebound average. The better assists while Turner is an awful passer so far. If you add up blocks and steals even that Gabby is defeating Turner while Gabby clearly, thoroughly outplayed her head-to-head. A fair fan doesn't overlook these things unless they are a fan of the team they want their players to get awards.)

If you aren't going to give a UCONN POY- and UCONN is undefeated and you want to cherry pick Turner's run from this point forward- then why not Gabby's? You realize she is playing much better too, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom